Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Who do you guys think Kotal's enforcers/minions will be in story mode this time around? Obviously it won't be D'Vorah because she betrayed him and was working for Shinnok, and we don't know whether Reptile is coming back. Presumably Ermac isn't.

Any suggestions? What will Kotal's sub-plot be?

Good question.

It's very likely Erron Black will remain one of his mercenaries. So that's a given.

What about Baraka? Now, hold on, I know he fought against Kotal in the Outworld war and throughout MKX but Deception proves he will jump ship. Onaga and Shao Kahn are enemies, and he did that while Shao was alive. On the other hand, what if Baraka is on his own this game. It's just a thought but the fact that he has his own stage is interesting. He waves that Tarkata flag like a leader. Maybe the Tarkata are independent for once.

Then there's Skarlet. I don't remember the graphic novel perfectly but wasn't she against Kotal during the war? I don't know enough on that. Same with Rain.

It's also possible that it's just Kotal, Erron and the Osh Tek. Also, not to mention a possible unannounced new character.

One thing I thought about with the story is that if Shinnok's defeat was the only point in the timeline where Kronika's plans went off course, does that mean it was really Cassie who messed up her plans and not Raiden, sure he did behead Shinnok but at that point his plans were already in shambles, he was beat up and chained to a wall. I guess that's what Geras meant when he said Cassie "defied destiny" maybe not her existence but her actions.

One thing I thought about with the story is that if Shinnok's defeat was the only point in the timeline where Kronika's plans went off course, does that mean it was really Cassie who messed up her plans and not Raiden, sure he did behead Shinnok but at that point his plans were already in shambles, he was beat up and chained to a wall. I guess that's what Geras meant when he said Cassie "defied destiny" maybe not her existence but her actions.

That’s a good point and it makes sense, but I still don’t know why Shinnok was the key in all of this, to begin with?
Wasn’t Shao Kahn the one who stood as the sole victor in Armageddon / the beginning of MK9?
Was it Shinnok’s plans to bring Armageddon about that got ruined, and thus he was they key to it all?

I learned my lesson from MKX to not take most of the intro dialogue to heart.
But I assume Baraka is definitely MK2 Baraka (I mean.. It has to be.) I see him possibly being brought in as a servant to Kronika.

She tells him about his fate in MKX and allows him to get revenge on D'Vorah in exchange for his loyalty.

But then that theory in itself brings up the "Why not bring Mileena back then!?" debate.

Just cause I am old school doesn't mean I want everything to remain the same. I believe in respecting and maintaining the core material, but also improving it and adding new things. If necessary sometimes even going all crazy on changes. But never something that could change the very core. That shit is sacred.

Kronika sounds like someone, that can't see the good in change. She had this original vision, but this pesky Raiden went and changed everything. The fact that Geras considers Kombat Kids existence as a huge anomaly (to the point that it defies the fate), it pretty much makes it clear, that both Geras and Kronika consider original timeline as something sacred. No changes allowed.

Hence her extremism. Instead of trying to compromise with what she has, she is bent on reseting everything. Full wipe. Original or nothing.

But so far, it was never mentioned she wanted the old timeline. On the contrary, it was said from MK1 to MKX she was ok UNTIL Raiden beheaded Shinnok. So I don't think her point is to preserve the unchanged timeline, specially that if we think so far, she allowed Raiden to change everything.

I still suspect she has something to do with his amulet too. I mean, Raiden never had that power. Who knows if Kronika hasn't gifted him eons ago right.

If One Being can influence Shinnok, he can probably influence Kronika too.

It was never mentioned, however, that Shinnok was influenced by the One Being. It was said that individuals that are part of his kollection - like Shao Kahn and Onaga - and have high ambition are influenced by him to reunite the realms and awaken him once again.

Shinnok is of no realm, and is not part of the kollection. Nor the Elder Gods, and I even suspect the gods (no source for this last one so far). I think he would awake the One Being for the sole purpose of vengeance, if his "death to all" isn't something more elaborate (it seems to be, regarding the prologue).

That’s a good point and it makes sense, but I still don’t know why Shinnok was the key in all of this, to begin with?
Wasn’t Shao Kahn the one who stood as the sole victor in Armageddon / the beginning of MK9?
Was it Shinnok’s plans to bring Armageddon about that got ruined, and thus he was they key to it all?

She probably had a point for this. If we consider she was ok with Raiden changing everything but it was Shinnok's head being cut that made her stop her Thanos impression of sitting in a chair, then surely there's something more to i.

His original plan was to bring Armageddon only to get "the prize", but I think he only spread the rumor after the creation of the Forces of Darkness. Before that, it was old fashioned revenge when he invaded Edenia and made a front against the Heavens.

I still think that Shinnok's intentions will be better explained someday. He was totally telling Raiden about it, and this time wasn't that "he wanted to take Earthrealm because he was a bad boy" thing, but he does seems to believe in a reason for the "death to all" motto.

My guess? I think they might reverse the view on Shinnok, much like some works make on Lucifer (abrahamic I mean, not MK Lucifer). I think Shinnok must have a reason way bigger than konquering. Maybe he considers everything that comes from the One Being deserving of death, and the other six Elder Gods were like "no, we must administrate this because of balance", and he went against them. So "Death to all!" would be a little more "justified", much like this Thanos wanna wipe half of life in the universe.

Maybe he was about to do so, until Raiden took him out of the game.

I learned my lesson from MKX to not take most of the intro dialogue to heart.
But I assume Baraka is definitely MK2 Baraka (I mean.. It has to be.) I see him possibly being brought in as a servant to Kronika.

She tells him about his fate in MKX and allows him to get revenge on D'Vorah in exchange for his loyalty.

But then that theory in itself brings up the "Why not bring Mileena back then!?" debate.
The Sub-Zero vs Quan Chi dialogue ended up being proof of the MKX Sub-Zero's identity.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The Sub-Zero vs Quan Chi dialogue ended up being proof of the MKX Sub-Zero's identity.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Some were definitely canon. But I just meant they used a lot of intro dialogue in trailers and such to throw us off and keep us speculating about the story in the lead up to X.

Then we got the story we did... Lol

I also get the impression that they will pay a good tribute to Shaolin Monks once again.

I think Liu Kang and Kung Lao will make some sort of Shaolin Monks short story mode directly from MKII to the present.

Despite the fact several changes in the MK universe that Raiden has made brought a series of more interesting and deep stories, one of the only things I miss is Liu Kang as 4 times Champion of Earthrealm. He was pretty badass, and that's what made his death in MK:DA more horryfing. Also, the character was getting bigger and bigger, defeating Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn TWO times and an Elder God.

I do hope if this is MKII Liu Kang as it seems he can get into the line of becoming awesome again, because there's no Shao Kahn or Shinnok around.

Unless Liu kang turns out to be the hero this time...hmmm...

Johnny Cage needs to save the day again.WHY? Because he's Johnny CAGE!!!The best written Character in the entire franchise..I honestly can't wait to see what all outfits we get with him because that base outfit as horrible last game .

How is the roster MKX 2.0? Some people always find a reason to complain. NRS is revealing a trilogy character: "Oh, this is MK Trilogy 3.0". They reveal some returning characters from MKX: "Oh, it's MKX 2.0". Can't we agree to wait until we've seen the entire roster, in order to complain about it?

How is the roster MKX 2.0?

The fact that the parents seem to be returning with the kombat kids (or some of them), when MKX was clearly set up as a 'passing the torch' moment, and that future games could focus more on the younger generation whilst introducing new characters.

With the focus on Rhonda Rousey as Sonya, Cassie and Jacqui returning (as expected), Johnny being basically confirmed from various leaks, it seems like MK 11 will be a repeat of the Cage family soap opera. Ditto for Kano - and I wouldn't rule out the idea that we might be getting his son on the roster now as well.

I'm worried that we're going to get Mileena announced at some point...

The fact that the parents seem to be returning with the kombat kids (or some of them), when MKX was clearly set up as a 'passing the torch' moment, and that future games could focus more on the younger generation whilst introducing new characters.

With the focus on Rhonda Rousey as Sonya, Cassie and Jacqui returning (as expected), Johnny being basically confirmed from various leaks, it seems like MK 11 will be a repeat of the Cage family soap opera. Ditto for Kano - and I wouldn't rule out the idea that we might be getting his son on the roster now as well.

I'm worried that we're going to get Mileena announced at some point...

I get your point. Fair enough, the Cage family is somehow the MK family right now, but it’s not like all MK kids are coming back. I‘ve always said they were pointless after all, because the torch wasn’t passed with MKX, no, it was given back with MK11 and this whole timeline story. I didn’t expect NRS to go this path with MK11 because I really thought there was a reason for a next generation. In the end of the day they seem to keep Cassie and don’t seem to move forward. They are stucked and I actually can understand why. The reason is our whiny twitter generation and people who want to boycott everything just because of certain characters not being in. In the end of the day MK is a fighting game. Story mode is one-afternoon-entertainment. After playing it it’s just a bunch of characters and most people want to see their favorites inside a new game. And this is also reasonable. It’s not like MK is pretending to become Game of Thrones storywise.

But so far, it was never mentioned she wanted the old timeline. On the contrary, it was said from MK1 to MKX she was ok UNTIL Raiden beheaded Shinnok. So I don't think her point is to preserve the unchanged timeline, specially that if we think so far, she allowed Raiden to change everything.

It was literally said in Behind the Scenes. She wants to reset everything. Like literally everything. "Rewind time back to the beginning and restart it."

Why would she do that, just for Shinnok?

I still don't believe that she is doing all of this just for Shinnok. Shao Kahn is as much a key player as Shinnok. Hell Shao Kahn is actually a better leader too. He actually acknowledges those who are loyal to him and rewards them properly. Shinnok on other hand... gives you one reward. A right to exist. So if Shinnok couldn't lead to Armageddon, then Shao Kahn could. But guess what? He is dead.

And only Shao Kahn and Shinnok could lead to this outcome. so if both are out of the picture, Kronika comes to interfere. Not to mention rewinding time back to the very beginning. So we are talking MK1 all over again. The original one that is. That means no Raiden's future warning or anything.

So yeah. If it was Shao Kahn who was killed after Shinnok, then she would have come for him.

How would you feel if all of this was Reptile's work, and he was the puppetmaster behind Kronika, Shao Kahn, Shinnok and Onaga? He hid in plain sight all along, pretending to simply be a lackey and a jobber, but was in fact expertly inserted into specific plots/scenes, which, in hindsight, now seen obvious. Boon had been paying attention to accusations that Reptile was a mere jobber in too many games, in MK 11 he'll be revealed as the Wizard of Oz of the MK universe.

How would you feel if all of this was Reptile's work, and he was the puppetmaster behind Kronika, Shao Kahn, Shinnok and Onaga? He hid in plain sight all along, pretending to simply be a lackey and a jobber, but was in fact expertly inserted into specific plots/scenes, which, in hindsight, now seen obvious. Boon had been paying attention to accusations that Reptile was a mere jobber in too many games, in MK 11 he'll be revealed as the Wizard of Oz of the MK universe.

Haha that would be awesome. Anyways Reptile would be awesome in mk11 i hope he is back

How is the roster MKX 2.0? Some people always find a reason to complain. NRS is revealing a trilogy character: "Oh, this is MK Trilogy 3.0". They reveal some returning characters from MKX: "Oh, it's MKX 2.0". Can't we agree to wait until we've seen the entire roster, in order to complain about it?

I'm not complaining about it. It just seems to me like a majority of the lineup will be returning. I'm just agreeing that they should shift some slots around for returning or new characters, which they are.

I saw someone point out in a youtube video the other week, that it looked like Kung Lao might of won the first MK tournament in his time line.

Since he was wearing the same MK champion medallion Liu Kang got from Raiden in MK9, for winning the first tournament.