Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

The Revenants have to come back somehow. Someone like Nightwolf doesn't make any sense as a Revenant. He's a leader, there's no where for his story to go as a slave. Same for characters like Jade, Stryker, and Sindel.

What makes you think they HAVE to come back? What does that mean? And it's a new story. They dont have keep reverting to the old shit just because it's there. That ruins the progression. And Sindel was enslaved by Shao Kahn for AGES after she killed herself. In both old and new timelines. Jade too (at least in the old time line)...

You want there to be progression but the revenant story is the exact same thing they did in Deception where Jax, Sonya and others were Onaga's revenants. These characters are going to come back in future MK games regardless of where the story goes, so I'd prefer they weren't one note zombies when they do

I'm so excited for this. NRS is finally catching up to most fighting games. This is so important for a game like MK11 which is so much slower paced. Being able to hit confirm easier is vital now since you'll have to know when you'll want to Krushing Blow or not. And since most characters can't launch for free.

You want there to be progression but the revenant story is the exact same thing they did in Deception where Jax, Sonya and others were Onaga's revenants. These characters are going to come back in future MK games regardless of where the story goes, so I'd prefer they weren't one note zombies when they do

I'd rather they just killed them off. They need to actually make the story progress - we can't keep rebooting the storyline and having the same handful of MK1 & 2 characters inexplicably dominate every game.

We all thought MKX was passing the torch to the kids... I seriously hope MK 11 is in fact doing this now. If their intent is to recycle this storyline and these characters every game - based solely on the fact they're recognizable to casual players - then that's the fastest way to make me lose interest in MK again.

I rewatched Skarlet's breakdown video and i noticed that her moves can easily be fit for Rain like the blood rain and some projectiles. I hope this doesn't decrease his chances

It's a fighting game first. They live and die by their roster, regardless of how good the story is. Those people going "No Mileena no buy. No Reptile no buy" aren't minorities. I've seen them on every social media platform I've been on, and even in conversations I've had with coworkers. You need the enticing roster to bring people in. Mortal Kombat doesn't have a good story, it never has. It's always had a good story for a fighting game. And they shouldn't try and sacrifice the fighting game part just for the story. Save that for the Shaolin Monks style side games

I do want to see Noob finally interacting to Scorpion for once. I don't think Scorpion knows that Noob is Bi-Han or not.

This. The Lin Kuei may be responsible for his family's death, but what Bi-Han had absolutely nothing with Quan Chi, he did because he wanted to. Scorpion and Noob Saibot NEVER interacted after MK1, they were so occupied making a rivalry between the first and the second's brother that the true killer that became a serious villain was never a scenario.

Yeah, but the difference is that in that game this wasn't even something very important. They basically did that to justify most characters not being in the roster, and in the end they were freed again by Ermac. Here they can be cheesy, but they are important, they inherited a legacy and we got to the point where Liu Kang and Kitana are rulers of the Netherrealm and Raiden is against them, so there is a significant difference.

I'd rather they just killed them off. They need to actually make the story progress - we can't keep rebooting the storyline and having the same handful of MK1 & 2 characters inexplicably dominate every game.

We all thought MKX was passing the torch to the kids... I seriously hope MK 11 is in fact doing this now. If their intent is to recycle this storyline and these characters every game - based solely on the fact they're recognizable to casual players - then that's the fastest way to make me lose interest in MK again.

I think you shouldn't keep this hope, cause you better get frustrated. It really seems they are not doing that. If the current timeline isn't erased - I don't believe it will, more likely revenants will die and young versions may step up, or young versions will beat the revenancy out of them and leave - they won't probably make the kombat kids substitute them, maybe Cassie will, but I doubt the others will.

But who knows. MK11 picks right after MKX, even if that wasn't the idea of passing the torch, it does makes sense some people come back, that's why I said a few days ago Johnny Cage became a must, it might not be the best news and I hope it's not about his family on the core of the game, but you couldn't rule him or Sonya out if we are taking right after MKX. A few years in the future would be acceptable, but right after it, nope.

Mortal Kombat doesn't have a good story, it never has. It's always had a good story for a fighting game. And they shouldn't try and sacrifice the fighting game part just for the story. Save that for the Shaolin Monks style side games

While I do agree with the part I cut, I strongly disagree with the quote. It always had a good story, the thing it was never fully explored exactly because there's the idea a fighting game cannot privilege story, even for NRS/Midway who has doing story for ages. I do think they should making some sacrifices for the story, as they are partially doing, otherwise MK suffers the risk of becoming Street Fighter or any japanese game like this: decades of over and over the same thing, same plots, shitty scenarios because in the end the only thing that matters is 1v1.

They could totally make side games like MK:SM - but at the least canon - but it becomes absolutely boring to have the same core all over again. That's why revenants should never have been in MKX. Kitana and Kung Lao were absolutely useless, but they came became because of fans. That's one of the reasons I liked 3D era, it had the courage to do what was necessary.

Of course, am I biased because I'm Raiden dude + Scorpion/Sub-Zero + Liu Kang are the ones I've been playing for ages? Well, I confess I am, but I think they should start exploring the story heavily, that enriches stages, characters and even game modes. The fighting style aspect of the game will never suffer any harm, however.

It's a fighting game first. They live and die by their roster, regardless of how good the story is. Those people going "No Mileena no buy. No Reptile no buy" aren't minorities. I've seen them on every social media platform I've been on, and even in conversations I've had with coworkers. You need the enticing roster to bring people in. Mortal Kombat doesn't have a good story, it never has. It's always had a good story for a fighting game. And they shouldn't try and sacrifice the fighting game part just for the story. Save that for the Shaolin Monks style side games

I do miss the side games that used to tie into the MK lore such as Sub Zero mythologies and Shaolin monks. Yes mythologies was terrible gameplay wise but in the right hands ( and with the technology we have now ) we could get something great. I'm thinking out loud of course but it's something to consider.

