Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

So I decided to look at Sindel's leaked bio. The writing for this game get's more suspect by the day. I wrote this story back in 2016 with Sindel also being a traitor (though the idea was around before then as seen in my stories Compromise near the end and Redemption also near the end). She has never had that type of personality prior to this game and the retcon is very irresponsible and makes me fear the cannon of every MK afterwards especially with the multiple timeline gimmick that makes every game, TV show, Movie, comic, and ending canon.
And does anyone remember when I clearly said story writing for MK should be based on Seniority? You know, prioritizing people who were there in the 90s over those who were only there after WB's buyout? THIS is why. And those of you who ridiculed my suggestion as "a senile Gen-Xer still living in the 90s" can see for yourselves that the mere suggestion that Sindel sold out the Realm of Edenia to Shao Kahn is EXACTLY why! If that leak is true, then the entire game should be non-canon because of this single disregard for a backstory that has been established canon for nearly a quarter of a century. If she did betray her people (and most of all, her own original husband), then why did she commit suicide in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

And this is why you do not, under any circumstances, ruin backstories that were firmly established in the KLASSIC MK games. She was brainwashed by Quan Chi postmortem; anything to the contrary is completely non-canon, end of story. In fact, making Sindel a traitor is the absolute worst tampering of the established canon since MKSM.

And people wonder why I prefer clones of MK1, MK2, and UMK3 over modern MK? Bullshit like this is Exhibit B!

Not all changes from the current timeline are bad. Revenant concepts of Kitana, Liu Kang, and others were good ideas. At least they were unwillingly evil or were just conflicted characters because of Raiden's poor decisions.

I'm still okay with the fact Raiden made poor decisions because for the love of his people and not for selfish reasons.

Sindel on the other hand was supposed to be a good queen to all her people and loving mother to Kitana before her death. But her character of this timeline is basically a direct rip-off of Tanya for being a traitor JUST FOR HER OWN SELFISH NEEDS. Now if she has any other reason to be evil (while alive), it shouldn't be because to keep her royal status. It should be a reason to protect her people from getting hurt. Like if Shao Kahn was going to kill Kitana or anyone else she loved, Sindel would volunteer to join Shao Kahn but to spare her loved ones. That is the only way I'd be okay for a queen to be evil (well not necessarily evil but still working for evil) before her death.

I'm just glad Jade is not a willingly evil person.

Peasant characters like Tanya, Kira, Frost, Skarlet, Rain, and etc can willingly be evil and be traitors for selfish reasons.

I hope that when Nitara is revamped as a character, I hope she will have better morals and will make decisions based on her vampire people she cares about rather than for selfish reasons.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, didn't she specifically commit suicide on Earthrealm soil specifically to help keep Shao Kahn OFF that realm in the current timeline? Gee, I wonder what they're gonna change THAT to if they stick with the Sindel Iscariot...err, I mean Benedict Sindel angle they're going with!

Last edited:
And does anyone remember when I clearly said story writing for MK should be based on Seniority? You know, prioritizing people who were there in the 90s over those who were only there after WB's buyout? THIS is why. And those of you who ridiculed my suggestion as "a senile Gen-Xer still living in the 90s" can see for yourselves that the mere suggestion that Sindel sold out the Realm of Edenia to Shao Kahn is EXACTLY why! If that leak is true, then the entire game should be non-canon because of this single disregard for a backstory that has been established canon for nearly a quarter of a century. If she did betray her people (and most of all, her own original husband), then why did she commit suicide in the first place?

I'm one of you who hold the 90's nostalgia to the heart but isn't this new trilogy all about altered timelines? In the story mode it shows multiple timelines with Liu Kang and Raiden in multiple scenerios. This makes Shaolin Monks canon and this makes everything we thought were inconsistencies canon.

Again, I love the original series too and everything about the story, but I feel this point shouldn't be ignored. Raiden sending messages back in time through Kronika's deception changed everything. And that's just 1 timeline.

I dropped MK11 this week and sold it to my roommate. I hoped that I would vibe with this MK but after two months I was over it

Interesting. What made you do that? Jacqui's in the game - why haven't you mained her and enjoyed the game? :(

I'm surprised at my own level of disinterest; I'd anticipated on at least watching story mode through on YT, but I haven't even done that yet. Maybe it's just yet another thing I've grown out of as I've got older, I dunno.

Interesting. What made you do that? Jacqui's in the game - why haven't you mained her and enjoyed the game? :(

I'm surprised at my own level of disinterest; I'd anticipated on at least watching story mode through on YT, but I haven't even done that yet. Maybe it's just yet another thing I've grown out of as I've got older, I dunno.

I just don't like the game the way I had hoped despite Jacqui and Cassie's presence. The characters I wanted to main feel too off and difficult for my liking and Kano and Kung Lao got boring after awhile. Online is even worst than it was in MK11, Krypt felt repetitive, and I'm still pissed about the time reset. My roommate bought it off me so it's his game now to do as he pleases. I also feel that Mortal Kombat just isn't the series I once enjoyed

You know it would make sense, if they properly established timeline thing, but right now they are just throwing everything in and claiming "alternate timelines".

But here is the thing. Both intros and story clearly stated that all of the timelines remained pretty much the same. There were no massive changes. For example: Shang Tsung/ Geras intro mentions that Shang Tsung has betrayed Kronika in every single timeline. Or Raiden and Liu Kang fought in every single timeline. So pretty much key events never changed.

Geras ending also mentioned that, this entire timeline thing was like going in circles every time. Nothing changed.

So... how come Sindel suddenly decided to turn traitor in one of those timelines? This is a pretty major event, which affects main events quite a lot.

But again, those guys said it themselves. They write the story on the go. They don't check for anything. I mean they changed Skarlet's background in the same trilogy. From blood construct to orphan girl with ambition.

To be honest, they could have gotten this timeline thing pretty easy, but I guess they were too busy ruining contractor's day to concentrate on quality check.

Overall story mode is a mess with numerous inconsistencies, so my bet is that they hope that people won't pay much attention to altered backstories.

You know it would make sense, if they properly established timeline thing, but right now they are just throwing everything in and claiming "alternate timelines".

But here is the thing. Both intros and story clearly stated that all of the timelines remained pretty much the same. There were no massive changes. For example: Shang Tsung/ Geras intro mentions that Shang Tsung has betrayed Kronika in every single timeline. Or Raiden and Liu Kang fought in every single timeline. So pretty much key events never changed.

Geras ending also mentioned that, this entire timeline thing was like going in circles every time. Nothing changed.

So... how come Sindel suddenly decided to turn traitor in one of those timelines? This is a pretty major event, which affects main events quite a lot.

But again, those guys said it themselves. They write the story on the go. They don't check for anything. I mean they changed Skarlet's background in the same trilogy. From blood construct to orphan girl with ambition.

To be honest, they could have gotten this timeline thing pretty easy, but I guess they were too busy ruining contractor's day to concentrate on quality check.

Overall story mode is a mess with numerous inconsistencies, so my bet is that they hope that people won't pay much attention to altered backstories.
This is exactly why I want people who worked on MK in the 90s writing the story. They know more about the story than people like Shawn Kittelsen, who were only there in this console generation, for obvious reasons.

This is exactly why I want people who worked on MK in the 90s writing the story. They know more about the story than people like Shawn Kittelsen, who were only there in this console generation, for obvious reasons.

Well, to be honest. 90s story writing wasn't anything special either. But at least guys were consistent and story connected. You would get hints/mentions and then in the sequel those things would emerge. Those that didn't follow deeply the lore, would be pleasantly surprised, while others would be rewarded with seeing their predictions come to life. Like Onaga or One Being.

MK11 on other hand... cheezus the mess. After rewatching story mode multiple times (can't criticize something if you haven't done research, after all) I was left scratching my head and trying to understand WTF happened.

Yeah, you could tell that whoever was writing the story didn't pay attention to anything. Timelines or no timelines. Inconsistencies are like gaping holes. No follow ups, no build ups, relationships popping out of nowhere, massive events skipped like nothing, decision making that makes no sense and power levels that... and people say DBZ was inconsistent with power levels. Kittelsen did a great job on comics, though. So it is kinda hard for me to imagine him doing a crappy job here. If I remember correctly, Kittelsen was just one of the writers, too. So it is very likely that someone else drove this potentially good story into a shitstorm. Also including politics in the game development is also not helping.

I can bet right here, right now. It is the stagnation. A lot of my guys and myself had that feeling with games for the past decade.

But if you really look back. Like really back.

2004-2009 are considered the Gold Gaming Era. It wasn't because that games were good. But it felt like innovation was coming with every new title. For example:

Half life 2 blew people away with it's physics engine back then. Or Crysis 1. The game that even by TODAY'S standards looks amazing. The game was used as graphics cards benchmark for years. Hell Mortal Kombat Deception came out during that time. Game modes all over the place. They had everything. Fighting, Tetris, Chess Kombat and even freaking Karts. Loaded with content. You could tell that devs were experimenting and pushing the boundaries.

Now tell me the difference between MKX and MK11. Cut down all the little stuff and just look at basic stuff. Fighting. It is 2019. No innovation. They made combat slower for more tactical gameplay. Ok. Oh and they gave two different bars. 2019 standards, people.

Once all the bling bling goes away, you see that it is same shit, just different color.

10 years back, you had a number of completely different modes. Now you get Towers of Time, which are literally "Test Your Luck" with bells and whatever else they have attached. Same goes for Story Mode. I legit surprised how many of my friends that got MK11, didn't even touch Story.

Turns out BANG BANG trailers and brainless action isn't as interesting.

It is kinda sad, now that I think about it. Can't pick up more than half of the franchises I liked in the past. Not because I "grown them out". But they are boring. Same shit. Over and over and over. Just different title or colors. Lately I found myself approaching more and more Indie titles. They might not look as pretty as some AAA games, but at least have meat on them. Something to chew on.

Currently a Liu Kang main. I've always liked him, but MK11 made me love him. I bought a $300 arcade stick just to make his instant air fireballs easier. I fukking hate bf motions on pad

I'm one of you who hold the 90's nostalgia to the heart but isn't this new trilogy all about altered timelines? In the story mode it shows multiple timelines with Liu Kang and Raiden in multiple scenerios. This makes Shaolin Monks canon and this makes everything we thought were inconsistencies canon.

Again, I love the original series too and everything about the story, but I feel this point shouldn't be ignored. Raiden sending messages back in time through Kronika's deception changed everything. And that's just 1 timeline.

Agreed 100%.
For as much as the 90's stories were good, they weren't perfect, either.

I've seen quite a few people (or reddit and other places) complaining about how Kotal Kahn was tortured and "in the background of the Trilogy events all along" as revealed during MK11, per Stephanie in the Kombat Kast, but yet they have no problem hypocritically accepting Quan Chi being inserted into the Sub-Zero / Scorpion MK1 feud post-UMK3.

I don't like Sindel's backstory being retconned, but at the same time, this is the same game series that will bring people back from the dead from 1 game to another with little to no explanation, and Bio's aren't always canon, either way.
Let's not pretend like Sindel's not gonna get a human skin in MK11, despite her being a revenant when we last saw her in MKX.

Let's not pretend like Sindel's not gonna get a human skin in MK11, despite her being a revenant when we last saw her in MKX.

I've no idea why I've just thought of this, but I wonder if Sindel's bush has the same stripes/colours as her hair. :bike:

Agreed 100%.
For as much as the 90's stories were good, they weren't perfect, either.

I've seen quite a few people (or reddit and other places) complaining about how Kotal Kahn was tortured and "in the background of the Trilogy events all along" as revealed during MK11, per Stephanie in the Kombat Kast, but yet they have no problem hypocritically accepting Quan Chi being inserted into the Sub-Zero / Scorpion MK1 feud post-UMK3.

I don't like Sindel's backstory being retconned, but at the same time, this is the same game series that will bring people back from the dead from 1 game to another with little to no explanation, and Bio's aren't always canon, either way.

Well, to be fair, Quan Chi was literally introduced on DOTR the same year MK Trilogy was released on consoles, and was literally involved in the Scorpion/Bi-Han feud upon his game debut.

And come to think of it, wasn't Classic Sub-Zero non-canon in UMK3?

Well, to be fair, Quan Chi was literally introduced on DOTR the same year MK Trilogy was released on consoles, and was literally involved in the Scorpion/Bi-Han feud upon his game debut.

And come to think of it, wasn't Classic Sub-Zero non-canon in UMK3?

Yeah, and both Trilogy and DOTR (in 1996) took place after UMK3 (1995), which means that they added him after to the Scorpion and Sub-Zero feud.

As for Classic Sub-Zero, yeah I agree, and I don't think that he was canon in UMK3, either.
They tried to pass him off as Bi-Han in his bio and ending, but as we learned later in Noob Smoke's Deception ending, Bi-Han was Noob Saibot after being killed by Scorpion (from MKII and onwards).
UMK3 Sub-Zero was probably just more of an MK1 / MKII fan service character, much like how DLC Shang Tsung is fan service in MK11 (since the Krypt is non-canon).
UMK3 Classic Sub-Zero had the Freeze, Slide and Ground Freeze (MK1 and MKII moves) and his Fatality was a parody of the MK1 Fatality and poking fun at the ESRB censorship.

Actually, Classic Sub-Zero had a Kuai Liang bio in MKT. Straight from the PS1 manual for MKT.

d8dbd48d513f4bb2fddaf19d7e52d694.jpg

Don't want to quote any long post but it bugs the hell out of me that Skarlet went from being a homunculus to an orphan in the same timeline. Also while I like the relationship on a personal level. The Jade/Kotal romance does feels odd. Furthermore Cetrion's role in MK11 was an utter disappointment

I understand everyone's frustration but I will say this: I dig the different take on a few characters but the one I'm most excited for is Sindel.

The idea of her doing a heel turn is really cool to me. I can't wait to see her arcade ending and see all of the intros she has with Shao Kahn.