Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

If I had to complain about anything with Shang there is something off about his head to body proportions, I don't know if his head looks too big or maybe his shoulders aren't broad enough, maybe it's his arms? I don't know but something looks a little off, still can't wait to play as him though with a younger skin.

Saw an interview with Ed where he was talking about a returning character being scanned that will surprise people, I wonder if it's the actor who play Shang Tsung in the MK movie? He had tweeted about him last year, maybe they wanted him in the game then?

So glad I was right! And I guessed it the day after the reveal :) LOL

I'll tell you what - he no longer looks like evil sorcerer but more like some good old friendly wizard.

But this is somehow Tagawa‘s portrayal of this character and it is actually something that I really like about it. In the movie Shang is sometimes really kind and mellow, for example when he welcomes Sonya and company on his ship rightly before Sub-Zero and Scorpion enter (bad ass scene). And then he is as evil as possible like the moments when he kills Chan. Don’t judge too early. I am hyped for Shang but it’s a pity he is DLC.

EDIT: Noob Saibot looks amazing. Totally going to main him.

Last edited:
But this is somehow Tagawa‘s portrayal of this character and it is actually something that I really like about it. In the movie Shang is sometimes really kind and mellow, for example when he welcomes Sonya and company on his ship rightly before Sub-Zero and Scorpion enter (bad ass scene). And then he is as evil as possible like the moments when he kills Chan. Don’t judge too early. I am hyped for Shang but it’s a pity he is DLC.

EDIT: Noob Saibot looks amazing. Totally going to main him.
Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is to Shang Tsung what Ian McDiarmid is to Emperor Palpatine. This portrayal is good by default.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Looking at this pattern. All playable MK1 characters are here. If Shang Tsung (who was unplayable in MK1) is DLC, then Reptile (who was also unplayable, wasnt he?) could be DLC.

Then again the roster choices be random as . Wouldn't be surprised if Nightwolf or Stryker or another character nobody cared about would be DLC.

So do you still believe Rain will make it?

I'm really torn on that one. The leaks I've read were 50/50 on Rain, but no one had seen a render of him, whereas they were pretty confident that both Shang and Mileena were unlocks, and a few said Shinnok was - and note, this is some time before the fake Shinnok screenshot was posted.

The leak said that the Krypt was now huge and had much more to do in it, and was divided into sectors; Shang Tsung's Island was one sector (the main, I assume) and Shang himself could be unlocked by completing it (or possibly the entire Krypt). Given what we saw yesterday, this leak now seems highly plausible, and it's possible that Shang either wasn't finished in time to be on the base roster or WB simply believed he'd be too good an opportunity to pass up as DLC.

It was also said that Rain was tied to the Edenia sector and Mileena to the Outworld sector - if we get confirmation from future trailers or leaks that the Krypt does indeed contain those places, then that's very good news for Rain and Mileena being Krypt unlocks.

There's also the fact that Rain is obviously popular in terms of polling (especially after being an NPC in MKX) and when Boon did his 'who do you want back for MK 11?' poll, Rain was IIRC 2nd after Noob, with Baraka and Kabal being the other options. Those three are all now confirmed for MK 11.

We had absolutely no idea what the Krypt would be like in MK 11, we just assumed it'd be bigger and better based on the comments NRS had made. For someone to 'leak' that the Krypt contained Shang Tsung's Island and that Shang Tsung himself be tied to it as an unlock would be, IMO, a huge and very lucky coincidence if they were just making shit up and hadn't actually seen early builds of this stuff.

Given the 29 slot roster on the website and Shang now being confirmed as DLC, this is my bet as of now:

- The Krypt is made up of three or four sectors, with Shang Tsung's Island being the main/central area from which to navigate to the others.
- The three sectors are Outworld, Edenia and the Netherrealm (Earthrealm could also possibly be one?)
- The Krypt contains loads of stuff (skins, gear, concept art, custom moves, music, etc.) but also new characters: Mileena (Outworld), Rain (Edenia) and Shinnok (the Netherrealm).
- This would give you a 29-slot roster: 24 base + 1 story mode unlock + Shao Kahn + 3 Krypt unlocks

Yes, this could all be wrong and I am fully prepared for there to be no Krypt character unlocks, but given the way they've been teasing it this time, and the fact that Shang Tsung's Island was specifically mentioned to be the main part of the Krypt, with Shang unlocked in it (which I think they very probably considered earlier in development) I'm willing to be open-minded here.

