MK2 with "different fatalities"?

Kurgan

Okay, I know all you old school players have heard the rumors of the past about "different" versions of the Mortal Kombat games, especially MK1 and 2 with "different" stuff in them.

And I don't just mean the rumors about the red ninja ERMAC in MK1, a "play as Goro" code for MK1 (this was only present in the Gameboy version of MK1) or nudalities in MK3 or Animalities in MK2 or Brutalities in MK3, or Kano Transformations in MK2, or playing as Rain in UMK3 (the latter two were rumors deliberately started by Midway to fool gullible players). I mean like those "hacked" versions of MK1 that supposedly had new features and things.

Now thanks to emulation we have Mame and a few of these hacks, like MK2 4.2, Challenger, and 9.1. But despite the various gameplay changes, it seems like there are no modified finishing moves in these.

Is this an impossible dream? I remember how somebody was advertising the "ultra rare" PSX Japanese version of MK2 as having new fatalities. Through emulation I discovered this version was little different from the Saturn version.. that is to say, not quite arcade perfect, and the finishing moves were all identical to their arcade counterparts.

Even MK2 version 4.2 is listed as having "Kung Lao has bones in his hat fatality" yet nobody knows how to perform such a move and never has. Whoever put together this "Detail" in Mame history seems unverified.

So has anyone found PROOF of modified fatalities in classic versions of MK/2/3?

I'm not talking about the ones we all know about, that is, the SNES version of MK1, or the Genesis version with the blood turned off (it had "new" bloodless fatalities until you entered the blood code), or even the Game Gear/SMS versions of MK2 which had for example Reptile eating your entire body instead of just your head.

I'm not asking for fakes or rumors you heard, but any proof or things to try that might bring about these supposed "new fatalities."

I remember back in the day on the Prodigy BBSes there were some MK discussion boards (this was when MK1 was still fairly new in arcades) about this hack called "3.7" which sounded really crazy, but I never saw this or saw it emulated. It might be conceivable that these hacks really exist somewhere and have yet to be dumped and therefore emulatable in emulators like Mame. If that's true, we can only hope that somebody tracks them down and allows them to be dumped for the purpose!

I really wish I had an answer for you. I've been completely baffled by that Kung Lao "bones in hat fatality" thing for a few years now. I think I asked about it here, but that was quite a while ago now, and nobody really had an answer.

You'd think somebody out there has to fucking know about this thing.

Vigilante_FireDragon said:
I not so sure about that, but I think that's their version of MK2. I'm just guessing.

What do you mean their version?

I just wonder who started this rumor is all for Mame history... since nobody seems to have verified it.

They're just words with no truth to them. I was made aware of that ebay seller's claim of "different" fatalities a bit too late, because I would've liked to disprove them personally. I own the PS version of MKII, and it's exactly as you said it. Add injury to insult, the Saturn version's re-done music is there too.

My best guess is that someone took the altered fatalities in the SNES version of MK1 to heart and assumed that they were from an early arcade version of the game.

The only added finishing move in the games was MKII's Genesis version "Fergality".

Ouch, so you spent $100 on Japanese PSX MK2? Ouch!

Playing it on your psx console is kinda novelty I bet, but yeah, really pointless except as a rare collector's item.

Thanks for the reminder about the Fergality, I forgot about that one. ;)
A "joke" fatality for Raiden only, right? Turned your opponent into a big headed programmer with a tiny body in a cheesy leisure suit or something.

I think that was probably also ported over into the 32X version of MK2, which I played only briefly?

Too bad about the altered fatalities. I guess then we'll probably never see them in any new version either because the hacking of arcade games seems to be a lost art... except maybe for Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man.

I wonder what this goofy fatality was thought to look like? I pictured Kung Lao taking off his hat and the opponent getting sucked into it (like for Mileena's "kiss") and then him turning it upside down and lots of bones tumbling out. ;) You know, something cheesy that some hacker could have pieced together from existing animations in the game. What did other people imagine?

One other official change, I know the N64 version of MKT gave fatalities to Shao Khan and Motaro. I saw Motaro's fatality and it was extremely cheesy and recycled (rips off your head, using his punch and victory pose). I hear Shao Khan's he just laughs and hammers you (into the ground like Sheeva?) and then makes you explode with it.

We should also talk about other fake fatalites we heard about that never were...! Rumor mongering back in the day for the MK games online was like the kind of stuff people did with Star Wars. It was great fun. ;)

I never said I spent $100 on the PS version :) I actually got it off a marine stationed in Yokosuka for $50 in 2001.. now, I'm kind of stuck with it. I don't care about keeping a collection personally, I just want a perfect MK2 without having to buy the original arcade boards. I'll have to get back to you on that 32X Fergality .. I have that version too :p

And yup, Shao Kahn's fatality is just another poor recycling of animations. You can check it out in this complete fatality demo for MK1-MKG:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3944547331800598383

Before watching this about a week ago, I had forgotten that the limitations of the N64 MKT cart forced the team to reuse the shadow kick animtations for a fatality. The backbreaker from the PS/SS version was a good one.

Okay thanks. I just said that because I participating in the "investigation" and "debunking" of a person who was doing some ebay auctions of a lot of MK game stuff (including a few copies of the Japanese PSX version of MK2) on ebay, and apparently selling it for very high prices (and saying it always went for such high prices because of its "rarity"). I thought maybe you were one of the people who got caught up in it.

Seeing as you got it for $50, that's pretty reasonable. Playing it emulated was enough for me. I saw tiny improvements over the Saturn version in some areas, and drawbacks to it in other areas. Glad you didn't get ripped off!