Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Yes and unfortunately, they made him extremely weaker. I hope that will not be the case with Kronika. I love playing as cheap bosses (one of the reasons why I love playing as Orochi and O. Rugal in KOF98UM).

So, you're saying you like to cheat in online and tournament play? I mean, what you do offline in your own home is your own business, but once again, Akuma is banned from tournaments in SSF2T for a very good reason.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It won't surprise me if they do bring Onaga as DLC since they have the other Khans in the game. Onaga is a big dragon character, so he will draw in the non hardcore MK fans into playing as him. I feel like he is long over due to return.

Nah ah, homie. This 2019. That excuse won't work. Reptile started as a color swapped ninja in a limited, 2D sprite based game almost 30 years ago. The game's lore wasn't even fleshed out.
But this is MK11 now. 2019. They suddenly introduce a character with no build up and claim that this character engineered all of the events up to this point and gave her the most laziest design, just to have a box checked.

LOL.
This was literally Ferra/Torr and Erron Black in MKX, though.
Blank slate / bland characters with no lore build up that we got little to no info on except "Oh, they're Kotal's henchmen" (because of course), and yet Erron Black is back for MK11.

They wrote such shit, that they themselves just pressed "RESET" button and left it to burn.

On this I agree with you.

LOL.
This was literally Ferra/Torr and Erron Black in MKX, though.
Blank slate / bland characters with no lore build up that we got little to no info on except "Oh, they're Kotal's henchmen" (because of course), and yet Erron Black is back for MK11.

On this I agree with you.

And I am not saying anything against that. Though Ferra/Torr I could KIIINDA understand. As they were some sort barely known species/tribe whatever. So basically seeing them is rare or something. But Erron Black? Another guy who has been working from the shadows... Man, remember the times when you would find hints/legends/clues in previous games and then boom, next game you have the thing happen?

Now it is. Here is a new character. They were always part of the lore, you just didn't see them, as they worked from shadows. But they did every important thing in the story. You just didn't see it. Don't question our logic.

And people still bring that bullshit excuse. "Tis is a fighting game! Story isn't as important!" Madafawka, if you introduce a thing called CINEMATIC STORY MODE, then do the BARE MINIMUM and write the DAMN STORY. Story requires consistency, lore, a PROPER FOUNDATION so the person can follow it from the start to the finish. Nobody is asking for them to write Django or the next Revenant. Just do the BARE MINIMUM. Cause at this point there is no point in investing in any of the characters. Oh, you fell in love with the character? Been a huge fan of the character for years? Loved the character for whom they are and how they started? WELL SHIT HAPPENS BOIS. Next game that character is gonna be 180. I bet they gonna make Fujin gay next. And he is romantically involved with Raiden.

Kronika is just the worst offender in this instance. As her existence is an insult to the entire lore.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the new blank slate characters, and yeah, I've said for years that I'd like to know more about these characters that isn't just some "they were there all along" or the MK11 equivalent BS of Stephanie's "Lore Minute."

That said, for as much as I've heard complaints about Kronika, Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah being offenders of the whole blank slate / retcon / "they were there all along" fad in the last few games, how easily people forget that they did that shit with Quan Chi in Mythologies, somehow being the mastermind behind the Scorpion and Sub-Zero feud.
Yet, people give Quan Chi a hypocritical pass because he's "cool." M'kay.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the new blank slate characters, and yeah, I've said for years that I'd like to know more about these characters that isn't just some "they were there all along" or the MK11 equivalent BS of Stephanie's "Lore Minute."

That said, for as much as I've heard complaints about Kronika, Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah being offenders of the whole blank slate / retcon / "they were there all along" fad in the last few games, how easily people forget that they did that shit with Quan Chi in Mythologies, somehow being the mastermind behind the Scorpion and Sub-Zero feud.

Well you see, the older gen chars are debatable. When MK was still being built and things like Story in fighting games was nothing more, but a joke for the sake of simple entertainment, it was easier for them to add chars like that. Once again games back then, had huge limitations. Mythologies was pretty much the first "proper" story based game of MK world too. Games before that told majority of the story through arcade endings. Even so, once tech advanced and it was possible to add proper narrative to video games, without having to depend on text based narratives, the excuse of adding characters out of blue, flew out of the window. Games began evolving.

Midway games back then actually evolved with their fighting game stories. Yeah, sure. Story was still cheesy and cliche, but tell me one fighting game that gave you options like Deception, Armageddon or Shaolin Monks? They aren't remembered fondly just cause of nostalgia. They left an impact. For the first time fighting games introduced an option for players to travel the world of that universe. That helped build stable foundations for the lore. Even with things like Chaos language being just devs making jokes in reverse, it was still amazing to visit all of the different realms. Build the image of the world, as you explore it and meet all the known characters and find them at specific chapter of their journey.

But now? Chars appearing out of nowhere, random boring locations and instead of witnessing the story through your gameplay, you watch cutscenes.

Btw... Kotal Kahn got butchered as a char. I would say it is even worse than it was for me with Frost. Frost was never established as interesting character since her new reveal in MKX comics. She was always shown as an idiot with zero personality and constant whining.

But Kotal Kahn. While the char was one of those "He was always there", he was at least a legit interesting char in MKX comics, but then in MKX got butchered into some weakling that turns tail at every corner and gets beaten in a random duel. MK11 was pretty much death sentence for him.

Eh. I mean... damn it is obvious for us all here. They just threw random stuff together and said "looks good enough", before they set in on fire.

Oh and don't get me started on "Lore Minute". It's like Destiny 1. Hey look at all this cool lore! None of it is in the game though! You have to join our little shitty website and read it there! Cause characters in our games don't have time to explain, why they don't have time to explain.

Lately I noticed this thing with creators. Game of Thrones, Destiny and now MK. They add a character or write a shitty episode and then give us a 1 minute explanation of why that happened...

Even with their limitations back then, though, during MKII and MK3 we knew that there was more going on with Sub-Zero (for example) and that there was more than meets the eye in the bio and ending, so I can't just excuse Midway completey, either.

MKII SZ Bio:
"Thought to have been vanquished in the Shaolin Tournament, Sub-Zero mysteriously returns. It is believed this secretitive member of the Lin Kuei, a legenary clan of Chinese ninjas has traveled into the Outworld to again attempt an assassination of Shang Tsung....."

Ending:
".......This new warrior is actually the younger brother of the original (MK1) Sub-Zero."

As for Kotal, yeah, I do wish that they would have better expounded on Kotal in MK11.

Even with the MK11 website, things like Goro's retconned death in MK11 are never explained and the shitty in-game explanation is that "when Shang Tsung died, then so did everyone on the island." It's utter horse-shit, though, because Goro had some awesome MKX comic book development and was alive at the end of the comic series and at the end of the MKX game itself.

It's ludicrous that we have to wait until goddamn Sheeva drops as DLC to hear certain intro lines (spoiler) to find out what the f-ing hell actually happened to Goro, post-MKX.

Reptile also started as a blank slate character in MK1 until MKII, so I don't see why any character can't be further developed, but whatever.
I've probably already given more attention to a character that probably won't matter in MK12, anyways.

There's also Noob Saibot. Who started out as a meme character and didn't become more fleshed out until Deception where it was revealed that he was the original Sub-Zero and the current one's brother.

Someone modded Jacqui to have Sektor's model and it literally hurts my heart that they cut him from the game

qi1Q2P.gif

There's also Noob Saibot. Who started out as a meme character and didn't become more fleshed out until Deception where it was revealed that he was the original Sub-Zero and the current one's brother.

There's Rain, too, who just started out as an attract screen character for the UMK3 arcade machine and then later became a fleshed out character. Ermac and Skarlet were also previously just coding glitches for Scorpion and Kitana, respectively, until they got fleshed out.
There are examples all over the place of MK characters coming from nothing and getting further put into the lore.

Someone modded Jacqui to have Sektor's model and it literally hurts my heart that they cut him from the game

qi1Q2P.gif

I'm actually surprised that those 2 (Cyrax and Sektor) weren't in MK11, given how they both have 3-slot consumables which are usually just reserved for roster characters.

To be fair though, the Brotherhood of Shadows was mention as being in the background of MK3.

Those Ermac and Skarlet "glitches" were hoaxes, the former in particular was perpetuated by EGM magazine (the same publication responsible for the Sheng Long hoax in the World Warrior version of SF2) in an attempt to scam gullible readers.

Rain was in the attract mode to scam players into thinking you could play as him or fight against him, and nobody figured out that Ed Boon was a Prince fan at the time.