Arguments against this would be that we've not seen leaked renders of Rain, Mileena or Shinnok (who looks like an NPC in the story mode prologue), but on the other hand we never saw a leaked render of Shang, who is confirmed, and we've still never seen a leaked render of Jax, who several leaks now seem to have all but confirmed.

Is this wishful thinking? Yes, certainly, but if you put some of the leaks together with the roster size on the website - which cannot be base roster + KP1 because it's not enough slots - then I think it bodes well.

I'm really torn on that one. The leaks I've read were 50/50 on Rain, but no one had seen a render of him, whereas they were pretty confident that both Shang and Mileena were unlocks, and a few said Shinnok was - and note, this is some time before the fake Shinnok screenshot was posted.

The leak said that the Krypt was now huge and had much more to do in it, and was divided into sectors; Shang Tsung's Island was one sector (the main, I assume) and Shang himself could be unlocked by completing it (or possibly the entire Krypt). Given what we saw yesterday, this leak now seems highly plausible, and it's possible that Shang either wasn't finished in time to be on the base roster or WB simply believed he'd be too good an opportunity to pass up as DLC.

It was also said that Rain was tied to the Edenia sector and Mileena to the Outworld sector - if we get confirmation from future trailers or leaks that the Krypt does indeed contain those places, then that's very good news for Rain and Mileena being Krypt unlocks.

There's also the fact that Rain is obviously popular in terms of polling (especially after being an NPC in MKX) and when Boon did his 'who do you want back for MK 11?' poll, Rain was IIRC 2nd after Noob, with Baraka and Kabal being the other options. Those three are all now confirmed for MK 11.

We had absolutely no idea what the Krypt would be like in MK 11, we just assumed it'd be bigger and better based on the comments NRS had made. For someone to 'leak' that the Krypt contained Shang Tsung's Island and that Shang Tsung himself be tied to it as an unlock would be, IMO, a huge and very lucky coincidence if they were just making shit up and hadn't actually seen early builds of this stuff.

Given the 29 slot roster on the website and Shang now being confirmed as DLC, this is my bet as of now:

- The Krypt is made up of three or four sectors, with Shang Tsung's Island being the main/central area from which to navigate to the others.
- The three sectors are Outworld, Edenia and the Netherrealm (Earthrealm could also possibly be one?)
- The Krypt contains loads of stuff (skins, gear, concept art, custom moves, music, etc.) but also new characters: Mileena (Outworld), Rain (Edenia) and Shinnok (the Netherrealm).
- This would give you a 29-slot roster: 24 base + 1 story mode unlock + Shao Kahn + 3 Krypt unlocks

Yes, this could all be wrong and I am fully prepared for there to be no Krypt character unlocks, but given the way they've been teasing it this time, and the fact that Shang Tsung's Island was specifically mentioned to be the main part of the Krypt, with Shang unlocked in it (which I think they very probably considered earlier in development) I'm willing to be open-minded here.

Arguments against this would be that we've not seen leaked renders of Rain, Mileena or Shinnok (who looks like an NPC in the story mode prologue), but on the other hand we never saw a leaked render of Shang, who is confirmed, and we've still never seen a leaked render of Jax, who several leaks now seem to have all but confirmed.

Is this wishful thinking? Yes, certainly, but if you put some of the leaks together with the roster size on the website - which cannot be base roster + KP1 because it's not enough slots - then I think it bodes well.

I have read something about the leaks saying each of those characters would be unlocked after you complete their part of the krypt, Shang being DLC kind of throws a monkey wrench into it though because he was also said to be unlocked by completing his island portion of the krypt. It's hard to believe someone guessed that Shang would have his own area of the krypt though so someone likely did have info and it they either got something wrong or plans changed. I just hope Rain makes it in.

I have read something about the leaks saying each of those characters would be unlocked after you complete their part of the krypt, Shang being DLC kind of throws a monkey wrench into it though because he was also said to be unlocked by completing his island portion of the krypt. It's hard to believe someone guessed that Shang would have his own area of the krypt though so someone likely did have info and it they either got something wrong or plans changed. I just hope Rain makes it in.

Or plans changed. Or Shang can be unlocked. Like Brainiac in Injustice 2. He is a DLC, but you can also unlock him.

Or plans changed. Or Shang can be unlocked. Like Brainiac in Injustice 2. He is a DLC, but you can also unlock him.

You can buy Brainiac, seriously? I thought he was the story mode unlock?

It amazes me people can be so lazy and quick to throw their money around.

Problem with that idea is that Shang is implied to be post launch, usually like a month after the game comes out, while Brainiac was base roster.