Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Finished the story mode last night, and while it being a time travel-related story glaringly points out why it also has some flaws, one of my biggest issues was that
Spoiler:
they never explained how Goro was dead.

They dead-ass go from he’s alive and well in MKX and in the MKX comics to he’s just dead in the lair and that somehow when Shang Tsung died, then everyone else on the Island did too.
So, they’re just retconning any of him being in MKX?

Not the ending I expected at all in story mode and pretty disappointed

Spoiler:
The damn extreme opposite of MKX, and I don't wanna hear any bullshit from the @$$holes that said that Cassie defeating Shinnok in MKX was terrible.
HOLY SHIT!
Literally made Liu Kang an Elder god and now he gets to have complete control over the existence of time.
F%*$ing TERRIBLE!

For anyone that has this on the X1, does the game keep freezing up on you at certain points? I was able to finish the Basic Tutorial, but I can't do the Advanced one because it keeps freezing on the loading screen. Same thing happens when I try the Fatality practice mode. And if I wait long enough, it'll just take me back to the X1 home screen.

Hell I can't even play the Story Mode because it freezes up.

I got it on X1 X and I have yet to experience any such issue.

Spoiler:
The damn extreme opposite of MKX, and I don't wanna hear any bullshit from the @$$holes that said that Cassie defeating Shinnok in MKX was terrible.
HOLY SHIT!
Literally made Liu Kang an Elder god and now he gets to have complete control over the existence of time.
F%*$ing TERRIBLE!

Spoiler:
I'm just sick and tired of the resetting time bull$h!T. Now I don't know what to expect from MK anymore because I strongly feel despite her death that Kronika won

Spoiler:
I'm just sick and tired of the resetting time bull$h!T. Now I don't know what to expect from MK anymore because I strongly feel despite her death that Kronika won

Spoiler:
As am I.
Not a fan of the whole time reset shit, either, and how it's just become a cheap plot-device in 2 out of the last 3 games.

That said, old and young versions of Kano, old Hanzo Hasashi and old Sonya are dead, though, so at least there's some positive in all of this, in that they aren't afraid of killing off some of the OG7 characters in story mode.

I think the game so far is really good. I hate Microtransactions, but you don't have to buy them. I never buy them to show the gaming industry that I don't want them in the game.

I do think people are hating on the game for stupid reasons. I see nothing wrong with Jax's ending since he went back in time to make people happier. I bet if Johnny Cage had ending where he goes back in time to kill Hitler and stop the Holocaust, no one would care.

I played the first two chapters of the story, and I think it's better than the entire MKX story by a mile. It's perfect so far. Just what I wanted.

Finished 6 chapters so far and I find it to be the best story of the three at the moment. The address a lot of issues like us questioning where tf Kotal, D'Vorah, Erron, Jacqui, Skarlet, the Kollector, and Centrion were all this time before the current trilogy, how they'll bring back dead characters without Quan Chi (via putting us right before Kung Lao's death in MK9), and the power scaling of characters when facing off against certain characters/species.

However, they've added new problems due to creative decisions made in previous games. First is consistent power scaling. Cassie defeated an Elder God at his best, but
Spoiler:
got bodied by Cyborgs
. Shao Kahn lost to Kotal Kahn, whom isn't using blood magik in this game but lost to Jacqui, Kung Jin, and Jade as well as a gunshot from Sonya. So far the only instances I know.

Second is the issue brought from MKX that exists cause of MK9, which is where tf are those who previously existed? Again, only 6 chapters in, but Kung Jin and Takeda were important people to the Special Forces (heck, Takeda is dating Jacqui). Kenshi was a member and he's also gone. I can only assume they are hunting down the Red Dragon at the moment. Li Mei isn't fighting for freedom like the 3D era so her absense is passable. Other dead characters don't show up, where at least all but Jade actually appeared in MKX. Tanya and Rain are assumed to be in prison or executed. Bo Rai Cho is non-existent. Fuujin is a f***ing god and he's missing yet again (I'm starting to believe he's doing the same thing MCU Captain Marvel as doing as of now). The last issue is one most complained about such as the Tarkatans being extinct out of no where and the perfectly healthy Vera somehow died a year before the events of MK11. And I thought Jax was already retired and only helped for one mission. It just feels like there was suppose to be a tie-in comic but the comic didn't happen because the writer is writing the main game.

All in all, I think they did a great job so far, and even though they still do this character chapter structure, the fights are at least believable and not "Oh you said Aye aye captain instead of sir yes sir, square up." The closest of that so far was Johnny vs Johnny but in order for past Johnny to believably work with current Johnny, he needs to learn to take things more seriously.

But I really do question what gripes does everyone else have with the story? Cause unlike the first two games where big issues were spotted as early as chapter 1 (in X) or during the second act (MK9), I haven't spotted any big issues in this games story as of yet. Especially not the issues stated prior to the game's official release.

Last edited:
Spoiler:
As am I.
Not a fan of the whole time reset shit, either, and how it's just become a cheap plot-device in 2 out of the last 3 games.

That said, old and young versions of Kano, old Hanzo Hasashi and old Sonya are dead, though, so at least there's some positive in all of this, in that they aren't afraid of killing off some of the OG7 characters in story mode.

Spoiler:
Does the death of Older Sonya, The Kanos, and Hanzo even matter since Kronika successfully reset time? Unless God Liu Kang and Kitana are somehow only able to keep certain characters dead those deaths really don't seem to matter

Welp, found the first major story flaw in Sonya's chapter.
Spoiler:
Kabal got his powers after being healed by Shang Tsung. So how in the absolute f*** did he get his powers without Shang Tsung? He literally used his speed dash during the cutscene. During gameplay I would've given it a pass because it's just gameplay, but in a cutscene is a-whole-nother story.

Here goes my thoughts in the game, specially story mode. I think it was a great story mode, probably the best of all MK, with a little "obs" in the end.

But before I go to spoilers and try to make comments as brief as possible, I wanna say something anybody can see. I might even say somewhere else, like Reddit, etc.

As a Raiden fan, I've been used to get annoyed by claims that Raiden messes everything. This has always been like this, but specially after MK9. All the time, it was crystal clear to me that Raiden is the ONLY character capable of carrying the burdens sufficient to save Earthrealm. Does he screws up? He does. But he always saves Earthrealm on its best interest. Sometimes it's bitter, but it's necessary. I have seen him giving up his life, his soul, his morality, his position, his Elder God and god status to save the Earthrealm.

I think MK11 establishes a lot of things. But one of them is that Raiden is forever the hero and forever the burden villains will have to fear. He is everything that makes villains fear and everything that makes winners win. No matter who you are: Shao Kahn, Liu Kang, Kung Lao...it's always about Raiden, no matter how. And more than that: they explain one thing that he messes up all the time.

So if there's still anyone who keeps on "rAiD3N meSSes Up AGaIn", let your heart be open to his whole arc in this trilogy.

Let's go! Brief comments on spoiler tags on things I'd like to point:

Kitana:

Spoiler:
Aside from being extremely fun to play, Kitana is on her best role EVER. I'm so glad they nailed her so much. She earned being Kahn of Outworld and she did ALL the difference. I'll talk about it in the ending, but I think how it happened it kinda spoiled what she actually gained, no matter what ending you got.

Liu Kang:

Spoiler:
Well, well, once again our hero right? Liu Kang was fantastic. He's super fun to play as I expected and I'm glad the debunked that arrogant child attitude from him. Everybody wanted a happy ending for Liu Kang right? He deserved. Most people wanted him as a Fire God, right? Well, I would be ok with that. But once again, in the ending I might comment more.

Raiden:

Spoiler:
As said before, the only one capable of doing what's necessary. Now giving up his own immortality. If it wasn't for Raiden, there would be no victory, Liu Kang or not. He showed to be what every bad guy fears, and is the only one who can even the odds, no matter what timeline. He figured out Kronika's plan, he resist the temptation of the amulet, he empowers Liu Kang with his own. Liu Kang may have won, but Raiden will forever be the one between us and total destruction.

