The art section?

Angel

Just wondering something... You know, we've got a lot of stickies in that section.

I was wondering if its worth splitting that section up... Just to make it easier to browse that section (its getting confusing in there) and cut down the number of stickys at the top of it. Don't have a clue as to how they'd be split though. Don't really care if it does get split either. Its getting a mess in there thats all. And really... I'm just pointing it out.

Of course 90% of you properly don't think its a mess anyway so who gives a dam really.

it makes sense. One section could be art contest section, one regular art section, and one tutorial art section. Good post Angel :)

I don't think un-stickying them would be a good idea, mainly because those threads are the essential user guides which a lot of users don't know how to do. I think having to scroll down for a couple seconds is much better than having 10000 more topics on the same questions, it just saves the hassle.

And splitting them wouldn't do anything, splitting is when you take a part of a topic and move it into it's own topic, or into another topic.

It's not a mess... It's "beautiful, no matter what they say.. Words.. Can't..Take..", ahh. Nevermind. :p

No Angel was talking of making seperate forum sections for the various art things. I'd be for that if the majority of the art people could see that to be valuable. It'll help spread out and not have so much of a crowded sticky area as well.

Patrick McCarron said:
No Angel was talking of making seperate forum sections for the various art things. I'd be for that if the majority of the art people could see that to be valuable. It'll help spread out and not have so much of a crowded sticky area as well.

I'm really not much of an artsubmitting person, but I am in there every day anyway....so, for what it's worth, I'm in favor of it.

I don't think many people read this bit of TRMK enough to really get a discussion like this going. Thats the trouble... :?

I'm kinda along the lines of Khaos here. I don't really feel the nessesity of making a different forum for it. But that doesn't mean I'd get all offensive if it does happen. I'd think it'd be cool to split it up and reduce clutter.

I guess I'm trying to say that I don't think its a nessesity, but I'd like to see it happen anyway. It'd be cool :)

... Wow, I think I contradicted my start with my ending :lol:

Kosta said:
I'm kinda along the lines of Khaos here. I don't really feel the nessesity of making a different forum for it. But that doesn't mean I'd get all offensive if it does happen. I'd think it'd be cool to split it up and reduce clutter.

I guess I'm trying to say that I don't think its a nessesity, but I'd like to see it happen anyway. It'd be cool :)

... Wow, I think I contradicted my start with my ending :lol:

After reading that, I can imagine you looking just like Ethan does in your avvy 8)

Angel said:
I don't think many people read this bit of TRMK enough to really get a discussion like this going. Thats the trouble... :?

I hate to say it, but you're probably right. That doesn't stop us from trying, though. I'd like to see it uncluttered, and perhaps have the seperate forums, same as you :)

If this were to happen, I would just want a section that was set aside for the lower grade of art that is whipped together in 5 minutes that floods the art section. Whether it be fakes, drawings, sigs, whatever. Seperate the crap from the good stuff is all I ask :).

Only way I could see to do this though, is to make one of the areas where only certain people can create posts. Others could reply, and if the staff, or other members felt it right, they could approve someone else to reach the status of posting in the "good art" section.

Though it may alienate some posters and create bitterness, it might also create a desire by some folks to really hunker down and try to produce decent stuff instead of saying, "check out my 5 minute fake! rate please." and the only comment worth making is, "it looks like a 5 minute fake..."

Just my rant on the whole situation.

I'm for a little clean up in the art section, but I don't see it as a necessity.

Dude, Kill, well said. Granted I've only posted one thing in the art forum, but I really took my time on it and in the end was more proud of myself because of that. When I see people who toss something together in a couple minutes and then have to make excuses for it being a piece of shit because they didn't spend any time on it, it just makes me think, "well why the fuck did you post it then?"

Anyway, on the subject of splitting up the forum, I don't really know. I remember it was divided up on the old TRMK forum, and that seemed to work pretty well, but we also had a ton more people contributing stuff back then. Frankly, I could go either way.

Also someone has to sit there and go through the whole forum. Moving stuff around. Everything from the first topic to the lastest. But then again, that section isn't TOO well built up at the mo... Its not like there are 50 pages of topic to go through. Better to sort it out now then when there is 50 pages or more worth of stuff.

Sorry for the double post... But we now have so many stickies I have to scroll down to see the non-sticky stuff. We have like 13 or something stickies in the art section. Really there should only be about 6 at the most. @_@

Now I deffinately think we need to expand that section. o_O'

What we have in the art section, if it helps:

-Hand art
-Fakes
-Sprites
-Sprite cartoons
-Tutorials
-Contests
-Signature/avatar dicussions.
-Non-MK artworks.
-Art program experiements.

And a poetry topic somewhere right at the beginning.

In short... All sorts of things. I don't know how you'd seperate it though... Good luck to anyone trying to sort it all out. :eek:

edit:

13 wasn't a bad guess... There are 14 stickied topics.

Ok, here's an idea.

We could have a few sections.
One for tutorials and Kontests, mostly text based things. They'd have a lot of room, so we might be able to throw a smaller section in there

We could have another section for graphic art. Sprites, Fakes, Sigs. Then, we
could have either non-MK art here, or in the General Section, which is overcrouded as it is, so I'd say keep non-mk art here.

Then there's Handart and Art-Programs left. We could throw those two together, and since they don't get that many posts (except, of course, Angel),
and they might need their own section if they got more posts, but as I see it,
I think they'd go much better in the Tuts and Kontests sections, as those won't be used much.

Maybe that could help as an idea for what you Admin's would do if you actually do split the Art Section :D

Some people are such art snobs really...let people submit what they want, I don't find it messy at all. The stickies are useful even if they're not all necessary. I'm against the split.

How does someone wanting to split it up make them a snob? I'm curious to know. :wink:

But consider this, if we split it up, even if its into 2, we wouldn't have to sticky things so much to make them get noticed. Thats my line of though. If we had say a contest/tutorial section, there would be no need to sticky such topics like this one http://www.trmk.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16096 threads and such like. And would be easier to find old contests we have done over the months... Though what for I don't know.

Plus it would just be easier for random noobs to find out how to do things don't you think?