Injustice 2, Microtransactions inevitable?

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Hear me out, I know that we have virtually no details on how the Gear System will work, but my criticism is more on part of WB and less of NRS. WB has horrible dlc practices, the nickel and diming of Arkham games is atrocious and we all know how shady MKX was with on disc Goro.

So with Gear being a huge part, if not the main focus of, Injustice 2, how greedy do you think they'll get with this? There's no way they wont have pre-order costumes. Will premium costumes have their own gear pieces? Will they be better than the standard sets? This has the potential to not only kill the competitive scene, but to permantly ruin NRS' name.

For those who don't know, Street Fighter x Tekken had a system that centered around "Gems". Little powerups you would equip to your character before a fight. But Capcom locked the more effective Gems behind paywalls, making their fighting game pay-to-win, effectively making it a joke in the competitive scene. Add to that the on disc fiasco and Capcom has yet to recover from the damage they did to their brand.

Now NRS shows an incredible amount of support for their hardcore scene, and have well known players assist them in gameplay decisions. So the balance of these Gear pieces doesn't worry me as much. For now, I trust they know what they're doing. But WB is probably drooling at the thought of nickel and diming dedicated players for quick cash. And the scariest part of the situation is the word "Loot". Which makes me feel like its random. So they'll probably have the gear pieces locked via patience. You could grind Arcade for hours and still not get Aquaman's Legendary helmet. Or you could pay 2 bucks and get it instantly. Troubling.

Or it could be totally cool and this thread was a waste of time. Hopefully we'll find out in 2 days

MKX has coin bundles that unlocked certain things in the kyrpt ( depending on how much you where willing to spend) and lets not forget the one button fatality fiasco. I expect something similar with injustice 2 but like MKX most of it was just alternative costumes, comic book stuff or move lists for characters combos if you are to lazy to hit the lab and learn them yourself . I doubt any of it will affect the competitive scene though since it's just short cuts that will easily be discovered by good players who lab locked behind a paywall. I don't see NRS putting ''gem buffs'' in their game. It damn near killed Capcom and considering how NRS make their fighters (casual based 50/50 vortexs ect,) it would only divide the community even more.

MKX has coin bundles that unlocked certain things in the kyrpt ( depending on how much you where willing to spend) and lets not forget the one button fatality fiasco. I expect something similar with injustice 2 but like MKX most of it was just alternative costumes, comic book stuff or move lists for characters combos if you are to lazy to hit the lab and learn them yourself . I doubt any of it will affect the competitive scene though since it's just short cuts that will easily be discovered by good players who lab locked behind a paywall. I don't see NRS putting ''gem buffs'' in their game. It damn near killed Capcom and considering how NRS make their fighters (casual based 50/50 vortexs ect,) it would only divide the community even more.

Injustice 2 is confirmed to have equipable items that "change the way you play". Just like gems it seems

No doubt there will be microtransactions. The only reason I'm not worried is due to how they are handled in the mobile game. Yes, you unlock stuff earlier than you would in-game by using real money, but it literally has very little to no effect on whether or not you win a match. It'll still be skill based, but instead of people having to choose a certain character that matches their style in order to enjoy the game, they'll be able to play as the character they like and customize said character to their liking to fit their playstyle.

No doubt there will be microtransactions. The only reason I'm not worried is due to how they are handled in the mobile game. Yes, you unlock stuff earlier than you would in-game by using real money, but it literally has very little to no effect on whether or not you win a match. It'll still be skill based, but instead of people having to choose a certain character that matches their style in order to enjoy the game, they'll be able to play as the character they like and customize said character to their liking to fit their playstyle.
This is what I'm thinking. Whatever the case may be. Let's hold off on the pitch forks until nrs shows us more at E3.

Is the DLC for the game at least going to be free? Grand Theft Auto Online and Overwatch have microtransactions but in exchange they release all updates for completely free. Not saying that I support this if so, just at least if it's going to be silly like this, they'll release DLC fighters and arenas for free.

I'm worried about these microtransactions, as well.
Pay to win in a fighting game is horrible, and I hope that that's not the case with Injustice 2.

I'm being casually optimistic, though, that the gear system works like how [MENTION=18014]theincubuslord[/MENTION] previously described in this thread........

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthre...r-2017-release?p=842642&viewfull=1#post842642

^^
If it's something like that, then I'm totally fine with it,because it's customizing the character to your playstyle (similar to having a customizable variation) and not nickel-and-diming the fans.

There's no way this could be used in competitive play, it's too much of a hassle.
Plus there's going to be tons of unlockables. Are players going to have to beat arcade, trials, get random luck with every character to learn all the matchups?

Maybe it could also be unlocked via a Krypt type of system, like the Brutalities in MKX, but for competitive play it's all unlocked.
I dunno.
I wish I had answers to those similar questions that I also have.

I wonder if it has different moves that makes the heroes or villains stronger and maybe you can unlock different types of super moves. That would be awesome. I know they may have not done that but I wish that they would do that for this game.

So it's all but confirmed now. When asked about Microtransactions, Ed stammered on about players who "Don't have the time to unlock everything". The same thing he said about MKXs microtransactions.

Welp, RIP Injustice 2

I don't see the problem with the gear being buyable. It's just the lazy's way of getting all the stuff, instead of playing their way to it. In the end, we'll all get the stuff we want, one way or the other. It's not like people buying it gets the upper hand, if NRS are gonna make it so you only fight those who are on the same gear level as you are in ranked and such.

I don't see the problem with the gear being buyable. It's just the lazy's way of getting all the stuff, instead of playing their way to it. In the end, we'll all get the stuff we want, one way or the other. It's not like people buying it gets the upper hand, if NRS are gonna make it so you only fight those who are on the same gear level as you are in ranked and such.

With the 1000's of pieces it makes me wonder if you'll be paying for a full unlock, or sacrificing money to the RNG gods for a chance at legendary shin guards.

Either way it's a shitty situation. You either have to pay money to possibly get something you want, or you bypass the random factor and get instant access to top tier enhancements. Making it even more pay to win than we thought

Why did they have to add gameplay affecting aspects to it? Customization would have been cool enough, now you're pissing off both casual (microtrans)and competitive players (locked special moves)

For competitive play its either gonna be everything is unlocked or no items can be used. Id prefer no customization

Either way it's a shitty situation. You either have to pay money to possibly get something you want, or you bypass the random factor and get instant access to top tier enhancements. Making it even more pay to win than we thought

Why did they have to add gameplay affecting aspects to it? Customization would have been cool enough, now you're pissing off both casual (microtrans)and competitive players (locked special moves)

I still don't see the problem. Working to get what you want from the game by playing the game... Makes sense to me. And it's a cool way to expand the longevity and replayablity of a fighting game.

And those who don't have the time can spend money on it instead, if they want. It's an option, not something enforced on anyone.

And last point, Ed Boon mentioned in an interview that there would be modes where you play without any gear effects.

I'm not sure what there is to complain about... I'm sure people will complain either way though.

Also, before anyone attacks me or anything... I do not pretend to know any better than the rest of you, I know the same as you guys and the more we learn about this, my opinion about it might change. But as it is now, I just try to be understanding of what NRS seems to want to do with this new Gear System.

Last edited: