Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Remember me that when you complain about female outfits then, because it's selling better than ever and I'm sure complaining about this - even the hoodies you call burka treatment - won't change a thing.

We might wanna close TRMK even! Why have a discussion Forum, right :wall:

Funny you bring this up because you were one of the puritans who was supporting this incoherent change. And yet when this comes up you're like all "REEEEE I don't want change!". Make up your minds already.

Commercial success dictates both, but people not liking 1 or the other doesn’t make their opinion any less valid.
Both groups (the ones who want more revealing outfits and the ones who don’t want guests) have a vocal minority, as I’ve seen plenty of people who were also excited for the announcement (despite the comstumes) and the reddit was also blowing up everyday with people going “What about __________ as a guest character?”

WB's opinion >>>>>> Everyone's opinion. And once again, you're a minority since people keep buying guest characters by a metric ton. Guest characters are going to be in every game and that's that. Pointless argument.
Guest character fans are not people at all. That includes WB's own executives.

Purists are superior to casuals.

The MK games sell millions of copies so it's not a bad sign at all, it just means people like having guest characters here and there.
Being a Mortal Kombat fan means being a fan of Native Character exclusivity. Buying guest characters is treason against MK. In fact, games with guest characters shouldn't even be canon because of their inclusion

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love Sonya and Johnny Cage. Cassie I'm still not sold on though that split second glimpse got of her looked a lot better in my opinion. But to the point, I would disagree we need all three of them in every game going forward, that's three automatic roster spots being filled on top of other main stays. I'm not complaining about MK11's roster nessarily just pointing out this can't continue every game going forward.

Deception's roster was great. It cut back on a lot of characters. It only had the assential classics but left open a lot of space for forgotten characters and new characters. Now, whether people liked those new characters is a different story. I personally didn't mind any of them and loved a few. This is a good example for a more fresh roster in the future.

Oh, come on.
You very well know that the reason they don’t have Shaggy in there is because they’re not going to let a beloved children’s cartoon character get disfigured and murdered.
It’s the same reason why DC superheroes won’t ever be in an MK game either, because DC isn’t ok with MK characters killing their heroes.
Hence, the watered down MKvsDC finishers.
As for trendy, wasn’t there a Leatherface movie that was released / releasing around the time he came out?
Same for Freddy. Could have sworn that there was either a new movie that had just come out or was coming out for him near the time of his release.

I agree with this but I have to point out one thing I don't. I strongly believe Leatherface dlc was a tribute to the actor who died before he became dlc. The new movie you mention itself wasn't a big commercial success and didn't try to be either. It was for the die hard fans. It was a lower budget independent film. Thinking that would be a trend to bank off this new is wrong. Besides, his game appearance was from the original movie and the 2003 remake. I doubt most people know that new film exists.

(For the record) I happen to be a big fan and it's pretty decent.

That youtuber doesn't know a whole lot about the lore xB

True, but at least he admits it, rather than just trying to bullshit his way through. He says several times that he doesn't know much about certain characters, e.g. Sareena.

Still, 56k people is a reasonable sample size, and it's interesting that Fujin and Rain rate so highly (Noob is obvious).

I have seen people who got into MK because of guest fighters. My friend is a big SF fan and he never cares about MK until Alien, Jason, Leatherface and Predator was added into MKX (He is a big horror movie buff).

I don't get the point of this discussion concerning guest characters. If you don't want them, don't buy them, it's simple as that. Your MK copy will stay "pure"... I didn't like Freddy being in MK9 and I didn't buy him. I've only purchased Rain back then. In MKX I enjoyed playing as Jason, Predator and Alien because they were better fighters than many SF MK characters. At least we had more non-human fighters thanks to the guests.

We discuss a game on a forum. It is definitely not okay to offend people because of their opinion. Some people here do not tolerate anything that is different from their point of view. Why bother to discuss anything with other people then?

I am not a big fan of guest characters but it doesn't bother me if there are a few of them as DLC. We already had Kratos, Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Alien and Predator. Many friends of mine that have never played MK before liked the guest characters and got interested in MK as a whole which isn't a bad thing. The guests come from other gory franchises which is fitting the lore. It's not like NRS is adding Shaggy, Bugs Bunny etc.

I've read things about "liking guest characters" = "not being a real MK fan" which is bs. If you are a MK fan, you'll be happy about MK games being successful. 10 years ago I was afraid I'll never see a MK game again. After Armageddon and MKvsDC everything was coming to an end and if guest characters make MK more popular and successful, I'm fine with it. Because even if I don't like the guest characters they release, I am still able not to buy them.

Oh, come on.
You very well know that the reason they don’t have Shaggy in there is because they’re not going to let a beloved children’s cartoon character get disfigured and murdered.
It’s the same reason why DC superheroes won’t ever be in an MK game either, because DC isn’t ok with MK characters killing their heroes.
Hence, the watered down MKvsDC finishers.
As for trendy, wasn’t there a Leatherface movie that was released / releasing around the time he came out?
Same for Freddy. Could have sworn that there was either a new movie that had just come out or was coming out for him near the time of his release.

MK9 came out a year after the Nightmare on Elm Street remake came out and they pick Freddy for MK9 because it is a iconic horror movie character and free to use from WB. As for Leatherface, they did release a new TCM movie shortly after MKX but Ed Boon pick him as his own personal choice. It seems like guest characters are added if they are icons and have new material coming out to promote.

In MKX, Alien, Predator and Jason had new movies coming out before MKX (The new Friday the 13th movie end up being canceled) and they are major movie icons.

In Injustice 2, Hellboy has a new movie coming out and TMNT has a new show coming out on Nickelodeon (Not to mention to promote their own comics as well). Both are big comic book icons as well.

I don't get the point of this discussion concerning guest characters. If you don't want them, don't buy them, it's simple as that. Your MK copy will stay "pure"... I didn't like Freddy being in MK9 and I didn't buy him. I've only purchased Rain back then. In MKX I enjoyed playing as Jason, Predator and Alien because they were better fighters than many SF MK characters. At least we had more non-human fighters thanks to the guests.

We discuss a game on a forum. It is definitely not okay to offend people because of their opinion. Some people here do not tolerate anything that is different from their point of view. Why bother to discuss anything with other people then?

I am not a big fan of guest characters but it doesn't bother me if there are a few of them as DLC. We already had Kratos, Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Alien and Predator. Many friends of mine that have never played MK before liked the guest characters and got interested in MK as a whole which isn't a bad thing. The guests come from other gory franchises which is fitting the lore. It's not like NRS is adding Shaggy, Bugs Bunny etc.

I've read things about "liking guest characters" = "not being a real MK fan" which is bs. If you are a MK fan, you'll be happy about MK games being successful. 10 years ago I was afraid I'll never see a MK game again. After Armageddon and MKvsDC everything was coming to an end and if guest characters make MK more popular and successful, I'm fine with it. Because even if I don't like the guest characters they release, I am still able not to buy them.

I'm ok with guest characters since they are optional, so as you said, it's absolutely a personal choice.

The whole point, at the least for me, is that the more guests, less MK characters. Would I like guest characters? Nope. Do they make the game more popular? Yes, and it's good thing for sure, it was really disturbing the gap until MK9. But a game like MKX had a Fujin sitting out of the game despite being almost necessary and a Leatherface in. There were four horror characters that had nothing to do with the game itself. It wasn't like Freddie or Kratos that were merely bonuses. So I wonder: what's next? 10 guest characters when we have plenty of characters that could get way better than the poor development they had? So we are going full Terrordrome?

NRS has a limit, but I highly doubt that if a character could be killed in cold blood and it was a popular demand they wouldn't add. Shaggy is a joke, despite being a comedy cartoon character, and he's a good one, but not for MK. Still, I don't doubt if any BS character had enough popularity they would put, and here comes "because sales".

It's nice to see other people that don't know MK buying the game, but I'm sure they will prefer tons of guests instead of MK characters.

But who's offending? This thing about "liking guest characters" = "not being a real MK fan" isn't actually for real, at the least for me. Many people in this forum are die hard MK fans and love guests, I can respect that, I just wish that MK doesn't get twisted into a mess where you can throw anything, that's the point of the argument, nobody here is gonna change WB's mind, still, it's a forum, so the point of discussion is basically discussion itself, clash of opinions etc.

I don't think anybody is taking personally. I hope.

MK9 is a HORRIBLE example, because whether you wanted Kratos is or not, he was there.
I also didn’t buy any guests, and I can’t speak for everyone, but as long as they’re not on the main roster like with MK9 I have LESS of an issue with it.
More guests does mean we have less MK characters as DLC, and with everyone wanting mostly just klassics again for MK11, yeah, it means less chances of other characters being DLC that haven’t been able to shine in a while.

As for liking guest characters = not being an MK fan, that’s where I draw the line and it’s just [MENTION=12345]Tarkatan Trash[/MENTION] being his usual self.

I'm definitely not taking offense.

If I had it my way, I'd have only MK characters. It's just coincidental that the guests were characters I loved, fit the universe and played great. But unfortunately, I can't stop the guests.

I just wish MK dlc characters had more importance to the story. Being dlc is kind of like being demoted unfortunately.

I know, of course I've been missing a lot of characters in MKX. And of course I would have prefered Fujin, Reiko, Noob or other MK characters over the guests. I am not really happy with the MK11 roster so far because so many good MK characters are still missing and I hope that most of them will at least be DLC.

As for the guests, I think we all can assume that they will be DLC. Whether we like it or not. I really hope it's not 3 MK characters and 3 guests in KP1. That would be too much. Just one, somebody like Spawn, would be ok. But my bet is there will be two.

I personally hope Netta isn't added to MK11. I simply don't want to see fatalities performed on her.

If she is in the game, you don't have to kill her. I don't get why is it okay for her to kill opponents with ultra-violence, but not the other way around. I doubt she will be in the first KP1, but she has a decent chance to be in KP2.