60+ combatant character roster...?

DeBane

Given Injustice 2 looks to make only minor 'innovations' on the formula established by the first game - attribute-modifying clothing, some small mechanical additions / subtractions - should it not be reasonable to expect that the game contain most, if not all the characters from the prior game?

That is to say, all that would be required is a character selection screen expansion and the changes made for '2', incorporated for the characters from '1'. I know there's a little more to it than that, but the basic premise of the argument is sound.

My point being, if they release the game with the same-ish size roster (or smaller... if SFV is any canary in the coal mine), then people are going to cry 'cheap cash in'. Worse yet, if many of those characters are from '1' (a given), it will only exacerbate peoples' anger. However, if the game launched with most or all of the first game's combatants - or, at very least, assurances that an expansive roster was forthcoming - I think people might overlook the 'Injustice v1.0.0.1' look and [seeming] feel of the game, knowing that it at least would sport a character compliment in the realm of MvC3's or KoFXIV's.

What I suspect, though, is that Netherregion will likely settle for a roster of the same size or smaller than was present in '1' (perhaps by half-a-dozen characters or so) and rest on their 'But we've given you some armours to play about with, effectively making each character = one hunded!' laurels. Then, of course, Boon droogs will accept this illogical thinking and dismiss anyone who calls such racekteering out for what it is, 'trolls'. -Baba Vagna

It'll be 28 Characters. As for people getting mad if the roster is mostly Injustice 1 characters...not at all. Heck, most people were upset that they included a lot of new characters in Mortal Kombat X rather than replacing them with Smoke, Cyrax, Sektor, Noob Saibot, Rain, Baraka, Freddy, and Sindel. The casual gamers wouldn't care. Even though some of the fake outrage youtubers who apparently are huge fans of every game that gets hated will make videos about how it's Injustice 1.5, it's not gonna impact the game at all. Based on what they've shown so far, I'm guessing they're gonna do like MKX and have about 10-12 non-injustice 1 characters.

It'll be 28 Characters. As for people getting mad if the roster is mostly Injustice 1 characters...not at all. Heck, most people were upset that they included a lot of new characters in Mortal Kombat X rather than replacing them with Smoke, Cyrax, Sektor, Noob Saibot, Rain, Baraka, Freddy, and Sindel. The casual gamers wouldn't care. Even though some of the fake outrage youtubers who apparently are huge fans of every game that gets hated will make videos about how it's Injustice 1.5, it's not gonna impact the game at all. Based on what they've shown so far, I'm guessing they're gonna do like MKX and have about 10-12 non-injustice 1 characters.

He's talking about how the I1 characters are mostly recycled assets, people will be mad if the majority of the cast feels copied and pasted

Boon said the storyline continues from the first installment so there's a good chance Joker won't be in at least? Perhaps my memory fails me , but didn't Superman kill him? And this isn't MK where death is never permanent. I wish he could make the roster, but I'm being realistic.

As far as how many characters there will be , Boon said a larger roster size. If you look at the select screen during the gameplay videos, it looks larger to me. Some of the silhouettes seem a bit whacky, but they could be changed at any time.

I'm thinking this is gonna be the roster so far, based on story and allegiance. If no Main Timeline version is gonna intervene this time:

Remnants of One-Earth Regime:
Superman
Wonder Woman
Nightwing (Damian Wayne)
Black Adam
Cyborg

Reformed Justice League:
Batman
Flash
Harley Quinn
Zatanna
Doctor Fate

Others:
Gorilla Grodd
Atrocitus
Aquaman
Deathstroke

Unknown:
Supergirl
Hawkgirl
Raven

Waiting for more info on the roster trailers.
[MENTION=10224]BassCase26[/MENTION]: Yes. Superman did kill Joker.

Characters not making into roster:
Shazam
Green Arrow
Lex Luthor
Joker
Huntress
Beast Boy
Heat Wave
Weather Wizard
Swamp Thing

No character really dies in DC, not as long as the Multiverse exists. One Joker died, but iirc the other one is alright. And if he isn't, there's an infinite number who can take his place

I love NRS... I love Injustice 1 and MKX, But i dont think ill be buying Injustice 2. I mean its basically Injustice 1 with just the gear system added... i thinks its pretty lame. I mean the graphics are GORGEOUS but... i dont like the fact that Batman and all of them play exactly the same as in Injustice 1... i cant even believe NRS is doing this... look at all the MK games past UMK3.... every character played completely different in every game after. Different combos, different feel completely... but now look at Injustice 2... man they should have just called it Injustice 1.5 like for duck sakes. And REALLY?!?!? you couldnt have atleast 2 SUPERS per character? Wtd?.. And where the duck is tag team YET AGAIN... That was what made MK9 shine in my heart... oh and Freddy being playable. Lol

Last edited:
No character really dies in DC, not as long as the Multiverse exists. One Joker died, but iirc the other one is alright. And if he isn't, there's an infinite number who can take his place

This multiverse stuff is really silly. Like 3rd grade silly. It makes me throw up. The sooner this game passes, the better. The NRS team will work on the next title of the game I love: Mortal Kombat!

This multiverse stuff is really silly. Like 3rd grade silly. It makes me throw up. The sooner this game passes, the better. The NRS team will work on the next title of the game I love: Mortal Kombat!

It's better than Mortal Kombat's spin on death. Where it flat out doesn't exist.

So it looks like they are skipping the variation styles for this game. Therefore, they can make more characters be playable. In MK11, I'd want only 2 variations for each character so more characters can be playable!

It's better than Mortal Kombat's spin on death. Where it flat out doesn't exist.

Mortal Kombat has a great Netherrealm ruled by warlords and demons which stands for the Hell in many religions. It is awesome and wonderful in exploring.

The DC Universe has the same people in a multiverse that s a bad episode of Star Trek.

Really, MK's life and death situations are the result of magic and interference of higher beings, DC's are the result of badly reading the string theory and coming up with a plot for children to go crazy

For a fighting game, I think MK's spin on death is perfect. It means that every character could return at any time, unless something drastic happens to them, like with Shao Kahn who was obliterated from existence and not just killed.

This is a fighting game, first and foremost, after all. You write a story that fits the roster, not make a roster that fits the story. And if you're a good writer, you can make a character who has died return in a great fashion that befits the canon story.

The same rules apply to superheroes in comic books. Hence why Superman has already died so many times, but not really died after all... because killing off a liked and popular character and never bring it back again will only mean a decline of readers. And if you're a good writer, you make sure the character returns in a way that makes sense according to the canon story.

So yes, ALOT of characters in Injustice died, but only on the Regime-Universe side. That's the cool thing about the Multiverse, a character can always return one way or the other, if needed.

E.g., Mileena is a really popular and well-liked character. To think she would never return... that would just alienate a large group of fans.

So to spin this back to the main topic - this means every character has a possibility to return to the roster, even if they had died in the previous game/comic. If the devs want a certain character to be on the roster, then the character will be on the roster, and then the writers will give a reason for it in the story. That's how it works.

So it looks like they are skipping the variation styles for this game. Therefore, they can make more characters be playable. In MK11, I'd want only 2 variations for each character so more characters can be playable!

Lol. Do you really think a 3rd variation takes up that much more space on the disc? No. Lol. Its all just programing. The character models are practically the same. The only thing different from variation to variation is one or 2 special moves and a combo or two... thats all. Like what they do is record all the mocap moves and then split them up between variations... They could have probably had 6 variations for each character and still have enough space on the disc for 10 more fighters. And even when people say "oh its like your playing with 3 different scorpions" ummmm no its not. Its 1 scorpion but they copied and pasted him twice and made tiny alterations to each. its not 3 completely different scorpions. Lol

Last edited:
I love NRS... I love Injustice 1 and MKX, But i dont think ill be buying Injustice 2. I mean its basically Injustice 1 with just the gear system added... i thinks its pretty lame. I mean the graphics are GORGEOUS but... i dont like the fact that Batman and all of them play exactly the same as in Injustice 1... i cant even believe NRS is doing this... look at all the MK games past UMK3.... every character played completely different in every game after. Different combos, different feel completely... but now look at Injustice 2... man they should have just called it Injustice 1.5 like for sakes. And REALLY?!?!? you couldnt have atleast 2 SUPERS per character? Wtf?.. And where the is tag team YET AGAIN... That was what made MK9 shine in my heart... oh and Freddy being playable. Lol

Yeah, I was very underwhelmed as well watching the gameplay. I'll def play it at some point, but so far it's not a day 1 purchase for me. I'll wait for the ultimate pack a year after release.

I don't know why you guys think this is such a big deal. Almost all other fighting games does this as well. Tekken, King of Fighters, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur (more or less), Guilty Gear, Blazblue, etc.

Mortal Kombat is probably the one fighting game that's been through alot of changes with each title (maybe except the 3D era games), so its never had stable gameplay. That Injustice has it as a series isn't something totally shocking or new for a fighting game franchise.

I think the temporary death solutions for both MK games and the DC comics lore have always been silly.
MK has (or had) Quan Chi, and Shaun Himmerick even said that the reason that Boon loves keeping Quan Chi around is because he's a necromancer, so he can bring anyone back.
The DC lore "multiverse" and Lazarus Pit have also always been pretty silly, and both series make death feel like a pointless gimmick, at this point.

OT:
As for the roster, I hope it's not 60+.
The last time we had a 60+ roster was the atrocious crap which was Armageddon.
No, thanks.
Sure, I get that WB bought out Midway and is giving the now known NRS more time to complete games, but it's bad enough that there were a bunch of patches in MKX and still there are characters that got nerfed to hell.
I'm fine with NRS swapping out characters that weren't in 1 game to have other characters in that game.
I've said it tons of times before that in MK11 I would also be fine with them swapping out Mileena, Baraka and Quan Chi for any of the characters that were left out of MKX.
I see nothing wrong with character rotation if it means different characters getting their chance and other new characters getting the chance to shine, as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was very underwhelmed as well watching the gameplay. I'll def play it at some point, but so far it's not a day 1 purchase for me. I'll wait for the ultimate pack a year after release.

I totaly agree with you on this one. Lol. I think this will be the very first time i buy an Ultimate Edition as my first time buy. Lol

Oh well I wil have Tekken 7 and Doom to keep me busy until then oh oh and Outlast 2! Whooooot

Last edited:
I don't know why you guys think this is such a big deal. Almost all other fighting games does this as well. Tekken, King of Fighters, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur (more or less), Guilty Gear, Blazblue, etc.

Mortal Kombat is probably the one fighting game that's been through alot of changes with each title (maybe except the 3D era games), so its never had stable gameplay. That Injustice has it as a series isn't something totally shocking or new for a fighting game franchise.

I think you meant to say (before the 3D era games). Like MK1, MK2, MK3 and UMK3 played exactly the same except in MK3 and UMK3 they introduced run and a combo system. But still they all played the same. MK4, Deceptions and Deadly Alliance and Armageddon, MK9, MKX all played differently. What they need to do is make a sequel to SHAOLIN MONKS in MKX/Injustice 2 graphics. That would be hypeeeeee! Even if the game played EXACTLY the same as SM1, but new story and the new graphics... omg i would pay $100 for that game NO PROBLEM! But they would have to include online co-op or forget it. Lol. Oh and some dlc later on would be lovely haha :p

I think you meant to say (before the 3D era games). Like MK1, MK2, MK3 and UMK3 played exactly the same except in MK3 and UMK3 they introduced run and a combo system. But still they all played the same. MK4, Deceptions and Deadly Alliance and Armageddon, MK9, MKX all played differently. What they need to do is make a sequel to SHAOLIN MONKS in MKX/Injustice 2 graphics. That would be hypeeeeee! Even if the game played EXACTLY the same as SM1, but new story and the new graphics... omg i would pay $100 for that game NO PROBLEM! But they would have to include online co-op or forget it. Lol. Oh and some dlc later on would be lovely haha :p

MK1, 2 and 3 play nothing alike. At all. Maybe if you just jump kick and uppercut all day, but they're wildly different games.

He's talking about individual characters. The arcade MK games never saw characters retain the exact same animations for attacks. But in the 3d MK games, the characters usually retained whatever stance they had in the previous one (Scorpion had Hapkido in all 3 PS2 era games)

MK1, 2 and 3 play nothing alike. At all. Maybe if you just jump kick and uppercut all day, but they're wildly different games.

He's talking about individual characters. The arcade MK games never saw characters retain the exact same animations for attacks. But in the 3d MK games, the characters usually retained whatever stance they had in the previous one (Scorpion had Hapkido in all 3 PS2 era games)

To me they played all the same. Okay sorry let me rephrase. MK1 and MK2 played the same (no combos) and your attacks were all the same. Sweep, roundhouse, uppercutt, jump kicks and HIGH side kicks, etc. And then you had your special moves. Then MK3 and UMK3 played the exact same with new edition of run and combo system. And theb i guess you could also say that MK4 played the same as UMK3 but it really didnt because it was 3D and you could step in and out and there was the edition of weapons. But like everyone had the EXACT same combos in that game. Every fighter. Even goro! But like you could end the combo differently with a special move or something... but they were all the same combos. Lol. Thats why when MK4 finaly gets an arcade port release, i am gonna dominate thet game online lol. Oh and your right about the stance thing... i forgot about that. Lol. But even though it was labelled Hapkido, each game played differently then the last in terms of combos. It was still called Hapkido, but it didnt play the same as the previous Hapkido stance in the last games.....