is MK missing from MK?

NinjaNinja

In MKX many people complained that the backgrounds were boring and generic and empty of all the elements that always made MK unique and stand out from other games, eg purple skies, creepy floating monks, pits, spikes, pools of acid etc but from what ive seen so far it seems like they did it again and were stuck fighting in warehouses with boxes and traffic cones with the new addition of a jizz stained mattress :/ awesome!

I feel the backgrounds in MK9 were far superior in terms of creativity and imagination. they showed us creepy yet beautiful, dark yet vibrant and with an other worldly vibe that im still waiting to see come back to the MK series as oppose to watching characters fight in such grey, dull uninspiring settings that we keep getting lately in MK games. Im curious to know if anyone else feels like what makes MK is missing from MK!??

also a little side note about the presentation

Ive noticed in both MKX and MK11 that the fights take place further within the environment and the characters are now a lot closer to the background so that they can interact with it which is fine but a lot of the time this can make the games presentation look cluttered and messy especially when the colours of the characters are the same as the environment like baraka here getting lost in the background because he is the same colour

baraka got lost.jpg

Personally i much preferred MK9s presentation where the characters and the platform they were fighting on were the foreground whether it be a bridge or a narrow path or road etc and the background stuff was way off into the background so that all the action is more crisp and cleaner and easier to make out whats going on making it more visually pleasing to watch when both playing and spectating matches

baraka mk92.jpg

I know most people will tell me to just stick to playing MK9 if i dont like the new direction but i really do want to be hyped for the new game but from what ive seen so far i still feel like that special something that makes MK MK is missing.

anyone out there feel the same?

hopefully new reveals down the line will fill the gap (fingers crossed)

Attachments

• baraka mk9.jpg
    baraka mk9.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Have you watched more than 2 matches?

Nethership, Shang Tsung's island, Tarkatan camp and a new gore shrine looking place all have the classic, fantasy vibe MKX was missing. And this is only a handful of the stages. Watch more trailers and you'll see them

MK9 is my favorite MK and will most likely stay that way, but MK11 has some of the most beautiful stages. I think your problem is with lighting on the characters. NRS could remedy it by using rim lighting like they did in 9.

I love the new stages that they've shown, MKX only had a couple of stages that really stand out but so far all 3 in this one are very nice, if I had to pick my least favorite it'd be the military desert stage but having that cactus interactable is going to make that worth being there alone. I do hope we get a remake of the living forest, Dead Pool (acid pit) and Shang Tsung's garden at some point, I'd love to see how they can make them look this gen vs last gen. It's nice that they've upped the amount of arenas in this game as well.

I honestly think the Living Forest should be in every MK game. It's so iconic to Mortal Kombat and right up there with The Pit as best stage in the series

Nah, I think the games are just adjusting to the technology. I love MK9. Very beautiful but I prefer the look of MK11 over 9 and X. The perfect blend so far.

The aesthetics will never be as stoic and interesting as the classics. Or maybe I'm getting old..
Have you watched more than 2 matches?

Nethership, Shang Tsung's island, Tarkatan camp and a new gore shrine looking place all have the classic, fantasy vibe MKX was missing. And this is only a handful of the stages. Watch more trailers and you'll see them

Nethership? I've only seen the Courtyard and Black Dragon hideout. Hopefully this means Shang?

I'd go for an MK9 remake with MK11's graphics :) I know it won't happen but I'd buy that three times over lol.

We already have an mk9 remake. It's mk11....

Now if they would just go on and only improve the graphic fidelity, keep the gameplay same but fix bugs like 1 player advantage, improve online, and keep it 100% uncensored....THAT I would buy 3 times over as soon as it gets announced.

If they're adding MK1-3 as an in-game HD arcade port then that'd be absolutely immense - particularly as my XB360 RROD'd so I can no longer access my XBL Arcade version of 1-3.

I guess that also technically means Smoke is in MK11... :santaclaus: