MK11 Universal Mechanics Discussion

FlawlessVictor

Does anyobody here have thoughts and concerns about the game's mechanics? Here are few things known so far

Meter
  • 2 seperate sources for offensive and defensive moves, both are fill at the start of round
  • some moves may use both resources if they have defensive and offensive properties
  • fills automatically, and at different rate depending on the move used

Movement
  • dash is still present, but no full on running like MK3 and MK11
  • short hop activated by tapping up,

Enhanced Specials
  • uses meter, most likely offensive
  • instead of the usual input+block, it will vary by move (this may change in the final build depending on the reception)

Krushing Blows
  • limited to 1 per match
  • move-specific that have different activation requirements and properties, you can say it's more nuanced version SFV's crush counters

Fatal Blows
  • activation is tied to the user's health (30% or lower) instead of super meter
  • will be under cooldown on whiff or block, but can activated again after the cooldown is over
  • cannot be used again for the entire match once successfully landed

All I can say about this is that I'm glad they got rid of that run button. Dashing was perfect in MK9. Hopefully the game has less of that 50/50 cointoss crap too.

All I can say about this is that I'm glad they got rid of that run button. Dashing was perfect in MK9. Hopefully the game has less of that 50/50 cointoss crap too.

Same here! The run button was great in the early games not so much now.
Dashing in MK9 was fine, I won't be missing the run button.

As far as concerns go I have none, just excitement. I'm so happy variations are GONE.
I can't really say which new features I'll like or dislike till I get my hands on the game.

Same here! The run button was great in the early games not so much now.
Dashing in MK9 was fine, I won't be missing the run button.

As far as concerns go I have none, just excitement. I'm so happy variations are GONE.
I can't really say which new features I'll like or dislike till I get my hands on the game.

Actually, variations are in MK11. I thought the variation system is nice in theory, but unfortunately some variations felt like an afterthought with certain characters. It's like NRS was running out time/ideas towards the end.

Actually, variations are in MK11. I thought the variation system is nice in theory, but unfortunately some variations felt like an afterthought with certain characters. It's like NRS was running out time/ideas towards the end.

Yeah you're right they are in but at least we get to pick what we want to stay.. and it's not like MKX. I can't stand signature moves that characters have had over 20 years not being part of a universal move set.

I also hope they FIX scorps spear B-B-LP 4life.

Yeah you're right they are in but at least we get to pick what we want to stay.. and it's not like MKX. I can't stand signature moves that characters have had over 20 years not being part of a universal move set.

I also hope they FIX scorps spear B-B-LP 4life.

It's confirmed that for tournaments it's going to be like MKX where you only have 3 dev created variations to choose from. It isn't confirmed that it'll be for Ranked yet, but there's a chance.

I personally think that moves should be selected at the character select screen. Make it like MvC in the same style you select assists. Pick your character, menu drops down, you choose what specials you want and go to the match.

I personally think that moves should be selected at the character select screen. Make it like MvC in the same style you select assists. Pick your character, menu drops down, you choose what specials you want and go to the match.

I can definitely see them heading that direction for the next game, it only makes sense and if you want to make permanent changes then it should be outside the character select screen.

So far everything sounds fine to me, I never once used the run button in MKX anyway. I like the changes to the meter system as well although they move the offensive and defensive meters and make them thin lines under the health bar. Too many things on the screen right now and it looks cluttered.

So far everything sounds fine to me, I never once used the run button in MKX anyway. I like the changes to the meter system as well although they move the offensive and defensive meters and make them thin lines under the health bar. Too many things on the screen right now and it looks cluttered.
I'm sorry, what? Never used the run button? How did you play the game?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, what? Never used the run button? How did you play the game?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Really? I'm not trying to imitate pro players, I do the combos that are in the list and try when I can to mix things up a bit but I never felt the need to use the run button.

Really? I'm not trying to imitate pro players, I do the combos that are in the list and try when I can to mix things up a bit but I never felt the need to use the run button.

But what about inbetween combos? Did you just walk to your opponent and do another combo?

I liked both the dash and run button, but what I hated about MKX was there combo system. Total trash, this game looks a bit different so I have hopes so far for it.

IRC, the lack of run button in MK9 wasn't really much of issue once people found out you can cancel the dash with block. However, it seems it's not as effective in MK11. .

It's been the number 1 complaint for so many people. I'd be shocked if Nrs didn't address it before launch. I'd be so down for another MK game that played like 9

Me too. I guess the most times where I run it's when faction tasks asks me to. Otherwise I absolutely forget there is running, it's totally playable this way for me. Maybe not for some things, but I play exactly as above.

It's been the number 1 complaint for so many people. I'd be shocked if Nrs didn't address it before launch. I'd be so down for another MK game that played like 9

To me I don't think it's a big issue like everyone's making it seem to be, they even said they want MK11 to be "MK11" and nothing like the last two games.

Everyone also lost their shit when Dashes recovered hella slow during the X Reveal as well and didn't understand how Run basically shaped the Meta of that game. I just wish people would just give it a shot, learn the movement of the game and if it's shit then adjust moving forward. I am happy that they're shying away from 50/50s and a more neutral based game, TBH that's what turned me off about X.

Not saying that neutral didn't exist, but I felt like why even play neutral if I can run up into Low risk 50/50 lol.

To me I don't think it's a big issue like everyone's making it seem to be, they even said they want MK11 to be "MK11" and nothing like the last two games.

Everyone also lost their shit when Dashes recovered hella slow during the X Reveal as well and didn't understand how Run basically shaped the Meta of that game. I just wish people would just give it a shot, learn the movement of the game and if it's shit then adjust moving forward. I am happy that they're shying away from 50/50s and a more neutral based game, TBH that's what turned me off about X.

Not saying that neutral didn't exist, but I felt like why even play neutral if I can run up into Low risk 50/50 lol.

Have you seen this yet?

It's the best gameplay shown yet, it's from the Brazil event. These players are giving us a good idea of how the game will be played at a high level. There's no dashing at all, but it looks like they significantly buffed walk speeds. The spacing, whiff punishing and trip guards in this video are insane.

Have you seen this yet?

It's the best gameplay shown yet, it's from the Brazil event. These players are giving us a good idea of how the game will be played at a high level. There's no dashing at all, but it looks like they significantly buffed walk speeds. The spacing, whiff punishing and trip guards in this video are insane.

I watched that as SOON as he uploaded, and watching it made me so excited. I do agree, the walking does look a lot faster than the reveal gameplay footage and I really want to compare.

Scorpion's Misery Blade looks so sick, I'm more interested in seeing how much of a threat it is after we optimize the follow ups.

I know that it's been confirmed that they'll be 3 Pre set variations like in X, but I feel that would be horrible. I agree with your suggestion to make it Marvel-ish and allow us to pick 3 Specials so the game doesn't get stale fast and it'll get rid of the "Best Variation" issue we had in MKX/.

I know that it's been confirmed that they'll be 3 Pre set variations like in X, but I feel that would be horrible. I agree with your suggestion to make it Marvel-ish and allow us to pick 3 Specials so the game doesn't get stale fast and it'll get rid of the "Best Variation" issue we had in MKX/.

Instead of "Best Variation", it will be "Best Combination of Moves". Given enough time, people will find out what loadouts would be the most optimal for a given character.

Last edited: