Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Fighting games not named smash bros don't sell consoles so I don't see how owning more than one fighting game developer will make any real difference. KI didn't sell xbox one's that game didn't get any real traction until it released on PC. Hell even Phill spencer himself didn't seem to care when one of the biggest fighting franchises of all time Street Fighter went to PlayStation and PC so I don't think it's crazy to say he doesn't care about MK ether. No one except a very small few buys a console for just fighting games. MK12 isn't going to sell anymore xbox's than whatever 2k wwe trash gets released. The casual market can't tell the difference
MK is a game people buy after already owning a console and they're bored of the game they bought the console for.and want something new to play.

As far as a new Batman from rocksteady is concerned, We only got one game this whole generation Arkham Knight which released five years ago. From the rumours that are out there it has nothing to do with Arkham universe. I don't see how that's not hype especially going up against Sonys new spiderman. Microsoft having Batman and Sony with spiderman would definitely shake things up. Something xbox desperately needs to push thier gamepass services.

Ok. How about we get back from personal assumptions to reality?

"Fighting games not named Smash Bros don't sell consoles" So basically a non popular game won't sell a console? Aha. Totally didn't know that. Good thing that we are talking here about MORTAL KOMBAT. You know the game far more popular and widely known than Smash? Best selling Playstation 4 title of 2019?

KI didn't sell Xbox... once again. No shit, it didn't sell. How many people know it? You're comparing low tier games to globally known franchises...

Hell even Phill spencer himself didn't seem to care when one of the biggest fighting franchises of all time Street Fighter went to PlayStation and PC so I don't think it's crazy to say he doesn't care about MK ether.

Two things.

1. Please tell me more about what he cares and doesn't care. Add likes and dislikes if you can too. I am interested.
2. Phil Spencer is the same person who was selling TV FEATURES ON XBOX. His opinion matters the least. Xbox is doing so poorly cause of his dumba$$ decisions to begin with. Political pandering and focusing on anything, but games.

Microsoft isn't as desperate with their Game Pass as well. They have 10 mil subscribers. It is nicely paying off for them.

From the rumours that are out there it has nothing to do with Arkham universe. I don't see how that's not hype especially going up against Sonys new spiderman.

Why it shouldn't be hype? Well for starters.

it has nothing to do with Arkham universe.

So? It is Batman. Arkham series or not. It is Batman. The character who has been washed on every possible media format for the past 10 years. Most animated movies with him, 20+ different comic series, Video game franchise. Literally overshadowed Superman in every possible way. Everyone and their mom knows who he is. So unless it takes place in Batman Beyond, it is... SAME SHIT, DIFFERENT TITLE. Also business wise Batman would be INFERIOR to MK12.

Batman is a SP game while MK12 would be a multiplayer game. If you put Batman on Game Pass, people will play the game and then unsub. Done. One month subscription at best. MK12 on other hand is a live service game with content updates. It is a game that would be perfect to encourage continuous subscription. One of the successful Gamepass titles is Sea of Thieves. With the explosion in popularity and its monthly content updates, Microsoft got their investment back. From dead game, became into a financial success that is now sold on multiple platforms.

So in what world Batman SINGLE PLAYER IP would be more profitable over a franchise known all over the world, which can offer continuous content updates for years? Which could ensure that people would pay money on MONTHLY BASIS???

And MK doesn't sell consoles? F%CKING PLEASE. I was on the frontlines during MKX launch day. We had PS4 bundles in Saturn and Gamespot that sold PS4 with MKX. They were flying off the shelves. Some people bought PS4, just cause Saturn ran out of the MKX physical solo copies. But yeah sure. It is a game you buy, when you're bored.

The only thing that you're right is that casuals can't tell the difference. They look out for the shiniest things. And while MK is a game in a niche genre, the name itself is ANYTHING, but niche. Hence why casuals buy this game with the same ferocity as Gollum humps his "Precious" ring. So yeah. Microsoft would win more with MK IP, than with Batman, who would sell like cupcakes for only couple of months.

Last edited:
Fighting games not named smash bros don't sell consoles so I don't see how owning more than one fighting game developer will make any real difference.

I bought an XB1 just for Killer Instinct. MKX being revealed is what finally got me to buy a 8th gen console.

I bought an XB1 just for Killer Instinct. MKX being revealed is what finally got me to buy a 8th gen console.

Here we go. Even better.

Franchises like Mortal Kombat sell consoles easy. The hype is just too big not to sell. So if KI can make people want to buy a console, then MK sure as hell will.

Here we go. Even better.

Franchises like Mortal Kombat sell consoles easy. The hype is just too big not to sell. So if KI can make people want to buy a console, then MK sure as hell will.

We are part of a niche crowd. Microsoft only care about the casual market Yes casuals buy MK but don't specifically buy a console just for MK itself. Normally what happens is they play the story. Get online just to get their asses handed to them so they get bored and play something else. Rinse and repeat. Yes plenty of people just play single player but after beating the story and running around in the cyrpt for a hour it gets pretty boring. No one except hardcore mk fans wants to grind this game so they drop it. We live in a ADD generation that wants everything right now. MK Isn't one of those games.

Last edited:
We are part of a niche crowd. Microsoft only care about the casual market Yes casuals buy MK but don't specifically buy a console just for MK itself.

Reality says other things. I can't speak for MK11, cause I wasn't sitting there trying to get physical copy on time, but I do remember MKX. People bought PS4 just for it. It had record sales numbers. People bought those freaking PS4 bundles with MKX.

Once again. MK is part of niche genre, but its name is anything, but niche. Out of all fighting games, it is the most recognized game in the world. People do buy consoles just for MK. You're somehow seriously downplaying, on just how popular MK is. Hell evem SFV sold PS4 consoles as well.

I think you're just trying to apply your personal preferences here. But reality is simple. I can hate MK11 as much as I want, but I can't deny that even with that major f#ck up of theirs, they still managed to sell a bank. They are just that popular.

Microsoft cares about making money, just like any other company. Having the most recognized fighting game in your inventory is a no brainer. Especially if you have a service where you can charge people monthly.

We are part of a niche crowd. Microsoft only care about the casual market Yes casuals buy MK but don't specifically buy a console just for MK itself. Normally what happens is they play the story. Get online just to get their asses handed to them so they get bored and play something else. Rinse and repeat. Yes plenty of people just play single player but after beating the story and running around in the cyrpt for a hour it gets pretty boring. No one except hardcore mk fans wants to grind this game so they drop it. We live in a ADD generation that wants everything right now. MK Isn't one of those games.

This forum was raving about how MK11 was selling so well, but now it's apparently a niche?

Every sort of criticism was shut down by NuMK fans that "the game sold so well, SHUT UP!!!". What happened?

99% who bought MK11 were casuals. Casuals are the target audience. Casuals mass buying the biggest hype and dropping it in few days is exactly what happened with MK11... Or most games ever known to man.

We live in a ADD generation that wants everything right now.

Making fun of people with disorders....Not really progressive!

Normally what happens is they play the story. Get online just to get their asses handed to them so they get bored and play something else. Rinse and repeat. Yes plenty of people just play single player but after beating the story and running around in the cyrpt for a hour it gets pretty boring. No one except hardcore mk fans wants to grind this game so they drop it. We live in a ADD generation that wants everything right now. MK Isn't one of those games.

Oh please. "Only hardcore MK Fans will grind the game." I played MK11. I saw what they added there. The hardcore grind element is only in the ranked. Everything else is a luck based, tower grind gameplay. All of the mindless addicting casual fun.

Also ADD generation... lol. Nah. This generation is the same as the previous one. The same weakness. Addiction. And that's exactly what MK11 uses. Systems and visuals that promote addiction to the game. All of those shiny lootbox animations. MK is literally made for casuals.

Reality says other things. I can't speak for MK11, cause I wasn't sitting there trying to get physical copy on time, but I do remember MKX. People bought PS4 just for it. It had record sales numbers. People bought those freaking PS4 bundles with MKX.

Once again. MK is part of niche genre, but its name is anything, but niche. Out of all fighting games, it is the most recognized game in the world. People do buy consoles just for MK. You're somehow seriously downplaying, on just how popular MK is. Hell evem SFV sold PS4 consoles as well.

I think you're just trying to apply your personal preferences here. But reality is simple. I can hate MK11 as much as I want, but I can't deny that even with that major f#ck up of theirs, they still managed to sell a bank. They are just that popular.

Microsoft cares about making money, just like any other company. Having the most recognized fighting game in your inventory is a no brainer. Especially if you have a service where you can charge people monthly.
Those people you claim bought ps4 just for MKX where most likely already MK fans to begin. Casual gamers aren't those people. I'd argue most of MKX's sells where from people who already owned ps4's and picked up MKX to go along with their GTA or destiny bundle. I remember when MKX first released at gamestop. I don't recall seeing any ps4 MKX bundles available or even advertised there. I obviously can't say the same for every gamestop but one place selling MK bundles doesn't represent all places. You make me laugh mentioning SF5 . A game that released WITH NO SINGLE PLAYER content and was slamed by the media for it. Microsoft want a ip that can sell xbox's like spiderman, last of us, uncharted did for ps4. MK is not that.

Last edited:
Those people you claim bought ps4 just for MKX where most likely already MK fans to begin. Casual gamers aren't those people. I'd argue most of MKX's sells where from people who already owned ps4's and picked up MKX to go along with their GTA or destiny bundle. I remember when MKX first released at gamestop. I don't recall seeing any ps4 MKX bundles available or even advertised there. I obviously can't say the same for every gamestop but one place selling MK bundles doesn't represent all places. You make me laugh mentioning SF5 . A game that released WITH NO SINGLE PLAYER content and was slamed by the media for it. Microsoft want a ip that can sell xbox's like spiderman, last of us, uncharted did for ps4. MK is not that.

Man. Must be nice using "what ifs" for your arguments. "Most likely, that person didn't have interest, probably." Gods, life would be so much easier if I could use my feelings for facts. Or just pick straws.

How about you start reading properly what we write? You make gaming audience into some sort of high functioning community where people research things before buying stuff. If that was the case, then people wouldn't pre-order so often. But the reality is that a majority of gamers buy into a hype. They are blind consumers who want the next hot shit.

Casuals buy MK cause they know what it is. They don't go for online grind there. They go for fatalities, for characters, for story and extras. People spend hundreds just so they could look at finishers or join the hype train. If if you have one or two friends buying the game, then you wanna join them. If game gets hyped up and shown everywhere then people buy into it. It is called Capitalism. People buy shit they don't need.

In Germany it is normal to bundle a brand new game with a console. And everyone was getting MKX. How would i know that? Well before Game stop closed shops, there were 3 Gamestop shops and 2 media markets. I would have to go through all of them on my way through city. All were full of people and almost all empty of MKX copies during launch day. So yeah. Not to mention MKX had one of the if not the biggest sales numbers in 2015. It even shat on GTA5 PC port which was HIGHLY anticipated. It beat the freaking GTA5 in sales. But sure. JUST MK FANS BUY IT! Aha.

I am not even gonna mention the local community buzz during that time. MK is one of the most valuable franchises you can own.

Also while you were laughing about SF5, you missed the point I was making. People were so blind in hype that they bought freaking consoles for SFV. Only to be given bare bones. You know... like pretty much every other hyped up triple A game?

Hell they could have sold way more copies with MK11, if they just kept their mouths shut.

Kids on GTAO are splurging millions on Shark Cards... and yet we have people here finding it hard to believe that buying a console for an exclusive game is just FARRRR OUUTTTTT...... At the same time, plenty of people got Xbone and PS4 for MKX, GTA and etc. That only happened like 5 years ago but y'knowwww.... :stupido3:

I don't find it hard to believe that others will do that.
I'm just speaking for myself.
Got my PS4 in 2014, prior to MKX coming out and my reason for buying the PS4 wasn't JUST for MKX.
With the exception of a few other games, most of my gaming library from the last 10+ years has been due to titles that I initially started playing on PS1 or PS2, and I've just gravitated towards PS3, PS4, etc, etc, etc...
Some of those included the Metal Gear Solid series, the Resident Evil series, the early 2000s WWE SvR games, MK Trilogy & MK4 (to name a few examples).
With all of my gaming stuff being on PS4 and the PS5 being BC with PS4 games, if MS bought out NRS, the only game I'd want to play on that console would be MK, and (again) the last time that I bought a console for just 1 game I really ended up regretting it.

EDIT:
KI has always been a console exclusive. Prior to being Xbox exclusive, it was Nintendo exclusive.

Yes, and I didn't care for MS buying out Double Helix and making it exclusive...yet again.

Last edited:
Welp, judging by that xbox showcase event this past week. I don't think it's crazy to say that MK is NOT going to be exclusive to xbox/PC any time soon. If they were going to make such a bold move, they would have at the very least announced that NRS are part of the xbox family doing their biggest event.

Last edited:
Man. Must be nice using "what ifs" for your arguments. "Most likely, that person didn't have interest, probably." Gods, life would be so much easier if I could use my feelings for facts. Or just pick straws.

But...Thats exactly what you're doing. You're argument is ''well MKX bundles sold gangbusters here in Germany so that must be true everywhere else in the world.'' Wha? By your logic I'm from the USA and from MY own personal observation NO one was selling MKX ps4 bundles anywhere so that means no one bought a ps4 for MKX. Welp time to pack it up MK is doomed!

Last edited:
Welp, judging by that xbox showcase event this past week. I don't think it's crazy to say that MK is NOT going to be exclusive to xbox/PC any time soon. If they were going to make such a bold move, they would have at the very least announced that NRS are part of the xbox family doing their biggest event.

The deal is just being talked about right now lol. It'll take a while before anything is actually concrete

But...Thats exactly what you're doing. You're argument is ''well MKX bundles sold gangbusters here in Germany so that must be true everywhere else in the world.'' Wha? By your logic I'm from the USA and from MY own personal observation NO one was selling MKX ps4 bundles anywhere so that means no one bought a ps4 for MKX. Welp time to pack it up MK is doomed!

tenor.gif

Just stop.

First.

You're argument

Your*

Second. Please read entire F%CKING MESSAGE.

I clearly stated, that Mortal Kombat X, a fighting game, has managed to outsell a highly anticipated GTA5 Next gen release. A game that earned billions. Mortal Kombat X has put GRAND THEFT AUTO 5 in a SECOND PLACE. That's OVERALL sales. Meaning on GLOBAL SCALE.

Grand Theft Auto 5 has been released in Japan, South Korea, Germany, etc, WHILE Mortal Kombat x has been entirely or partially banned in those countries. And it still managed to top the sales of April.

So no. I don't use WHAT IFS. I USE THE F%CKING DATA and LOGIC. I RESEARCH. Don't lump me together with your f%cking assumptions. I don't know if you got the memo, but I was one of those hyper active MKX fanboys, when the game got announced. Hell, I clearly remember showing the sales numbers to my friends, who laughed at me, when I said that MKX will outsell even GTA5.

So once again, stating that Mortal Kombat doesn't sell consoles is F%cking RETARDED. You're trying to use "Well I ate today, hence there is no world hunger." logic on me.

And just for the record. I used Germany as an example, not only cause I live there. There is also another reason... Mortal Kombat franchise is PARTIALLY BANNED THERE, YOU BLOODY GENIUS. Which means (prohibiting any sort of advertising and public exposure). AND IT STILL MANAGED TO SELL. So imagine a country like US that was dropping commercials like crazy. Check who was the top seller of April 2015 and the FASTEST SELLING GAME IN THE WHOLE FRANCHISE with 5 millions copies sold. Go on.

As much as I hate MK11 and the direction they took, I can't deny one simple fact. Mortal Kombat is the most famous fighting game in the world. It sold consoles before and it will sell consoles in the future. And once NRS will stop projecting "SJW" propaganda, they will easily make a new entry that will beat MKX records.

Business deals take months. The article I dropped, just stated that Microsoft has the biggest interest in acquiring NRS. Once Microsoft or any other company secures the deal, we will know about it immediately. So they can't show something, if they don't own anything yet.

I clearly stated, that Mortal Kombat X, a fighting game, has managed to outsell a highly anticipated GTA5 Next gen release. A game that earned billions. Mortal Kombat X has put GRAND THEFT AUTO 5 in a SECOND PLACE. That's OVERALL sales. Meaning on GLOBAL SCALE.

Indeed it did. A trip down the memory lane:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mortal-kombat-x-gta-5-top-april-2015-game-sales-ch/1100-6427352/

NPD is once again USA only and how they get their data is a mystery, without sourcing any hard numbers or anything. Take it as you will.

Now to be fair, GTA in the end is still crushing everyone (including MK11). C0ckstar may be trash in so many things, but they're also swimming in money thanks to GTA5. I don't recall a single chart where GTA wasn't on it even to this day. ADD Generation at its best :rofl:

Speaking of GTA, when is Rockstar finally going to get smart enough to begin development on GTA 6?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Excuse me... what? Smart enough?

Homie. They are swimming in money from GTA Online. Why do you think they keep bringing GTA5 to new consoles? They keep adding heist missions with minimal expenses and get millions in return, thanks to Shark cards. They will only start working on GTA6 seriously, once the flow of money slows down. But that's not happening any time soon.

They will be bringing new massive content to GTA Online this Fall. So yeah. GTA6 will sit in the back for some time.

Excuse me... what? Smart enough?

Homie. They are swimming in money from GTA Online. Why do you think they keep bringing GTA5 to new consoles? They keep adding heist missions with minimal expenses and get millions in return, thanks to Shark cards. They will only start working on GTA6 seriously, once the flow of money slows down. But that's not happening any time soon.

They will be bringing new massive content to GTA Online this Fall. So yeah. GTA6 will sit in the back for some time.
Books and movies both keep franchises going with sequels. The same principle applies to video games. Sitting on the same installment for 7-8 years (like Rockstar is doing with GTA5) is tantamount to stagnation.

Books and movies both keep franchises going with sequels. The same principle applies to video games. Sitting on the same installment for 7-8 years (like Rockstar is doing with GTA5) is tantamount to stagnation.

A good movie or a book doesn't need a sequel to be remembered or have value to it's name. Constant sequels can also lead to shit like Terminator: Dark Fate (so thanks, but no).

Having said that. GTA on other hand is a franchise that tells different stories, at different times. So in this instance I do agree that they should just already announce GTA6, but you tell them that. They are making more money, by milking same game for a decade, than investing millions to make a new one, that also has a risk of failing.

Gaming industry is filled with extremes. Either you have a franchise that takes decades to make a new entry like GTA, or you have franchises like MK that shit out games every 2-3 years and then you get half assed garbage, that is creatively bankrupt.