New Mortal Kombat (reboot) movie coming....

Should Chrome be in MK movie?

• Total voters
Okay, I am waiting for a new MK movie since the third landed in development hell. My thoughts on a reboot would be:

- Don't try to relocate the MK Universe into reality. MK Rebirth trailer was ok, but it won't be possible to tell this story without other worlds but Earthrealm. It's not a problem to create parallel worlds only Shaolin or other ancient cultures knew about (MK tournament, sending best fighters to protect Earthrealm). Almost every fighter has super moves as well.

- Make it R-rated. No humor, unless it's Johnny Cage. It's not Marvel. I imagine "The Raid"-styled movie with excellent fighting choreography. Fighting is what MK is about, isn't it? Make it dark and brutal.

- No need to have a "star cast". One or two famous actors that suit their characters is enough. The main focus should lie on character portraying. Masked or other unrecognizable characters should be played by real fighting artists (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Baraka, Shokans etc.). Famous actors that would fit their characters would be Rain as Liu Kang or even Jason Statham as Kano. Iko Uwais from Raid could play Kung Lao, he even looks like Paolo Montablan from Conquest.

- Since it's a reboot the story has to be about the 10th MK tournament. It is impossible to put all the MK9 events into one movie. Don't forget that MK9 is actually MK1, MK2 and MK3 storyline. Annihilation tried to put Shao Kahn's story and all the characters into one movie. You know what we got.

What do you think?

a) They're probably going to Earthrealm and Outworld again. After all, for a reboot you gotta play it safe. It can look good if they use more practical effects.

b) Unlikely. PG-13. It's a reboot. They want to sell as many tickets as they can. MK is pretty much an unknown low profile property in Hollywood.

c) Same as above. New property. They will need at least one or two famous actors to bring in the crowds. A mix of veterans and newcomers, with a MK1/2 movie actor cameo, would be okay.

d) Agreed. It will be MK1 movie over again with a twist. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually copied MK9.

This movie is probably gonna blow. Why?
A) The film industry is completely inconsistent. Too frequently I see good franchises turned to shit (Ghostbusters, Star Wars (yes I hated Episode 7.)).
B) Mortal Kombat as a movie...Think about it. The webseries blew major ass. Cringe dialogue, "realism", "darkness", god awful fight choreography and (aids)Skrillex music. What made the first movie so good? Well...it had humor for start. "The faith of billions depend upon you...".
C) If MKX story mode is of any warning, it shows that MK doesn't really work when it tries to put some lovey-dovey, serious stuff as a narrative. Unfortunately that's the trend right now. So "dark" and "serious" there's no soul.
D) Fight choreography. MK1 was brilliant for its time, still a very fun movie to watch just for the fights. Unfortunately I haven't seen much improvement over the years. In fact it's all Crouching Tigers Hidden Wires as of late, with very few exceptions like Undisputed (i was laughing my head off watching undefeated and accidentally mixed those two up).
E) Call me negative but getting hyped up these days over video games or films only leads to disappointment. So I'd rather be skeptical.
F) And of course they'll ram in some PC bullshit because trends = quick buck.

Last edited:
My major problem with blockbuster movies nowadays is that the studios try to appeal to everybody, any sex or age. It makes no sense to make a MK movie that is PG-13. Deadpool has shown that it's important to stick to the topic. This is why I think that a MK movie should stick to the source material. No MK movie, R-Rated or PG-13, will ever be as successful as Titanic or Avatar and it doesn't have to. At least there would be a real Mortal Kombat movie no one is ashamed of. In order to have less pressure on box office the studio should hire less "stars" and more newcomers. Masked or unrecognizable characters should be professional fighters anyways. "Stars" like Megan Fox, who wants to play Kitana, would create another trash movie. I want female fighters to be played by real fighting women, not by oversexed looking girls. Sonya should look like a soldier, Kitana like an assassin.
[MENTION=17921]Mr. Ice[/MENTION]: Mortal Kombat is not that unpopular. For example in Russia and other former soviet countries MK is a 90s cult. It is the most controversial fighting game in the world. I am sure that a R-rated MK movie would be more successful than PG-13. At least they could make two versions: theatrical (PG-13) with cut violence scenes and a director's cut on Blu Ray 100% uncut. I really want a Raid-styled MK movie.

My cast would look like this:

Liu Kang - Rain (from Ninja Assassin) or Shin Koyamada
Kung Lao - Iko Uwais (from Raid)
Sonya Blade - Ronda Rousey (UFC)
Johnny Cage - Scott Adkins, no need to be a stunt double in a movie about fighting
Jax - Michael J. Fox
Scorpion - Ian Anthony Dale or Peter Shinkoda (Nobu from Daredevil, he uses a spear in season 1)
Sub-Zero - Byung-hun Lee
Kano - Jason Statham
Shang Tsung (young) - Hiroyuki Sanada (villain from Wolverine) or Peter Shinkoda (Nobu from Daredevil)
Shang Tsung (old) - Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (of course)
Raiden - Christopher Lambert would be cool. Or... Which actor would fit?

EDIT: This article could be mine. Same opinion: http://nerdist.com/7-things-we-want-to-see-in-a-mortal-kombat-movie-reboot/

Last edited:
What? How female fighters look makes barely any difference if the movie is going to be trash or not. Don't over exaggerate this.
A) They are the minority of the cast. Even in your post there are only 2 females.
B) They are the minority of the audience. MK target audience is male.
Unless the movie goes full PC and decide to bomb at the box office, I don't see it having a female lead nor them having a huge emphasis in the movie. As for "sexing up" well prepare to be disappointed because the original games and more importantly John Tobias started this. You either stick to the source material or not.

As for actors, you contradict yourself. You bash someone like Megan Fox and "stars", but then put in actors like Scott Adkins, who as much as I like as a fighter and Undisputed, his acting skills are cardboard-cutout levels. I remember watching that ninja movie, it was so bad. Michael J White is also a "star", and Ian Anthony Dale (lightweight cardboard) is the star of the stars, but apparently some stars are better stars than the others.

Out of interest, what's Ronda's acting resume? Other than being propped up on TV...Yeah, not really impressive...

What can kill this movie? Bad script. Bad acting. Bad fight choreography. Bad direction. Bad production quality. Bad music. Bad management. Like I've mentioned in my previous post, the current film industry is just a huge mess. Too many franchises are being exploited for a quick buck.

Edit: I just thought of something else regarding source material. If this is going to be a reboot, then God almighty stop dicking around with character bios. Liu Kang a drunkard who's pissed because his GF got killed? Come on...................

Edit2: James Wan is producing this. So we can either expect a new Saw or simply Shit.

Last edited:
What? How female fighters look makes barely any difference if the movie is going to be trash or not. Don't over exaggerate this.

Ok, it is not what I meant. I just don't want an actress that looks nothing like she could fight a man. Sonya is a SF soldier, with big boobs in some games, ok. But still.

In case of this cast. I still think that masked characters should be played by fighters. The actors I listed are for a possible unmasked appearance. And still they are not stars like other Hollywood actors.

I know what you think about the industry. I also hated the latest reboobts, sequels, prequels, sequel-prequel-reboobts etc. Star Wars VII was another movie to get the attention from a younger generation, basically being a remake of the New Hope. I won't say anything about Ghostbusters...

Ok, it is not what I meant. I just don't want an actress that looks nothing like she could fight a man. Sonya is a SF soldier, with big boobs in some games, ok. But still.

In case of this cast. I still think that masked characters should be played by fighters. The actors I listed are for a possible unmasked appearance. And still they are not stars like other Hollywood actors.

I know what you think about the industry. I also hated the latest reboobts, sequels, prequels, sequel-prequel-reboobts etc. Star Wars VII was another movie to get the attention from a younger generation, basically being a remake of the New Hope. I won't say anything about Ghostbusters...

When you played Mortal Kombat 1, did you honestly believe that Sonya was supposed to be some sort of soldier? I thought she was some fitness trainer gone rogue. It's only when reading the bio/ending it made obvious. What do boobs have to do with someone's ability to fight anyways?

The argument "she should look like she can fight a man" works both ways. While it's a legit concern, there are barely to none any women who can fight a trained man. That's why loudmouth Rousey still hasn't fought a man in a ring - she'd get destroyed. So who should they cast then? And why such specific criteria?

And yeah New Hope Remix really left a bad taste in my mouth...Ghostbusters is simply a disaster. Glad we agree.

Of course we will need to have some stars on the movie - otherwise, it will flop harder than Annihilation. And they need to deliver those stars to most famous characters, such as Johhny Cage, Kitana, Raiden, Sonya and even Sub-Zero or Scorpion (yes, they're masked but they can take it off anytime).

ok here's a way to make some fun fight choreography that won't suck
1) hire a bunch of asians
2) do this without the shaky (vomit) cam

as ridiculous as that fight is, it totally fits mortal kombat
it also has a chrome cameo (bat)

Last edited:
ok here's a way to make some fun fight choreography that won't suck
1) hire a bunch of asians
2) do this without the shaky (vomit) cam

as ridiculous as that fight is, it totally fits mortal kombat
it also has a chrome cameo (bat)

this^ i think getting the choreograpy right is super important if its too over the top you end up with killbill nonesense, mainly the end part when they are fighting with blades would fit an MK movie

also id love to see monsters like baraka fighting in outworld but have it feel real and not silly over the top. something like this

this^ i think getting the choreograpy right is super important if its too over the top you end up with killbill nonesense, mainly the end part when they are fighting with blades would fit an MK movie

also id love to see monsters like baraka fighting in outworld but have it feel real and not silly over the top. something like this

that was a fun clip, no vomit cam, no wires, and easy to follow
it's too bad that the big guy lost i mean come on :( the cliche is still alive and kicking, bigguylivesmatter

btw if the movie is gonna have skinny scorpion and skinny sub-zero i'll be disappointed
j6EGb8Z.jpg

SOURCE MATERIAL right here

also voted yes for chrome because no chrome = no movie

Last edited:
yea that's my problem with movies which claim to be based around source material
they take some skinny nerd and have him play as a video game character who look nothing alike
i mean how hard can it be to find an arnold lookalike these days?

I'd like the fight scenes to use moves from the games like how the MKX Announce Trailer does.

Last edited:
yea that's my problem with movies which claim to be based around source material
they take some skinny nerd and have him play as a video game character who look nothing alike
i mean how hard can it be to find an arnold lookalike these days?

Arnold as Shao Khan :) that would be perfect role for him

My major problem with blockbuster movies nowadays is that the studios try to appeal to everybody, any sex or age. It makes no sense to make a MK movie that is PG-13. Deadpool has shown that it's important to stick to the topic. This is why I think that a MK movie should stick to the source material. No MK movie, R-Rated or PG-13, will ever be as successful as Titanic or Avatar and it doesn't have to. At least there would be a real Mortal Kombat movie no one is ashamed of. In order to have less pressure on box office the studio should hire less "stars" and more newcomers. Masked or unrecognizable characters should be professional fighters anyways. "Stars" like Megan Fox, who wants to play Kitana, would create another trash movie. I want female fighters to be played by real fighting women, not by oversexed looking girls. Sonya should look like a soldier, Kitana like an assassin.
[MENTION=17921]Mr. Ice[/MENTION]: Mortal Kombat is not that unpopular. For example in Russia and other former soviet countries MK is a 90s cult. It is the most controversial fighting game in the world. I am sure that a R-rated MK movie would be more successful than PG-13. At least they could make two versions: theatrical (PG-13) with cut violence scenes and a director's cut on Blu Ray 100% uncut. I really want a Raid-styled MK movie.

My cast would look like this:

Liu Kang - Rain (from Ninja Assassin) or Shin Koyamada
Kung Lao - Iko Uwais (from Raid)
Sonya Blade - Ronda Rousey (UFC)
Johnny Cage - Scott Adkins, no need to be a stunt double in a movie about fighting
Jax - Michael J. Fox
Scorpion - Ian Anthony Dale or Peter Shinkoda (Nobu from Daredevil, he uses a spear in season 1)
Sub-Zero - Byung-hun Lee
Kano - Jason Statham
Shang Tsung (young) - Hiroyuki Sanada (villain from Wolverine) or Peter Shinkoda (Nobu from Daredevil)
Shang Tsung (old) - Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (of course)
Raiden - Christopher Lambert would be cool. Or... Which actor would fit?

EDIT: This article could be mine. Same opinion: http://nerdist.com/7-things-we-want-to-see-in-a-mortal-kombat-movie-reboot/

Nice.

Extended Cast:
Kitana- Sam Jo
Jade- Nicole Scherzinger
Tanya- Rihanna
Cassie Cage- Jennifer Lawrence
Jacque Briggs- Tinashe (She has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.)
Takeda- Nick Jonas
King Jin- Jon Foo
Sindel- Angelina Jolie or Natassia Malthe

Last edited:
I'd also like it if Britney Spears be a new character in the series (similar to Alice from the Resident Evil series).

Her character can be another love interest of Johnny Cage in Hollywood but she gets slain when Earthrealm is invaded. She is then resurrected as a revenant of Quan Chi and brainwashed that Johnny had replaced her with Sonya. She then goes berserk and is given powers that can cause massive destruction, posing her as a threat against the protagonists. Or maybe she can be Sareena or Kia.