Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

So people aren't allowed to customize their characters in tournament play? Damn that means for any characters who have a lackluster moveset without customization "looking at you Scorpion and Jade" are just stuck with them. Well that's pretty damn disappointing

JUST watched the interview Gameinformer had with ed boon. Pretty cool interview. When asked who the main character of mk11 was he said Liu Kang. Which I kinda figured but I’m glad we have confirmation of Liu being the protagonist this time

JUST watched the interview Gameinformer had with ed boon. Pretty cool interview. When asked who the main character of mk11 was he said Liu Kang. Which I kinda figured but I’m glad we have confirmation of Liu being the protagonist this time

I am glad it is Liu kang again. Cassie being the hero and she defeated Shinnok by herself is total bullshit

I am glad it is Liu kang again. Cassie being the hero and she defeated Shinnok by herself is total bullshit
MK doesn't have a good track record of giving rookies the role of main protagonist. Shouldn't Shujinko and Taven have been proof how well this was going to go over?

Not everyone can be Jin Kazama.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

So no costume variations and Scorpion doesn't have his misery blade in any variation then this will officially make Scorpion the worst character ever made (If the premads variations from the beta will be the same)
Yep... And Scorps' won't be the only character affected -- I've read about Baraka's reliance on certain abilities, as well as others'. If these 'necessities' are already being seen in the beta builds of the game, with only a handful of characters, we can take it to the bank that the full roster will be replete with abilities that chars. have to have in order to, not only remain competitive, but, also to simply be fun to play as.

Frankly, however, for mine (and the vast majority of who play the game and will either make or break its success), it's about the FUN FACTOR: Why bother with a so-called "customisation" system, when it is only THE DEVELOPERS WHO DECIDE what players can 'customise'? That is not in the least what customisation means.

Further, why promise players that they can "play their favourite characters the way THEY want to play them" (-Ed Boon), and then give them only the MKX "variations" that you, yourself cited as shortcomings and the basis for your related new system (likely minus even the 'diversity' of that game's maligned system -- seeing as MK11 hasn't been ground-up built to accommodate x3 "variations"), and some gimped "slot" system in modes where it's utterly redundant...?

Lastly, why go to all the development trouble of accoutring the cast with a large swathe of abilities, only to render most of your work null and void (due to the Draconian restrictions they're corralled by) -- making the very same mistake that you, yourself admitted was made the last time (with Injustice 2) and that you are trying to address with MK11...?

Yeah... nah. None of this makes an ounce of sense... UNLESS, that is, one qualifies it with NRS being caught on the hop, their development behind schedule for an April-23 launch, and in catatonic fear that their apparent "three to four years of development" hasn't factored in the inherent (and blatantly obvious) issues relating to competitive game balance...

Remove "slots" for casual play modes + add filter ("slot restrictions" ON/OFF) => letting players test the balance with the full suite/s of abilities (- forcing them to) => tweak balance for "variations" over time (x quicker than otherwise possible) = implement a better, fleshed-out "slots" system for competitive play.

Do the math.
---

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...fire-questions-with-mortal-kombat-11s-ed-boon
Ed Boon said that Neo from The Matrix won't be in MK11, but almost made it to Injustice 2.
Been calling for a "Neo" skin for Kenshi for years... Can't believe Warner haven't allowed for it. Something like this would, alone, sell many more copies of the game... Ff not allow them to create a Kenshi will amazing 'kinetic' / Matrix-y abilities. Which is to say nothing at all about why a proper Matrix fighting game has never been made :-?

Last edited:
"How many total characters will there be?"

"25 to start 30 something to finish"

Does this mean 25 base roster with 3 unlockable characters? Lol

Oh, man, I'm so happy Liu Kang will shine once again.

Even if someone doesn't like him, Liu Kang is a pillar for MK. I appreciate the story turn from the original timeline, but for that, they had to destroy every bit of Liu Kang, making him an arrogant a-hole, capable of fighting Raiden himself and turning evil. Ok, Johnny and Sonya (specially Cage) became way better than they were when they got their chance to shine, but now it's time for the true champion to return.

MKII Liu Kang returning will make things right. The only bad thing about it is that he isn't the 4th time champion version. Let no one ever forget that Liu Kang's death is always the one thing that takes everything to s#1t.

Also Kombat Kast also had a very subtle mention when they said he was the Chosen One. We do not hear this like in ages!

Who knows if in the end "he must win", right?

[...]

As I said once before, and some of you also got in the same line of thought at the same time, Kronika is higher than an Elder God. Dude, just look at what Cetrion did. Kronika might be the most ridiculously powerful character of all.

[...]

Great Ed said that Earthrealm is not only about Earth, but even the Solar system. I would ask where geographically the other realms are, it seems they might be waaaaaaaaay beyond the boundaries of our universe*.

Edit: I used universe here, but this shouldn't be the best word since Ed said Earthrealm is not all of our universe. I meant to say what we know of reality, Outworld, for example, is way out of it.

Last edited:
Great Ed said that Earthrealm is not only about Earth, but even the Solar system. I would ask where geographically the other realms are, it seems they might be waaaaaaaaay beyond the boundaries of our universe*.

Edit: I used universe here, but this shouldn't be the best word since Ed said Earthrealm is not all of our universe. I meant to say what we know of reality, Outworld, for example, is way out of it.

Well, I think Boon is taking a page out of Star Wars, because in Star Wars, entire star systems are literally named after a single planet contained within them (for example, the Hoth system, the Endor system, the Naboo system, the Alderaan system, and the Mustafar system, just to name a few). I think Boon is effectively calling our solar system the Earthrealm system.

Well, I think Boon is taking a page out of Star Wars, because in Star Wars, entire star systems are literally named after a single planet contained within them (for example, the Hoth system, the Endor system, the Naboo system, the Alderaan system, and the Mustafar system, just to name a few). I think Boon is effectively calling our solar system the Earthrealm system.

That's a good reference, though the solar system isn't the limit of Earthrealm as Ed said, so I wonder until where it's our realm if the limit is not physical.

Vogel once used as reference MARVEL's Thor logic, so the other realms would be aliens to us, I just wonder the distance.

It doesn't seem to be very far from our system, I'd guess.

It's so obvious that the realms are just another dimension in the same geographic space...

That's what everyone imagined, but as I said above, Vogel used MARVEL's logic (planets in different places, all connected), and now Ed comes to say that even outside of the solar system is Earthrealm.

Also, MK9 Nexus showed separate dimensions.

"Do you wanna predict which character will win Evo' this year?"
"Yes... Shao Kahn."

tPyDWVH.gif

---

He definitely meant with DLC. There are no unlockable characters
Glass half-empty: 25 + 3 unlockables + 6 DLC's (+ boss hacked / modded Kronika) = 35
Glass half-empty: 25 + 6 DLC = 31
---

So people aren't allowed to customize their characters in tournament play? Damn that means for any characters who have a lackluster moveset without customization "looking at you Scorpion and Jade" are just stuck with them. Well that's pretty damn disappointing
Hence, why I'm 'petitioning' for casual mode/s to have free, unfettered customisation of all assignable special abilities, except for those which clash directly (overlapping projectiles / teleports) -- with a simple "ON/OFF" toggle for the imposition of the three-slot restriction (the same was present in Injustice 2), in the rare cases where players do not want the fuller compliment of their characters' abilities to be used.

This would allow (i) the majority of players to play the game as WE want (and as Boon promised MK11's system would allow us to), (ii) give people a chance to really nut out what (if any) ability combinations genuinely do 'break' balance (and much more efficiently than the limited time / resources of developers ever could), as well as (iii) leave "competitive" play unaffected and primed for whatever "variation" (or "slot") based changes are made going forward.

Even from a pure "hype" perspective, it would be objectively better for NRS to release the game "unbalanced¹" and still pleasing to fans -- and to then address any issues down the track -- than to disappoint people, right off the bat, and then be behind the eight-ball, playing catch-up like SFV did (read: didn't).

¹ Pure fear-mongering and an utterly ridiculous premise to be predicating such discussions on. Every game is unbalanced in one way or the other -- there wouldn't be such a thing as "counter-picking" if they weren't! To risk the enjoyment of the majority of players, as well as the important initial reception that all media entertainment needs to do well, is internecine and illogical in the extreme...

Last edited:
Liu Kang, the rightful champion. Thank the gods. I'm glad our hero isn't a selfy taking teeny bopper. That was embarrassing as an old school MK fan.