Shao Kahn:

Spoiler:
Great participation of him. I've seen some people complaining he lost to Kitana. It was kombat, he lost, and that's it. It wasn't like "Cassie beats Shinnok at his best", it was like MKII or MK3: Kitana beats Shao Kahn. I loved he died on the arena. Like a gladiator. And his position was pretty good overall.

Kotal Kahn:

Spoiler:
Kittelsen's participation is pretty obvious when you look at Kotal. After his MKX flop (story), they made him honorable, a skilled fighter, and his fights with Shao Kahn were absolutely amazing. The two of them had great fights in the arena. He ended up maintaining his word, something he didn't seem to keep.

Scorpion:

Spoiler:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY HE DIDN'T SCREW IT UP! For the first time in the MK series Scorpion doesn't screw everything! Finally! A pity Hanzo died, however. But I'm glad he took the righteous path and stopped with BS.

Sub-Zero:

Spoiler:
Another solid participation of Sub-Zero. I wonder why he was a no show. He is great to play, he should have been in beta! Loved his partnership with Hanzo. The little of fire and ice we could get, right?

Elder Gods:

Spoiler:
LOLOLOLOL take that you &6%$#%& mother&¨%&(! Finally they were destroyed, as they should. They don't lift their asses for nothing. I was so angry when I saw them sitting there doing nothing once again, but so happy when they were all "dead". Thank Kronika!

Cetrion:

Spoiler:
Hm. A little disappointing. I thought she would matter at all. Not even as sub-boss she was worthy. went to Kronika's side. I mean, she did have a reason, but more or less, she is just like Shinnok. Difference is that he wanted to destroy everything. Still, MK11 establishes the Elder Gods as a-holes too (they show they are, they have always been). Also, giving herself to Kronika? Man, she's not worthy of wearing Shinnok's shoes. Still a pretty great koncept of a character, but wasted potential.

Kronika:

Spoiler:
Did that old bald parental alienating just threw me a t rex? Well, she was pretty badass. I've beaten her in the fourth or fifth try, medium, Corrupted Shinnok was worse. Thing is: if Elder Gods cannot die, how could a titan be killed that "easily"? You know what I mean. She was menacing throughout all the game, and I think she was deserving of the boss of the bosses title, not exactly because of gameplay (I haven't faced her on hard so far), but because of what she does.

Baraka:

Spoiler:
Those who complained I think Baraka was redeemed. He really posed as a leader, general, and not some random dude. He was great to see.

Kano:

Spoiler:
Best participation ever. He was pretty fun lol, but pretty dumb. Got what he deserved.

Johnny, Sonya, Cassie:

Spoiler:
Johnny was awesome, younger himself was fun, but I prefer the older. I hope that they don't come back in time and give us only young Johnny. He's a douche and is light-years behind his present alter ego. Sonya died, lol, wasn't expecting. I prefer younger Sonya however. And Cassie, I think they did a good job on her. She at the least acted like she has defeated Shinnok.

Jax and Jacqui:

Spoiler:
Not much to say about Jacqui, she fulfilled her role, it was nice, no reason for anybody to complain IMO. Now, Jax is the new Scorpion lol YOU COULD HAVE BEATEN CETRION YOU IDIOT (old Jax).

D'vorah:

Spoiler:
I wanna punch her so badly.

Geras:

Spoiler:
LOL I thought Raiden went dark that time. That was worse than Shinnok's fate! Well, I think he was a great goon. A jobber, but, that's it.

What else? Frost, Noob?

Spoiler:
Nice but very small role for Noob. Frost's best participation, I was surprised she was REALLY a cyborg lol. Looks pretty cool (no puns).

Other characters:

Spoiler:
Kollector: new Reptile for me;

Jade: nice one, she was pretty greater than she used to be;

Kung Lao: best puns lol

Kabal and Erron Black: when it comes to story, very jobbers.

ENDING:

Spoiler:
While the story was amazing, both endings were very bitter. Raiden always sacrifices everything to save everybody, but becoming a mortal made me unsafe about MK12. For the first time I am like "will Raiden return?". Well, I got the ending where he will. But will he? I'm worried now. I think was unfair to him too. But, a job is a job. Still, returning everything I think erased the good things they got (like Kitana Kahn). So in the end Kronika did "win". She died, but she erased the timeline. Now I understand the "What's Next?"

About the game, I might have to play it more, I played story, explored Krypt, but haven't even taken a tower yet. I'll do it later.

I think the game so far is really good. I hate Microtransactions, but you don't have to buy them. I never buy them to show the gaming industry that I don't want them in the game.

I do think people are hating on the game for stupid reasons. I see nothing wrong with Jax's ending since he went back in time to make people happier. I bet if Johnny Cage had ending where he goes back in time to kill Hitler and stop the Holocaust, no one would care.

Says that others are being stupid for disliking the out of character ending (and no, Johnny Cage killing Hitler would be also out of character, why would he do that?) yet says that he shows companies that he doesn't like microtransactions, by not buying them, but SUPPORTING THEM BY BUYING THEIR GAME. Have you thought this through?

If you buy their game already, you show you're fine with the microtransactions as they "don't get in your way". So devs/publisher are like. Ok that means they are fine with this system, let's add more next time!

There is a saying after all "Give them an inch and they will take a mile". So yeah, man. You're showing them.

Also

Untitled-2.jpg

Yep. It is MKX all over again. Massive crashes, bad optimization, very low audio (deja vu with that one)

If they just did some sort of... BETA Testing. So microtransactions, crappy story mode, my favorite character butchered to an angsty, wannabe badass brat that wants attention (opposite of a good Ninja). And I thought they would improve on DA Frost... they didn't even give a human version for Frost. Great.

You have to beat Kronika without losing a round, to get the other ending.

Spoiler:
Well, f-me, then.
Liu Kang is the character that I'm the weakest with, so I'll just YouTube the other ending.

[/SPOILER]

ENDING:

Spoiler:
While the story was amazing, both endings were very bitter. Raiden always sacrifices everything to save everybody, but becoming a mortal made me unsafe about MK12. For the first time I am like "will Raiden return?". Well, I got the ending where he will. But will he? I'm worried now. I think was unfair to him too. But, a job is a job. Still, returning everything I think erased the good things they got (like Kitana Kahn). So in the end Kronika did "win". She died, but she erased the timeline. Now I understand the "What's Next?"

Spoiler:
Raiden is part of the "big 4" of MK as of now, and even if he isn't a god anymore, it's like saying that Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Liu Kang also won't be in MK12.

He'll probably just have a mentor role in MK12, which kind of sucks, imo, because I was hoping that Fujin would be the NEW protector of EarthRealm, but nope..... Let's turn a non-god character into a god instead of potentially leading up to Fujin taking up the mantle. :roll:

Spoiler:
Well, f-me, then.
Liu Kang is the character that I'm the weakest with, so I'll just YouTube the other ending.

Spoiler:
Raiden is part of the "big 4" of MK as of now, and even if he isn't a god anymore, it's like saying that Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Liu Kang also won't be in MK12.

He'll probably just have a mentor role in MK12, which kind of sucks, imo, because I was hoping that Fujin would be the NEW protector of EarthRealm, but nope..... Let's turn a non-god character into a god instead of potentially leading up to Fujin taking up the mantle. :roll:

Spoiler:
I swear it's like Fujin's time will never come this is another story he should had been involved in but NO! Ed Boon really hates the 3D era

There's a good 10 cumulative minutes in story mode of characters standing in open air, gunning down hordes of people just running at them. Is this action? Lol

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, he's part of the big 4, but I do hope he doesn't come back as some MK:Annihilation mortal Raiden, you know? I hope he comes back as GOD OF THUNDER, even if he's not protector. I think Liu Kang's arcade ending was the best ending: he shared the power with his most trusted people, they became Elder Gods, and that's it. It was bitter cause he was sad, but as much as I love Liu Kang, I'd rather have him sad than Raiden mortal lol