Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Speaking of GTA, when is Rockstar finally going to get smart enough to begin development on GTA 6?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'd say not any time soon. Why would they? GTA5+Online are making them the big bucks with minimum effort on their part. It's the same reason MMOs are not having annual releases disguised as "new" games. CSGO, DOTA2, PUBG, LOL... If it's not broke, don't fix it (as for as money printing goes...the games itself are usually infested with modders/cheaters and are broken, just like GTA Online).

C0ckstar's crown jewel is releasing GTA5 on new gen consoles. They didn't even bother to make an actual trailer for it, just copy+paste old PS3 (!!!) footage and call it a day. They know they can get away with this because the game will sell anyways. God damn ADD Generation :lol:

A good movie or a book doesn't need a sequel to be remembered or have value to it's name. Constant sequels can also lead to shit like Terminator: Dark Fate (so thanks, but no).

Having said that. GTA on other hand is a franchise that tells different stories, at different times. So in this instance I do agree that they should just already announce GTA6, but you tell them that. They are making more money, by milking same game for a decade, than investing millions to make a new one, that also has a risk of failing.

Gaming industry is filled with extremes. Either you have a franchise that takes decades to make a new entry like GTA, or you have franchises like MK that shit out games every 2-3 years and then you get half assed garbage, that is creatively bankrupt.
Well, we should have either one extreme or the other! And since quantity is quality (a FACT proven by simple math), we should go with the sequels extreme.

And since quantity is quality (a FACT proven by simple math), we should go with the sequels extreme.

With the sequels extreme quantity can also cause burn out, if done on a constant basis.

Sorry, but I stopped following the Assassin's Creed series right around AC:Brotherhood because they kept pumping a new one out every other year. No way in hell I was gonna pay $60 every single year and I got franchise fatigued by the 3rd installment, so I'm 9 games behind.
I'm not going to play all 9 of them unless Ubisoft does some super bundle to include them all.

You can't treat every single game series like Madden, and even with Madden it got to a point where it also got stale because all they were doing is adding a new roster and maybe 1 more feature so that they could resell it for $60 the next year.
Shit, at least back in the day when the NCAA games were out you could draft players into Madden.

With the sequels extreme quantity can also cause burn out, if done on a constant basis.

Sorry, but I stopped following the Assassin's Creed series right around AC:Brotherhood because they kept pumping a new one out every other year. No way in hell I was gonna pay $60 every single year and I got franchise fatigued by the 3rd installment, so I'm 9 games behind.
I'm not going to play all 9 of them unless Ubisoft does some super bundle to include them all.

You can't treat every single game series like Madden, and even with Madden it got to a point where it also got stale because all they were doing is adding a new roster and maybe 1 more feature so that they could resell it for $60 the next year.
Shit, at least back in the day when the NCAA games were out you could draft players into Madden.
Better to have burnout than complete stagnation.

Better to have burnout than complete stagnation.

Burnout is what also causes stagnation, genius.

If you keep pumping out new games on annual basis, then you have no time to develop and test new tech and ideas. A lot of assets get reused, players start burning out from seeing same things over and over again and games become creatively bankrupt.

When it comes to development costs. Constant factory work only keeps increasing development costs while dropping the profits. Hence why a lot of companies like NRS, Capcom or EA employ Contractors. Cheap labor force, that gets sacrificed to Overwork Gods and then get thrown out, once they burn out, which also causes people to start seeing Game Dev as a work that isn't worth it. It is an unsustainable short term process and now at the end of this decade we are seeing the results. Franchises dead or burn out, remakes, reboots and asset flips everywhere. Triple A studios don't experiment or try new things and just keep bringing same shit over and over again. This led to the death of Battlefield as well.

Basically what I am saying is that your math f%cking sucks, cause you have no idea how much everything costs and thanks to moronic thinking like that we got shit like Battlefield V, Terminator: Dark Fate, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed that has no Assassins, etc and caused us to buy EARLY ACCESSS GAMES that get finished 2 years later.

Going to any of those 2 extremes is a sign of being a retard and that retard sucking at his management. Like all things, there has to be a balance. A good and profitable game requires time. Not too long, but long enough for new tech to be implemented, for bugs to be fixed and gameplay mechanics ironed out. Only then you will have a long term successful business plan.

Also with nowadays tech, we are reaching the point, where you don't even need to make sequels anymore. You just keep upgrading and adding content to existing title. Soon we will be seeing games, which will devs be able to graphically and mechanically upgrade every 2-3 years.

Also with nowadays tech, we are reaching the point, where you don't even need to make sequels anymore. You just keep upgrading and adding content to existing title. Soon we will be seeing games, which will devs be able to graphically and mechanically upgrade every 2-3 years.

I was thinking that that was the case with MK11, given that they mentioned supporting it for longer and with these more recent Aftermath release dates for the skins, being stretched out until October.
Initially I thought they were done once Aftermath dropped, but they could easily milk the 7~8 characters that people have seemingly wanted in the game as DLC, and make bank.
People have wanted Cyrax, Sektor, Reptile, Mileena, Ermac, Rain, human Smoke, Havik and Reiko.
Now, some of those seem to have de-confirmations of sorts (like Mileena and some of the male ninjas), but I could see maybe a few of those and another possible 2 guests coming in a single pack to round out the rectangle and make lots of the complainers happy.

I was thinking that that was the case with MK11, given that they mentioned supporting it for longer and with these more recent Aftermath release dates for the skins, being stretched out until October.
Initially I thought they were done once Aftermath dropped, but they could easily milk the 7~8 characters that people have seemingly wanted in the game as DLC, and make bank.
People have wanted Cyrax, Sektor, Reptile, Mileena, Ermac, Rain, human Smoke, Havik and Reiko.
Now, some of those seem to have de-confirmations of sorts (like Mileena and some of the male ninjas), but I could see maybe a few of those and another possible 2 guests coming in a single pack to round out the rectangle and make lots of the complainers happy.

Nah. The only way they could do it, is if they made it with UE4 (which is becoming into UE5 pretty soon). Game isn't even designed to act as a platform.

Burnout is what also causes stagnation, genius.

If you keep pumping out new games on annual basis, then you have no time to develop and test new tech and ideas. A lot of assets get reused, players start burning out from seeing same things over and over again and games become creatively bankrupt.

When it comes to development costs. Constant factory work only keeps increasing development costs while dropping the profits. Hence why a lot of companies like NRS, Capcom or EA employ Contractors. Cheap labor force, that gets sacrificed to Overwork Gods and then get thrown out, once they burn out, which also causes people to start seeing Game Dev as a work that isn't worth it. It is an unsustainable short term process and now at the end of this decade we are seeing the results. Franchises dead or burn out, remakes, reboots and asset flips everywhere. Triple A studios don't experiment or try new things and just keep bringing same shit over and over again. This led to the death of Battlefield as well.

Basically what I am saying is that your math f%cking sucks, cause you have no idea how much everything costs and thanks to moronic thinking like that we got shit like Battlefield V, Terminator: Dark Fate, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed that has no Assassins, etc and caused us to buy EARLY ACCESSS GAMES that get finished 2 years later.

Going to any of those 2 extremes is a sign of being a retard and that retard sucking at his management. Like all things, there has to be a balance. A good and profitable game requires time. Not too long, but long enough for new tech to be implemented, for bugs to be fixed and gameplay mechanics ironed out. Only then you will have a long term successful business plan.

The only definition of stagnation is going years and years without a sequel (Street Fighter and Duke Nukem from installments 3 to 4 are prime examples; GTA from 5 to 6 is in that category right now). The exclusive way to keep a franchise going is with sequels released in a timely fashion.

The only definition of stagnation is going years and years without a sequel (Street Fighter and Duke Nukem from installments 3 to 4 are prime examples; GTA from 5 to 6 is in that category right now). The exclusive way to keep a franchise going is with sequels released in a timely fashion.

...GTA5 is about 100 times bigger than MK11 at this point. It's not even an exaggeration. Today's Steam peak for GTA has been 112k players, compared to a puny 3k for MK11 (which by the way, just recently done yet another 60% off sale.). This is disregarding other launchers and platforms, where the difference is bigger. GTA isn't stagnating, MK is stagnating, in every sense of a word. Releasing crappy games "in a timely fashion" for a quick, short term cash grab does that to you.

Duke Nukem is a dead franchise, all because it was stuck in a development hell and then released a crappy game under the leadership of Randy Pitchfork, who also screwed up Aliens. Besides, in the "progressive" CURRENT_YEAR, a game like Duke Nukem would've been nigh impossible to make, and considering your issues with sluts, why even bring it up?

Overall, since this topic is about stagnation, fighting games as a whole have been stagnating for a while. They're miserably small in comparison to other games. A similiar situation is with the Arena FPS genre. Once a giant, now a dying midget.

Last edited:
Nah. The only way they could do it, is if they made it with UE4 (which is becoming into UE5 pretty soon). Game isn't even designed to act as a platform.

Would NRS need to do anything with UE4 if it's just them pumping out more characters as DLC for current gen (PS4, X1, Switch & PC), though?
They could still milk it in that way, my guess.
Do another 2 rounds of 4 characters per KP until early 2021, to round out the roster to an even 42 character rectangle.

Overall, since this topic is about stagnation, fighting games as a whole have been stagnating for a while. They're miserably small in comparison to other games. A similiar situation is with the Arena FPS genre. Once a giant, now a dying midget.

Speaking of stuff that's been stagnant, I wish that stealth games would come back.

Speaking of stuff that's been stagnant, I wish that stealth games would come back.

Yeah, there are a lot of game genres in this situation. RTS is another example. You should check out Metro, game has stealth mixed with FPS and pseudo-Open World. It's damn good, especially Exodus. Stealth isn't exactly Splinter Cell levels, but pretty good.

So basically you just live in your own reality at this point. Gotcha.

Would NRS need to do anything with UE4 if it's just them pumping out more characters as DLC for current gen (PS4, X1, Switch & PC), though?
They could still milk it in that way, my guess.
Do another 2 rounds of 4 characters per KP until early 2021, to round out the roster to an even 42 character rectangle.

DLC characters can keep the interest for only so long. It is a very short term strategy, that doesn't really pay off much in the long run.

If you want the game to thrive, you have to give OPTIONS to the gamers. UE3 engine, no matter how customized it is, is clearly outdated and very limited. It is using outdated compression system (a fighting game that is almost 100GB in size. W.T.F to that), outdated shaders and MK11 being called best looking fighting game, is like saying that you're best runner in the world, while competing in the race by yourself. NRS is the only company that is going for more "realistic" look and for that they use technologically inferior engine, just cause they are comfortable with it. You can't build a new gen gaming platform on that.

To keep people's interest, you would need to bring in new stages, new costumes, new intros, new outros, new game modes. Basically give options to players. If player has an ability to customize his experience, then they will gladly stay there for way longer and will be more keen in investing into the game.

Even so, if the said game were to keep producing content like that, then they would have to be built in that fashion. Look at SFV. It could have been easily one of the best fighting games, if CAPCOM didn't decide to make the game more Casual friendly and get greedy. It had a great core idea. They built the game as a platform, that could allow new different "modules" to be added into the game over time. New game modes, new collectibles, new story expansion, etc.

But just DLC Characters? Ok. You buy the character. Play it for 1-2 weeks and forget the game. Until the next DLC char.

And he speaks about stagnation... Gods... You're the personification of Stagnation. Still stuck living in the past. My condolences.
You mean being a gaming purist? Being a gaming purist is the very personification of awesomeness.