Your Thoughts

Jade

At my job there are a lot of Indian people. One of my good buddies there is Indian. Anyways, we have some temps and contracts that are now with us to help during Q4, our busiest time. Two of the new girls (amongst about 150 new people) are Indian girls with attitude. One isn't so bad but the other is a "I think I know everything" type of girl who actually knows nothing. The other one is just dumb and gets snotty when you talk to her like a human being. Anyways, this girl's name rhymes with Camelshit (I'm not trying to be funny or anything, it really does) and she is one of the rudest people I have ever met.

I have my own little "group" at work. It's the same group of females that sit together for breaks and lunch everyday. Camelshit likes one of our friends, who happens to be Indian as well. Camelshit one day decides to come and sit with us without asking just because our Indian friend is there. Well, I certainly don't have a problem with people sitting at our table but a problem I DO have is when they start talking Indian and act as if everyone else isn't even there.

Just to note, I am NOT trying to point out Indians alone, there are a lot of people that do this, but my experience is with this Indian girl.

Anyhoo, she sits down with us and pretty much interrupts me and starts talking Indian to our friend. I was SECONDS away from saying "excuse me but I didn't quite understand a word you just said. Mind saying it in english for us white people?" (the only other people at the table at that time were myself, the Indian friend and a white friend) It really pissed me off.

What the point of this is, in my opinion, I don't care if you talk another language when you are sitting at the table with all people who speak that language but I think that if you are gonna sit at a table where a bunch of other people are sitting, it is quite rude to start talking in your language. My friend and I felt VERY awkward. We felt as if we weren't even there. It was so rude and the fact that I hate Camelshit makes me even madder about it. If she does it again tomorrow (this isn't the first time) then I am gonna say something, not to be rude, but to get a point across. I just don't want her to do the stupid shit of pulling out the racism card because I tell her to speak english at our table. I am not the least bit racist (damn, my boyfriend isn't even white) so do you think I should say something? I wouldn't say it rudely, as much as I would love to. What do you guys think about situations like this? Has it ever happened to you?

Wow, what a bitch.

The obvious solution is to kick her face in. Since you not only play MK, but share the name of one of the kombatants, you should have no trouble at all :lol:

Seriously though, people like that bug the hell out of me. Back when I was in the "normal" school, people would do that to me, but with Spanish. Of course, I knew what they were saying (gift of common sense).

So yeah..best thing for you to do is probably just ignore her. can't talk to people like that

HI this is my first post, and I'd like to say "Be Careful". This chick is clearly being rude. However a person could make a racial issue of it. It's a shame, but spiteful people will take the cheap shot.

Thanks guys. I was actually thinking about it and I guess the best thing is to leave it alone so trouble doesn't start. The other thing that I find stupid is the Indian person that has been our friend for a while seems to not even care about the situation. I told her that her friend was pretty rude and she kinda sidestepped the situation. She likes to fit in and pretend that she thinks the same way myself and my friends do about rude people but then she turns around and is best buddies with them. Ah well, we never trust her anyways lol.

Eh, I tackled this type of situation a few different different ways. They're all pretty effective.

1) Tell them it's rude and that you do feel isolated. I usually said this when the conversation actually concerned me though (ex: a team project).

2) Go to your manager if it's a frequent thing. Many work places have rules where you must only speak English unless you're helping a customer so other employees don't feel like you're talking bad about them or excluding them (like in your situation).

3) Learn some perverse phrases in their native language and just keep repeating them. I learnt that this techniquie works the best. Many of them get really irritated and just leave or shut up.

4) Be racist. The best thing to do when they pull the racism card is give them racism back.

The fourth option should be your last option since you can say you "tried" being nice and proper about it but had to retort to their level just to get your point across. It might also get you fired, so I really don't recommend you doing it at work.

For work, it's the best to go to a manager first and see if they can get in trouble for being rude and disrespectful to you. You can say you have reason to believe they might be talking bad about you and then make up an excuse, and if the manager doesn't do anything you can claim you're working in an unfair and hostile environment and bring forth a lawsuit (which is why many work places where I live have rules where English is the only language spoken unless you're helping out a customer).

Racism is a big thing here in the UK. You get a lawsuit if you look at a person wrong it seems sometimes. Hell I've been accused of it and I'm the least racist person ever.

BTW the best phrases to learn of someone's language, I've been told:

-Did you know dogs sniff the butts of other dogs to identify each other?
-Did you know my late great grandfather used to kill Indians(or whoever) for fun back in the days of the wild west?
-I know insults in five different languages, want to hear a few?
-I can say stuff in another language... Ain't I so smart.

I friend told me these... He speaks klingon... Don't ask... Really don't ask! He is a total trekkie nerd. Personnelly I wouldn't use these... :roll:

My advice... Don't!

This stuff happens a lot where I work, except that the offending language is Spanish. It's very rude to do that and disrespectful towards the other people in the group that do not understand the language.

And I have seen this with people in other languages as well.

You tend to get paranoid and/or suspicious that they're talking about you. But I tend to be paranoid with most things :D

But seriously, I would bring up the issue with your friend and just say how you and the others are very uncomfortable whenever she gets engaged in conversation in her native language for a good length of time. If she's a good sort of friend, hopefully, she'll either excuse herself from the group and talk with "that one" somewhere else and come back to the group later or reply to "that one" in English and see if it'll get the clue :)

Funny thing happened today. I was sitting with said friend and another Indian friend of ours (Camelshit wasn't sitting with us today) and they started speaking Indian and another friend (she's white and my white friend from the other day was sitting with us too) got pissed off and actually said what I told you guys I wanted to say. She wasn't rude about it she just said "excuse me Suk (our Indian friends' name is Sukvinder, we call her Suki or Suk for short) but i didn't quite understand you just now. Can you speak english for us?" haha it was pretty funny.

You have to becareful what you say back. You might find it offensive that they are talking in their language but they might find it offensive and rude you asked them. I'm also curious of the result of what you said because of it. Was it good or bad. Please tell. :D

I'm used to other languages... I get on the district line tube service in London everyday. Between Barking station and westham Station everyone who gets on is Arab or African it seems. Since its normal for you to be cramped like sardines with your head stuffed in some random guys armpit. You often are thrown right into the middle of a Arab to Arab conversation.

There are a lot of people who don't speak english in the UK.

Very strange Esp. in England where the english language was born.

^ Yeah that's why I don't say anything. I don't want them to be offended and take it racially.

@Malitor: I think my friend was just trying to get across that she feels a little awkward at the fact that they are speaking in a different language. It's rude. If the entire table was Indian people then it's a different story, they aren't offending anyone, but when other people who don't speak the language are at the table, respect them.