Kung Lao is better...

pheonix

Alright after playing with both fighters with equal amount of time, I've concluded Kung Lao is better. Before all of you Liu fans kill me let me explain.

Playability goes to: Kung Lao

For some reason I feel good or better preforming his combos, and they seem easier. Hell I killed Goro and Kintoro/Shao Khan with Kung's air combos alone... I had to run and shoot my projectiles with Liu.

Projectile: Liu Kang

This is very easy to see his projectiles are faster, and easier to use, which led me to using physical attacks/combos on all of the bosses.

Combo King: Kung Lao

During the begining alone *the first three oni in the game*, I racked up 120 hit combo on them with his air quick attack combo. Which also got me Toasty rating, and enough experiance to upgrade to level 2 on most of my skills. *The Oni King/War Lord in the Pit area racked me up to 150 hits, which led to flawless spector.

Faster movement:

Now this may differ for some of us but I give it to Kung. His running speed attack is not only useful for escaping projectile attacks, but also is an easy way to kill Goro, etc.

Better moves: Liu

Simply put he has better moves, Kung Lao's Spinning attack is great if used wisely, and his hat has saved me but Liu is just more powerful in that department.

Boss Killer: *the harder ones near the end* Kung

I killed Ermac within 20 seconds. *Ok so 23 seconds*

Goro never even hit me before I combo'd him into oblivion, and the rest died pretty quicly with the exception of Khan who thought he would kill me with his stupid spinning hammer luckily I kicked his feet out from under him. *The speed attack while running works wonders*

Fatality-wise: ????

This is highly based off of opinion. I mean I love dragons but Kung Lao's rabbit fatalities, and buzzsaw fatality. So I conclude a tie.

Death wise: Both seem to die in huge swarms after LONG periods of time.

Speed to beat game: Kung

Liu: "1:53" 1 hour 53 minutes.

Kung Lao: "1:22" 1 hour an 22 minutes. And yes I did KL's story first so I knew my way through the game, and skipped Smoke's missions in Liu's story./Ermac fight.

Highest jump: Kung

During the begining stage I easily got that one red yin-yang item in the second room at the top of the cieling just by Kung's air combo.

Stronger: Liu

I noticed even Liu's shorter combos are a tad bit stronger than Kung's combos.

Also this topic was to explain an easier means to kill Goro, Kintoro, Shang, and Khan.

All you have to do is A) Start running

b)Shoot projectile of character

C/D) If they stumble back combo them with an air attack *only use air*, if they don't run at them and press the quick attack button/speed attack button. You should ht them for about 3-4 hits, and do more damage.

E)Repeat and they should go down in NO time at all.

Unlike most people who say use projectiles and then run. Wrong. Run, shoot, combo/speed attack, repeat. As simple as that and it takes WAY less time.

Now I just have to play through Scorpion's/Sub-Zero's story to find out who is better there.

Another thing, I noticed many people complaining about the sound for the MK2 unlockable... Maybe I'm lucky but mine sounds the same as my SNES version/SG version with the exception that Barak's projectile, and "Fatality" don't sound quite right, and I get music from the stages exactly like from my MK2 cartridge...

*Although still haven't been able to fight Smoke damn you Midway!*

I guess that is it for now. I'm sorry if most of this has been mentioned before.

Well that's all well and good, but really irrelevant. Which character you prefer is well...up to you. I prefer Scorpion for his fast, hard-hitting attacks and terrific special moves. It's all up to the player. You only seem to be comparing him to Liu tho, in that case I would say I prefer Kung for bosses and Liu for average combat (I like the aerial combos Liu has).

^I can't put Scorpion/Sub-Zero in yet because I haven't finished their story or played as them yet. Once I do I'll put a whole thing for both of them.

I find them about equal in battle. Liu had a way easier time with Khan.

*Kung Lao's hat projectile takes too much time to return, and I keep forgetting to press R2 to grab Kintoro's head. Once I finish both of the other two ninja's stories, I will compare and contrast all of them.

Kung Vs. Sub-Zero

Kung Vs. Scorpion

Liu Vs. Sub-Zero

Liu VS. Scorpion

and I'm guessing a big showdon.

