How to remake Kai?

Kai appeared in MK4, trained by Liu Kang against Shinnok. But now in the new timeline, with Liu as a revenant, Kai and Kung Jin can team up in their own Shaolin Monks to save all the revenants - both Kung Jin's cousin and Liu Kang's master.

What do you all think of how Kai can be remade for an MK character? Don't want him as a copy of Liu Kang. How to match him in the ranks of Kenshi?

I liked Kai's new looks in MK Armageddon. Not his outfit, that was ridiculous, but his overall build and model was pretty cool. I liked the dreads, want those to return, and of course his white tiger stripes. Not that hot on the beard though, looks kinda silly. If he's gonna have a bear, then it should be different.

kai-arm.gif

He's an Afro-American turned Shaolin Monk, without turning all Wutang which would be the stereotypical way of doing it. His look in MK4 was rather simplistic, but he was given a unique vibe with the wider headband and the one-side vest.

kai-finally2.jpg

There's indeed potential here, and I would love to see what NRS would do with him.

Story-wise... it's tough. Since Liu Kang never recruited him to be a Shaolin Monk, question is, would he be that in the new timeline? I can see, as you said, that he could be linked to Kenshi instead somehow, or maybe to Kung Jin. Or maybe he would be completely revamped, having a whole new storyline with a new fighting style. Alot of people seem to link him to Capoeira due to his spin kick, but then he'd just be seen as an Eddy Gordo rip-off.

I would like for him to be a more hard-hitting and acrobatic kung fu fighter. I can see him do alot of different kinds of spin kicks as his main moves, maybe inspired from Capoeira, but mixed with some kind of style of kung fu. Something very Jet Li-like.

tumblr_mzhba0JkfH1tpe7lxo1_400.gif

tumblr_o545z5Zqlv1tpri36o1_500.gif

tumblr_m475lpgpsT1qlf3kfo1_400.gif

So yeah, would love to see Kai return, along with many others of the 3D era. But let's see if NRS are willing to give them a chance.

Last edited:
Kai could be the ideal 'black male' character in MK 11. If they make Jacqui even more Jax like, then the old father figure can be replaced by the Shaolin. He could have a Shaolin/White Lotus style (MK4), a Assassin/Nomad style (MK:DA concept) and a Warrior style (MK:A). I would love to see Kai with the appearance of the Fighting Monk from the Mortal Kombat movie and a more nomadic clothing as in the MK:DA. This would fit his wandering for self-enlightment well I think. When you remember the ending of Kung Jin, you know these wastelands where he finds Kung Lao. This could be a place where Kai appears.

Kai_DA.png

His moves would feel like a problem...

- Fireball (Upward/downward)
- Renegade Kick
- Rising Heel
- Handstand

Kai needs better moves than these. If he's gonna be like a wanderer AND a shaolin monk, he needs better combat skills.

Instead of being trained by Liu Kang, Fujin would find him.