What was your first encounter with mk?

Mine was then I bought this controller. It had like 100 games in it. And one of them was MK (well, a crappy version of it). This was ages ago. When I was 4-5? 16 now. That was the first MK game I owned. Well, the first official one is MKD.

Like 8 or 9 years ago my first encounter with MK was MK Gold, I picked it out of a bargon bin in blockbuster I played it and liked it a bit but I didn't become a fan of MK games till years later when my friend got MK Deception and I liked it alot then decided to buy it and become a fan of the MK series.

mannnnn i think i was about 5 when i first got my sega (good stuff good stuff) and my dad got mortal kombat 3 for him but 1 day he let me play and i was hooked ever since and mow i played all mortal kombat games and seen the movies. btw, r they making a new mortal kombat movie i hear its jus a rumor...

I first encountered MK when i was 6, and it was MK1 on the gameboy :)
And i thought it was the most awesome thing i've EVER seen, lol!!!

Haha...it's funny how out of place your "first experience" sounds amongst all these anecdotes of we long-time fans talking about when we were toddlers. But boy man, this thread is even older than all the others you've been bumping today! 2005? Seriously? Check the date first boyo.

Watch out, the TRMK Police is here!:The_Villagers:

You know, instead of starting arguements and raising your post count, why cant you PRIVATE MESSAGE somebody about this shit?

Besides, this ia already an awesoe thread, no matter it its 5 years old or 5 minutes old.

ON topic:
And for the record, my first encounter with MK was back in 1992 when I first saw the side of a cabinet with a dragon on the side with some guy in shorts jumping on it. I turned in front of the cab, saw 2 guys playig a fighting game, and everytime they got hit, blodd would fly everywhere. Then the guy in blue who throws ice at people, ripped somebodies head off, and I was hooked, and still am today.

And this was at the arcade in a Chuck E. Cheeses. Go figure. ;)

Last edited:
1992 snes. the best move i ever made

Bonus points if, like me, you used a Game Genie to turn the "sweat" red to make it look like blood!

Also I thought the fatalities Cage and Raiden had were better than the originals. I was surprised that Cage's actual fatality was a lame uppercut, the impaling Shadow Kick was way better.

wow...i feel sooo old. I was 17 when MK came into the arcades. I played a bit, thought it was cool, but at that time, all my money went into the NBA Jam machine. Then I got into the hype when it was released for Genesis and right after that, MK2 arcade hit and most of my arcade funds went to that.

That was fun back then, the arcade scene. Most of you kids really missed out. Hitting the arcades where there was always a crowd playing. Playing online is fun, but nothing ever will come close to the arcade scene in the early 90's when all the fighting games ruled - always crowds around mortal kombat, street fighter, killer instinct, primal rage, tekken, virtua fighter, all the snk fighters and even...at least when it first came out... war gods.

Yea I've heard of arcades. But I don't like playing online either. I'm not social so I don't think I missed out on anything. If anything I'd probably have avoided arcades because large crowds make me extremely uncomfortable. I would always freak out at summer camp because like 20 people would crowd around to watch me do a fatality. Got so nervous I ended up failing and everyone booed....yea...didn't miss a thing.

I'm not a social person by any stretch of the imagination, but there really was something special about that particular era in the arcades. There's nothing like being a 10 year old kid, knocking someone who's at least a good 5 years older than you into the Dead Pool and having them ask "how'd you do that?". Of course, there was also the inflated head I had from thinking that knowing all the moves and fatalities somehow made me a good player-- only to get whooped endlessly by someone who really was a good player. But in the end, I just kept plunking in quarters until I lucked out as Sub-Zero and ripped out the bastard's spine, at which point he'd had enough of me.

Yeah, anyway, those were good times.

I'm not a social person by any stretch of the imagination, but there really was something special about that particular era in the arcades. There's nothing like being a 10 year old kid, knocking someone who's at least a good 5 years older than you into the Dead Pool and having them ask "how'd you do that?". Of course, there was also the inflated head I had from thinking that knowing all the moves and fatalities somehow made me a good player-- only to get whooped endlessly by someone who really was a good player. But in the end, I just kept plunking in quarters until I lucked out as Sub-Zero and ripped out the bastard's spine, at which point he'd had enough of me.

Yeah, anyway, those were good times.

LOL, Agreed.

Good times, indeed. :mrgreen:

my first encounter with mk was wen my mom gave me her old snes i was like 6 and it came with lots of games including mk 1 so i played and the first time i played i was hooked i played it for hours and i made it to goro he scared the crap out of me the way he just jumps in i bet him on my 5th try with scropion :hail: and i played all the mk games except for umk3:-D

im damn near 28 and cant remember sh*t. all i remember was there was a diff game other than street fighter and it looked RAW. the characters looked like real people & you could pull out the opponents heart or punch them off a bridge. ive had all the main MK games like 1-3, trilogy dEception, DA.. but now i only have MK2 on the ps3 and midway on psp. and UMK on the DS.