Mortal Kombat 1 inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame

Tarkatan Trash

The first Mortal Kombat game is among 4 games confirmed for the Class of 2019. The other 3 games are Super Mario Kart, Solitaire, and Colossal Cave Adventure.

The World Video Game Hall of Fame was established in 2015, and notable inductees since then include Pong, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Invaders, Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy VII, John Madden Football, and Tomb Raider. MK1 is the second fighting game inducted, following the aforementioned Street Fighter II. While SF2 singlehandedly popularized the entire genre, MK1 pushed the boundaries of violent content and its success and controversy led to the creation of the ESRB.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Personally, MK1 should have preceded Tomb Raider and FF7 in being added into the HOF. That is really great though that MK1 is still getting recognition. I've only played a couple of rounds of it once on a SNES a couple years back, but it was a fun time. Thanks for the news

My question about the HoF is why don't they put the best games in said series' or even add more in the same series when they do these? They could've easily used Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Tomb Raider 2, added UMK3, FFVI, and FFIX.

My question about the HoF is why don't they put the best games in said series' or even add more in the same series when they do these? They could've easily used Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Tomb Raider 2, added UMK3, FFVI, and FFIX.
The first initial games had the first big impact over time. So while the sequels are superior, they aren't the ones that made the series noteworthy from the beginning. So it's relevance first. Street Fighter 2 is what put that series on the map, and the same goes for Super Mario Bros instead of the original Mario Bros title. Plus, I think they want to milk which series or game gets added by the year since we've only really had about 40 years of video games.

On a semi-unrelated note, what Tomb Raider games do you recommend? I played some of the reboot and found it boring (like I was just going through the motions), but I am enjoying Underworld so far.

The first initial games had the first big impact over time. So while the sequels are superior, they aren't the ones that made the series noteworthy from the beginning. So it's relevance first. Street Fighter 2 is what put that series on the map, and the same goes for Super Mario Bros instead of the original Mario Bros title. Plus, I think they want to milk which series or game gets added by the year since we've only really had about 40 years of video games.

On a semi-unrelated note, what Tomb Raider games do you recommend? I played some of the reboot and found it boring (like I was just going through the motions), but I am enjoying Underworld so far.

As mentioned previously, SF2 put an entire genre on the map, not just its series. If we were going on gameplay or tournament scene, SF3 Third Strike would get the nod over SF2.

True. Also, in terms of relevance. MK2 will definitely precede MK3 for the debut of Shao Kahn as well as the introduction of babalities, friendships and secret opponents.

MK might have beat Street Fighter to secret opponents. I don't think Akuma was added in the game until Street Fighter 2 Hyper Turbo

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

It should be pointed out that, thanks to a translation error of "Shoryuken", EGM published an April Fools hoax claiming that you could fight against Sheng Long by picking Ryu, going all the way through Sagat without taking any damage, then going a full 10 rounds against M. Bison without giving or receiving damage (clearly, those prerequisites are impossible to pull off in practice). This was published a few months before MK1 was released, and Reptile got added in a later revision.

I don't know if this is merely a coincidence or if Ed Boon and the gang specifically got the idea from the Sheng Long hoax.

It should be pointed out that, thanks to a translation error of "Shoryuken", EGM published an April Fools hoax claiming that you could fight against Sheng Long by picking Ryu, going all the way through Sagat without taking any damage, then going a full 10 rounds against M. Bison without giving or receiving damage (clearly, those prerequisites are impossible to pull off in practice). This was published a few months before MK1 was released, and Reptile got added in a later revision.

I don't know if this is merely a coincidence or if Ed Boon and the gang specifically got the idea from the Sheng Long hoax.

I vaguely recall Ed Boon or John Tobias admitting to hanging around the arcades to see what people were talking about. I know he did admit to being blown away by the combos that Kitana players were using in MK2. I believe that video was Kitana's bio kard.

Rich Divizio definitely visited arcades according to another bio kard or video... So it's likely it was a mix of rumors as well as the Street Fighter mags.