READ FIRST!!! Official Shaolin Monks FAQ Thread

Jeff Greeson

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a compilation of the most frequently asked questions on the message board for Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. Please add questions with answers replies to this thread and this main post will be updated with new Q and A's.

Last Updated: 10/10/2005

Q: How do I get the red yin-yang in the second Goro's Lair room above the left entrance?
A: You will need to revisit this area after you receive the wall climb ability. Once you've received the wall climb, come back to Shang Tsung's island and head back to Goro's Lair. Once you reach the room, wall climb right at the right side of the exit into the first room of the game.

For all other yin-yang koins, see http://www.trmk.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15109

Q: I'm stuck in a room with spikes in the floor at one end in the Evil Monastery. The enemies keep respawning but what am I supposed to do?
A: When you throw an enemy onto the spikes on the back edge of the room, musical tones are played. This is a cue for you to jump on the impaled enemy's body to reach the next ledge. Continue on your quest.

Q: How do I get the "Fist of Ruin" and how do I use it?
A: The "Fist of Ruin" is obtained after the first major boss battle at the top of the Kombat Temple against Kitana, Mileena, and Jade. Once you've defeated the trio you can pickup the "Tournament Victory Medalion" which will give you the "Fist of Ruin" ability. Now you can destroy statues simply with the "Power Attack" button.

Q: There's this huge snake in the room slithering around each column. What do I do?
A: This room requires you to knock out the four columns in succession with a Power Attack. Pay attention to the cutscenes for the location of the columns.

Q: What in the world do I do in the Soul Chamber room (big massive green thing) where I watched the cutscene with Shang Tsung kicking both of our asses?
A: You need to use your "Power Attack" against the big green Soul Chamber. Once you've destroyed it, return to the central room with the rolling spike hazards and you will either open a new area or will need to visit the other color door.

Q: Raiden tells me to impale Baraka, but I what am I supposed to do?
A: Once you've weakened Baraka enough, you should pick up the dislodged swords. Continue to thrash Baraka until you reach a "Test Your Might" blade stalemate. Once you succeed in the button mashing, "throw" your weapon at Baraka using the Black or R2 button. Repeat with the second sword.

Q: What do I do after I defeat Baraka?
A: Head back to the Portal stage and go to the lower area and jump into the portal at the end of the platform. Once in the "Wasteland" you can go across the platform and use your newly gained "Wall Jump" ability on the right side of the level.

Q: What are the Smoke Missions and how can I complete them?
A: http://www.trmk.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866

Q: I completed the Smoke Missions, but where's my Mortal Kombat II?
A: USA/NTSC PS2/Xbox version owners go to the Kontent menu in the game's main menu screen. EU/PAL PS2 owners prepare to be disappointed. It was disclosed during the Fight Night chat that Sony's EU Quality Assurance department said that the Start button bug in the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 version of Mortal Kombat II (the version included in Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks) was not an acceptable flaw; therefore, in order to pass Sony EU's QA process, Mortal Kombat II was removed from the EU/PAL PS2 version at the last minute. However, the EU/PAL Xbox version does contain Mortal Kombat II.

Q: I'm at the Warrior Shrine, but I can't get in. How do I open the gates?
A: You can open the gates only if you have the Swing Ability. Head over to the left area of the level before the bridge and jump up to the platform. Then make the series of swing jumps across the opening to the statue. Interact with the statue and it will open the doors.

Q: How in the world am I supposed to defeat the final boss battle?
A: http://www.trmk.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=68357&highlight=#68357[/b]

I don't know if we're suposed to or not reply to this,but; Thanks for making theis thread! I got stuck on half the things you explaned on this and i passed them the first time i did it after i read this. Thanks! :D :D

I've done all the Smoke Missions, but I still can't get classic MK2 from the Content Menu on the PS2.

Do I need to complete the game first?

Jeff Greeson said:
Q: I completed the Smoke Missions, but where's my Mortal Kombat II?
A: USA/NTSC PS2/Xbox version owners go to the Kontent menu in the game's main menu screen. EU/PAL PS2 owners prepare to be disappointed. It was disclosed during the Fight Night chat that Sony's EU Quality Assurance department said that the Start button bug in the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 version of Mortal Kombat II (the version included in Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks) was not an acceptable flaw; therefore, in order to pass Sony EU's QA process, Mortal Kombat II was removed from the EU/PAL PS2 version at the last minute. However, the EU/PAL Xbox version does contain Mortal Kombat II.

I hate to :roll: but seriously, you just had to look at the thing man!

Go back to the Wu-Shi Academy portal from Outworld. Along the path back, across from the catapult, there should be a pathway with a statue blocking it. Use fist of ruin on this statue, and go to the end of the pathway and into the portal.

You will have to "fight" with this portal once you arrive at Tsung's Island, since it will try to suck you back in... but it's not too bad.

ok, if mk2 is still in the pal version, how do you get it? tho, if it was still taken out, there is still the flaw of smoke saying you have unlocked it, if you havent. very annoying.

still_confused198 said:
ok, if mk2 is still in the pal version, how do you get it?

Please read the FAQ above. It's not in the PAL version. If it was, it would appear on the menu for the game along with the other options, even prior to unlocking it.

Jeff Greeson said:
Here is a compilation of the most frequently asked questions on the message board for Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. Please add questions with answers replies to this thread and this main post will be updated with new Q and A's.

Q: There's this huge snake in the room slithering around each column. What do I do?
A: This room requires you to knock out the four columns in succession with a Power Attack. Pay attention to the cutscenes for the location of the columns.

How do I destroy the second column?

Fist Of Ruin? nevermind i got it :roll:

2nd smoke mission

I have completed the game, along with the first smoke mission. I know you must go to the area in Wu Shu, the begining, but I still cant get back there. I have gone through both portals and tried to backtrack but no luck. What portal do I go through and how do I get there, I want to play the MK2 game, Please help.

go to the Wu Shi Academy portal and then go to the area where you helped johnny cage open the gates and jump up the roof that you jumped down from and go to the opened gate and then go back to the bridge that broke down when you first got up to there but it won't be broken so then instead of going back go forward to the place where the spikes are and then yuo're there. Just go close to the door next to the gate and it says completed. Good luck

thank you for your help. I was able to complete the smoke mission along with the others to open MKII Thanks again for the help from you and this site.

Hi,

How can I get passed the onslaught of Shang Tsung, Kintaro & Shao Kahn when I enter Kahn's arena?

Me & the missus can get passed Tsung & Kintaro but don't have enough health to defeat Kahn.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks

Get better. That's all there is. If you search the forums you can find several threads on how to beat Kahn and his hammer of DEATH. Just set the thread settings at the bottom of the page to show threads from the "beginning".

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but you just have to learn all their moves and learn to beat them with more health available for Kahn. Of course there was a point when I had beaten him so much that I never took a hit and that didn't matter a bit. Learn the patterns and they won't give you any trouble.