Rayden or Raiden?

RavenGT said:
Angel said:
Someone mentioned the pronoucation of Raiden right?

Its Rai (simulair to Kai's name pronoucation except with a R) and then Den.

Not Rai as in 'Ray gun'... I had someone confirm this ages ago with me... she does Japanese at university. :wink:

Exactly what I was trying to prove. It's supposively pronounced "Rai" (as in Kai), but Americans pronounce it "Ray". It seems the mispronounciation had been plagued across the fanbase, and the fans are obviously following it. I don't blame you.

You know, there are names and such that are spelled the same that sound different. Such as Kosta (coast-a) and Kosta (cost-a), a (ay) and a (ah), and the (duh) and the (thee). So it could just be a different way of pronouncing a word.

Kosta has a big, big point there.

Seriously it would be ridiculous *SP*

to have Raiden (like Rie-den IMO)

it sounds akward to me and way off. In the Mortal Kombat theme song thing off of MK2/etc. They clearly state: Rayden (Rai-den is how it should be spelled, pronounced Ray-den IMHo)

I think Midway wanted it to be Ray-den but spell it correctly. (Rai-den)

Because even if it was just mythology religion people of that "god", may get upset if they heard his name in the game and watched as he was killed by a fatality/finishing move. *they may even try to sue Midway* *This has happened to another CO.'s game before.*

Japanese pronoucation is very hard to grips. just because it reads 'Rai' doesn't mean it sounds like Ray.

This sort of thing is confusing. Amercian translator pronouce things have they've been spelt not how they actually sound in Japanese (hence why many animes have mispronouced names).

So its a common mistake in the Japanese to English translation.

Another example of pronouitation. Takao 'Ta(as in 'task')-Ca(as in Car)-Oh(as in 'okay').

Angel said:
Japanese pronoucation is very hard to grips. just because it reads 'Rai' doesn't mean it sounds like Ray.

This sort of thing is confusing. Amercian translator pronouce things have they've been spelt not how they actually sound in Japanese (hence why many animes have mispronouced names).

So its a common mistake in the Japanese to English translation.

Another example of pronouitation. Takao 'Ta(as in 'task')-Ca(as in Car)-Oh(as in 'okay').

And you obviously aren't getting the point. NINTENDO is a JAPANESE CO. IN THE GAME WHEN YOU WIN IT SAYS RAI-DEN NOT RIE-DEN I HAVE NOTICED THIS FOR A LONG TIME. JAPANESE TRANSLATORS MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE

(1E IS DRAGON QUEST METALY IS KNOW METAL SLIME BECUASE THEY FIXED THE NAME SINCE IT WAS WRONG IN THE USA!)

SINCE NINTENDO IS A JAP. CO. IT SHULD HAVE HAD THE NAME SOUNDED RIGHT NOT RAI-DEN. IT SHOULD HAVE SOUNDED LIKE IT IS SAYING RIE-DEN!

AMERICANS, GERMANS, ASIANS, AFRICANS/ETC. SAY DIFFERENT THINGS WHEN SAING A COMMON WORD BECAUSE THAT IS HOW IT IS.

IN JAPAN POKEMON IS USUALLY SAID JUST "POKET MONSTERS NOT POKEMON" *Yes I was there once I had to have a guide to understand some things* *I suck at understanding foreign languages :G*

SEE WE ALL SAY THINGS DIFFERENT. PLUS WOULDN'T COPYING A GOD'S NAME GET NINTENDO SUED ALONG WITH MIDWAY BECAUSE OF COPY-RIGHT/ETC.?

ONE COMPANY WAS SUED FOR USING A REAL JAP. GODS NAME IN A VIDEO-GAME BECAUSE THEY DID NOT WISH THEIR GOD/PART-OF-RELIGION TO BE MESSED WITH/PUT INTO A SILLY GAME OR "ITEM OF EVIL"

IT ISN'T JUST AMERICAN'S WHO SCREW UP. YOU PEOPLE DON'T EVEN SEE ANY FACTS UNLESS I CAP THEM ALL FOR YOU TO ACTUALLY NOTICE. (I TAKE PITY ON THAT)

NOW THAT I FINISHED THAT-*CAPS off*

peace-Pheonix

The MK games were made in Chicago and were not made by Nintendo. They were released for Nintendo systems but Nintendo wasn't going to go through and retranslate text. It wasn't their game to do that to.

Raijin, (pronounced rye zjin) has been used in numerous anime to refer to the god of thunder (and Fuujin to refer to the god of wind).

The MK team just wanted his name pronounced Ray-Den and wanted to spell it Raiden.

DreemerNJ said:
The MK games were made in Chicago and were not made by Nintendo. They were released for Nintendo systems but Nintendo wasn't going to go through and retranslate text. It wasn't their game to do that to.

Raijin, (pronounced rye zjin) has been used in numerous anime to refer to the god of thunder (and Fuujin to refer to the god of wind).

The MK team just wanted his name pronounced Ray-Den and wanted to spell it Raiden.

Yes but Nintendo may have. Who censored MK1 then? It sure wasn't Midway it was the CO. Nintendo. Thus I proved myself paritally right. *Yes Nintendo did censor blood in the SN game of it. (or just the first released version/etc.)

Again it could be possible.

Fuujin I hear all the time. What I don't get is if that one person had a friend who translated/etc. Jap. Stuff why didn't he say it was Raijinn?

*Because they lied* *whoever posted that*

I have ot admit your points are clearer but I don't think it was just the whole they jsut did thing I mean it was/had to be for a reason of SOME sort.

this may have been posted before in this forum, I don't know, but here's the story. they couldn't name him raiden at first because there was another game called raiden, so he had to name him rayden. later he was able to rename him raiden but I don't know why. there we go, we have been set straight by pyro scorpian, go and walk in peace my trmk bretheren. :)

pyro scorpian said:
this may have been posted before in this forum, I don't know, but here's the story. they couldn't name him raiden at first because there was another game called raiden, so he had to name him rayden. later he was able to rename him raiden but I don't know why. there we go, we have been set straight by pyro scorpian, go and walk in peace my trmk bretheren. :)

...and this was already said, plus more, right on the first page of this thread...

and pheonix for fuck sake, type properly.

I know this is slightly off topic, but on the Raiden game that was already out on the Snes/Genis, I have found a very good port, and it is a marvelous game. Here it is.

On topic, I still feel the same that it is just a different pronunciation of a word spelled the same. [/url]

pheonix said:
DreemerNJ said:

Yes but Nintendo may have. Who censored MK1 then? It sure wasn't Midway it was the CO. Nintendo. Thus I proved myself paritally right. *Yes Nintendo did censor blood in the SN game of it. (or just the first released version/etc.)

Again it could be possible.

Fuujin I hear all the time. What I don't get is if that one person had a friend who translated/etc. Jap. Stuff why didn't he say it was Raijinn?

*Because they lied* *whoever posted that*

I have ot admit your points are clearer but I don't think it was just the whole they jsut did thing I mean it was/had to be for a reason of SOME sort.

I don't think Nintendo editted blood out. They probably told the makers take out the blood or no license to publish it on SNES.

And given what the MK team does with their games, the simplest and most logical answer is they wanted it to look like "Raiden" and sound like "Ray Den". I don't think there is any conspiracy of lies or deeper meaning to it. This was a bunch of guys making a game because they thought it was cool and that it could make money. I bet they did Zero research, consulted No cultural experts, they just made a game with the knowledge they had of Kung Fu movies and pop culture. That's why MK was so hokey and had almost no storyline.

I think if MK started out like MK2, with a cool storyline, developed characters, and more references to actual other cultures, there would have been a difference.

okay okay okay thats it score settled its pronounced Raiden as in Kai the dumb white lotus guy that looks like Sugar Ray Leonard can we get locky-locky now?

kold_as_ice92 said:
okay okay okay thats it score settled its pronounced Raiden as in Kai the dumb white lotus guy that looks like Sugar Ray Leonard can we get locky-locky now?

No. How is that settled? Its pronounced Rayden, as it has been Ingame, and in the movies! How can you settle something when there is nothing conclusive on either side?!?

sorry about that, Kosta, but that guy knew a JAPANESE d00d who corrected our thoughts. thanks for havin my back, g. i was just overwhelmed with these non-americans saying they know best. IM NOT RACIST!

Yeah, but dude, Midway has leagal license over how they say, and spell they're names, and as far as I know, they pronounce Raiden Rayden, so I don't see how it can be pronounced Rieden.

I agree. Just do what we did back in Grade-School to settle things. You say it your way I'll say it my way. It is settled its both!

Seriously though what is with all the remarks about Ameicans always making mistakes? I'm sure people in Austrailia/etc. Have the same name pronounciation in-game also.

Lets just drop this before it becomes flame-fest 2006. It is both.

SETTL'D

:lol:

YES! MWAHAHA!!! SUCK ON THAT, CREEPS! EXACTLY like the double-dip situation on Seinfeld. "you can dip your way*crunch*(takes 2nd dip) and i can dip my way."

We know that, what were discussing is how it is pronounced.

IE Rayden wins is how it sounds.

Not Rie-den is how it would sound if his name is pronounced Raiden. Thus that is what it is about.

Its mispronouced because someone got it wrong... Its like the other 1,000+ Japanese words no one ever gets right. They pronounce 'Rai' as 'Ray'. They properly thought thats how it was orginally so thought it was okay to swap a i for a y. Its a mistake I dounbt they'll ever correct.

Can we stop trying to argue over this now? The proper pronoucation IS Rai as in 'Kai' and not rai as in 'Ray'. They got it wrong... And the trouble with getting it wrong is you've got to stick with it. In the end it doesn't matter.

Really.

I can't believe someone bumped this topic just to say 'It is spelled Raiden'. :roll:

That was ScorpZero for you, he has been bumping older topics...

Anyway Midway can call it what they want and they stuck with Rayden as pronounciation. Thus it is Raiden... LMAO.