3D or Plain sprites

Rain Demon

If you could decide between a MK game with the sprites like in MK1,2,3 and a couple more or 3D like in MKD. You can also say what improvements you could make if you made it 3D.

I would pick 3D but i will make the combo system a lot better so it's pretty easy to kick other people's asses.

I like the 2-D sprite's. I wish the would bring back, or start making MK games with the classic 2-D fighting feel. With improved graphic's and of course the combo system. Classic fighting is were its at man.

B_SiK said:
I like the 2-D sprite's. I wish the would bring back, or start making MK games with the classic 2-D fighting feel. With improved graphic's and of course the combo system. Classic fighting is were its at man.
same her dude I kinda liked the 2-D better than the 3-D mortal kombat games

3D is better, although I do enjoy the gameplay more from 2d sprite action. I prefer 3d graphics

I would take either happily if they just made another one with really good gameplay. I like both 2D and 3D fighters a lot. UMK3 being my fav 2D and VF4e being my fav 3D.

I think I would lean a bit more towards 2D just because they have the UMK3 engine that has great potential (and that they spent so many years developing since MK1 through UMK3 were all incarnations of a similar engine) but I could definately handle a 3D one if it was just plain good. I know chances are slim of that because the big money is in the extras, the graphics, the story modes and such, and those take enough time that simply play testing the engine for completeness and balance is not realistic any more.

:( Good gameplay is no longer a selling point...

i prefer 2D sprites. gotta love 'em. They're the easiest to work with on fakes. 3D MK, ya got the different fighting styles and all this other mumbo-jumbo

2d definetly gets my vote. Mainly because of all the good memories ive had with 2d MK. The 3d MK doesnt feel right i dont think. Also with 2d MK the fatalities actually look good.

yeh same here they really should bring back 2d and probably turn the new characters into 2D form and also have 2D Konquest or something

I preferred 2D of course... But 3D is the only way MK will ever get anywhere these days. Like it or lump it, 3D games pretty much rule outside of handhelds. :(

People these days don't know what is actually good all they care about are graphics. Not the great immense gameplay.

2D IMHO was way better.

I liked how cool the fatalities were. Jax turning into a giant and stomping someone and Sindel's Hair Spin. Not to say the 3D ones aren't great just a little normal than back then.

The combo system was easier and way better.

Fighting styles are great don't get me wrong but the way it feels dull sometimes sucks. The bosses are way to easy and don't even take a few minues to die and try again. *Remembers back in the old days with Shao Khan/Kahn*

3D is ok. But due to the gameplay features/etc. 2D is better.

But that will never happen since "No one wants 2D games anymore" which is un-true. I wish 2D games were still out back in the SNES days and as such.

My vote goes for the 2d as well. Mortal Kombat Trilogy has perhaps the best fighting gameplay period.

Graphics are over-rated anyway.

i dunno really. my favorite 3d fighter is without a doubt MKD but my favourite 2d fighter would be either Capcom vs. SNK 2 or Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, altho MK Trilogy is a close third. there's only so much that can be done with 2D, like there's no chance that a dynamic camera would be there, unless there are thousands of sprites per character, covering all the moves from at least by my reckoning 64 different angles. and no preset animations like in complicated throws or fatalities, every character has to have it's own sprite sheet instead of using the same animation for everyone. 3D is the only way forwards.