Miracle of Technology: Know When To Spot Fake Solos

Prophet

Okay, sometimes guitarists and such get lazy and use technology to advance their reputation. This file is to prove that theory.

The file you are about to listen to is me simply picking random notes on my guitar. The second part is the same file sped up, but each pick kept in normal pitch, so it sounds like some guitar solo. Judge for yourself... my fingers are sore ><

NOTE: You must copy and paste the URL into your Address Bar.

http://www.freewebs.com/aspenthorn/miracle-of-technology-solo.mp3

the results aren't very good but I do see what you where trying to do,I think it's pretty stupid to stoop to that level although it is possible to play the guitar very fast,much faster than that actually.
about the lowest I'd stoop would be over dubbing shit but that's done by plenty of my favorite musicians and they still do a decent job live.
if you can't get up to speed don't record it,it takes time to work up speed and technique.I'm still pretty sloppy sometimes but I've been trying to get over that hill and make my stuff sound less sloppy.
not to mention it's good to be fast but if you can't make it sound good what good is it.
there's also points where holding a not is the best thing for a perticular part in a solo.
I'd like you to listen to the first riff in Symphony X's song The Damnation game.

click here to hear the riff

now,it might seem like he's guilty of using this enhancement to play this but I can assure you he's not,he's using a string skiping technique and he's only hitting 6 different notes.it's the way he plays it that's hard and I'm already half speed on this riff.
Micheal Romeo is a great Classically trained guitarist who plays in the Band Symphony X.a Progressive Metal band who's majorly influenced by classical music.
you can certainly gain that speed sooner or later but it takes a hell of alot of practice...you'd never reach that point within a year,or even two years,probably not even three.
but with determination and practice it's possible to do it sooner or later.

Yeah, using classical techniques is probably the easiest/hardest way to play really fast guitar.

Easy, because you use all your fingers. Hard because you have to be that coordinated with both hands at the same time.

K1LLKANO said:
Yeah, using classical techniques is probably the easiest/hardest way to play really fast guitar.

Easy, because you use all your fingers. Hard because you have to be that coordinated with both hands at the same time.
actually he is using a pick but he's using linear scales (dunno why they're called linear scales if they aren't that linear but they do).
he does a hell of alot of sweep arpeggios though too.trust me,alot of his stuff is faster than that.
I seen a video of him and almost shit myself.
he's the most phenominal guitarist in the neoclassical progressive style IMO.
Yngwie Malmsteen is good but put face to face he can't match Michael Romeo in speed or sound.
also Steve Vai has hit 18 notes in one second,most decent guitarists can only get up to 13 so that's quite an acheivment.my bro got 14 last time he was over here.he's been playing for over 27 years now though and he used to actually be better.like pulling a whole bunch of Yngwie type shit...he's still great though.

For the record, I'm not trying to show off any sort of guitar talent, just to clear that up. I know I stink, really.

Anyway, something else.. where do you place your fingers for the Dsus/F# chord? I need it for a song that uses Em7, Cadd6, and Dsus/F#.

Prophet said:
For the record, I'm not trying to show off any sort of guitar talent, just to clear that up. I know I stink, really.

Anyway, something else.. where do you place your fingers for the Dsus/F# chord? I need it for a song that uses Em7, Cadd6, and Dsus/F#.
I dunno too much about chords to be honest..but I might be able to figure it out with this thing I have.personally I just play chords the way I'm comfortable playing them,although I don't use alot of different chords.I'm more of a play whatever sounds good kinda guy.although I've looked into scales plenty of times..trying for the Chinese scale to incorperate that into my style.
I think guitar pro 4 has something that tells you cuz I use that for writing my tablature and learning other songs.I don't use that function but I'm pretty sure it's in there.

That sounds like an impressive solo by Symphony X... no offense, but I've heard better. I haven't heard alot of guitar solos, so I'm going with gut instinct, but it seems either Stefan Elmgren or Oscar Dronjak would be my favorite. They do amazing solos IMO.

So where would you guys rate my favorite, Alex Lifeson? Guitarist for Rush if it's a bit before your time. I know he's slowed down, but that band is the shiz-nittle-bam-snip-snap-sally!

K1LLKANO said:
So where would you guys rate my favorite, Alex Lifeson? Guitarist for Rush if it's a bit before your time. I know he's slowed down, but that band is the shiz-nittle-bam-snip-snap-sally!
well..his style certainly works for Rush,I think his style was just right for Getti Lee and the drummer (forgot his name but he's friggin' awesome,not too fast but the way he plays makes up for it).
I don't like to Rate guitarists too much though,I haven't heard enough and I've heard too many guitarists to really say because there are alot of good guitarists out there that I have alot of respect for.

and just for the record thats not a clip of a solo that I posted,that's just the main riff and probably one of the least complex riffs in the song...not the fastest either.really man,you just have to see this guy in action to really beleive me.it's fucking nuts!

being a punk fan i prefer solos that have more bending than tapping, like noodles of the offspring, or doyle from the misfits. the guitarist from bigwig is amazing and also the guitarist from primus is just... odd. it's hard to get a sound like him no matter what you do. punk guitarists are commonly overlooked.

the mp3 that prophet posted would have sounded a lot more efective if the distortion was on and the picking a lot softer. i hear guitarists like zakk wylde (however it's spelt, the guys a cunt so i don't give a crap) pluck every note and you can hardly hear the picking at all.

i dont think ive ever come across a fake solo before tho, even bands like sum-41 play their own solos. like midget kong said, if you cant play it dont record it. that's why i was in a ska-punk band, nice and simple lol

Goraka said:
being a punk fan i prefer solos that have more bending than tapping, like noodles of the offspring, or doyle from the misfits. the guitarist from bigwig is amazing and also the guitarist from primus is just... odd. it's hard to get a sound like him no matter what you do. punk guitarists are commonly overlooked.

the mp3 that prophet posted would have sounded a lot more efective if the distortion was on and the picking a lot softer. i hear guitarists like zakk wylde (however it's spelt, the guys a cunt so i don't give a crap) pluck every note and you can hardly hear the picking at all.

i dont think ive ever come across a fake solo before tho, even bands like sum-41 play their own solos. like midget kong said, if you cant play it dont record it. that's why i was in a ska-punk band, nice and simple lol

I kinda like the way you think about solos..I certainly rely alot on bending hammer-ons and pull offs.and your right,it's not good to pick every note,just pick what needs to be picked,otherwise it sounds like shit (wow that is so quotable).
I know for a fact Zakk doesn't pick every note though.mostly the reason I like him is because of his amazing ability to do pinch harmonics the way he does.I mean,I can hit pinch harmonics now but not like him.he does them at the weirdest points too and they sound friggin' awesome.
most of his stuff is just the pentatonic scale though.
I got an instuctional video of him from young guitar.
if you watch any instructional video though you should watch John Pettruci's:Rock Discipline.
it's really a great video and gives ya some great tips and excersizes.

I'd give my left nut right now to be able to do pinch harmonics like Zakk. I've been completely hit or miss with those things ever since I figured out how to play them.