Video Game Law

biggystyles

Well it seems that in my little province in Canada is stepping down on ppl renting r rated games to minors $5000 to the person who is renting it to the minor and $100,000 to the business for the FIRST OFFENCE well here is the link for the new item
Click Here

*pokes really long link with a 10ft stick*

That seems a bit strick a fine for something like that. A kid is gonna watch this sooner or later anyway.

Well thats bullshit. So if my mom or dad rents me a M game cus im at work or somthing and im 17 does that mean they get fined?

They will never be able to enforce it, not on that kind of scale. Over here in Crocodile Dundee land we don't really give a shit. We don't have a problem with it. Minors can get a hold of anything really, even Pr0n :shock:

Thats a stupied law i dont know whats happening but there finning people and making new law as if it was a game. There stupied people and they should be the ones that are getting fined for making up stupied laws like that

Watch it guys soon one of the Prez's running for Office mighte say that if he gets elected he will try to ban video games.

doubt that will succeed.. Video game industry is huge, and its like a multimillon dollar business... With games coming from all over the world. And besides the makers would just go elsewhere.

Meh don't worry biggy, that law wont last. Sooner or later that same situation that happened in California will happen there. Just imagine what would happen if the same law was in Manitoba? (80-90% of the people who live in Winnipeg are gamers)

Wow, you can really tell who's under 17 in this thread, can't you? :lol:

Anyway, this doesn't bother me. Why shouldn't video games be held with the same scrutiny as movies and everything else? Granted those fines are insane, but places shouldn't be renting/selling M-rated games to kids anyway.

Nothing in that law says parents can't buy that stuff for their kids, either, and I think that's the way it should be. Whether or not your parents think you're mature enough to play games with excessive gore, swearing, and prostitute-murdering is ultimately what should determine if you're playing these games or not.

No parents have to much power allready. If i want to play a game i get it. I dont give a flying shit what my parents say about it , i stoped listening to them when i found out that they are full of shit. And almost 90% of parents dont even look at the games they rent for their kids becuase they could care less. Becuase of a few idiots murdering people then saying the video games caused them to do it , we have to suffer. i saw fuck the ratings. hell im turning 16 in 20 days and i just go up to counters and buy or rent them. they dont ask for parents or older person , and if they do i just get a buddy of mine whos over 18 , but most of the time no one cares cus i look over 18 allready. Just one request , pleas put a Pube scanner attachaed to each xbox so it makes you scan and if you have gone through it then it wont let you online , that would make halo 2 much best. :)

Zeta333 said:
No parents have to much power allready. If i want to play a game i get it. I dont give a flying shit what my parents say about it , i stoped listening to them when i found out that they are full of shit.

Wow. Maturity ftw. I want you to think good and hard about something...what if the government actually does start with this FEPA shit? Read the lefthand column, and explain to me how any of that is fair?

What am I getting at, you ask? I would rather have a parent tell me what game I should, and should not be able to play than have the government step in. This is just bullshit. Kthx.

DeathcoreRyknow said:
Anyway, this doesn't bother me. Why shouldn't video games be held with the same scrutiny as movies and everything else? Granted those fines are insane, but places shouldn't be renting/selling M-rated games to kids anyway.

I agree, everything should be viewed equally. Not that video games are going to be the fall of western society.

And finally:

Fuck Jack Thompson. That is all.

Robot Commander said:
Meh don't worry biggy, that law wont last. Sooner or later that same situation that happened in California will happen there. Just imagine what would happen if the same law was in Manitoba? (80-90% of the people who live in Winnipeg are gamers)

Well I really don't think I have to worry about the age restrictions due to the fact that I am 23, but I am just thinking about al the young gamers out there. and as for saying it won't last it will here in this province , I hate to say it but I feel it will they will just do the same thing for ppl who sell smoke to minors, our premier (govaner for you yanks) said they are going to make this work, "for the betterment of our children"

I must say I am deeply disturbed by some of the comments here.

"meh, don't worry that law wont last"

or

"meh, don't worry that law will expire and no-one can enforce it"

(Im paraphrasing ofcourse)

You guys are all wrong. Next thing you know Hillary can get elected and BANG, video games can be banned. You guys have to fight to play video games. I am turning 24 soon, and I only play the finest video games.
(I mean I only play a select few video games, and not as much as I used to)

If they stopped making video games I would say "okay I had a good run for the past 13 years."

But you guys have to want it bad. I can already tell that none of you are poltically savy. If they invaded iraq and changed a regime, they can change the regime right here folks.

Remeber folks, if it's a law on the books, it is a law on the books...

For example if legistlation goes through the house and it is made law, that pretty much means game over.

This is like a car or train wreck. I can see it comming from a mile away.

There's also a law in California that our crappy ass govenor(sorry if I misspelled)is making it illegal to sell "M" rated games to minors.
I hate Arnold. :evil:

outworld222 said:

or

You guys are all wrong. Next thing you know Hillary can get elected and BANG, video games can be banned. You guys have to fight to play video games. I am turning 24 soon, and I only play the finest video games.

If they stopped making video games I would say "okay I had a good run for the past 13 years."

But you guys have to want it bad. I can already tell that none of you are poltically savy. If they invaded iraq and changed a regime, they can change the regime right here folks.

For example if legistlation goes through the house and it is made law, that pretty much means game over.

how long do you think hilary would last after she proposed her ban on video games? How long do you think she will live without holes in her head. and now that you think about it , there is no way they can take all our games away from us now , cus if they tried there would be a few million standoffs and i dont think there are enough cops to handle us.

Ghost said:
There's also a law in California that our crappy ass govenor(sorry if I misspelled)is making it illegal to sell "M" rated games to minors.
I hate Arnold. :evil:

Hm. you're right, minors should be able to buy games that weren't meant for them :roll:

Zeta333 said:
outworld222 said:

or

how long do you think hilary would last after she proposed her ban on video games? How long do you think she will live without holes in her head. and now that you think about it , there is no way they can take all our games away from us now , cus if they tried there would be a few million standoffs and i dont think there are enough cops to handle us.

to handle "us?" Kid, I don't know about anyone else, but I'll be damned if I let idiots speak for me on this issue. Think about it:

- Video games get banned

- Certain people attack police officers, using video games as their excuse

- Said certain people inadvertantly JUSTIFY THE LAW THAT WAS PASSED

Kid, its time to stop acting like you're such a badass, and think for two damn seconds. If there were violent riots, the law would be justiifed in the maker's eyes, and you would be even deeper in the hole of shit that you don't even know you're in.

to zeta333.

Ive actually thought of this, but decided not to post it, but now I will.

Theoretically, even if video games were banned, we will still be allowed to keep our "former" video games.

So for instance, she wouldn't be able to take away MK:A or half-life 2 from us...

That's the first point. As for the second point, Im not too concerned with our standings with cops. Teens already don't have any rights, and us "young adults" rarely vote anyways, so our opinions don't count as much....

I'm just saying it could happen. video games could get banned. Its a 50/50 in my opinion....depends on who is elected I guess...

Zeta333 said:
outworld222 said:

or

Now honestly do you think someone would kill a president over a video game when right now there is Bush, and all his evil doings, you know now that I think about it maby there should be some IQ requirements for games and videos, due to the fact the awnser to a law against video games means someone would kill a president or have a stand off. sorry for flamming man but...........

Strickly speaking to all those under 18 (M-rated is 18 in the UK, so excuse me for using that age here)... You know, its not a big thing waiting until your that age to be able to buy this sort of thing. The games weren't designed for you anyway. When your 18 no one can stop you buying stuff.

I don't blame you though for wanting these games. When I was a young gamer they didn't have age limits on games ( :D ). I think the kind of game they want you to play are... Naff. But until your 18 you shouldn't expect to get your hands on these games nor call the law bad for saying you shouldn't play them. The law is there for a reason, you should know the limits of what you can do as a minor.

Though I don't know one person under 18 who hasn't seen a horror movie or played a 18+ game. Hell, I have 2 half brothers under the age of 10 who play Duke Nuke 'em and a lot worst. My mother keeps an eye on them and they know better then to try and play out what the play in RL?

Incidently, big brothers/sisters, uncles and aunts are good resources when it comes to getting games until your 18. And if you 'look' old enough, bootsales (yard sales in your case) though have second hand stuff are a good place to look for stuff. People at non-comerical sales never check for age.

And BTW I didn't just say all that. :wink: