Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Both Overwatch sold millions and was game of the year in 2016. It had free weekend 6-months after release. 40 million player in the span of two years. For Honor also had free weekends later the same year it was released. It's been six months for MK11 so that's not necessarily a surprise. Not to mention, SFV didn't have free weekends until 2 years later and ended up doing so badly that they had to break and make an updated edition. So free weekend means nothing.

As for as to the free trial being consoles only, that happens with nearly all titles that have free trial weekends. Steam and consoles typically have seperate free trial weekends. Switch never had a free trial as far as I'm aware of.

No. It can mean a lot of things.

First of all different companies have different reasons for doing free weekends. Also different genres have different rules. MKX and Injustice 2 had free weekends due low population. Injustice 2 almost instantly died on PC while MKX was a ghost town thanks to issues. Free weekends were used to boost the numbers. (Numbers jumped back once they fixed online issues and after the failure that Injustice 2 was, people jumped back into MKX)

SFV was a mess as devs (just like DOA6 devs) were jumping from one audience to another. First they tried appeasing the hardcore only and released half baked game, just to make in time for CAPCOM Cup and EVO. That didn't work with casual crowd as there was barely any content. Then they tried to appeal to SJW with censorship and immediately stopped after immense backlash. Then they started using outfits to drag people in. That didn't work as people didn't want to throw cash like crazy. So after everything failed, they decided to do Free weekend.

You know what game didn't have Free weekend? MK9. First game to get free weekend was Injustice 1 (as it came way later on PC and numbers were low af, once again. What a surprise.)

In short. I am just pointing out their rinse and repeat cycle. But again I am just assuming here. I am not spitting facts. But this looks same as before.

Also got banned today from MK Discord for asking about PC.

No curses, and simple polite question about updates for performances issues and free weekend for PC.

My message got removed almost instantly and I was kicked out. So yeah. PC is a taboo word now. You bought PC version? You can eat shit. Thanks for the money, suckas!

P.S MK11 being fighting game of the year.... wow. The standards dropped.

Your initial point was about how successful the game was tho. Free weekend doesn't mean the game wasn't successful, it's actually a really smart strategy.

Player retention doesn't mean anything for a game like MK. Every fighting game has dropoff after the first few months. Mortal Kombat has a massive casual appeal. Tons of players buy it for story, a couple of towers and a handful of online fights. So after they die off the dropoff seems massive compared to the others.

The game is doing just fine

Your initial point was about how successful the game was tho. Free weekend doesn't mean the game wasn't successful, it's actually a really smart strategy.

Player retention doesn't mean anything for a game like MK. Every fighting game has dropoff after the first few months. Mortal Kombat has a massive casual appeal. Tons of players buy it for story, a couple of towers and a handful of online fights. So after they die off the dropoff seems massive compared to the others.

I don't think anyone is disputing MK11's popularity but I do find it kind of convenient that as soon as Terminator drops WB follows up with the free weekend stuff. I know im tin foil hatting here but it something to consider.

Usually free weekend means the game isn't doing good. If people would be buying non-stop there would be no point in it. From the numbers I've seen the game is underperforming, which explains this.

The biggest red flag is that there's no PC free weekend. Switch I can understand, but here they know it's bad so they don't even bother. Kinda the same stunt they did with KP2 in MKX: one badly spelled Tweet and that's it, no KP2 for you!

By the way, whoever programmed this forum software is a genius. I love how when you edit a post on mobile, it just deletes it automatically. Brilliant.

Some tech I found with Terminator. Ex Shotgun lets you jail into his 4. 4 is the only button where Running Grab will connect both on block and on hit. You can't jump, crouch, block or poke out. You might be able to Flawless Block u3 tho.

Then we're on the same page. You said MKX had more people ask about characters like Reiko and Havik, I'm saying the same thing. The smallest cameos or exposure can push any character into fan demand. Nobody but the hardest of MK fans know who Belokk is, but that could change overnight in any number of ways.

I'm just saying that I don't think they'll go with obscure DLC characters unless they have a big demand for them, like Tremor did.
Tremor had a 5,000+ signature petition made for him.
Having Tasia, No Face, Belokk, or Zebron being a DLC character would mean a colossal failure as far as DLC sales go (at this point in time), because there is no huge following / demand / requests for those characters.
It's the same reason why the obscure characters that sometimes people request for DLC would also be a bad idea.
Some people would buy those characters, but most people wouldn't know who they are.

Those lesser known characters (IMO), much like most of the 3D era characters, would better be saved for the main roster than as DLC, as klassic characters would probably sell better.
I mean, look at KP1 - Sindel, Nightwolf and Shang Tsung - all playable in either MKII or MK3.
People will buy those as DLC because they sell like hotcakes.

For some unknown reason Fujin has had a huge following since MK9, but I don't feel as confident about him selling well.
I'm FREAKING ELATED that he'll finally be playable again (wish he was on the main roster but I'll take what I can get), but will he reach the DLC sales numbers of Shang Tsung, Nightwolf and Sindel?
I'm not so sure.

"Massive casual appeal" Lost 35/1 of it's player base in less than 6 months. Casuals buy it for the name, but they don't stay long, as there is barely anything in there to keep them. "Towers of Time" are universally called "Waste of Time". I am not even going to talk about the Krypt, that is a lootbox paradise.

Once again. No need to state the obvious. Everyone here knows how games work. After certain period of time majority of people always leave the game.

What I am pointing out are the numbers and the time it took to lose those numbers. Those are not normal. They are very drastic. Especially compared to other games and their numbers. Especially games like Tekken 7, that have almost no casual appeal, but manage to have healthier numbers.

"it's actually a really smart strategy."

Ahaha. No. Business wise there is no good reason for you to do a free weekend, if you are having a successful run. Free weekend is a sign of "good will". Or in desperate times, it is a strategy to boost your numbers, as people don't want to invest in your product.

First of all. If you give free weekends, people will be less inclined to buy your game. They can always wait for another free weekend. If you don't do them and game is selling like hot potatoes, then those people will be more inclined to buy it, as they will want to join their friends or just jump into the hype train. But if you give them the possibility of having multiple options to access the game, then why bother?

Same like XBOX Game pass. The idea behind that, is to increase the sales and profits, but why should I buy new a new Gears game, if I can just play it for one dollar?

Overall MK11 is having the most difficulty keeping it's popularity. And excuse me if I will be skeptical about your "The game is doing just fine"

If you have official events almost empty and if you have lowest viewership you're a complete opposite of success.
To be fair though. Youtube with it's censorship is also getting in the way of MK, as videos either get demonitized or pushed down in the searches.

But again. All of this is my speculation based on observations and numbers. At the end of the day, I just poked fun at MK11 giving Free weekend exclusively to platforms that have no issues, while ignoring PC/Switch community completely and even silencing people that mention that. But hey. The so called "Fighting game of the year"

Terminator has been pretty good. It took me a while to get used to him, but I do like his gameplay at a lot. So far my favorite DLC fighters have been Shang Tsung>Terminator>Night Wolf.

What about Tremor?

Nobody knew who he was, but his design was sick enough that people liked him. I feel like the same would happen for someone like Belokk

Or the same with Nimbus (MK1) and Emerald (MK2). Though I can Cetrion being Emerald instead.

In fact, what of Emerald is Jade's mom? It was confirmed that the woman in Jade's MK9 ending is her mother. She'd be a lovely character and would make sense to have her named after a green stone just ike her daughter. :)

While I share your sentiment of not wanting more guests, it (unfortunately) seems like we get more and more guests with each game, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being:

Sheeva
Fujin
Ash
MK character

If it's anything like the scenario that you mentioned, though, then I'd seriously consider buying KP2.
It would be the first time that I buy a season pass / KP for an MK game in this current series of MK games.

Sheeva better be done right this time! I can see her having Goro's and Kintaro's moves.

That one MK character better be Li Mei, Sareena, Kira (needs revamp), Nitara (needs a revamp), Mileena, Ashrah (needs to major revamp) or Khameleon (needs a revamp with reptilian moves)! Any of these characters can also take Tanya's Cannon Drill and Split Kick (or Sindel can too). I'd love to put Tanya in this list but unfortunately, I doubt NRS will repeat DLC.

We already have the hideous D'Vorah. We don't need another hideous character.

Regarding cyborgs, it'd be brilliant if any or some of the characters get skins of Cyrax, Sektor, Cyber Smoke, and Cyber Sub-Zero. I can see that happening to Frost, Skarlet, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero.

If Kronika will not be playable, characters such as Cetrion and Geras should have her skin.

Last edited:
Sheeva better be done right this time! I can see her having Goro's and Kintaro's moves.

That one MK character better be Li Mei, Sareena, Kira (needs revamp), Nitara (needs a revamp), Mileena, Ashrah (needs to major revamp) or Khameleon (needs a revamp with reptilian moves)! Any of these characters can also take Tanya's Cannon Drill and Split Kick (or Sindel can too). I'd love to put Tanya in this list but unfortunately, I doubt NRS will repeat DLC.

We already have the hideous D'Vorah. We don't need another hideous character.

They've done a great job with Shang Tsung and Nightwolf, imo, so I actually can't wait to see what they do with Fujin, Sindel and Sheeva.
I can see them giving Sheeva a mix of her MK9 and MK3 / UMK3 moves with some new added ones for the kustom variation.

As for the 3rd MK character I'd prefer to see a post-MK3 / PS2 / 3D era character so that it isn't just Frost and Fujin on there.

For any other MK characters KP2 will have, I would expect Sareena or Havik since pretty much everyone else has an assist. And Havik's one of the characters that hasn't been playable since the reboot that's had a lot of requests.

For any other MK characters KP2 will have, I would expect Sareena or Havik since pretty much everyone else has an assist. And Havik's one of the characters that hasn't been playable since the reboot that's had a lot of requests.

Sareena was on an old leak which got a lot of things right, so she has her chances - she was also shown in the MKX story mode.

Havik had his assist removed at the last minute like they did with Enchantress in Injustice 2, so he has the best chances out of all non-leaked characters.

They've done a great job with Shang Tsung and Nightwolf, imo, so I actually can't wait to see what they do with Fujin, Sindel and Sheeva.
I can see them giving Sheeva a mix of her MK9 and MK3 / UMK3 moves with some new added ones for the kustom variation.

As for the 3rd MK character I'd prefer to see a post-MK3 / PS2 / 3D era character so that it isn't just Frost and Fujin on there.

Then Li Mei or Sareena it is hopefully. I think Sareena is a better choice since she hasn't been playable in any MK game except MKA.

Either of the 2 can borrow moves and weapons from other characters that will most likely not make it in MK11. I can see any of these characters perfoming Tanya's Cannon Drill and Split Kick.

Maybe there's a chance that Sheeva might actually steal Tanya's Kobu Jutsu too or have her own arm blades (tonfa blades).

Sareena was on an old leak which got a lot of things right, so she has her chances - she was also shown in the MKX story mode.

Havik had his assist removed at the last minute like they did with Enchantress in Injustice 2, so he has the best chances out of all non-leaked characters.

I agree with both of these characters also having good chances, but I worry that KP2 will just be like KP1 again:
3 guests and 3 from MK.
Trust me, I'd LOVE it if it was just 2 guests in KP2 and more of those MK characters, but I'm still skeptical about that.

Firefox_Screenshot_2019-10-16T03-22-42.055Z.png

Boon confirms MK11 is the end of Mortal Kombat's storyline.
They're about to reboot the series again lmao

Yup, the way that MK11 ended made that pretty obvious, anyways.

Spoiler:
Can't write worth a shit, no problem. Let's just have Kronika hit the reset button and reboot the franchise....... yet again.

Wonder if we're gonna get MK9 2, or if they're gonna continue this universe where Liu Kang is the God of Earth and there's other changes.

View attachment 9931

Boon confirms MK11 is the end of Mortal Kombat's storyline.
They're about to reboot the series again lmao

Could he be referring to Kombat Pack 2? I would hardly call that a big surprise, everyone and their mothers know it's coming.

2020 *is* the year next-gen consoles appear. Perhaps a PS5/X-Box Next edition with some extra goodies?

A story DLC?

Some additional mode which will knock everyone's socks off?

A remake of the first MK ala Super Street Fighter II Turbo Remix?

He could be exaggerating … we'll see.

Could he be referring to Kombat Pack 2? I would hardly call that a big surprise, everyone and their mothers know it's coming.

2020 *is* the year next-gen consoles appear. Perhaps a PS5/X-Box Next edition with some extra goodies?

A story DLC?

Some additional mode which will knock everyone's socks off?

A remake of the first MK ala Super Street Fighter II Turbo Remix?

He could be exaggerating … we'll see.

Or HD collection of Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon