Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Training for the exact same shit that I've been saying that will happen:

Spoiler:
another fcking MK reboot, just like MK9.

................but this time with the Great Kung Lao not dying at the hands of Goro.
Now that there's no Shang Tsung to interfere in the tournaments, Great Kung Lao doesn't get killed thanks to the help of "Lord" Liu Kang.

EDIT:

Looks like this comment aged pretty well...

Spoiler:
...as that seems like what they'll be doing for MK12 with the Great Kung Lao.

https://www.trmk.org/forums/showthr...n-Media-Thread?p=875136&viewfull=1#post875136

Reboot 2.0

Mortal Kombat Zero

Wiping out either side is bad news, besides, that needs A LOT of power, not even Kronika could. And what Raiden did was glorious, but that's what triggered her, and look at the mess.

If NRS reads the previous game when producing MK12, the idea of Kronika's New Era was no Raiden, Shinnok/Cetrion again. This leads me to the idea that in Kang's timeline there's no Shinnok, but it has been slightly implied this means shit, even though we don't know what.

Still, he's training Kung Lao, so there are still threats to Earthrealm. If Outworld attacks again, let's remember Shao Kahn only attacked Earthrealm after Shinnok, and when the first was distracted with Edenia, the latter was still an Elder God by status.

Simply put, they have a lot of s** to build up again, and I highly doubt Shinnok's erasing is permanent. And I don't think Liu Kang's New Era will endure far too long.

In the Shao Johnny interaction he states that Shinnok aint shit pretty much. Which leads me to believe that Shao and Shinnok have crossed paths before. Also, according to canon isn't Shao Kahn an immortal who has lived for a very long time?

Last edited:
Mortal Kombat Zero

In the Shao Johnny interaction he states that Shinnok aint shit pretty much. Which leads me to believe that Shao and Shinnok have crossed paths before. Also, according to canon isn't Shao Kahn an immortal who has lived for a very long time?

He was dissing Shinnok. Shao Kahn plays the brute game, Shinnok plays the long strategic one, and while he's mighty he's not strong physically speaking. And that has never been a problem, I mean, Raiden was able to defeat Shinnok on every scenario we know, still he always had a tough time facing Shao Kahn, even if he won strategically.

I also took that as a subtle way of NRS trying to justify Cassie's victory over an Elder God empowered by the Jinsei. His powers were nullified by hers, so that fight, in the end, was ability vs ability. Shinnok is much more of a "wizard" type than warrior, he's like max lvl cap of magic and high but not so much kombat. Besides, his amulet makes him OP if he can use his powers.

About interactions, he knows Shinnok like anybody does, but there's no answer if they crossed paths in the rivalry sense. He shows knowledge, but remember, he's evil incarnate, certainly Shao Kahn knows him, specially if he was ever a god. Old timeline they certainly did, Shao Kahn was "subordinate" of him.

Well, been discussing with some people in other platforms too, Shao Kahn's origins are still up to debate. Is he a immortal? Yes. God? Deception points to a yes, but still up to debate. Geras tells Fujin that gods are immortals, so I really think Shao Kahn being Outworld's former god, more than an advisor, isn't far fetched. But maybe an immortal advisor only. Still, no canon answer.

I don't think we're done, story wise.

There were some things that screamed more story. I mean, why do we see Shao Kahn and Sindel enslaving the Cage family? Why are Liu Kang's legs broken, but we don't see Shao Kahn killing him? Why in the Shang Tsung ending we have Raiden saying that Chaosrealm and Orderealm are yet to be conquered? If it truly was the end with nothing more coming, wouldn't it make more sense to have Raiden say that Shang Tsung owns everything in order to bring a perfect closure for his evil ending?

Maybe it's the Havik fanboy talking within me, but … I really think that Shang's ending is canon, and we're going to see a Havik/Hotaru team-up (the unlikeliest of allies) spearheading an alliance with the KP2 MK characters as they take the fight to Shang Tsung and the Earthrealm forces who are probably now raised in worshipping Shang Tsung as their God and Master.

I think that NRS wrote the Shang Tsung finale purposefully like that to work as a cliffhanger, in case WB greenlights another story add-on if sales of Aftermath were satisfactory. Liu Kang's ending obviously cannot work like that since it's 100% a reboot.

We'll see. I think we have more things to come, definitely in terms of characters as also in terms of story. MK11's official twitter said they're taking a short break, which means there's more stuff to come later on.

But, Commander, what's the source of the 8 generations? I never came up in contact with this info.

The "problem" with this timeline is that once again if we go by logic, there's no Shinnok, therefore no "Shao Kahn followed in his footsteps", and basically the father of evil in the universe won't exist. And there's no Shang Tsung this time, if Liu Kang's endind is indeed what we'll follow, so...wouldn't make sense if things go by as MK1.

But yes, Raiden, Kitana, Reptile could be there, and should be there.]

The 8 generations back was something that I believe was either said in an old game booklet / leaflet or Conquest (for which other game stuff such as Deadly Alliance was also later introduced), but I think that [MENTION=12345]Tarkatan Trash[/MENTION] may know more about that than I do.

As for the new timeline post-Aftermath, I never meant to imply MK1 exactly, but rather
Spoiler:
what would be taking place during that same time if the Great Kung Lao did in fact win.

Hence, perhaps no MK1, but another event to replace it in that time-frame in which the klassic characters that people like could still be alive and existing in.

Nickolaidas said:
MK11's official twitter said they're taking a short break, which means there's more stuff to come later on.

That could also just be referring to more DLC characters and not necessarily more DLC story.
Boon even called the Aftermath story a sort of epilogue and final conclusion to MK11's story in the more recent Game Informer interview.

That could also just be referring to more DLC characters and not necessarily more DLC story.
Boon even called the Aftermath story a sort of epilogue and final conclusion to MK11's story in the more recent Game Informer interview.

Sure it could, no arguments there.

But Boon referred to mk11 base game's story as the end of the story as well.

In the end, Aftermath sales will do the talking.

I just don't think that they will do more story stuff because:
1) story mode takes up too many resources, and it looks like Aftermath was done at the same time as the MK11 main story.
2) Boon specifically used the words "final conclusion" in that interview.
3) Liu Kang's ending opens it up for MK12 (or MK0) to start fresh and do a hard reset, but not necessarily be an MK9 / Trilogy 2.0 all over again.

Am I saying that more story stuff can't come? No, but I think it's more than likely not coming.
Would I love to see more story content? Yes.

My personal guess is that IF anything else comes post-aftermath it'll just be the other datamined characters, though.
I just don't feel as optimistic about more story stuff coming to MK11

The 8 generations back was something that I believe was either said in an old game booklet / leaflet or Conquest (for which other game stuff such as Deadly Alliance was also later introduced), but I think that [MENTION=12345]Tarkatan Trash[/MENTION] may know more about that than I do.[/SPOILER]

That Sub-Zero thing? 8 generations is a pretty good guess, but that actually goes back 5 generations, according to the now defunct MK Mythologies website. Good thing that site is still accessible via web.archive.org, or it would obviously be lost to the sands of time. Of course, I used to remember this by heart, because before Bi-Han and Kuai Liang's names were revealed (and for that matter before Noob Saibot's identity was revealed), I was calling them Sub-Zero V and Sub-Zero VI respectively.

EDIT: Good thing I have a copy of the PS1 version of Mythologies, since I bought a used copy of it at a retro gaming store a few years ago, and it turns out the same text that stated that Bi-Han and Kuai Liang's father was a 4th generation Lin Kuei is in the manual as well (certain details on the website are missing from the manual though, possibly due to space constraints).

c635407d2c33e19a5b91c143a1f09605.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That Sub-Zero thing? 8 generations is a pretty good guess, but that actually goes back 5 generations, according to the now defunct MK Mythologies website. Good thing that site is still accessible via web.archive.org, or it would obviously be lost to the sands of time. Of course, I used to remember this by heart, because before Bi-Han and Kuai Liang's names were revealed (and for that matter before Noob Saibot's identity was revealed), I was calling them Sub-Zero V and Sub-Zero VI respectively.

EDIT: Good thing I have a copy of the PS1 version of Mythologies, since I bought a used copy of it at a retro gaming store a few years ago, and it turns out the same text that stated that Bi-Han and Kuai Liang's father was a 4th generation Lin Kuei is in the manual as well (certain details on the website are missing from the manual though, possibly due to space constraints).

c635407d2c33e19a5b91c143a1f09605.jpg

Good stuff, dude. :)

Yeah, I was a bit off.
Don't know why I thought it was 8 generations, but yeah, 5 generations makes me think it'll be even less likely to have a Sub-Zero THAT far back
Spoiler:
in the time of the Great Kung Lao.
5x25 = only 125 years, and the GKL goes as far back as 500 years prior to the 10th Tournament (MK1).

NRS has retconned some stuff in the past few games, but it seems like the stuff that they've kept in tact, so far (for the most part), is Mythologies.

This is my reasoning for why I think that MK12 or MK0 or whatever it'll be called
Spoiler:
could start at 500 years in the past, then move to the current time to some other event taking the place of MK1.

Which is what I'm thinking will happen now, especially with that Aftermath ending.
Fire god Liu will train Great Kung Lao to defeat Goro and Shang Tsung won't be around.
The Shokan weren't inherently evil until they decided to follow Shao Kahn.

Well, I wouldn't understand this NRS writing if Liu Kang has the power to go back to the beginning of time. The shokans didn't follow Shao Kahn just 500 years ago, they've been following him for 10.000 years+. They've been doing evil all this time. Liu Kang helps people in the last 500 years but nothing before??? Just leaves people to suffer for 9500 years?

I don't cont myself much of a writer, but I did a game with some friends and think I could do better than the writers at NRS. At least for explaining things in a next game which would deal with Fire God Liu Kang re-doing history.

Check it out: https://www.deviantart.com/matserban/art/MK12-story-834036963

Yeah, I was a bit off.
Don't know why I thought it was 8 generations, but yeah, 5 generations makes me think it'll be even less likely to have a Sub-Zero THAT far back
Spoiler:
5x25 = only 125 years, and the GKL goes as far back as 500 years prior to the 10th Tournament (MK1).

NRS has retconned some stuff in the past few games, but it seems like the stuff that they've kept in tact, so far (for the most part), is Mythologies.

This is my reasoning for why I think that MK12 or MK0 or whatever it'll be called
Spoiler:
could start at 500 years in the past, then move to the current time to some other event taking the place of MK1.
Despite my disappointment with the Aftermath expansion, I still like how Fujin
Spoiler:
claimed that he didn't get his ass kicked by Bi-Han, but rather that Bi-Han ran away from the fight.

Of course, I initially hated it as much as
Spoiler:
the retroactive Sindel heel turn, retconning the "True" ending of the original MK11 story, and even turning Kotal Kahn into a much bigger jobber than Glass Joe from Punch-Out)
until the YouTube channel The Fighter's Den (which I highly recommend for fighting game fans, mainly because of the commentary provided) uploaded the following video about that.

Spoiler:

So yes, Bi-Han DID run away like a coward when Fujin did his tornado self-destruct thing.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't understand this NRS writing if Liu Kang has the power to go back to the beginning of time. The shokans didn't follow Shao Kahn just 500 years ago, they've been following him for 10.000 years+. They've been doing evil all this time. Liu Kang helps people in the last 500 years but nothing before??? Just leaves people to suffer for 9500 years?

Nope.
That's not what I was implying at all.
On the contrary, this is what I was implying....
Spoiler:
Since Liu Kang can re-shape history, with Shao Kahn and Shang Tsung wiped from history, the Shokan don't follow him for the other 9,500+ years, either.
Meaning that Shao Kahn wouldn't be the general to the Dragon King, as well.
Thus, they aren't suffering for those 9,500 years prior to GKL.
Hence, the fight with GKL vs Goro would be more of a fair fight, and since Shao Kahn wouldn't have been around for the 9,500 years prior then there wouldn't be the need for a 10th MK Tournament (aka MK1).

Despite my disappointment with the Aftermath expansion, I still like how Fujin
Spoiler:
claimed that he didn't get his ass kicked by Bi-Han, but rather that Bi-Han ran away from the fight.

Of course, I initially hated it as much as
Spoiler:
the retroactive Sindel heel turn, retconning the "True" ending of the original MK11 story, and even turning Kotal Kahn into a much bigger jobber than Glass Joe from Punch-Out)
until the YouTube channel The Fighter's Den (which I highly recommend for fighting game fans, mainly because of the commentary provided) uploaded the following video about that.

Spoiler:

So yes, Bi-Han DID run away like a coward when Fujin did his tornado self-destruct thing.

Nice catch, yeah, I like that they kept those references. :)

Last edited:

Yeah, I was a bit off.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

However, the book says a 4th generation *Lin Kuei*, not a 4th Generation Sub-Zero. This could be some sort of "level", like freemasonry.

Also, there's no mention of how old is their ancestor who makes a cameo in MKX, and apparently he fought for Earthrealm, not like the crooked Lin Kuei before Kuai Liang's leadership.

I imagine he could be the one who returns and was contemporary to GKL, and Cage also had previous generation of champions. During Kung Jin's chapter, we can see GKL, a female warrior, Cage's ancestor, Sub-Zero's ancestor, and then Liu Kang and Kung Lao who were dead. If we ever go back centuries in the past, that could be the very founder of the Lin Kuei.

Last edited:
Nice catch, yeah, I like that they kept those references. :)

I'll have to get back to MK11 sometime...maybe this weekend, because with that exchange between Noob and Fujin in the Story Mode had me curious about their pre-fight banter. I only played it recently to go through the Story Mode, and Final Fantasy VII Remake has been taking up my gaming time lately (though I should point out that Cassie Cage's MK11 voice actress does the voice of Jessie in FF7R; if only Square Enix gave her a surname that didn't sound like a stripper's stage name...)

However, the book says a 4th generation *Lin Kuei*, not a 4th Generation Sub-Zero. This could be some sort of "level", like freemasonry.

Also, there's no mention of how old is their ancestor who makes a cameo in MKX, and apparently he fought for Earthrealm, not like the crooked Lin Kuei before Kuai Liang's leadership.

I imagine he could be the one who returns and was contemporary to GKL, and Cage also had previous generation of champions. During Kung Jin's chapter, we can see GKL, a female warrior, Cage's ancestor, Sub-Zero's ancestor, and then Liu Kang and Kung Lao who were dead. If we ever go back centuries in the past, that could be the very founder of the Lin Kuei.

If I had to guess, I'm willing to bet that female warrior is an ancestor of Sonya (which by extension makes her a Cage ancestor as well)

I'll have to get back to MK11 sometime...maybe this weekend, because with that exchange between Noob and Fujin in the Story Mode had me curious about their pre-fight banter. I only played it recently to go through the Story Mode, and Final Fantasy VII Remake has been taking up my gaming time lately (though I should point out that Cassie Cage's MK11 voice actress does the voice of Jessie in FF7R; if only Square Enix gave her a surname that didn't sound like a stripper's stage name...)

If I had to guess, I'm willing to bet that female warrior is an ancestor of Sonya (which by extension makes her a Cage ancestor as well)

Seems like she's Kenshi's, I was hoping to find this picture again before, but I accidentally found it right now!

Screenshot_2020-06-03 m7yTurVWSsJvlGJJ-DLay0luKfGL2hr2wjx4c40XXZc.jpg

Cage's ancestor seems like a WWI/WWII American soldier. He has, however, older European ancestors. I wonder how Kenshi's ancestor got blind, it can't be Shang Tsung again. Sub-Zero's ancestor looks so badass.

If we consider it was 500 years before MK1, that would be by the end of the XV century. So, Jax's ancestor could be as I said, an African warrior, Cage could absolutely be someone from the nowadays Italian region - would be fun, since a famous person with the Cage (fake) surname is Nicholas Cage -, but could also be anybody from South Europe or Northern Africa, a Japanese Shirai Ryu, that Chinese Lin Kuei, and returning Immortals/Long life span characters.

Actually this sounds extremely enjoyable.

Just a quick hello - hope you guys are all well and have been keeping safe. I haven't been playing MK11 (though I did complete story mode) so I don't post here much these days, but just wanted to show my face.

It specifically said that Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) learned his ability (likely cryomancy) from his father, since cryomancy is not something that they are taught but rather gifts that they are born with.

Again, 5 generations of cryomancers makes it only 125 years that the cryomancers go back, and they'd have to retcon it (which apparently NRS has no issue doing).

Either way, while I wouldn't mind playing as an ancestor of those characters this finicky fanbase would have a shit-fit if the next game didn't have Bi-Han / Kuai as Sub-Zero, Hanzo as Scorpion, Sonya and Johnny Cage.
Hell, as it is, people are had a shit-fit and "Wah'ed" over Cassie and Jacqui being in MKX and MK11, and that's even WITH their parents being on the same rosters.

It specifically said that Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) learned his ability (likely cryomancy) from his father, since cryomancy is not something that they are taught but rather gifts that they are born with.

Again, 5 generations of cryomancers makes it only 125 years that the cryomancers go back, and they'd have to retcon it (which apparently NRS has no issue doing).

Either way, while I wouldn't mind playing as an ancestor of those characters this finicky fanbase would have a shit-fit if the next game didn't have Bi-Han / Kuai as Sub-Zero, Hanzo as Scorpion, Sonya and Johnny Cage.
Hell, as it is, people are had a shit-fit and "Wah'ed" over Cassie and Jacqui being in MKX and MK11, and that's even WITH their parents being on the same rosters.

I hope these people get very disappointed, otherwise we will reduce MK to what SF has been for years in terms of roster: over and over the same crap again.

I think most characters had their ancestry explored and that could have a reason. Even Shang Tsung has a brother. There are several past Nightwolves, Edenians live a lot, other races too. If they go to XV century, these people will get disappointed, and NRS won't even have to abdicate from a new Scorpion.

Yet completely ignored the fact that at least 2 generations of the same family have been in every Tekken game since Day 1.

Yet completely ignored the fact that at least 2 generations of the same family have been in every Tekken game since Day 1.

Agreed.

Aftermath story-wise:

Spoiler:
anyone else think it's possible that Fire God Liu Kang purposely created 2 timelines, to just let Shang Tsung run free in 1 of them?

Yeah, I know it sounds like a crazy notion, but after re-visiting Dishonored 2 (prior to Aftermath releasing), that's exactly what the likely canon for that story is, and I'm wondering if they'd do the same for Aftermath.

In THAT story the villain lived in an alternate timeline, never being the wiser that the true timeline was spared.
I'm wondering if the same would be true for Aftermath.
If Shang Tsung is none-the-wiser that another timeline exists because Liu accounted for it, then perhaps he goes on thinking that he's won, leaving Liu Kang to go on and help the Great Kung Lao.

New leak for DLC

https://twitter.com/msxexehq/status/1269388825798807559

It seems more believable than most leaks. I don't think 11's going to have any more guests, other than possibly Ash if he's still in the pipeline after this. I can't see them going past 4 or 5 guests at max because having 8 guest fighters in total is way too much even for NRS. I also don't see anyone from the base roster from MKX being DLC because NRS seems to be focusing on characters that have not been in a game in a while. Havik, and Lei Mei seems more believable as DLC than Quan Chi and Takeda coming back.