Rayden or Raiden?

For the pronounciation, it's Ray-den, but in actual words for the meaning god of lightning and thunder, it's spelled out Raiden. So it doesn't matter which one it is! As long as I can play with the character, I don't care about the spelled word.

Check out the arcade games (MK1, MK2, MK3.. not UMK3 because he's not mentioned in that game I don't think, and MK4), which are THE definitive versions (at least in HMO! though of course people say that MKG trumps MK4, the one exception in that list). It's spelled "Raiden" and pronounced IN-GAME as "Ray-Den" not "r-eye" or any other variat thereof. If you want to really get technical I think MK2 rolls his "R" like a frenchman, but it's nothing close to "r-eye" ! ;)

The only versions of the game that spell it "raYden" are the console ports, and MK Trilogy (sadly, since it was never released in arcades).

I'm not sure about MKGold (haven't checked in awhile), Deadly Alliance or Deception (haven't played the latter too).

Since it's only the home versions that are different and it was done for legal reasons, not story reasons...
So it's spelled "Raiden" and pronunced like "ray-den."

Poor kids who didn't grow up with the series can't be blamed for not knowing the true Ol' Lightnin' Hat's name. ;)

okay, here's the score-settling draw: in the GAME even, you hear the voice say "ray-den." can we PLEASE lock this thread now? i think we have our problem solved.

I can't believe its always being bumped... Yes lock it. We all know the MK crew got it wrong anyway. Why does every new member have to insist bumping this topic to say 'Its Rayden' or whatever. :x

See, there! You had to toss that in didn't you, and keep the debate alive! ;)

How did they 'get it wrong'? They made up the character! And I don't care if it is based on the "god of thunder" because he's nothing like this mythological character, just like Lui Kang is nothing like Bruce Lee and Johnny Cage is nothing like Jean Claude Van Damme. Inspiration, yes, faithful copy, no, and not meant to be so. ;)

For another example, compare Sheeva to the Hindu deity Shiva. Similar name, multiple arms, but not the same thing!

hire the announcer from snk's Double Dragon why don't we?

Key:

Name = "Correct" pronunciation

Kano = Can Oh
Johnny Cage = Jean Luc Kah Gay (he's french)
Scorpion = Scorpio (the "n" is silent)
Sub-Zero = Suhb Zeed-oh (or Zeelo for japanese)
Reptile = Lep tur (see above)
Shang Tsung = Shin Tong
Shao Kahn = Show Kun
Kung Lao = Ken Lew
Lui Kang = Lo Kim
Cyrax = Cry az
Sektor = Sechs orr
Sonya = Sun Yoo
Nightwolf = Nite wuff
Motaro = Meat roo
Goro = Grumpy

Use these and you ought to drive many people crazy. ;)