Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

NRS has been expanding abit by having chapters giving you the choice between two characters in IJ2, and given that MK 11 has been stated to have multiple story paths and endings (allegedly), they might be further expanding on the concept of story choice, though I agree that they should try to revamp the chapter system, as might help give villians a chance to shine and avoid power scaling complaints.

and too many tourney players would about them not being immediately playable.

Tournaments and tourney players would be a non-issue, as all of the characters would be unlocked for them like in MK9 and MKX.
In MK9 and MKX you still had to go through story mode to unlock Cyber Sub-Zero, Quan Chi and Shinnok, respectively, but for tournament purposes all of the characters were unlocked.

The ONLY time that I can recall a character not being allowed for tournaments was MK9 Kratos, because Xbox players didn’t have access to him.

Tournaments and tourney players would be a non-issue, as all of the characters would be unlocked for them like in MK9 and MKX.
In MK9 and MKX you still had to go through story mode to unlock Cyber Sub-Zero, Quan Chi and Shinnok, respectively, but for tournament purposes all of the characters were unlocked.

Hmm, I distinctly remember there being some issues at early MKX tourneys due to Shinnok requiring story mode be completed, and was therefore unavailable, which meant that he was effectively not playable. This obviously caused issues for Shinnok players.

The ONLY time that I can recall a character not being allowed for tournaments was MK9 Kratos, because Xbox players didn’t have access to him.

That wasn't the case. Shujinky-dink used to have to blast through story mode at almost every tournament he went to because he was a Quan Chi player.

Honestly the idea of unlockable fighters is outdated. Having to unlock characters you like by playing characters you don't want to use is such a terrible concept.

Unlockables are awesome, but it should be saved for cosmetics only imo. Which is why MK11 is so exciting. Because of the huge amount of unlockables it has between skins, gear, intros, brutalities, fatalities, taunts and various other details. Let everyone have the same amount of fun on day 1

Hmm, I distinctly remember there being some issues at early MKX tourneys due to Shinnok requiring story mode be completed, and was therefore unavailable, which meant that he was effectively not playable. This obviously caused issues for Shinnok players.

That wasn't the case. Shujinky-dink used to have to blast through story mode at almost every tournament he went to because he was a Quan Chi player.

Really? Wow.
I always thought there was a console that was at these Tournaments that would have the entire roster unlocked for the players.

Unlockables are awesome, but it should be saved for cosmetics only imo. Which is why MK11 is so exciting. Because of the huge amount of unlockables it has between skins, gear, intros, brutalities, fatalities, taunts and various other details. Let everyone have the same amount of fun on day 1

Well, then, some folks are going to be salty if Mileena stays dead, for example.
I was just trying to provide a silver lining as to the character roster size and possible unlockable characters, if the Steam Achievements end up being true.

Unlockables or no, like has been said a million times at this point, we still have 1-2 characters still left to be revealed, so there is still some hope for guys like Shang and Noob to make the base roster. And on the validity of the leak, the fact that so far the acheivements have stopped and the responses some NRS/guys with NRS connections are giving twitter is pretty telling.

Unlockables or no, like has been said a million times at this point, we still have 1-2 characters still left to be revealed, so there is still some hope for guys like Shang and Noob to make the base roster. And on the validity of the leak, the fact that so far the acheivements have stopped and the responses some NRS/guys with NRS connections are giving twitter is pretty telling.

What are they saying?

Jacqui should be a premier skin for Cassie, this will make both sides happy

Yeah but Jacqui plays nothing like Cassie and has her own fighting style. I swear It's crazy how people are this bothered by ONE character. I freaking cannot stand Sheeva but let her be revealed today I'm still going to be hyped for MK11

So, is there a possibility that Dynasty was right about fan favorites being relegated to DLC?

Yeah but Jacqui plays nothing like Cassie and has her own fighting style. I swear It's crazy how people are this bothered by ONE character. I freaking cannot stand Sheeva but let her be revealed today I'm still going to be hyped for MK11

It is not because of one character. It is because another female soldier taking a spot from a unique character. Sheeva actually a unique character that stands out from others

It is not because of one character. It is because another female soldier taking a spot from a unique character. Sheeva actually a unique character that stands out from others

It's not taking another character's spot if Jacqui was already planned to be in the game. Yes I think characters like Rain, Sareena, Noob Saibot, Smoke/Enera, Ermac, and are awesome but I also think Jacqui is an awesome character as well. It would be one thing if Ed had promised everyone Rain and switched him for Jacqui last minute then I would understand the outrage. However if Jacqui was planned to be playable in MK11 since development I fail to see how she took a character's spot. The way many people feel Ermac, Rain, Fujin, etc deserve to be playable in MK11. It's the very same way i feel about Jacqui along with characters like Li Mei, Nitara, Sareena, Kenshi, Jarek, Tasia, and Stryker. Anyways I'm getting tired of the whole back and forth concerning Jacqui. If she's in the game that's awesome and if she's not then life goes on. I really don't understand how folks are letting one character get under their skin much less that very character being Jacqui

Yeah, but I’m wondering if Dynasty was right and that’s why Ed called him out.
The Steam db Achievements page seems to confirm fan favorites being DLC.

But they aren't only dlc, that's what Ed said was BS. The roster still has Jade, Liu, Kung and Kitana coming. They can't cram every single classic character on the roster, so I'm sure some will be there. I just hope it isn't the wildly requested ones like Noob or Mileena

[MENTION=18651]emi_b7[/MENTION]
MK11 is being written with the help of Kittelsen, which is what gives me more hope for the MKX characters in MK11, as we should have even less (or no) plot holes in story mode.
That was the biggest issue that I had with the MKX comics vs MKX story mode: the inconsistency between the 2 mediums.

What inconsistencies? It was just the moment of Ermac changing sides.

Jeesh, you guys should play MK Deception's konquest mode. You'll see inconsistencies there as big as a planet!! And in MK9 as opposed to the original bios too.

But the comic and the MKX game were pretty consistent

The classic we have so far

Confirmed

Sonya
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Scorpion
Raiden
Sub-Zero
Kano
Kabal
Baraka

Practically Confirmed

Johnny Cage
Kitana

That's a pretty great amount of classic fighters so perhaps with the addition of Rain, Noob, and possibly Shang Tsung that's a pretty good start. I can see them having popular favorites like Fujin, Smoke, and Mileena being DLC

The problem is, based off the behind the scenes video and Boon comments (including the ones about not having story characters that aren't playable), the game is about Kronika not liking Raiden mucking with things and folding time back on itself and people fighting themselves. So if you have a roster that only has 1/3 of the classic characters in a game about folding time, its going to make for a oddly barebones feeling story.

Either the roster is bigger than they are letting on or the game is going to feel oddly devoid of important cast members.