Last edited:
Let it be pointed out that we still want Fire and Ice to be developed and released.

While I do agree with the part I cut, I strongly disagree with the quote. It always had a good story, the thing it was never fully explored exactly because there's the idea a fighting game cannot privilege story, even for NRS/Midway who has doing story for ages. I do think they should making some sacrifices for the story, as they are partially doing, otherwise MK suffers the risk of becoming Street Fighter or any japanese game like this: decades of over and over the same thing, same plots, shitty scenarios because in the end the only thing that matters is 1v1.

They could totally make side games like MK:SM - but at the least canon - but it becomes absolutely boring to have the same core all over again. That's why revenants should never have been in MKX. Kitana and Kung Lao were absolutely useless, but they came became because of fans. That's one of the reasons I liked 3D era, it had the courage to do what was necessary.

Of course, am I biased because I'm Raiden dude + Scorpion/Sub-Zero + Liu Kang are the ones I've been playing for ages? Well, I confess I am, but I think they should start exploring the story heavily, that enriches stages, characters and even game modes. The fighting style aspect of the game will never suffer any harm, however.

The only genre where story overrides gameplay is JRPG. This is a fighting game, which goes the other way around. And weren't tournament players also a factor in Kung Lao and Kitana's return in MKX?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Let it be pointed out that we still want Fire and Ice to be developed and released.

The only genre where story overrides gameplay is JRPG. This is a fighting game, which goes the other way around. And weren't tournament players also a factor in Kung Lao and Kitana's return in MKX?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm not saying it should override, however. But I don't think the fighting game genre should absolutely overlap story.

Story matters in MK, story drives options, stages, characters, there can be balance between them. If story overrides gameplay, we would have MK3, a lesson we have already learned by taking the big three out of the series. But if gameplay overrides story, we would have Street Fighterish Mortal Kombat, where every game is the same dull thing, no character development, and we would miss the chance of exploring the lore.

MK is one, if not the only fighting game that have the option to merge story and gameplay without nothing getting lost. If we had a story mode Deception/Armageddon, we would still have amazing cutscenes, single fights, free roam, exploring, and everything NRS can think. There is no loss for single player or multiplayer.

Now, about story driving rosters, we can totally have it without breaking the MK3 rule. For exemple, Raiden is immortal, Sub-Zero and Scorpion could become Jinsei buffed protectors, Liu Kang could become immortal champion, and those like Johnny and Sonya - despite being original characters - could be easily replaced by Cassie, Jax by Jacqui (better developed of course) and so on. The Mortal Kombat tournament is exactly about generations fighting against Outworld, they could totally move on, better develop old 3d chars, bring back klassics with things like time folding here and then, and move on.

But my point is: even if we are going to stay dull, I think it should be story wise. Exactly as you mentioned, Kitana and Kung Lao stood despite their obvious idling behavior only because of gameplay. It's basically my argument for guests, we lost two slots that could be better used for characters that didn't even got attention at all.

Those people going "No Mileena no buy. No Reptile no buy" aren't minorities. I've seen them on every social media platform I've been on, and even in conversations I've had with coworkers. You need the enticing roster to bring people in. Mortal Kombat doesn't have a good story, it never has. It's always had a good story for a fighting game. And they shouldn't try and sacrifice the fighting game part just for the story. Save that for the Shaolin Monks style side games

Yes, they are the vocal minority.
There were even more people going “No Jade, Noob Saibot, Rain, Sindel, Smoke...no buy,” and when the final spots were revealed for MKX there were a TON of people going “if the cyborgs and Baraka aren’t in I’m not buying,” and yet MKX was the TOP SELLING game of 2015 for 4 months straight.
So, yes, those people barking the loudest about Mileena and Reptile are in the minority, the same as the people who don’t want guest DLC characters, and NRS knows it.
The Steam leak is proof that NRS knows that those people are in the minority and / or will but the game regardless, as it doesn’t seem like NRS in any hurry to speak about those 2 and their chances look slim to none at being in, at this point.

Last edited:
Man, I would be a troll on twitter too if people read 80 layers deep into anything I posted.

The Oscars were last night, they made cheeky MK themed posters for the best picture nominees. Baraka is Roma, Black Dragon instead of Black Panther, and ICE is Vice. It says it star sub-zero and its called ice. There is nothing further to read into it.

220px-Vice_%282018_film_poster%29.png

That's why

They went out of their way to put the Lin Kuei medallion on him so you know it isn't supposed to be Noob

Man, Ed Boon ALWAYS wins.

If you read that it has Lin Kuei's medallion and that's Sub-Zero, you know it's not Noob, so you wonder if he isn't in.

You may also think he chose Sub-Zero as black exactly to tease Noob. But also to konfirm Noob, maybe to pretend he's confirming.

Ed Boon always wins, it's incredible how troll he is regarding the fact we all pay a lot of attention, and when we go like "yeah, screw this twitter" he totally posts something worthy looking.

There's no way this man cannot win.

Another phenomenal set via the Brazillian players, commentated by Ketchup. This Scorpion player looks like he's had the game for months lol. Those standing 3 anti airs were insane
[MENTION=10998]iViTal[/MENTION]

I love the adaptation you see too. Geras knew exactly when Scorpion was going to throw his spear in his combos, so he'd Break-Away at the right time to make the spear whiff and then punish him. But then Scorpion eventually caught on and started changing his combos mid match so Geras would waste his meter and Scorpion would still be at advantage. This is going to be such a fun game