Old School roll call!!!

I've been playing MK2 and 3 since they've first came out (I must admit I've never got the chance to play MK1 in arcades), but I haven't lost my touch even though I've been away from the arcades in over a year.

I was so good at UMK3 in the arcades but I actually kinda sucked for a long time with the home version.

I REALLY suck at the arcade MK1 but am really good with the home version.

Patrick McCarron said:
Glad to see so many familiar faces here... I just found this thread today (been busy with other site aspects preparing for E3 in LA next week)

And keeping it old school, this year I purchased a MK2 cabinet (with UMK3 in it) for about 350 and now have added MK1 and MK2 into it. Well I also have my other favorite, Killer Instinct in it as well. It's not fully complete, needs some securing down of the game boards a bit better, etc. But it really brings back the memories.

Whats up man, i remmeber u, I met ya at Just for Fun in arlington heights when Mk4 came out.

Anyways, i used to wreak havok in the arcades back in the day playin one thru 4. Tried out the newer next-gen Mks but i dont like them at all.

Wow!! Ratman!! Holy cow, never thought I'd see your name again lol. I remember downloading pictures from your FTP site back in the MK2/3 days using freaking lynx on the schools unix boxes. Long time no see man. And Jenn from alt.games.mk, and of course McCarron. Wow, cool to see you guys are around still. I kinda agree with Jen though, I stopped playing MK when it became TK (Tekken Kombat what I like to call it now) But I love Tekken probably as much as MK. Just don't like them together lol.

Well nice to see you folks are still around, brings back some nice memories.

Damn Ratman is a blast from the past :smile: I also remember people like the guy that believed Mortal Kombat is real and he had a website called Lin Kuei Headquarters or something. Everyone remember any more old schoolers?

The golden age of Mortal Kombat was back between the end of 1992 until mid 1994...along with the golden age of the arcades and of course Mortal Kombat's rival Street Fighter. I miss those days :sad:

I remember Motaro was my arch-arcade-nemises and I still remember first time taking him down with Liu Kang. I also remember taking down all my friends with Raiden in mk2. welcome all the newcomer... old school...er any of you ppl sticking around? oh and chiefy I agree with you, the current gen mk games have nothing on their predecessors but i guess these things have to move with the times.

Yep, they say that Time is a Killer? Time has certainly killed classic MK, for the most part. It's the fans that keep it alive. And just look at all the fans, not only in this thread, but within this entire forum. Without them and the rest of the MK fans throughout the entire world, there is no classic MK.

And yes, things have to move on, advance, improve. And there's a million other ways to describe the progress of such things. Without such progress, things would become stagnent. But at the end of the day, it's great to see people keep the older stuff alive. This of course applies to an almost infinite variety of things.

MK being the most important, of course. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Yep, they say that Time is a Killer? Time has certainly killed classic MK, for the most part. It's the fans that keep it alive. And just look at all the fans, not only in this thread, but within this entire forum. Without them and the rest of the MK fans throughout the entire world, there is no classic MK.

I guess the reasons that the current gen games havent lived up to their legacy is that there is no prospect of player invention its all stifled and controlled. I remember Boon saying somewhere that he "walked into an arcade once and saw ppl using kitana combos that even he didnt know existed". another reason i think is that in the more recent games the controls have been far difficult to use effectively (a problem since mk4) and are not as smooth as they have been in the past.

I guess the reasons that the current gen games havent lived up to their legacy is that there is no prospect of player invention its all stifled and controlled. I remember Boon saying somewhere that he "walked into an arcade once and saw ppl using kitana combos that even he didnt know existed". another reason i think is that in the more recent games the controls have been far difficult to use effectively (a problem since mk4) and are not as smooth as they have been in the past.
I also recall reading something along those lines years ago. Interesting, isn't it? Dude, I hate the controls on all of the MK games after MK4/Gold. That's at least 50% of my problem. I just can't adjust accordingly to the 3D environment. And I seem to be stuck in the 2D world. I never play MKDA or MKD. I suck so bad at them, that I never even talk about them. Only on the forums do I marginally discuss these games. Infact, I have seen maybe 10% of all the endings and fatalities allup in both of the aforementioned titles. Sad, isn't it? I continue to play classic MK and never really get bored with it. I am literally stuck in the past. I'm a complete N00B at MKDA and MKD. I couldn't do a combo larger than 5 hits if my life depended on it.

I guess if I really wanted to become proficient at the current generation of MK games, then I should play them long and hard? But I'm just not interested. Howver, I am very keen to play MKA and am determined to learn this game no matter what! On occasion I do get the urge to pop in MKD just to mess around with it, but I never do. That's how much I hate it. As for MKSM, that game bores me to tears. I completed it once and got a 69% completion ratio. I had all good intentions to return and scour out the other shit, but I couldn't be bothered.

Meh...

But that's the problem. Things are not improving or advancing. The only thing in MK that seems to improve and advance is the storyline....
They advance, but don't improve, I think. I agree partially with the story part. That also advances, but In my opinion doesn't improve. Not for the whole part anyways.

Last edited:
Hey Ratman, I doubt you remember me but back in good old 1995, my first experience with MK3 you were kicking my ass at Aladdin's Castle in the most ghetto mall, the Steeplegate Mall lol...Anyways glad to heat you are alive and kicking. Thanks for rat.org I just took what i lerned from my ass beatings from you and played at funspot against the punks up there

I think it was Sir Gallahad or something.

Sir Galahad was Chris McCullough who wrote the "Compendium" FAQ which contained intros, moves, combos and stuff like that. He ran the Lin Keui Headquarters website and I also used to host his Compendium at the MK WWW pages back in the day!

I'm going to resurrect this thread that is 3 years old, but I'll be damned if I'm going to not contribute to this. I was big on MK in the arcades back when the original came out, then MK2, and MK3. At first I went by Kano81 (since I was born in 81, which put me at about 13 or 14 when everyone else in #mk3 seemed to be a few years older than me), then later revkano or reverend (reference to Marilyn Manson, not a Christian reverend or anything).

I feel like I was in on the ground floor of the internet, mainly due to #mk3 on efnet. I heard more strange jargon there that eventually became Internet speak so it was kind of odd to later hear people saying "leet" or "31337" when I had heard that back in #mk3 ages ago. Anyone remember that gag about some dude's beard having giblets in it? Can't remember his name for the life of me, maybe sektor? Still funny.

I happened to come across Patrick McCarron in a forum I was reading about the iPhone, and visited his website, then he had a link to here, then I was browsing the forums and came across this thread. So cool reading some of the messages from the old-timers.

ratman, I remember the greatest thing was getting an account on your site.. kano@rat.org, oh man that was so awesome. Truly felt like I belonged at that point. And running IRC on Linux, for some reason I thought that was the epitome of coolness. F mIRC.

My #mk3 homies were druboy, Digital-C, rat, McCarron, Tetsu0, TonyD, mack 10, and my god so many others I can't even remember. That was such a great time. I learned more about computers there than I ever could have. I had written a web page before anyone I knew in real life had even used the web.

I stopped playing MK seriously after UMK3, so I played MK4 a few times but never got in to it. I still really like games, mainly the Halo series, but it sucks that the arcades aren't what they used to be. I was in to Tekken for a while but nothing like MK and KI.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that. Feel free to contact me if you wish to reminisce since I doubt I'll check this much. I grew up in Wichita, KS and I still live in Kansas but up in Manhattan.

Alas I was born and raised in Boca Raton to a pair of parents that couldn't have been less approving of gaming if they'd tried. But I'm a persistent fellow and whenever I saw an MK machine I played the bejeesus out of it. Not that it made me any good at it mind you, I just played it a lot. Still suck at 2D fighters to this day.

I'm sad I missed out on all that fun, but I've had plenty of fun here.

I'm going to resurrect this thread that is 3 years old, but I'll be damned if I'm going to not contribute to this. I was big on MK in the arcades back when the original came out, then MK2, and MK3. At first I went by Kano81 (since I was born in 81, which put me at about 13 or 14 when everyone else in #mk3 seemed to be a few years older than me), then later revkano or reverend (reference to Marilyn Manson, not a Christian reverend or anything).

I feel like I was in on the ground floor of the internet, mainly due to #mk3 on efnet. I heard more strange jargon there that eventually became Internet speak so it was kind of odd to later hear people saying "leet" or "31337" when I had heard that back in #mk3 ages ago. Anyone remember that gag about some dude's beard having giblets in it? Can't remember his name for the life of me, maybe sektor? Still funny.

I happened to come across Patrick McCarron in a forum I was reading about the iPhone, and visited his website, then he had a link to here, then I was browsing the forums and came across this thread. So cool reading some of the messages from the old-timers.

ratman, I remember the greatest thing was getting an account on your site.. kano@rat.org, oh man that was so awesome. Truly felt like I belonged at that point. And running IRC on Linux, for some reason I thought that was the epitome of coolness. F mIRC.

My #mk3 homies were druboy, Digital-C, rat, McCarron, Tetsu0, TonyD, mack 10, and my god so many others I can't even remember. That was such a great time. I learned more about computers there than I ever could have. I had written a web page before anyone I knew in real life had even used the web.

I stopped playing MK seriously after UMK3, so I played MK4 a few times but never got in to it. I still really like games, mainly the Halo series, but it sucks that the arcades aren't what they used to be. I was in to Tekken for a while but nothing like MK and KI.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that. Feel free to contact me if you wish to reminisce since I doubt I'll check this much. I grew up in Wichita, KS and I still live in Kansas but up in Manhattan.

Welcome.

While not a original forum member nor this #mk3 IRC room thing, I've frequented Pat's site since I first came across in 1998 while tryin to find info about MK4 etc.

Good stuff. :)

i have been playing mk since day 1. i remeber the machine being rolled into the arcade. i was 7 years old at the time. my sister was the first person i played mk with, we put our money in the cabinet and i picked kano because he reminded me of the terminator and my sister picked sonya. she kicked my ass.i remember my grandma was there and thought the game was cool. i can remember it so clearly, i was hooked from that moment. i've played owned and enjoyed every mk made. 1992 was a special year for me. i miss destroying people as a 7 and 8 year old, the looks on all the older dudes faces when they kept pouring in quarters just to be mercilessly crushed by a child will forever be some of my most priceless memories. so here is to hoping mk9 will bring back the fire for all the old school fans of mk, i'm just as pumped for mk9 as i was for mk 2. am i the only one who loves the 3d mk's as much as the 2d arcade fighting days?

Well, I guess technically I don't. I enjoy the 3D MKs for some things, but I remember enjoying the old-school games more back when I played them for the first time. It's difficult to compare something so treasured from a by-gone era with something up to today's standards.

But I do very much love Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Shaolin Monks. MKA sucked balls. And MKvDC didn't pull me in as much as I would have liked. Beat it in a day. But all that's been said a million times before.

I started playing MK when I was 4 in summer camp and it was an obsession all the way through 5th or 6th grade. All my art projects were Scorpion or Sub-Zero, I played EVERY game on any system or cabinet I could get my hands on. As I say I played them a lot. But always on Very Easy and always on the Novice column in UMK3. I'm just plain no good. Pisses me off a little.

Count me in - The early days of the modern day internet, FAQs/move lists, countless MK fan pages, I even had my own at one point after teaching myself how to write HTML. I idled on efnet #mk3 with the rest of the guys and unfortunately stopped for some reason. Probably been a good 10 years since that point. I was saddened to see that when I finally went back on, #mk3 was defunct, which in all honesty wasn't a total surprise, but sad nonetheless. The last MK I played was either the first or second 3D console game. The arcade scene dying hurt, and I never (still haven't) really bought into the home consoles... not the same in my book. It's cool to see a lot of old names still kickin it, especially the IRC names that would frequent #mk3. I really do hope everyone is doing well. Props to Jeff and Pat for still doing the damn thing.. good work.