Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

He never was Mortal Kombat. He was part of it. Just cause Ed Boon and marketing boys, want their easy to use mascot, doesn't change the fact, that Mortal Kombat was made up from multiple characters.

And no this song doesn't fit MK11.

Would have fit the older ones.

Tarkatan time for you, like me to realize. It ain't your old MK. They are selling this game now to a new audience.

1) If you remove Scorpion from MK, the game will fail, as has been proven once before. If you want MK to succeed, you need Scorpion on the roster at all times.

2) Songs about killing people fit MK a lot more than hip hop. How a song from band whose name literally translates to "killing a god" doesn't fit MK is beyond me.

3) For a game "not being my old MK" I seem to see a very high concentration of veteran characters on the konfirmed roster. Plus, "my old MK" will forever be at the top of the class anyway.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Good one, mate.

Poor jokes aside. I think you mixed "Martial Arts" with "gimmicks".

"Jax was doing boxing"

I don't think you know how boxing looks like. Just cause someone puts their arms up, and punches you in the face, it does not mean, that that person is a boxer or is boxing. Boxing isn't just just guarding and punching. There is a specific footwork just for the boxer, there are dodges, there are counters, the are specific DASHES.

Just because Jax uses couple of moves, that look like boxing, doesn't mean he is actually a boxer. And last time I checked, boxers don't grab their opponents.

You wanna see how you design a character with boxing in mind?

That's how.

Also, Johnny is doing anything, but kickboxing. Same as Jacqui (whose kicking animation made me and Xenon burst out in tears. Entire body frozen and only a leg is moving. Come on.). I do kickboxing in a club near me. What Jacqui and Johnny are doing are just gimmicks. NOT Kickboxing.

Same with Cassie or any other character. They have couple of moves, that are used to claim "this character is a martial artist, yada yada". And they only use flashy moves. So no. There are no martial arts in MK11.

But the things is, I am not saying that MK11 sucks, cause it doesn't have martial arts. I am just asking not to insult actual martial arts, by calling whatever these characters are doing, as martial arts.

The only time. THE ONLY TIME, when Mortal Kombat had used ACTUAL Martial Arts, was in 3D Era. Characters actually both used the moves and stances from the real life martials arts. Shorin Ryu, Hapkido, Mi Tzu, Sumo, FanZi. Holy shit. Liu Kang was using Ju Fan. The style of Bruce Lee.

MK9 didn't have martials arts in them, just gimmicks. Nor MKX. And MKX is completely obvious. Like I said. It doesn't make the game bad, cause they don't use them anymore. I wished to see them, but... PoP Culture man. Point is, don't tell me that is Martial Arts, cause it is not. It would be an insult to martial arts. ESPECIALLY with the current animations during the MK11 gameplay.
Jax literally does bob and weave techniques in the cutscenes and Johnny has a kickboxers stance in his intro. The game isnt Tekken but there are some martial arts aspect in the gameplay. Also MK has rarely been about actual Martial Arts with the exception of 4 games( and even then it was a bit iffy)

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

It looks like martial arts to me, but whatevs, different preferences. And the one thing I always find hilarious when people complain about the music (not singling anybody out), is that people seem to think that MK is tied to heavy metal and rock or something. When some of the series most well known tracks were mostly techno beats from the 90s.

It looks like martial arts to me, but whatevs, different preferences. And the one thing I always find hilarious when people complain about the music (not singling anybody out), is that people seem to think that MK is tied to heavy metal and rock or something. When some of the series most well known tracks were mostly techno beats from the 90s.
Metal is most associated with songs about killing people, and one of the biggest selling points about MK is killing people. This should be a perfect match. How it isn't is beyond me.

1) If you remove Scorpion from MK, the game will fail, as has been proven once before. If you want MK to succeed, you need Scorpion on the roster at all times.

2) Songs about killing people fit MK a lot more than hip hop. How a song from band whose name literally translates to "killing a god" doesn't fit MK is beyond me.

3) For a game "not being my old MK" I seem to see a very high concentration of veteran characters on the konfirmed roster. Plus, "my old MK" will forever be at the top of the class anyway.

1- I doubt it

2- You its not just lyrics its also beats hence why hip hop and rap songs go well with Fighting Games( and techno)

Mortal Kombat does go well with Metal and rock in various instances (as proven by some of 9 and X's trailers) but at the same time rap and synth beats equally mesh well the flow of fighting, honestly comparing it to where the series started in terms of score, it's really not that different. (Also I must say I've really been enjoying some of the stage themes that we've heard so far, a massive improvement over X).

Jax literally does bob and weave techniques in the cutscenes and Johnny has a kickboxers stance in his intro. The game isnt Tekken but there are some martial arts aspect in the gameplay. Also MK has rarely been about actual Martial Arts with the exception of 4 games( and even then it was a bit iffy)

Cheezus H Fu$%king Crispy, dude. Cutscenes are cutscenes. I am talking gameplay. I don't give two shits about a cutscene. If they used gameplay animations in the cutscenes, you would be seeing 90s style blocky movement.

I am talking gameplay. Like I said. They add one or two movements on a character, to make him look like he is doing that kind of style, but that's it. You can show me Jax doing whatever the f%ck he wants in a cutscene. But it won't change the fact, that he is not boxing, when I play AS HIM. He only does the gimmicks.

And in this case it is not some subjective "taste or preferences".

Not to mention... animations... Injustice 2 all over again. Man, Darkseid animations still make me cringe. Holding his arms behind his back, most of the time. It was like watching someone trying to go to a toilet with tied hands.

And here same shit. Human body does not move like that. We don't freeze and move just one limb. We put our entire weight behind the kick or a punch. Body twists, bends. Entirely.

But again, I sound like "Oh boo hoo, MK11 isn't what I wanted it to be, it doesn't have that or that". Nah, nah. I learned. It is not a game about mythologies or traditional martial arts anymore. It is a goofy/comedic game with popular references and cartoonish gore elements. It is a different kind of animal now, and I have to treat it differently. I stop looking at it through my nostalgia glasses.

It does pay this casual homage to martial arts, by putting some gimmicky moves in, but again. It is not about martial arts anymore. They market the gore and fatalities now. And theme looks like a sci fi movie. And that is FINE. No sarcasm or anything. Literally. It is fine. I understand. I move on.

And yes, 3D Era animations looked iffy. But it was done back in the day, when tech was very limited, so they did their best with what they got and I say. A damn good job.

Cheezus H Fu$%king Crispy, dude. Cutscenes are cutscenes. I am talking gameplay. I don't give two shits about a cutscene. If they used gameplay animations in the cutscenes, you would be seeing 90s style blocky movement.

I am talking gameplay. Like I said. They add one or two movements on a character, to make him look like he is doing that kind of style, but that's it. You can show me Jax doing whatever the f%ck he wants in a cutscene. But it won't change the fact, that he is not boxing, when I play AS HIM. He only does the gimmicks.

Not to mention... animations... Injustice 2 all over again. Man, Darkseid animations still make me cringe. Holding his arms behind his back, most of the time. It was like watching someone trying to go to a toilet with tied hands.

And here same shit. Human body does not move like that. We don't freeze and move just one limb. We put our entire weight behind the kick or a punch. Body twists, bends. Entirely.

But again, I sound like "Oh boo hoo, MK11 isn't what I wanted it to be, it doesn't have that or that". Nah, nah. I learned. It is not a game about mythologies or traditional martial arts anymore. It is a goofy/comedic game with popular references and cartoonish gore elements. It is a different kind of animal now, and I have to treat it differently. I stop looking at it through my nostalgia glasses.

It does pay this casual homage to martial arts, by putting some gimmicky moves in, but again. It is not about martial arts anymore. They market the gore and fatalities now. And theme looks like a sci fi movie. And that is FINE. No sarcasm or anything. Literally. It is fine. I understand. I move on.

And yes, 3D Era animations looked iffy. But it was done back in the day, when tech was very limited, so they did their best with what they got and I say. A damn good job.

Dude, MK was always really goofy, sure there was and still is deep serious lore behind it, but at the end of the day it was and still is a kung fu pop-corn flick about movie stars and shaolin monks fighting wizards and sci fi robots, and I'm glad they embrace that then trying to go super serious dark like they were moving towards in X.

But at least I'm glad you've made peace with the direction.

Ah yes. I keep forgetting. The extremist Tarkatan Trash.

If you remove Sub Zero it will also have a backlash. Or Raiden. Or even Sonya. (I remember people not being happy with her gone) Cheezus. Why do you think Original characters are pretty much the untouchables ones?

ALSO Mortal Kombat 3 suffered from bad combat system, a lot of designs choices were considered "campy" and people weren't exactly happy about new characters. Especially as MULTIPLE iconic characters were swapped for them.

So save your breath on kissing Scorpion's a$$, cause he is not the holy savior of MK.

2) Well there is this thing called... different style. Also it seems we have EXTREMELY different views on metal. But that goes in the are of "whatever floats your boat, buddy"

I don't think metal would fit with the goofy atmosphere, MK11 is showing.

MKX had a perfect fit with Chop Suey as it had a darker atmosphere (aesthetically). But metal and colorful costumes? Nah.

Last edited:
Every Mortal Kombat has been my favorite Mortal Kombat since MK9. They step their game up massively with each installment and they're one of the only devs who can boast that.

Dude, MK was always really goofy, sure there was and still is deep serious lore behind it, but at the end of the day it was and still is a kung fu pop-corn flick about movie stars and shaolin monks fighting wizards and sci fi robots, and I'm glad they embrace that then trying to go super serious dark like they were moving towards in X.

MKX, didn't even go dark. Nobody even died there (Good guys I mean). Hell. Dead were brough back to life, family reunion, Sonya, Johnny and Cassie make one big familu hug, after Cassie beat Shinnok, the one dimensional villain, with her super secret power of friendship, plot armor and "passing of the torch". While Takeda and Jacqui not only managed to buy time, fighting against freaking Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Sindel and Kitana AT THE SAME TIME, but managed not to get ripped part.

Where was it serious and dark, is a mystery to me.

You wanna see dark and serious?

Dead Alliance. Liu Kang killed. Shao Kahn avoided his death, but lost his power. Shang Tsung and Quan Chi are bringing back the dead army.

Deception. Almost everyone died fighting Deadly Alliance, Raiden dies sacrificing himself to stop Onaga, all dead fighters get reanimated, no time travel to save them.

Armageddon, everything goes to shit. All reality hangs on the balance. Everyone is bloodthirsty. You literally can see Johnny Cage push Sonya off the pyramid, just so he could get the power. In the INTRO.

Not to mention Konquest story is about Taven, who slowly starts climbing into despair as he sees, his family being torn apart, by some freaking quest. Turning his only remaining family member into power hungry monster, which he has to kill. In the end he loses everything and still pushes to complete the quest... only in his ending quest doesn't do what it intended. But canon ending is Shao Kahn winning which results in summoning the Armageddon.

That was dark.

The only goofy parts, were fatalities and audio. MK11 on other hand... literally the latest trailer starts with hip hop and slow mo of Johnny Cage punching Kano in the balls.

"there was and still is deep serious lore behind it"

Not anymore. You can't have a lore, if you can't even keep your character's backstory consistent. IN ONE STORYLINE.

But like you said.

I'm glad they embrace that then trying to go super serious dark like they were moving towards in X.

The game is made for people like you. You enjoy that. You're now the target audience. Good for you.

Last edited:
24dmsft.jpg

Fresh wound on young Johnny shown to add scar to old Johnny. Their way of establishing that whatever happens to their younger selves, happens to them

Good catch, I think they will go down the road where no matter what BS happens in the past, time finds a way to fix itself, except death.

I guess older versions will have a tough time.

And I who knows if the Kombat kids aren't in worse danger. I mean, past Johnny dies, present Johnny dies cause he never existed...no Cassie.

[...]

Man, can't wait to see young Liu Kang looking that badass. Not gonna lie Emperor Liu Kang gave one hell of a flying kick into Raiden...but he's not gonna take this s#1t for free just like before. I hope MKII Liu Kang kick his ass badly.

If you remove Sub Zero it will also have a backlash. Or Raiden. Or even Sonya. (I remember people not being happy with her gone) Cheezus. Why do you think Original characters are pretty much the untouchables ones?

Nobody batted an eye when Sonya(and Kano for that matter) didn't make the MK2 roster. Out of the original 7, they were the least popular ones which was why they were left out there.

Nobody batted an eye when Sonya(and Kano for that matter) didn't make the MK2 roster. Out of the original 7, they were the least popular ones which was why they were left out there.

Man, when people will learn? Don't speak for everyone.

One of many reasons why people didn't scream so much, was because they replaced Sonya with Mileena and Kitana. And while Mileena and Kitana have been received positively (obviously). There were people unhappy that Sonya was reduced to background element.

Maybe in hindsight you shouldve been more clear during your initial comment, also its kinda stupid to complain about lack of martial arts and "gimmicks" now when MK hasnt focused on Martial arts in over a decade. Also going by your other points MK was never that good with consistency, the 3-D era retcon a lot of things

Maybe in hindsight you shouldve been more clear during your initial comment, also its kinda stupid to complain about lack of martial arts and "gimmicks" now when MK hasnt focused on Martial arts in over a decade. Also going by your other points MK was never that good with consistency, the 3-D era retcon a lot of things

You know what is also kinda stupid? Not reading the post properly.

They market the gore and fatalities now. And theme looks like a sci fi movie. And that is FINE. No sarcasm or anything. Literally. It is fine. I understand. I move on.

You can't complain, if you're at peace with the fact that game is not gonna be what you expected or hoped for. I simply POINTED OUT, that your claim about martials arts being in MK11, is wrong.

So where you saw me complaining about it, is beyond me.

Man, when people will learn? Don't speak for everyone.

One of many reasons why people didn't scream so much, was because they replaced Sonya with Mileena and Kitana. And while Mileena and Kitana have been received positively (obviously). There were people unhappy that Sonya was reduced to background element.

Is there a source for that?

And Sonya's exclusion in MK2 didn't cause as much controversy as Scorpion being left out of MK3 did. Even Boon himself admitted he regretted doing the latter.

You know what is also kinda stupid? Not reading the post properly.

You can't complain, if you're at peace with the fact that game is not gonna be what you expected or hoped for. I simply POINTED OUT, that your claim about martials arts being in MK11, is wrong.

So where you saw me complaining about it, is beyond me.
I read it properly and it was still vague, you could've said "I want the martial arts style stances from the 3-d era"