Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

New story = new title/sequel. It's worked that way with books, films, and TV shows since the beginning of recorded human history, it's worked with video games during the entire 50 year history of video games, and it's for this reason that the same should continue to apply to video games until the end of time.

Except that in MK11 the Aftermath expansion broke that mold and so have other games that have DLC story campaigns / standalone DLC, and if done right can add a lot to the current series.
Hell, my second favorite game series (Dishonored) did this very thing with a DLC story mode that was pretty much a whole 2nd game (The Knife Of Dunwall & THe Brigmore Witches) and is probably my favorite part of that entire series lore because it further explored an awesome assassin by the name of Daud.
I never understood why is story expansions are seen as a no-no, but yet side stories and spin-offs are more welcomed.
Also, the Flash TV series started as a spin-off from Arrow, and there have also been examples of other TV shows doing spin-offs.
Not every new story = a new title / sequel.

True, but my point was that SFV had support for almost 3 years.
If NRS applies themselves better for MK12 (and there's also no pandemic during that time), they could do a game that lasts for a while and can be updated with Unreal 4, 5 and so on.
I mean, couldn't they essentially do that if they wanted to with the next Injustice game and keep adding characters to the roster if they use the next Unreal engine?

EDIT:
Either way, I think that that's what the Aftermath expansion was testing out, to see if people would be fine with adding story expansions and things like that in the future to their fighting games.

Compared to SF4, SFV was pretty much just a blink in SF history. I would even argue that SF4 was one of the first games, that began introducing the idea of ever expanding platform. Maybe that's why they did that "Open platform" nonsense with SFV.

They saw that people liked SF4 model, so they thought "Hell why not just throw bare bones of SFV, charge 60 bucks and we will add all of the shit later. They will love it!"

In general I dig the idea of the sequels becoming into expansions. We just need a company that doesn't do MORONIC DECISIONS and we will be fine. That entire SJW nonsense is dying out now as well. Wokesters getting fired and businesses are actually focusing on making money, so I have optimistic outlook for near future.

As for Pandemic.

Well they are already talking about Vaccine for November 1st. I mean here in Germany, aside having to wear a mask (which I started to like) we are living pretty much normal lives. I dislike standing too close to anyone anyway, so that social distancing didn't change a thing for me.

Misucra said:
In general I dig the idea of the sequels becoming into expansions. We just need a company that doesn't do MORONIC DECISIONS and we will be fine.

I didn't mean the pandemic, just in general, but yeah I agree with this.
My gut feeling is that Aftermath was a way to see if people would buy into that (expansions) in the future.
If most people skipped out on Aftermath and just bought the 3 characters separately, then maybe that's something that they won't consider next time.
Whereas, maybe if Aftermath (as a whole product) sold really well, then they could consider selling additional story modes and DLC characters in 1 package for future MK titles. Kind of like a KP / story expansion all in 1.

I didn't mean the pandemic, just in general, but yeah I agree with this.
My gut feeling is that Aftermath was a way to see if people would buy into that (expansions) in the future.
If most people skipped out on Aftermath and just bought the 3 characters separately, then maybe that's something that they won't consider next time.
Whereas, maybe if Aftermath (as a whole product) sold really well, then they could consider selling additional story modes and DLC characters in 1 package for future MK titles. Kind of like a KP / story expansion all in 1.

Well they would sell even more, if they hired writers that give a shit and didn't virtue signal.

But yeah. For the future they could do that. Hell, in perfect world I would be fine with them REBOOTING the franchise again and every expansion acting as a sequel. They also wouldn't have any excuse, not to do Konquest mode.

Well they would sell even more, if they hired writers that give a shit and didn't virtue signal.

But yeah. For the future they could do that. Hell, in perfect world I would be fine with them REBOOTING the franchise again and every expansion acting as a sequel. They also wouldn't have any excuse, not to do Konquest mode.

Tobias, Vogel, Forden, and Boon are the only writers that give a shit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Tobias, Vogel, Forden, and Boon are the only writers that give a shit.

Tobias has balls all to do NRS.
Vogel is a "Video Game Designer" at NRS.
Forden writes music, and even then most of the OST wasn't written by him.
Boon only cares about Playboy, $$$ and Twitter.

I mean, MK9 is still the broken Cyrax (invisible bombs), Kabal and Mileena show featuring everyone else, right?

MK9 itself is invisible now since it's banned everywhere (other than PS4 afaik) :rofl:

Last edited:
MK9 itself is invisible now since it's banned everywhere (other than PS4 afaik) :rofl:

Yeah, and support for it had stopped after about 18 months (in mid-to-late 2012), when they continued on doing Injustice 1 for a 2013 release.
That's basically what I was getting at, that it would be nice for NRS to continue to support the games for 2 or 3 years (or a little bit longer).
That was also when they were being over-worked and in a severe crunch to get the stuff done, so who knows?

Yeah, and support for it had stopped after about 18 months (in mid-to-late 2012), when they continued on doing Injustice 1 for a 2013 release.
That's basically what I was getting at, that it would be nice for NRS to continue to support the games for 2 or 3 years (or a little bit longer).
That was also when they were being over-worked and in a severe crunch to get the stuff done, so who knows?
They still have to move onto the next game at some point. Preferably within a number of years that can be counted on one hand.

I know. I even remember how some guys asked Ed to do one last final MK9 patch, and he even hinted that it might be possible. It's more like to address your "invisible Cyrax bombs" line :lol:

MK11 definitely receives more support than the previous games. MK9 had what...A few DLC characters, a few skins, stupid balance patches (e.g. Jade went from mid-tier down the toilet. Damage nerfed, combos gimped. Kenshi flat out 9.5'd her, it was a slaughter. All because the geniuses at NRS didn't program projectiles as projectiles :rofl:).

As for crunch, it's actually a normal practice in game dev. Clueless management with 7 figure salaries, bloated staff that do 0 productivity, crappy pay for developers, no permanent contracts and just overall abuse. You don't like it? There are 10 of you in the line for the same position. Thank Jesus I don't do game dev!....

I think when it comes to NRS and their crunch, nobody would really care but they had to do their Social Justice Crusade, which make them two-faced liars. It's what scummy companies do, companies like Gillette are super woke, and yet employ sweatshops and child labour. Same principle applies here.

I'm still finding myself revisiting MKX more often than 11. Like I want to play 11 so I can get the Kombat League rewards and shit, but then I just think about how insanely fun Triborg and Reptile are and just go in training mode with them for a few hours.

I played MKX for years and there's still characters I want to try out. MK11 I'm still struggling to find a single character I love. This variation system is fcking garbage. Air Dash Kabal is the most fun possible in the game, but you can't use that shit in KL

I'm still finding myself revisiting MKX more often than 11. Like I want to play 11 so I can get the Kombat League rewards and shit, but then I just think about how insanely fun Triborg and Reptile are and just go in training mode with them for a few hours.

I played MKX for years and there's still characters I want to try out. MK11 I'm still struggling to find a single character I love. This variation system is fcking garbage. Air Dash Kabal is the most fun possible in the game, but you can't use that shit in KL

I feel yah. My only problem with MKX was all of the technical issues. Once I finally got to enjoy a game to the fullest (with online patch)
I actually loved it. If anything. The darker tone in visuals was my most favorite thing. Not to mention, while a lot of people didn't like 50/50 rushed down gameplay and variation system, it did spawn some crazy players like Ninja Killa. His Liu Kang was a spectacle to watch. And hell. My Sub Zero felt good and Tanya became my main (and then turns out she was the most broken character in MK history)

MK11... I had to enter a state of Nirvana, just to judge the game on its own. Just as you, found no character that interested me (well except Fujin, but I am not paying NRS for that. Paid enough as it is.), so just played only Frost.

I have a tradition to finish Krypt 100%. Did it for every MK game. MK11 as well. But while MKX Krypt left me with a satisfied feeling of finishing a quest, MK11 Krypt made me physically ill. Which is not surprising. 625 fatalities... just to unlock 3 rooms. Last room being the most insulting as most of the chests in it, gave me only Shao Kahn stuff (which is a paid DLC as you all know). So yeah. Fun.

Variation system is just a joke in there. They give an illusion of choice, but then you can't even use your setup in KL.

Personally, I think MK should have went with darker tone, but eh. Now they are stuck with rainbows.

My main issue with MK11 is that the main story mode went straight to trash with the Goro retcon (as 1 example), along with shit retcons for characters like Skarlet, Kabal and Sindel.
Sindel is the worst offender of them all with super woke shit, only for her to want / need "a strong man by her side."
Why the fck go through all that shit to make her independent, only to make her come off as dependent in the Aftermath story?
Either way, Sindel and Shao Kahn got what they deserved for being written so shitty in MK11. Both got fcked over by Shang Tsung and I'm 100% fine with that.
Now they'll probably retcon shit and start all over again with GKL winning. Yay, MK9 2.0!!
As much as I had hoped Kittelsen being involved would be a good thing (because I really enjoyed the MKX comics), nope.
They need to bring Vogel back onto the writing team for story mode and / or hire a different writer (now that I think Kittelsen is no longer writing for them).

As for gameplay, between MKX and MK11 I find myself having more fun with MK11 than I ever did with MKX, and this coming from someone who doesn't play online.
I had 729 hours poured into the game as of January of this year (according to that PSN most played hours thing), and I've probably racked up another 450 hours into it by now.
Characters that I never gave 2 shits about before like Shang Tsung and Sheeva I find myself enjoying immensely and they did such an awesome job with making my boi Fujin such a fun character to play as.
Part of me is happy that he wasn't playable in MKX and is now playable in MK11 with more kustomization options.

Last edited:
I can't rock with it. I'm a lab monster through and through. I love sitting in training mode for hours just figuring shit out, but MK11 is as bare bones as it gets. Its embarrassing how many bnbs are just string into special

I can't rock with it. I'm a lab monster through and through. I love sitting in training mode for hours just figuring shit out, but MK11 is as bare bones as it gets. Its embarrassing how many bnbs are just string into special

It took me 1 month to master Juri in Street Fighter V, 2 weeks for Tanya in MKX, 2 months for Eliza in Tekken 7. But it took me just 3 days and smashing my head against keyboard to learn Frost in MK11. Her second variation and pretty much just 2 strings is what is needed to dominate most of the people in KL. That shield/projectile combo was the worst nightmare for all zoners.

I still like the idea of Ashrah somehow being manipulated or possessed by Kronika. Infact, her Kriss (Datusha) can be Kronika's remains or spirit giving her the Titan's abilities/powers as well as corrupting Ashrah to do evil deeds to create that "new era".

In the future, Cetrion should return even if it means possessing Li Mei.

Ed Boon has been teasing stuff on Twitter and posted a trailer for Nightmare on Elm Street as a hint (Freddy is not coming back). I do think it is Smoke because Elm is named of a tree and you do fight Smoke in the forest level in MK2.

Last edited:
Ed Boon has been teasing stuff on Twitter and posted a trailer for Nightmare on Elm Street as a hint (Freddy is not coming back). I do think it is Smoke because Elm is named of a tree and you do fight Smoke in the forest level in MK2.

This makes more sense to me than people saying Rain or some of the other characters, as much as I still personally think that Shang Tsung de-confirms the other 4 male ninjas.
I don't give 2 shits for 4chan or their shitty community, but maaaaaaaaaaaybe this also has to do with the "leak" (and I use that world lightly) about the Living Forest Krypt expansion and having Smoke as the one to guide you through it?