There's Rain, too, who just started out as an attract screen character for the UMK3 arcade machine and then later became a fleshed out character. Ermac and Skarlet were also previously just coding glitches for Scorpion and Kitana, respectively, until they got fleshed out.
There are examples all over the place of MK characters coming from nothing and getting further put into the lore.

I'm actually surprised that those 2 (Cyrax and Sektor) weren't in MK11, given how they both have 3-slot consumables which are usually just reserved for roster characters.

Which is funny really. I remember clear as day how Boon said that they won't do that again. And yet..

Ironically I consider MK11 Sektor and Cyrax designs being the best, out of all of their previous versions.

To be fair though, the Brotherhood of Shadows was mention as being in the background of MK3.

Which is a perfect explanation for Quan Chi and Noob Saibot, but I was speaking more specifically how Midway inserted Quan Chi into the middle of the Scorpion / Sub-Zero feud in MK4 and in MK9, as if it was somehow "his" plan all along. We just didn't happend to see him prior to MK3 because he "was there all along, in the background," much like Kotal Kahn, Erron Black, Ferra / Torr, D'Vorah and Cetrion in MKX and MK11, respectively.

Those Ermac and Skarlet "glitches" were hoaxes, the former in particular was perpetuated by EGM magazine (the same publication responsible for the Sheng Long hoax in the World Warrior version of SF2) in an attempt to scam gullible readers.

Rain was in the attract mode to scam players into thinking you could play as him or fight against him, and nobody figured out that Ed Boon was a Prince fan at the time.

I can confirm that the MK1 "Ermac" glitch was NOT a hoax.
It's alive and well on my perfectly working Sega Genesis, and I've tested out the theory various times that when you select Scorpion sometimes he will in fact turn red.
It's a color / coding glitch, but it sure as hell isn't a hoax. I can assure you of that.

Which is a perfect explanation for Quan Chi and Noob Saibot, but I was speaking more specifically how Midway inserted Quan Chi into the middle of the Scorpion / Sub-Zero feud in MK4 and in MK9, as if it was somehow "his" plan all along. We just didn't happend to see him prior to MK3 because he "was there all along, in the background," much like Kotal Kahn, Erron Black, Ferra / Torr, D'Vorah and Cetrion in MKX and MK11, respectively.

I can confirm that the MK1 "Ermac" glitch was NOT a hoax.
It's alive and well on my perfectly working Sega Genesis, and I've tested out the theory various times that when you select Scorpion sometimes he will in fact turn red.
It's a color / coding glitch, but it sure as hell isn't a hoax. I can assure you of that.
Does "Ceamr Odse Nto Exists" ring a bell?

Does "Ceamr Odse Nto Exists" ring a bell?

Do not cite the deep magic to me.
I was alive when it was written.

That MKII message was because people were looking for an official character called Ermac, but yes, the actual erro macro glitch itself in MK1 did and does still exist.

I have them, never read them though lol

It is cheesy and hilarious, but it is fun read. Raiden doesn't know how to use "I" and only speaks in third person. Or Goro actually being scary, instead of a punching bag.

Btw speaking of a joke. Not even 6 months passed...

Untitled-2.jpg

To be fair, this is PC only, but judging by viewership, Youtube censorship, lack of anyone caring, DLC movie characters taking priority, Sindel being retconned, PC issues... yeah. This game ain't doing hot.

Man, people called this months before MK11 even came out. They got 35k players and in less than 4 months, lost 34k. Even SFV with all its bullshit did way better in the first year.

I rarely ever take PC into account when it comes to sales, unless it's a PC exclusive thing.
People said Dishonored 2 also sold poorly, but it only sold 500K copies on PC because the optimization for it was shit on PC. Consoles ended up selling the other 2.5 million copies.

Also, "lack of anyone caring" is a pretty vague statement, considering that those who "don't care" are probably some of the disgruntled Mileena and Reptile fanbase vocal minority.
Aside from Ketchup and Mustard being absent, MK11 will have the vast majority of the MK3 playable roster and all of the MK1 roster, consisting of 19 out of 27 klassic characters, and there isn't a damn day that doesn't go by that someone doesn't bombard Boon with "Terminator" or "Spawn" questions / demands.

I don't disagree that it may be doing poorly on PC and Switch, due to the issues that those have had, but it's probably doing much better on PS4 and X1 considering that it was the best selling game for 2 months in a row.

Last edited: