Official Baseball Thread

There's a baseball thread here somewhere but oh well. I'm a Blue Jays fan. They're gonna be good this year. For once.

Been waiting forever for baseball to start. Mariners are my favorite team although I doubt they will do very much this year but stranger things have happened. Unless the Mariners pull it out Im goin for the White Sox to repeat.

Already ordered my MLB Package and im about to start doing nothing but sleep, work, eat, and watch baseball. Maybe give up work. That's just how great this game is. Hell. I was up till 2am last night watching the rain delayed White Sox/Indians game. C.C. Sabathia went out with a minor strain it looks like and Jim Thome (great addition to the team) blasted a 2 run shot 431 feet! Too bad it was on ESPN. I really wanted to hear "The Hawk" give the old "WAAAAY BACK! He looks up! You can put it on the board! YES!" for Thome's first blast.

I watch NFL, NBA, and so forth and I always go "Man. This sucks. When is baseball starting?" Finally that day has come!

I'm gonna go with:

AL East - NY Yankees
AL Central - Chicago White Sox
AL West - Oakland A's
AL Wild Card - Boston Red Sox or the Cleveland Indians.

NL East - New York Mets!!! (Get the Braves the hell out of there).
NL Central - St. Louis Cardinals
NL West - If Bonds is healthy, Giants - If he doesn't play, Dodgers.
NL Wild Card - Braves

I think the Cardinals will make it to the World Series this year. Unless the Mets bats are just killing the ball and riding a hot wave.

In the AL I could go a number of ways. I can easily see Chicago repeating soley due to their pitching depth but I want it to be either Oakland or the Yankees. I strongly believe Oakland is going to be awesome this season as long as they can keep their line up healthy - mainly Bradley and my favorite, The Big Hurt Frank Thomas.

Hideki Matsui for AL MVP!
Albert Pujols for NL MVP (unless Barry Bonds does something that the writers/voters can't ignore - but I doubt it).

Yankee Pitcher dead at 34

Yankee Pitcher Cory Lidle died in a plane crash Yesterday. He was only 34. It was, supposedly, a routine flight in a 2-man aircraft, to California, where he was to spend time with his family. He crashed into an apartment building in NYC. Him and his Co-Pilot, who's name I could not find, both died. Nobody in the building died. Lidle was a pitcher with many teams over the League, with many fans and teamates left stunned. R.I.P., Cory Lidle.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASA...t_id=1708962&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Last edited:
Re: Yankee Pitcher dead at 34

Yeah i heard that on the news.....at first they thought it was a terrorist attack, but then found that it wasnt...R.I.P. Cory Lidle

Re: 2008 World Series

Seriously... '2008 World Series' helps A LOT doesn't it?

EDIT: No wonder.. I'm aussie. I never would have known that it is baseball.

Seriously... '2008 World Series' helps A LOT doesn't it?

EDIT: No wonder.. I'm aussie. I never would have known that it is baseball.

lol, i forgot, but I still LOL when I read that, sorry, hehe :)

Edit: and for the record, I'm American and i hate Baseball

I'm American too. I don't _hate_ baseball... I just can't stay awake through a game.

FWIW, I was just hoping for an exciting "World" Series... well, as exciting as any baseball game can be, I guess. 4 games to 1... what a damn rip.

The MLB season is upon us! (MLB general discussion)

So as the NFL season is starting to wind down and the Super Bowl just two weeks away, I think it would be the best time to start discussing the upcoming baseball season. Most people don't know but I'm a die-hard Cubs fan (insert curse jokes here).

This thread is here for all of your baseball needs, from cans of Miller Lite full of needles, to the New York "We kick ass on paper" Mets, to the obligatory "This is the year the Yankees won't make the playoffs" discussion, and me talking about how the Cubs may go all the way (it'll happen, right? Guys? ....).

Feel free to talk about whatever you want baseball-related in this thread, but try to keep low-content, nothing posts to a minimum. It's cool that you like your team, but don't just say "GO DEVIL RAYS!" (devil rays fans? HAH!)...let us know why you like your team.

Also, I am really curious what everyone thinks about the Barry Bonds hearings, and not just "I hate people who use steroids, I have no respect for them".

I'll be posting in this thread from time to time, and monitoring it heavily, so try to keep the nonsense down. If this goes way off topic, I will have a mod lock it down.

Last edited:
Re: The MLB season is upon us!

mk is great,,,but theres nothing like baseball boys n girls,,,,,go white sox,,,ozzieball,,,southsiders,,good guys wwear black yessssss sirrrrrrrrrr man grew up in a sox family fan since i could remember plus i live 15min from comiskey park(us cellular)

Re: The MLB season is upon us!

The Sox got rid of Bobby Jenks (IMO a burden long since needed to be released), but with the addition of Adam Dunn, you have a great bat at DH. Plus Ozzie is in the last season of his contract I think? I know Buerhle is, so he better play good (hopefully not against the Cubs :) ) to keep his job there.

Re: The MLB season is upon us! (MLB general discussion)

ya pena was a dumb move in a way,, but garza is a plus a big plus,,,boston lookin good,,,f@#kin bobby jenks he lost it i hope he steps up for boston,,,cant wait for tickets to go on sale

It's all about the bosox this year. Made a lot of great pickups in the off season. I'm not venturing out and saying the yanks won't make the playoffs, but I am willing to call a NY & BOS ALCS.

I Feel bad for the rays, just when they start to compete, they dump 3/4 of their team like the marlins, I bet maddon is hating his life right now but I couldn't be happier!

Looking forward to some Cardinal baseball. Now if we could only lose Tony La Russa...