Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

I really hope that the whole Armageddon influence isn't true and that they stay away from that plot-point.

They (Midway / NRS) had to reboot the story because they essentially wrote themselves into a corner with Armageddon, and now they're going back to it?
Why?

I don't buy that reasoning.

Well, to be fair... nothing they have done in the new timeline would prevent for Armageddon to happen again. I would like to see a game where they actually do something that would prevent Armageddon.

Well, certain things from Deception are changed now due to this timeline. Like, aren't the Komidogus blades now? Plus, I don't recall hearing anything about Onaga.

Deception, in my opinion, was the worst Mortal Kombat game I've ever played. Some of the characters from that game I would like to see back such as Ashrah and Hotaru, but everything else was trash to me.

Where did you get that idea?

Don't remember what interview it was, but I remember either John Vogel or Shaun Himmerick saying that they wrote Armageddon in that way (at the time) because they were unsure if MK would continue to be made with Midway going bankrupt.

EDIT:

As for the 3D era, I liked DA and Deception.
Armageddon with its half-assed (gameplay) roster, 2-legged Motaro abomination, Kreate-A-Kharacter, Kreate-A-Fatality, and just the overall story for Taven was where Armageddon failed (IMO).

Armageddon felt like Midway was just saying "Fvck it. Here. You do your own fatalities."

The only reason I ever came back to Armageddon was because of Motor Kombat (the mini-game).
Aside from that, I wish that Armageddon never existed.

Don't remember what interview it was, but I remember either John Vogel or Shaun Himmerick saying that they wrote Armageddon in that way (at the time) because they were unsure if MK would continue to be made with Midway going bankrupt.

EDIT:

As for the 3D era, I liked DA and Deception.
Armageddon with its half-assed (gameplay) roster, 2-legged Motaro abomination, Kreate-A-Kharacter, Kreate-A-Fatality, and just the overall story for Taven was where Armageddon failed (IMO).

Armageddon felt like Midway was just saying "Fvck it. Here. You do your own fatalities."

The only reason I ever came back to Armageddon was because of Motor Kombat (the mini-game).
Aside from that, I wish that Armageddon never existed.

But that's not the same as making MK9 because they were at a dead end. The entire game basically revolves around Armageddon. No Armageddon = No MK9 = no reboot = probably no NRS.

Don't get the hate for Armageddon. It's basically a huge fan service video game at a time when the company was on its last legs. Special Forces, Mythologies...Those are the true shitty games.

Last edited:
But that's not the same as making MK9 because they were at a dead end. The entire game basically revolves around Armageddon. No Armageddon = No MK9 = no reboot = probably no NRS.

Don't get the hate for Armageddon. It's basically a huge fan service video game at a time when the company was at its last legs. Special Forces, Mythologies...Those are the true shitty games.

?
The intro to MK9 essentially confirmed that Armageddon was a dead end.
MK9 picks up where Armageddon's story left off, with Raiden and Shao Kahn being the only 2 warriors left alive, so yeah they wrote Armageddon into a dead end.
Armageddon = Shao Kahn rules and everyone is dead, per MK9.
That's the reason that they had to come up with a new timeline / reboot story, with Raiden sending visions to his former self, right before getting his brains bashed in by Shao Kahn in Armageddon.
With the MK games, the next game is what confirms the outcome of the last games' stroy, which is why I always take all of the individual character / ladder endings with a grain of salt, until the next story is told.
Just because I wish that Armageddon didn't exist or was done, doesn't mean that I don't care for the after effects after they were bought out by WB.
1 doesn't = the other.
Plus, we don't know what Midway would have done if they didn't do Armageddon.
Perhaps they would have attempted to do MKvsDC, regardless.
If anything MKvsDC was probably what made WB want to buy Midway out of bankruptcy.

I don't get the hate for Mythologies.
Aside from Motor Kombat, everything else in that Armageddon, from the character gameplay, to the finishers to the "Kreate" features and the story mode felt half-assed and broken, IMO.
At least Mythologies didn't feel half-assed and introduced us to 2 post-MK3 characters like Quan Chi and Fujin, which don't feel generic and boring like Taven (to me).
I'll agree to disagree.

Armageddon is the 3D era MK Trilogy... so all characters in one game. Sadly, with shitty gameplay this time.

That won't be the issue now though when bringing back characters from that era. The modern MK's have great gameplay and it just keeps getting better and better with each game NRS makes. And we've seen NRS take characters from past games who weren't very well-liked and turned them badass in the modern games.

The characters you didn't like then could turn out to become characters you'd like in the next game, should they return. I didn't care for Li Mei at all, but she looks cool in MKX's story mode. All we can do is wait and see, really.

Agreed 100% with this, and I've said time and time again that NRS has proven that any character (Trilogy or not) can get the proper revamp.
That said, I'm hoping they don't go back to the Armageddon story.

I was fine with the way that MKX ended, leading right up to a Deception / Dark Raiden, and with the implication that we may see more post-MK3 debut characters / 3D era characters in the next game. Perfect.

?
The intro to MK9 essentially confirmed that Armageddon was a dead end.
MK9 picks up where Armageddon's story left off, with Raiden and Shao Kahn being the only 2 warriors left alive, so yeah they wrote Armageddon into a dead end.
Armageddon = Shao Kahn rules and everyone is dead, per MK9.
That's the reason that they had to come up with a new timeline / reboot story, with Raiden sending visions to his former self, right before getting his brains bashed in by Shao Kahn in Armageddon.
With the MK games, the next game is what confirms the outcome of the last games' stroy, which is why I always take all of the individual character / ladder endings with a grain of salt, until the next story is told.
Just because I wish that Armageddon didn't exist or was done, doesn't mean that I don't care for the after effects after they were bought out by WB.
1 doesn't = the other.
Plus, we don't know what Midway would have done if they didn't do Armageddon.
Perhaps they would have attempted to do MKvsDC, regardless.
If anything MKvsDC was probably what made WB want to buy Midway out of bankruptcy.

I don't get the hate for Mythologies.
Aside from Motor Kombat, everything else in that Armageddon, from the character gameplay, to the finishers to the "Kreate" features and the story mode felt half-assed and broken, IMO.
At least Mythologies didn't feel half-assed and introduced us to 2 post-MK3 characters like Quan Chi and Fujin, which don't feel generic and boring like Taven (to me).
I'll agree to disagree.

The intro showed that Armageddon is Armageddon. MK9 as is only exists because OF Armageddon, not because they couldn't figure out a way to continue the story so they had to reboot. Would've been completely different games for it not to happen, which extends to MKX as well. Nobody at Midway/NRS has disowned MK:A and it's still canon according to latest games. You're taking this way out of proportion :lol:

It doesn't really matter whether they did or did not know how to continue the story after MKA.
Fact is, they rebooted, but put a twist in it so it seemed like a logical next step from MKA.

Either way, this is a thread about discussing MK11, so do you guys have a point with this discussion?

The intro showed that Armageddon is Armageddon. MK9 as is only exists because OF Armageddon, not because they couldn't figure out a way to continue the story so they had to reboot. Would've been completely different games for it not to happen, which extends to MKX as well. Nobody at Midway/NRS has disowned MK:A and it's still canon according to latest games. You're taking this way out of proportion :lol:

When is Armageddon mentioned in Mkx? It is officially a reboot. They only even mention Armageddon in Mk9 to make it a smooth transition into a reboot.

When is Armageddon mentioned in Mkx? It is officially a reboot. They only even mention Armageddon in Mk9 to make it a smooth transition into a reboot.

MKX would've been a different game if it wasn't for Armageddon, because MK9 would've been different. No idea what's your point later on.

I think what Commander is saying is that NRS literally had no idea what to do about the ending on MKA when they released the game. In the original canon ending, once Taven defeated Blaze he actually made the warriors more powerful (atleast I think so since the Konquest ending never specified the third result). Then it was said that with he would try to find a new solution, which alludes that had Armageddon succeeded, there would've been an actual sequel rather than a soft reboot. Not only that, but it was literally impossible for Shao Kahn to actually defeat Blaze when he was taken far away from the Pyramid. Then with Daegon's ending, they say Armageddon was just a test, showing that they literally don't know if Armageddon should be a real thing or not.

Now, maybe they did know that Armageddon would lead to MK9 because they have been adding a lot of things into MKX that alludes to the possibility that everyone's ending in MKA might be somewhat canon. From Shinnok remembering Armageddon to Kitana's MKX ending which is just a remix of her Armageddon ending and also included the woman from Jade's MK9 ending (which that woman was already alluded to being inside of Jade in her Armageddon ending). So it's really up in the air at this point, but if I put a million dollars on it, Id say Armageddon was suppose to be the end of Mortal Kombat as a whole.

Fact is, they rebooted, but put a twist in it so it seemed like a logical next step from MKA.

Either way, this is a thread about discussing MK11, so do you guys have a point with this discussion?

Precisely.

My point in discussing it was because the YouTube video in the OP mentioned the possibility of an Armageddon plot happening, which I hope doesn't happen again.
No need to go over the same story stuff again.
The timeline changed as of MK9, and I'd like to see MK11 continuing after events of MKX (the new timeline) and not re-hashing the old 3D timeline (Deception and Armageddon).
Even Ed Boon mentioned that MKX wouldn't re-tread old stories but have a new one, which it did, and I hope that we continue getting stories with some of the post-MK3 characters in new situations.
Again, I wouldn't want to see MK11 going over the same stories we've seen in the past.

Here's the excerpt from the Boon interview, regarding MKX not re-trading old stories.......

TRMK: So it's evident that this is not just going to re-tread old story lines like the last game did.

Ed Boon: Right it definitely progresses the story forward.

I think what Commander is saying is that NRS literally had no idea what to do about the ending on MKA when they released the game. In the original canon ending, once Taven defeated Blaze he actually made the warriors more powerful (atleast I think so since the Konquest ending never specified the third result). Then it was said that with he would try to find a new solution, which alludes that had Armageddon succeeded, there would've been an actual sequel rather than a soft reboot. Not only that, but it was literally impossible for Shao Kahn to actually defeat Blaze when he was taken far away from the Pyramid. Then with Daegon's ending, they say Armageddon was just a test, showing that they literally don't know if Armageddon should be a real thing or not.

Now, maybe they did know that Armageddon would lead to MK9 because they have been adding a lot of things into MKX that alludes to the possibility that everyone's ending in MKA might be somewhat canon. From Shinnok remembering Armageddon to Kitana's MKX ending which is just a remix of her Armageddon ending and also included the woman from Jade's MK9 ending (which that woman was already alluded to being inside of Jade in her Armageddon ending). So it's really up in the air at this point, but if I put a million dollars on it, Id say Armageddon was suppose to be the end of Mortal Kombat as a whole.

Yes.
This.
Thank you.

The reason why MK9 was a reboot was not because of MK:A shenanigans, but because of a) Midway was 6 feet under b) They had to make a comeback, wipe the slate clean, as per Ed's own words c) their most successful games were MK1-3 with the most recognizable characters d) reboots were the trend at the time

MK:A was made at the time when Midway was in a financial crisis, they had to cram as much shit as possible for it to sell, and yet as you've noted there were hints at a continuation of the story. MK:A is canon. Besides, we're typing about Mortal Kombat, a video game franchise where everyone who's dead is not really dead.

Last edited:
One thing I can agree on, is that it'll suck major ass if the next game is going to be basically MKX mixed with MK:D/A. I want my SM2, damn it.

Special Forces rooster

photo.jpg