Scorpion VS. Sub-Zero

I have played as all 4 characters and Out of Kung Lao and Lui Kang I think Kung Lao is better. Not only in my opinion does he have better moves and fatalities, he also doesnt moan like a little girl when he fights. But I think Scorpion and Sub Zero has better moves than both put together but then again you have to beat the game with both Lui and Kung to unlock them so they should be better.

Ah, thanks for reminding me off this, but no. IMHO Kung Lao is even better than both Scorpion and Sub-Zero...

Kung Lao Vs. Scorpion:

Moves: Kung Lao

Scorpion does have his spear but for some reason... It sucks! It is better just to uppercut the opponent. His moves weren't balanced to a good way.

Speed: Again goes to Kung Lao.

Scorpion fights like Liu-Kang with the exception of Kung-Lao's T combo thing. Otherwise they are basically the same usage.

Plus his projectile takes too damn long to work. The bosses really love that.

Fatalities: Kung Lao

You can't even put them two in the same place, since Scorpion has less fatalities, and IMO they aren't that great. They could have had them way better. But nope they didn't.

Projectiles: Kung see mentioned above

Combo King:

Kung Lao 190 hits Toasty!

Scorpion: 110 with the interruption of a giant club.

Highest Jump: Kung.

Stronger: Scorpion but think of him as a duplicate of Liu Kang.

Speed to beat game:

Replay of Kung Lao- 1:15 but I skipped a few things.

Scorpion: 1:59

Winner: Kung Lao

Sub-Zero VS. Kung Lao:

Playability: Kung

Damn it Midway even in the cut scenes they call Sub-Zero Liu Kang. His moves are almost copy and paste moves from Kung but they fall flat, without some of his certain combos. Plus he seems way different than the other three.

Projectile: Kung

Although it lands a free hit the last few bosses don't take much damage from Sub-Zero's projectile. Although Kung Lao takes a little longer to preform it is worth it.

Combo King:

Kung Lao: 190 Toasty!

Sub-Zero: 125 Devastating!

Faster movement: Kung

With the exception of Sub-Zero's glide, slide/etc. Kung Lao is a faster fighter and mover. I mean Sub-Zero even sucks at fighting plainly put. Midway why did you betray your two most famous characters. Scorpion and Sub-Zero should be good in this game!

Better moves : Kung

I hate to say that. But by how they just made Sub-Zero and Scorpion a CAP job, I really can't learn to play them that well.

Fatality: Kung Lao

Sub-Zero didn't even get but what 3 fatalities? Suckulent!

Speed:

Kung Lao *third try*: 1:22

Sub-Zero: 1: 43

Close but not close enough.

highest jump:

Sub-Zero seems to luckily enough.

Stronger: Kung Lao

I don't even want to say it. Sub-Zero lacks.

So in conclusion Kung Lao is better than them all. Now we will see who gets second place. Liu Kang, it is sad but true, our favorite ninjas/etc. Have been slumped together in a rotting pile of shit.

Stay tuned to see: Sub-Zero VS. Scorpion

Once again, stats are playability are not always corralary to one another. It's all personal preference, this is pointless. Like I said, I'm better with Scorpion, you're better with Kung Lao (who does pwn bosses the best I must say). Even if Kung is better Scorp is still more fun.

True but Scorpion and Sub-Zero got the short stick on fatalities, and moves, thus I really can't contrast/etc. With Kung and Scorpion/Sub-Zero...

I mean what was Midway thinking. Sub-Zero and Scorpion deserved their own set of skills/moves that weren't played like the other two. I mean even the cut-scenes are the same.

Kung Lao: Look out Liu Kang!

Scorpion in place of Liu: *Kicks oni ass*

Sort of dumb how they did that and why. I'm sure they had more than enough space on the disk to give them two proper moves/etc.

There is a tip for shao kahn...While he gets on his knees(cause he's tired)you do the HAT SHIELD(kung lao) move and just stand next to him without hitting him,and if its a coop mode make your partner throw kintaro's head on shao kahn with the HAT SHIELD move

That's right but the Pulse Spin attack for Kung Lao makes all bosses a breeze, but ESPECIALLY large bosses like the Oni Warlord, Goro, Kintaro, and Shao Kahn since they arn't knocked down they get hit even more than normal characters do.

Also, note that Midway already had plans to release MK:A a year after MK:SM and MK:SM is really only a filler, thus they rushed the development and therefore the excuse for lack of content. Now, it's still just an excuse, which is inexcusable.

I don't mind the game itself, just the attacking styles of the characters.

I mean VS. mode really does suck. The fatalities are really not that good with a few exceptions. (Kung Lao's Buzz Saw IMO is great)

Now give me a few crappy drawings no problem but lack on the characters fighting and give me death.

Tis why I dispise having to even compare two characters who were rushed and made into crap... Scorpion and them should have been made a lot better than just giving crappy fatalities to Liu which some along with Kung's suck major ass.

In my opinion Liu Kang is better. But thats because I'm a Liu Kang fan.

I took less time with Liu Kang with the game but that was because I never played it when I used Kung Lao. Plus Liu Kang is easier to use because he has better special moves and he has harder hits and good combos. The only thing I like about Kung Lao is speed and the ability to richeshae (( Sp? )) the hat all over the place. I'll give out the bosses nominees.

Oni: Tie
Well he's the easiest boss in the game so what? Just kick his ass and get it over with.

Mileena Jade and Kitana (( Aka the three morons. )): Both.
Liu Kang because you can flying kick them all over the place. And Kung Pao because of the hat.

Reptile:Liu Kang
When Reptile disappears you got the try to hit him. So I just used Lius flying kick. Plus it makes Reptile quicker to beat.

Baraka: Kung Lao
What do I say all the time? THE HAT!

Goro:Kung Lao
Just keep on air comboing him and teleporting and he's dead meat.

Sub Zero: Kung Lao
Since he teleports you can avoid his freeze

Scorpian: Liu Kang
Since Scorpian is powerful Liu Kang almost gets it done quicker.

Shang Stung: Liu Kang
If he morphs into different people, it's more easier if he morphs into Reptile since he has no moves.

Kintaro: Liu Kang
If he goes for the teleport stomp just try a flying kick and get the f out of there!

Shao Kahn: Still thinking let me get back to you on that.

My opinion. Go ahead and mix things up.

You had trouble with Kintaro, and Shao Khan?

Kung's Jump Kick combo saved me from becoming dead.

Also Guarding is your friends wait for them to jump/swing and then boom. There you go.

Actually I don't like either Kung Lao or Liu Kang. I'm very void on them. Thye both have good fatalities since MK2, but I really never payed any special attention to them. Scorpion, Reptile, Sub-Zero, Noob Saibot, Ermac, Rain, etc. And the cyborgs mostly got it.

Now I like Liu in the game but by the way Kung can handle bosses with his running then speed attack combo when facing opponents with fast speed/4 arms.

I have recieved 200 hit combo on Khan without using his hat throw and to me that move sucks. Seriously I never even upgraded it to stage two until I completed the game.

Now sure you may like Liu that is fine but the statistics say he is worse by at least a .5 percent.

Heck IMHO Kung Lao is a worthless character with just special fatalities. Lius Dragon fatalities won me over from the start.

Well why all of you have great answers and I agree with most of them. I must say though, Kung Lao is the easiest to pull off combos and slightly faster. I do like Liu Kang for his fireballs and flying kick. Plus the dashing roll he does is awesome. I am also a huge Subzero fan so he is awesome and I like him better than Scorpion really. That slide is so nice. Plus both ninjas have an awesome pop up and juggle in the air combo. Its like they do a punch that seeks right at the guy and then juggles. I do think Subzeros air juggle seems a little bit smoother to keep it juggling than Scorpion. You have to admit though, Kung Lao and his dive kicks are so freakn nice for air juggling. Specially in KO-OP. Pure pwnage!

sure, Kung Lao is very good at handling, but SubZero is better in my opinion. KL may have better hits and projectiles, but SubZero's style and moves make him an all-around asset.