Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

The variation system should have died after mkx. Imagine picking a character in (insert any fighting game other than mk here) only to discover half their moves are locked to a certain variation. It baffles my mind that NRS are still pushing this agenda and before someone starts in with the custom variation crap Please Stop!. IMO just give us complete characters with larger move sets and nerf or buff them as needed. We're not playing a Rpg we're playing a fighting game.

Amen to that. And the worst part, they ADVERTISED that you can make your own variation. But then at the last minute "ah yeah. No. We meant only custom ones. Not tournament ones."

Tobe honest this particular variation system could have worked, if they didn't restrict tournament versions. Fights would be definitely interesting to watch as everyone would bring in their style.

I also agree 100% that the variation system should have died with MKX.

That said, I also can try to see the other side of the coin and see why Tournament variations are the way that they are, with just being limited to 3 variations.
I'm not a Pro fighter, but for those that are, I could imagine that it would be hard as hell to tell what kustom variation someone else is using in a Tournament and be able to defend against it, or even in online ranked.

I mean, I could troll a Shang Tsung variation and call it "the 4 ninja bros" (for example) and it has 0 of the ninja moves in it.

I also agree 100% that the variation system should have died with MKX.

That said, I also can try to see the other side of the coin and see why Tournament variations are the way that they are, with just being limited to 3 variations.
I'm not a Pro fighter, but for those that are, I could imagine that it would be hard as hell to tell what kustom variation someone else is using in a Tournament and be able to defend against it, or even in online ranked.

I mean, I could troll a Shang Tsung variation and call it "the 4 ninja bros" (for example) and it has 0 of the ninja moves in it.

Why would it hard? Both share the same monitor. So both guys would see what another person is putting in. Not to mention by the time people would find their builds (because you can't just throw random stuff in and hope for the best), others would already know how to deal with them.

Besides, the person who suggested Mai Shiranui as a guest character is the same person who suggested Juliet Starling.

Wrap your brain around THAT for a moment!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Variations should've been done the same way fighting styles worked in Deception. They also switched in real time 12 years ago. Wwwwooaaahhhhhhhh

The Arnie rip-off voiceover for Terminator is laughably bad. Me and my friend watched the gameplay trailer on discord and both laughed at just how shit "get over here" is. It looks bland and it sounds cheap. Nasty.

The Arnie rip-off voiceover for Terminator is laughably bad. Me and my friend watched the gameplay trailer on discord and both laughed at just how shit "get over here" is. It looks bland and it sounds cheap. Nasty.

All of his lines were shit. At least gave me a reason to laugh like this:

Why would it hard? Both share the same monitor. So both guys would see what another person is putting in. Not to mention by the time people would find their builds (because you can't just throw random stuff in and hope for the best), others would already know how to deal with them.

Wouldn't all of that just take more time to do in an actual Tourney setting, though, to go through the kustom menu every time?
As for the Kustom variation with the name trolling, I was talking more about online / ranked modes.
There's no way to tell what you opponent has in an online mode if they allowed kustom variations for ranked, no?
Either way, I'm in agreement that variations should be gone and I'd rather have it being more like it was in MK9.

Wouldn't all of that just take more time to do in an actual Tourney setting, though, to go through the kustom menu every time?
As for the Kustom variation with the name trolling, I was talking more about online / ranked modes.
There's no way to tell what you opponent has in an online mode if they allowed kustom variations for ranked, no?
Either way, I'm in agreement that variations should be gone and I'd rather have it being more like it was in MK9.

It'd be easy to fix that with a drop down menu on the char select screen. Look at MvC2 and how long it takes pro players to choose 3 characters and 3 assists.

And in Ranked it shows you what moves your opponent is using on the loading screen.

I still don't think the long wait is that bad. It gives people to come back and play the game again when new content is added. Even Smash Bros Ultimate and Dragon Ball Fighterz had similar long waits for their DLC and people still play them.

I think the problem is that by the time Spawn comes out, it'll be nearly a year since the game was released. And many people will have likely sold or traded the game by then and moved on to others. Another problem maybe is that if also do this with KP2, it'll be 2021 when that finally has all if it's characters released.

For KP2, I think they'd be better off either releasing two characters every other month instead of just one.

To be honest they should just put the old variation system from Mortal Kombat Deception days and built from that. That was innovative. Cause what they did here in MK11 is just a pure mess.

Deception fight styles was a mess and a needless barrier. I'd rather Scorpion be able to swing his sword at any time than to have to manually swap

Deception fight styles was a mess and a needless barrier. I'd rather Scorpion be able to swing his sword at any time than to have to manually swap

Was it perfect in Deception? No. But was it a good start? Yes. That is precisely what fighting games need. To have more options when fighting. Being able to switch styles during the combat motivates the growth. You can add to it. Instead of breaking the character in 2/3 or 4 pieces, which makes no fookin sense. MK11 variation is a mess. Games like Deception actually tried to be creative. Now you have games like Guilty Gear removing advanced combos. Cause hey. Fighting games are known to have long and prosperous future, by taking away options from players.

And I don't see a problem with manually switching styles. That actually makes you think. It makes you plan. Should I do it now or not? Cause if I switch now, the guy might use this opportunity to attack me, or maybe he will counter it? Maybe I should save the switch for the combo? It gives fookin options. It adds layers to the fighting. Instead of the garbage what we have now.

Look. If I were to remove my nostalgia glasses. Was DA or Deception masterpieces when it came to fighting mechanics? Fook no. Controls were clunky af. Yeah, it wasn't that good. But it was the START of something NEW and BIG. It was the foundations for innovation.

If now I was given an option. MK12 was coming out and they said. You have two choices. MKD fighting system or MK11/MKX fighting system. I would pick MKD any day. I would rather deal with clunky controls and stiff movements, than watching same shit over and over again, because you only have two viable moves.

That and I miss 3D. That was a way forward.

Characters changing fighting styles during the match was around way before MK deadly alliance and deception. Virtua fighter and Tekken had characters that did this years before MK even went 3d. The problem is NRS thinks that everyone is 12 or under and need our hand held to understand anything.That's why we have the variation system.

Last edited:
Characters changing fighting styles during the match was around way before MK deadly alliance and deception. Virtua fighter and Tekken had characters that did this years before MK even went 3d. The problem is NRS thinks that everyone is 12 or under and need our hand held to understand anything.That's why we have the variation system.

That ain't just a problem with NRS. Lately a lot of games, have been nerfing difficulty. Especially Fighting games. MK, SF and I heard even Guilty Gear has removed advanced combos in their upcoming sequel. Dumbing down the game, for people that will leave the game in 6 months, while hardcore gamers will be left with hand holding shit. And they are surprised why games have short life span, nowadays.

That ain't just a problem with NRS. Lately a lot of games, have been nerfing difficulty. Especially Fighting games. MK, SF and I heard even Guilty Gear has removed advanced combos in their upcoming sequel. Dumbing down the game, for people that will leave the game in 6 months, while hardcore gamers will be left with hand holding shit. And they are surprised why games have short life span, nowadays.

Nobody has even played the new Guilty Gear yet. Accessibility isn't a problem, it's lowering the skill ceiling that's the issue. Everybody was worried about DBFZ's auto combos, but when you actually play the game you see just how insane you can make your own combos.

Nobody has even played the new Guilty Gear yet. Accessibility isn't a problem, it's lowering the skill ceiling that's the issue. Everybody was worried about DBFZ's auto combos, but when you actually play the game you see just how insane you can make your own combos.

That's exactly what I meant. I wasn't talking about accessibility. I am talking about not only lowering the skill ceiling, but also removing options for people, just so casuals wouldn't whine about how they can't compete in ranked matches with 2 hours of play time and random button mashing.

Yeah, sure. Nobody played the upcoming Guilty Gear, but we have a history of devs removing shit and it never ending up well. They are free at breaking the tradition. They do that, and I will buy their game full price myself as an apology for doubting them.

I think the problem is that by the time Spawn comes out, it'll be nearly a year since the game was released. And many people will have likely sold or traded the game by then and moved on to others. Another problem maybe is that if also do this with KP2, it'll be 2021 when that finally has all if it's characters released.

For KP2, I think they'd be better off either releasing two characters every other month instead of just one.

I really don't see why they can't do an MKX / XL type of KP2 where they release all 6 characters about 2 or 3 months after Spawn comes out.
End of May / end of June for KP2 could be very possible and it doesn't have to all be out by 2021.

Even with the whole crackdown on crunch time as NRS, an even further July time frame for a Komplete / KP2 / XL edition is also pretty doable / reasonable, imo.

EDIT:

I still don't think the long wait is that bad. It gives people to come back and play the game again when new content is added. Even Smash Bros Ultimate and Dragon Ball Fighterz had similar long waits for their DLC and people still play them.

I don't think it's that long, either, especially considering the pattern of release time with MKX / XL and Injustice 2.
A spring time release for a komplete / XL / KP2 edition for MK11 sounds about right.

Last edited:
Yeah, so? One of Mai Shiranui abilities is Hammer space. She takes out multiple different weapons.

Kitana's main weapon is fans and fans alone. Her entire fighting style is based on that. Mai Shiranui uses multiple weapons and her fighting style is based around her fire abilities. Basically, it's back to that argument of characters having similar abilities/weapons. Just because 2 or more characters have similar weapons/abilities, doesn't mean they can't coexist and have different fighting styles.

But then they wouldn't be guest characters, if you put random nobodies.

I think you're thinking of Malin another KOF character who has access to the Hammer Space. Mai strictly only uses her fan in battle along with other ninja techniques. Although it would never happen but if Mai was ever playable in Mortal Kombat it wouldn't hurt Kitana at all. The two women uses their fans in a complete different manner and can co exist if they were ever in the same fighting game