Midget Kombat

NinjaNinja

Just something that really bugs me about MKX

why do alll the characters look like little weedy kids :/

I just don't get it. Kitana and mileena look around 15 years old. cage looks so short and stubby. the females don't look like women at all they look like little girls and the males are either short and wide or look anorexic (ermac, takida) . even predator looks like weedy weakling :/

I get that people complained that in MK9 everyone was too Buff but this is ridiculous MKX is the complete opposite, surely theres a happy medium?. I mean look at soul calibur the character models and proportions are great especially the women they look very woman like, pretty and mature with curves etc rather than looking like little skinny teenagers like the MKX women do.

does anyone else notice this? injustice had the same problem.. a game about superheroes with tiny character models?? it just makes no sense and its a shame because NRS's 2D artists are great and some of the designs and costumes this time round are awesome but whoever is translating all that into 3D need fired imo the character models in MKX are just terrible not to mention they all look like ugly wet dummies

I hope the next game steps it up and we finally get rid of this Midget Kombat

midget kombat.jpg

Last edited:
I can't really say it bothers me..then again I'm a short person myself lol. I always thought characters in most video games were extremely tall; like 5'10" - 6'5" on average (male & female). So, compared to most games, yes they look a bit short.

The comparison pictures are scaled differently. The background in MKX is a lot more prominent than SC's. Mileena and Cage in that picture are standing much farther apart than Ivy and Maxi. While Maxi is fairly average compared to other men in SC, Ivy is arguably the tallest among the women.

Didn't you create a thread like this before?
Anyways, yes, in MKX they nerfed the females to the point where they look like school girls after a prom who got lost in a dark alley. I have a few problems with this:
1) It screws up the gameplay. The female's hitbox is the smallest. So basically you get an advantage for simply picking a gender. Wouldn't be a problem if there were some attributes to balance this, such as less damage, speed, or health. But of course, in NRS true balancing fashion, for example, Kitana at the moment hits like a truck (Kotal Kahn cries in the corner; "she needs it!!"). Speed is great too, and health is exactly the same as everyone else. This by far is the biggest problem.

2) It shows that NRS is not confident in their designs. MK9 got called out by a group of professional victims for boobage. So what's NRS next move? Instead of bringing in new characters to satisfy this vocal minority, they change the classic cast to the point you don't recognize them anymore. Since when Ermac was a skinny kid who looks like he'd die when his face collides with Scorpion's fist?

3) They went overboard. Now I'll nerd out a bit on this since I worked with MK9/MKX models for animation/rendering purposes. In MK9, they had two base models for humans: one male, one female. That's why all females look exactly the same bar the head and costume. In MK9, the Normal Maps (textures that contain 3D details) were much, MUCH more detailed than MKX. In fact, in MKX they're mostly flat, and that's why the females look muddy with no muscles or whatnot; because they simply don't have them painted in. A nerf that makes no sense from a "realism" standpoint, nor a technical standpoint. Height wise the females were slightly shorter than the males in MK9. By the way, the 1 female-base-for-all comes back in MKX only this time they changed cup sizes (how sad is this), rich with anatomical errors...

Design wise I think they tried to make them look sexy while being strong. Look at Jade's fcking arms, legs and pretty much the entire body - it's shredded, triceps, quads, biceps and abs, but not to the point where she looks like a bodybuilder. The added jumbo rack and ass only highlighted her femininity. And this is where the problem of the landwhales arise, which is funny because they promote "body positivity" while doing sloot walks with their A cups hanging around.

4) NRS not being NRS. What is MK known for? Telling all the PC bullshit to fck off. But instead NRS caves in to a minority with no purchasing power; they don't even play the game in the first place. "Realism" in Mortal Kombat, especially when MKX is probably the most unrealistic game to date...Get outta here.

5) The double standard. Some of the guys look like they came straight outta Magic Fcking Mike. Doesn't apply to the females. No outrage from the SJWs, only praise.

6) It simply looks dumb. Put Scorpion, Kotal, Jax, Tremor, Torr near by any of the females. How on Earth is this realistic? It's not realistic, it's autistic.

Last edited:
Even in MK9, characters had different hurtbox sizes. Mileena had a small hurtbox, but it wasn't enough to make her a dominant character.

they were slightly smaller thus barely noticeable, unlike in mkx where the difference is like night and day. hell in my experience even torr's hitbox seems screwed up when i play as kotal. by the way, hitbox and hurtbox are different.

767796813feb298b63c981874d403e25.jpg

Just a pic to get rid of the other preview lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

they were slightly smaller thus barely noticeable, unlike in mkx where the difference is like night and day. hell in my experience even torr's hitbox seems screwed up when i play as kotal. by the way, hitbox and hurtbox are different.

A hurtbox is an area where you can take damage. Hitbox is an area that will usually cause damage when it comes in contact with the hurtbox. Can we argree on that? I seen people use hurtbox and hitbox interchangeably (which might be true for certain games), so I want to make that clear.

In the grand scheme of things, a hitbox is just one property that an attack has. You can have a attack with good damage and a large hitbox, but if the startup and recovery frames are too long, it may not be a move you want to throw out all the time. Conversely, an attack with less damage smaller effective range, but faster startup and safe on block might be more reliable.

I did a quick and dirty head-to-body ratio comparison.

The MK9 women are Amazons by comparison. the MK9 version is about 9 heads tall, definitely above average. It might actually be closer to 8, since the tilting of her head may skewed the measurement, although that is still pretty tall.

Her MKX version is about 7 heads tall, which isn't that short either.

Attachments

• mkx9mil.jpg
    mkx9mil.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

here, a much better picture
aagjmx.jpg

you can't do a proper measurement in that picture since a) the models are not scaled properly, mkx mil's head is humongous compared to mk9 mil's b) different poses c) mk9 mileena stands behind mkx mileena

here, head size scaling (actually i think mkx should still be smaller if we go by 1:1 head comparison but that would literally be a midget) and same plane:
2urasee.jpg

lol

as far as hitbox/hurtbox i have no idea what you're trying to prove but here http://i.stack.imgur.com/pmn53.jpg
edit: right i think i understand now, looks like i mixed up the word hitbox with hurtbox in my original rant.

Last edited:
here, head size scaling (actually i think mkx should still be smaller if we go by 1:1 head comparison but that would literally be a midget) and same plane:
2urasee.jpg

lol

yeah this pic comparison is exactly what I mean. jade looks like a mature woman here in her mid 30s
and kitana looks like a 12year old.

I hope they address this in future games imo its a huge unacceptable fail in terms of design and presentation

The MK9 women are unusually tall, just a shade shorter than the men. Their MKX counterparts are just average.

Last edited:
The entire "realism" debacle did.
There's nothing unusual in a tall female. Especially when she's an alien from another universe. You know what's unusual? Having highschool girls with no physical training whatsoever compete in mortal kombat. In a realistic video game.
Anyways I wasted too much time over here.

The height of a character model doesn't matter, as long it fits aesthetically with everything else in the game. Comparing the height from one game with another is completely useless information. Instead you should compare them with the OTHER models in the SAME game, to show how it looks like compared to those.

How does an MKX male model's height look like compared to that of one from MK9? If NRS made ALL the models smaller than the last game, having the same height difference between those as there is with the female models, then the difference between the two games is irrelevant.

How does an MKX male model's height look like compared to that of one from MK9? If NRS made ALL the models smaller than the last game, having the same height difference between those as there is with the female models, then the difference between the two games is irrelevant.

the characters still look like little weedy midgets though even without comparing it to MK9 or other games. just in its own universe the males look short and wide like they have a growth problem and the females look like midgets

Best online forum thread ever :lol: Those arms legit look like toothpicks :lol: Probably would snap as soon as winds reach 7km/s :lol: Thanks bot for bump :lol: