60+ combatant character roster...?

I think you meant to say (before the 3D era games).

No, I meant the 3D era games, which are Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon. They are literally re-used assets, exactly the same gameplay, graphics and engine, just with a few updates in between each title.

Unless they just port over the characters from the previous game, a 60+ roster just isn't realistic. Plus games with rosters that huge often end up balancing nightmares. I'd rather have a 28 roster where most of the characters are viable than a 60 roster where only about 10 of them are viable.

Unless they just port over the characters from the previous game

That's pretty much what they're doing. Batman, Superman and Aquaman all have the same special moves, stances and combo strings from the first game.

If they do... well, cool! I don't mind having all of Injustice's roster + a whole lot new characters in Injustice 2. Even if the returning ones keep their moves etc from Injustice.

60 characters is too many. but i wouldnt complain if there was like 35. the problem is that there's too many "must have" characters in a DCU game.

That's pretty much what they're doing. Batman, Superman and Aquaman all have the same special moves, stances and combo strings from the first game.

Not really. Even though the vets have the same specials and such, they still have brand new models for this game. And the more characters that are already in the game, the longer it takes to add another one. Development time grows exponentially the more characters are added, not linearly. They have to program each character to interact with every existing character and repeat that process every time they introduce someone.

the problem is that there's too many "must have" characters in a DCU game.

There's too many "must have" characters that people will complain about (in general) if they aren't in NRS games.
There's 14 Trilogy "must haves" in MKX alone, not to mention Cyrax, Sektor and Smoke being in via Triborg (or really Quadborg) because of fan demand.

I really do have to wonder if the majority that complain about some rosters being too small in fighting games even bother using at least half the characters even if the roster was bigger. I remember a couple years ago I was playing Ultra Street Fighter 4 online and a good 75% of the matches was me fighting Ryu, Ken, Akuma or just about any of the other shotos. The 44 character roster there may as well been a 7-8 roster. People complain about how small a roster is, but then seem to end up using the same character 24/7 regardless of how big it is.

I really do have to wonder if the majority that complain about some rosters being too small in fighting games even bother using at least half the characters even if the roster was bigger. I remember a couple years ago I was playing Ultra Street Fighter 4 online and a good 75% of the matches was me fighting Ryu, Ken, Akuma or just about any of the other shotos. The 44 character roster there may as well been a 7-8 roster. People complain about how small a roster is, but then seem to end up using the same character 24/7 regardless of how big it is.

one of the reasons for that is how theyre involved in story mode (in mk). what if the mkx roster was just scorpion, sub-zero, and like 5 more characters? i dont think you would like that very much.

one of the reasons for that is how theyre involved in story mode (in mk). what if the mkx roster was just scorpion, sub-zero, and like 5 more characters? i dont think you would like that very much.

I do agree that a roster like that would be small, but the thing is, there are people that will even consider a roster of around 24-30 characters "too small" and will try to compare things to games like Mortal Kombat Armageddon and Marvel vs Capcom 2 and call the developers "lazy". Which not only shows how greedy and spoiled they are, but that they also don't seem to be informed on how fighting games work. As those particular games mostly just ported over the character models from the previous games. Which doesn't take as long to make as a game that's made from scratch and uses brand new models for all the characters.