Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 641

Thread: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

  1. #21
    Elder God Commander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Karnaca, Serkonos
    Posts
    14,008
    PSN
    Araknyd03
    Thanked: 2882
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    I really hope that the whole Armageddon influence isn't true and that they stay away from that plot-point.

    They (Midway / NRS) had to reboot the story because they essentially wrote themselves into a corner with Armageddon, and now they're going back to it?
    Why?

    I don't buy that reasoning.

  2. #22
    Defender of EarthRealm
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,218
    Thanked: 1516
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Well, to be fair... nothing they have done in the new timeline would prevent for Armageddon to happen again. I would like to see a game where they actually do something that would prevent Armageddon.

  3. #23
    Lin Kuei Assassin Kitty_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gristol, Dunwall
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,064
    PSN
    Kitty_1205
    Thanked: 718
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Well, certain things from Deception are changed now due to this timeline. Like, aren't the Komidogus blades now? Plus, I don't recall hearing anything about Onaga.

    Deception, in my opinion, was the worst Mortal Kombat game I've ever played. Some of the characters from that game I would like to see back such as Ashrah and Hotaru, but everything else was trash to me.

  4. #24
    Shaolin Monk Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,655
    Thanked: 270
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Deception worse than Special Forces/Mythologies ? ? ?

    ?
    ??
    ???
    ? ? ? ?


    Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    They (Midway / NRS) had to reboot the story because they essentially wrote themselves into a corner with Armageddon
    Where did you get that idea?

  5. #25
    Elder God Commander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Karnaca, Serkonos
    Posts
    14,008
    PSN
    Araknyd03
    Thanked: 2882
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Where did you get that idea?
    Don't remember what interview it was, but I remember either John Vogel or Shaun Himmerick saying that they wrote Armageddon in that way (at the time) because they were unsure if MK would continue to be made with Midway going bankrupt.



    EDIT:

    As for the 3D era, I liked DA and Deception.
    Armageddon with its half-assed (gameplay) roster, 2-legged Motaro abomination, Kreate-A-Kharacter, Kreate-A-Fatality, and just the overall story for Taven was where Armageddon failed (IMO).

    Armageddon felt like Midway was just saying "Fvck it. Here. You do your own fatalities."

    The only reason I ever came back to Armageddon was because of Motor Kombat (the mini-game).
    Aside from that, I wish that Armageddon never existed.

  6. #26
    Shaolin Monk Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,655
    Thanked: 270
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Don't remember what interview it was, but I remember either John Vogel or Shaun Himmerick saying that they wrote Armageddon in that way (at the time) because they were unsure if MK would continue to be made with Midway going bankrupt.



    EDIT:

    As for the 3D era, I liked DA and Deception.
    Armageddon with its half-assed (gameplay) roster, 2-legged Motaro abomination, Kreate-A-Kharacter, Kreate-A-Fatality, and just the overall story for Taven was where Armageddon failed (IMO).

    Armageddon felt like Midway was just saying "Fvck it. Here. You do your own fatalities."

    The only reason I ever came back to Armageddon was because of Motor Kombat (the mini-game).
    Aside from that, I wish that Armageddon never existed.
    But that's not the same as making MK9 because they were at a dead end. The entire game basically revolves around Armageddon. No Armageddon = No MK9 = no reboot = probably no NRS.

    Don't get the hate for Armageddon. It's basically a huge fan service video game at a time when the company was on its last legs. Special Forces, Mythologies...Those are the true shitty games.
    Last edited by Xenon; 09-20-2017 at 12:40 PM.

  7. #27
    Elder God Commander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Karnaca, Serkonos
    Posts
    14,008
    PSN
    Araknyd03
    Thanked: 2882
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    But that's not the same as making MK9 because they were at a dead end. The entire game basically revolves around Armageddon. No Armageddon = No MK9 = no reboot = probably no NRS.

    Don't get the hate for Armageddon. It's basically a huge fan service video game at a time when the company was at its last legs. Special Forces, Mythologies...Those are the true shitty games.
    ?
    The intro to MK9 essentially confirmed that Armageddon was a dead end.
    MK9 picks up where Armageddon's story left off, with Raiden and Shao Kahn being the only 2 warriors left alive, so yeah they wrote Armageddon into a dead end.
    Armageddon = Shao Kahn rules and everyone is dead, per MK9.
    That's the reason that they had to come up with a new timeline / reboot story, with Raiden sending visions to his former self, right before getting his brains bashed in by Shao Kahn in Armageddon.
    With the MK games, the next game is what confirms the outcome of the last games' stroy, which is why I always take all of the individual character / ladder endings with a grain of salt, until the next story is told.
    Just because I wish that Armageddon didn't exist or was done, doesn't mean that I don't care for the after effects after they were bought out by WB.
    1 doesn't = the other.
    Plus, we don't know what Midway would have done if they didn't do Armageddon.
    Perhaps they would have attempted to do MKvsDC, regardless.
    If anything MKvsDC was probably what made WB want to buy Midway out of bankruptcy.


    I don't get the hate for Mythologies.
    Aside from Motor Kombat, everything else in that Armageddon, from the character gameplay, to the finishers to the "Kreate" features and the story mode felt half-assed and broken, IMO.
    At least Mythologies didn't feel half-assed and introduced us to 2 post-MK3 characters like Quan Chi and Fujin, which don't feel generic and boring like Taven (to me).
    I'll agree to disagree.

  8. #28
    Defender of EarthRealm
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,218
    Thanked: 1516
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Armageddon is the 3D era MK Trilogy... so all characters in one game. Sadly, with shitty gameplay this time.

    That won't be the issue now though when bringing back characters from that era. The modern MK's have great gameplay and it just keeps getting better and better with each game NRS makes. And we've seen NRS take characters from past games who weren't very well-liked and turned them badass in the modern games.

    The characters you didn't like then could turn out to become characters you'd like in the next game, should they return. I didn't care for Li Mei at all, but she looks cool in MKX's story mode. All we can do is wait and see, really.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to theincubuslord For This Useful Post:


  10. #29
    Elder God Commander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Karnaca, Serkonos
    Posts
    14,008
    PSN
    Araknyd03
    Thanked: 2882
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Agreed 100% with this, and I've said time and time again that NRS has proven that any character (Trilogy or not) can get the proper revamp.
    That said, I'm hoping they don't go back to the Armageddon story.

    I was fine with the way that MKX ended, leading right up to a Deception / Dark Raiden, and with the implication that we may see more post-MK3 debut characters / 3D era characters in the next game. Perfect.

  11. #30
    Shaolin Monk Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,655
    Thanked: 270
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    ?
    The intro to MK9 essentially confirmed that Armageddon was a dead end.
    MK9 picks up where Armageddon's story left off, with Raiden and Shao Kahn being the only 2 warriors left alive, so yeah they wrote Armageddon into a dead end.
    Armageddon = Shao Kahn rules and everyone is dead, per MK9.
    That's the reason that they had to come up with a new timeline / reboot story, with Raiden sending visions to his former self, right before getting his brains bashed in by Shao Kahn in Armageddon.
    With the MK games, the next game is what confirms the outcome of the last games' stroy, which is why I always take all of the individual character / ladder endings with a grain of salt, until the next story is told.
    Just because I wish that Armageddon didn't exist or was done, doesn't mean that I don't care for the after effects after they were bought out by WB.
    1 doesn't = the other.
    Plus, we don't know what Midway would have done if they didn't do Armageddon.
    Perhaps they would have attempted to do MKvsDC, regardless.
    If anything MKvsDC was probably what made WB want to buy Midway out of bankruptcy.


    I don't get the hate for Mythologies.
    Aside from Motor Kombat, everything else in that Armageddon, from the character gameplay, to the finishers to the "Kreate" features and the story mode felt half-assed and broken, IMO.
    At least Mythologies didn't feel half-assed and introduced us to 2 post-MK3 characters like Quan Chi and Fujin, which don't feel generic and boring like Taven (to me).
    I'll agree to disagree.
    The intro showed that Armageddon is Armageddon. MK9 as is only exists because OF Armageddon, not because they couldn't figure out a way to continue the story so they had to reboot. Would've been completely different games for it not to happen, which extends to MKX as well. Nobody at Midway/NRS has disowned MK:A and it's still canon according to latest games. You're taking this way out of proportion

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Xenon For This Useful Post:


  13. #31
    Defender of EarthRealm
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,218
    Thanked: 1516
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    It doesn't really matter whether they did or did not know how to continue the story after MKA.
    Fact is, they rebooted, but put a twist in it so it seemed like a logical next step from MKA.

    Either way, this is a thread about discussing MK11, so do you guys have a point with this discussion?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to theincubuslord For This Useful Post:


  15. #32
    Black Dragon Recruit Rumble21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Posts
    585
    Thanked: 99
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    The intro showed that Armageddon is Armageddon. MK9 as is only exists because OF Armageddon, not because they couldn't figure out a way to continue the story so they had to reboot. Would've been completely different games for it not to happen, which extends to MKX as well. Nobody at Midway/NRS has disowned MK:A and it's still canon according to latest games. You're taking this way out of proportion
    When is Armageddon mentioned in Mkx? It is officially a reboot. They only even mention Armageddon in Mk9 to make it a smooth transition into a reboot.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumble21 For This Useful Post:


  17. #33
    Shaolin Monk Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,655
    Thanked: 270
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumble21 View Post
    When is Armageddon mentioned in Mkx? It is officially a reboot. They only even mention Armageddon in Mk9 to make it a smooth transition into a reboot.
    MKX would've been a different game if it wasn't for Armageddon, because MK9 would've been different. No idea what's your point later on.

  18. #34
    Shaolin Monk kadell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The States (South)
    Posts
    1,277
    PSN
    therealkadell
    Thanked: 199
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    I think what Commander is saying is that NRS literally had no idea what to do about the ending on MKA when they released the game. In the original canon ending, once Taven defeated Blaze he actually made the warriors more powerful (atleast I think so since the Konquest ending never specified the third result). Then it was said that with he would try to find a new solution, which alludes that had Armageddon succeeded, there would've been an actual sequel rather than a soft reboot. Not only that, but it was literally impossible for Shao Kahn to actually defeat Blaze when he was taken far away from the Pyramid. Then with Daegon's ending, they say Armageddon was just a test, showing that they literally don't know if Armageddon should be a real thing or not.

    Now, maybe they did know that Armageddon would lead to MK9 because they have been adding a lot of things into MKX that alludes to the possibility that everyone's ending in MKA might be somewhat canon. From Shinnok remembering Armageddon to Kitana's MKX ending which is just a remix of her Armageddon ending and also included the woman from Jade's MK9 ending (which that woman was already alluded to being inside of Jade in her Armageddon ending). So it's really up in the air at this point, but if I put a million dollars on it, Id say Armageddon was suppose to be the end of Mortal Kombat as a whole.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to kadell For This Useful Post:


  20. #35
    Elder God Commander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Karnaca, Serkonos
    Posts
    14,008
    PSN
    Araknyd03
    Thanked: 2882
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Quote Originally Posted by theincubuslord View Post
    Fact is, they rebooted, but put a twist in it so it seemed like a logical next step from MKA.

    Either way, this is a thread about discussing MK11, so do you guys have a point with this discussion?
    Precisely.

    My point in discussing it was because the YouTube video in the OP mentioned the possibility of an Armageddon plot happening, which I hope doesn't happen again.
    No need to go over the same story stuff again.
    The timeline changed as of MK9, and I'd like to see MK11 continuing after events of MKX (the new timeline) and not re-hashing the old 3D timeline (Deception and Armageddon).
    Even Ed Boon mentioned that MKX wouldn't re-tread old stories but have a new one, which it did, and I hope that we continue getting stories with some of the post-MK3 characters in new situations.
    Again, I wouldn't want to see MK11 going over the same stories we've seen in the past.

    Here's the excerpt from the Boon interview, regarding MKX not re-trading old stories.......

    TRMK: So it's evident that this is not just going to re-tread old story lines like the last game did.

    Ed Boon: Right it definitely progresses the story forward.


    Quote Originally Posted by kadell View Post
    I think what Commander is saying is that NRS literally had no idea what to do about the ending on MKA when they released the game. In the original canon ending, once Taven defeated Blaze he actually made the warriors more powerful (atleast I think so since the Konquest ending never specified the third result). Then it was said that with he would try to find a new solution, which alludes that had Armageddon succeeded, there would've been an actual sequel rather than a soft reboot. Not only that, but it was literally impossible for Shao Kahn to actually defeat Blaze when he was taken far away from the Pyramid. Then with Daegon's ending, they say Armageddon was just a test, showing that they literally don't know if Armageddon should be a real thing or not.

    Now, maybe they did know that Armageddon would lead to MK9 because they have been adding a lot of things into MKX that alludes to the possibility that everyone's ending in MKA might be somewhat canon. From Shinnok remembering Armageddon to Kitana's MKX ending which is just a remix of her Armageddon ending and also included the woman from Jade's MK9 ending (which that woman was already alluded to being inside of Jade in her Armageddon ending). So it's really up in the air at this point, but if I put a million dollars on it, Id say Armageddon was suppose to be the end of Mortal Kombat as a whole.
    Yes.
    This.
    Thank you.

  21. #36
    Shaolin Monk Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,655
    Thanked: 270
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Quote Originally Posted by kadell View Post
    I think what Commander is saying is that NRS literally had no idea what to do about the ending on MKA when they released the game. In the original canon ending, once Taven defeated Blaze he actually made the warriors more powerful (atleast I think so since the Konquest ending never specified the third result). Then it was said that with he would try to find a new solution, which alludes that had Armageddon succeeded, there would've been an actual sequel rather than a soft reboot. Not only that, but it was literally impossible for Shao Kahn to actually defeat Blaze when he was taken far away from the Pyramid. Then with Daegon's ending, they say Armageddon was just a test, showing that they literally don't know if Armageddon should be a real thing or not.

    Now, maybe they did know that Armageddon would lead to MK9 because they have been adding a lot of things into MKX that alludes to the possibility that everyone's ending in MKA might be somewhat canon. From Shinnok remembering Armageddon to Kitana's MKX ending which is just a remix of her Armageddon ending and also included the woman from Jade's MK9 ending (which that woman was already alluded to being inside of Jade in her Armageddon ending). So it's really up in the air at this point, but if I put a million dollars on it, Id say Armageddon was suppose to be the end of Mortal Kombat as a whole.
    The reason why MK9 was a reboot was not because of MK:A shenanigans, but because of a) Midway was 6 feet under b) They had to make a comeback, wipe the slate clean, as per Ed's own words c) their most successful games were MK1-3 with the most recognizable characters d) reboots were the trend at the time

    MK:A was made at the time when Midway was in a financial crisis, they had to cram as much shit as possible for it to sell, and yet as you've noted there were hints at a continuation of the story. MK:A is canon. Besides, we're typing about Mortal Kombat, a video game franchise where everyone who's dead is not really dead.
    Last edited by Xenon; 09-20-2017 at 04:27 PM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Xenon For This Useful Post:


  23. #37
    Defender of EarthRealm
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,218
    Thanked: 1516
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    At this point, you guys are just going "I'm right, you're wrong", when it truly is insignificant.

  24. #38
    Shaolin Monk Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,655
    Thanked: 270
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    One thing I can agree on, is that it'll suck major ass if the next game is going to be basically MKX mixed with MK:D/A. I want my SM2, damn it.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Xenon For This Useful Post:


  26. #39
    BANALITY
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    262
    Thanked: 44
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    I shiver at those rumors...

    No Rain and Skarlet mention at all? Jax coming back WITH Jacqui? Hell no. Please no.

    Be false, that is all I care about.

    Please MK11, be like Deception, and not like Deadly Alliance. Make some bizarre character appear, MKX was a horrid human Special Forces roster, turn MK11 into a monstrous, cool magical roster like Deception without the boring characters such as Dairou and Darrius of course. No more kids from other character, keep it with the ones you used already, or kill them off (even better)
    Last edited by Rhizodus; 09-21-2017 at 02:52 PM.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhizodus For This Useful Post:


  28. #40
    Lin Kuei Assassin Kitty_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Gristol, Dunwall
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,064
    PSN
    Kitty_1205
    Thanked: 718
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 rumours

    Armageddon sucks.

    There.

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kitty_55 For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 06:39 PM
  2. Mortal Kombat: Rise of Darkness (Mortal Kombat/Killzone Fanfiction)
    By YautjaSanta in forum Mortal Kombat Writing & Fan Fiction
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
  3. Check out my Mini 5" Dedicated Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 Arcades
    By KornKombat in forum Mortal Kombat 3 & Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM
  4. Predator Rumours
    By ChiefThunder in forum Movies & Television
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 04:05 AM
  5. Mortal Kombat Devestation = Mortal Kombat Domination?
    By Sapphire in forum Mortal Kombat General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2005, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •