MK11 Universal Mechanics Discussion

Instead of "Best Variation", it will be "Best Combination of Moves". Given enough time, people will find out what loadouts would be the most optimal for a given character.

Yea, but hopefully not. Instead, I hope that each kit even the "Best Combination of Moves" are susceptible of being Counter Picked.

I really don't want this game to become stale competitively from lack of variety. That's what made me quit playing SFV every character played the same through out the 2.5 seasons I played and was such a chore, You'd get like one new tool and small frame data adjustments that really didn't effect Match Ups at all.

Yea, but hopefully not. Instead, I hope that each kit even the "Best Combination of Moves" are susceptible of being Counter Picked.

I really don't want this game to become stale competitively from lack of variety. That's what made me quit playing SFV every character played the same through out the 2.5 seasons I played and was such a chore, You'd get like one new tool and small frame data adjustments that really didn't effect Match Ups at all.

Do you still sfv? What’s the cfn?

It looks like amplified/enchanced specials have reverted to inputs similar to MK9 and MKX, a decision I am happy with. Personally, I didn't see the need to complicate what should be basic tool.

+ no more divvying meter to the punching bad / loser (*such a system only works in [old school] SNK games, and largely because they have actual input commands and landing attacks takes more than just YOLO'ing 'em)
+ two-part meter may imbue more depth (*contingent upon whether they've designed with depth in mind, or just as a bulwark against potentially broken aspects of the game they may crop up, a la the "breaker" mechanics of the past)

- auto-regen = even less neural activity required (re. meter management)
- if everything and sundry are tied to meters, the game may feel restrictive and the gameplay flow, predictable

+ slower should = more methodical and deliberate, as well as less rush-down-y
+ the departure from the 'animé' (hyper-kinetic, high combo hit-count, button-mash-friendly) direction that most fighting games have spiralled towards in recent years, is surely a good move
+ the more "cinematic" feel that slower gameplay inherently imbues a game with, should make the combat more visceral

- if the game is shallow (in terms of variety), slow boring is exponentially worse than fast boring
- may make the already touted "less combo-centric" gameplay too easy and, thus, people will drop the game earlier

Enhanced Specials
+ adds gameplay variety
+ refreshing to see such mechanics remain and coëxist with new ones (i.e., KB's), as opposed to being dropped for untested new stuff

- the back-pedalling / in utero abortion of the "Amplify" input scheme, means said mechanic is simply "Burns" under another name (perhaps sans armour) -- MKX all over again
- some of the "amplified" specials aren't very inventive or seemingly meter-worthy (*contingent upon play-testing)

Krushing Blows
+ again, more cinematic gameplay is a good thing -- as long as it's not too intrusive and disruptive of gameplay flow (see what not to do: Soul Calibur VI's "Reversal Edge" mechanic)
+ the reliance on the erstwhile "X-Rays" and one-watch-wonder Fatalities, in order to convey the franchise's trademark gratuity, was starting lose its effectiveness -- KB's should add more variety, in this respect

- if there are too few of these attacks (*more likely too few than too many, given the work that would have to go into each move), they could well become boring to watch (*some already seem to be reaching a bit... like Cage's 'glasses to the face' KB)
- damage-scaling may kill the hype of these moves, if the oft touted "big damage" of the KB's (tfw 20% HP = "big damage" nowadays: :hmmmm2: ) are scaled to chip--when tacked onto the end attack strings
- some of the requirements seem rather arcane -- incongruously so, given how eager they were to dump the aforementioned "Amplify" input scheme (...an area of the game were some variety / diversity / [character] individuality may have actually been welcome)

Fatal Blows
+ same as with meters, better give 'em to everyone for free, than only to the worst combatant
+ if, as stated, FB's are not invincible / armoured upon start-up, it should mean they are not as prone to as the mechanic implies on face value
+ increasing the "four to five seconds" (delay between FB use) up to nine(9), will hopefully mitigate exploitation of said mechanic

- without any execution bar, nor any meter restriction, FB's will almost certainly be seen in every match; and given they are effectively non-interactive mini cut-scenes (...QTE's / button prompts, anyone?), and each character (again) has only one of these attacks to avail, FB's could become as nauseating as Injustice's infamous "Clashes"
- damage-scaling here, again, could render the moves a YOLO-only exercise (thereby, becoming a casual-centric mechanic); with any possible "hype" generated from big damage comebacks (...what such fighting game "super moves" were initially designed for, incidentally), near non-existent (again)
- with KB's present, the whole "x-ray" gimmick might begin to grate -- player-1: KB, KB, KB, FB... player-2, KB, KB, FB, KB...* -- something those who have played the Sniper Elite franchise (and its spin-offs) would likely attest to

Last edited: