Your Final Review for MKXL..

Satyriasis

Hi everyone,

Mortal Kombat XL is the final version of the game and i want to share my positive and negative opinions about it.. Also i wonder what is yours.. Please share when you are able to do that..

Gameplay;

- I absolutely love the variation system because you have to learn over and over again even with the same character which you use. This keeps your interest alive to your character more than other fighting games. If you lose a match, you can try other variation to beat your opponent, for example if Cryomancer Sub-Zero doesn't work against the oppenent, you can try Grandmaster Sub-Zero with all different kind of setup and strategy.

- Mortal Kombat XL is not a good game for Button Mashers or Trolling Players.. If you want to play Mortal Kombat XL in a good way, you need to spend your time, your effort to the game.. Mortal Kombat XL wants your respect, you have to know frame data, not for only your character, also you have to know other characters, i mean which moves are punishable, which moves can breaks armor, timing for the combos, air to air setups, how to use interactables etc..

- My only negative thing about the gameplay is character nerf.. Yes this is, i spend almost 10 months for Dragon's Fire Liu Kang, 6 months for Hellfire Scorpion and 8 months for Tempest Kung Lao and they got nerfed, if you know the game, these are the characters that really hard to play with them. Every fireball cancel timing for Liu Kang was changed, all combo setups for Scorpion was changed, i was need to learn again, okay i can do it but what about my time which i already spend for these characters? this is a really disrespectful thing to the players. Even 1 year later after the game was released they still send us a patch, what is this? If this characters are not balanced why you released the game before it is finished. Feedbacks of the players are important, i know it and NRS said that ''okay we always think about your feedbacks before a new patch'' no you didn't, some lame players send their idiotic cryings like '' heyy, Summoner Quan Chi is hard to blockable, heyy i can't escape from Liu Kang's Fireball cancels, Bone Shaper Shinnok takes my health even when i was blocking '' shut up, you have to learn how you can escape.. this is not my problem. If these characters had really advantages to win the match, why you never use them? Use Dragon's Fire Liu Kang and beat me if you can than i will give my full respect to you. Every characters had advantages and weaknesses and i have to say over and over again, you need to learn idiots. For example, when i use characters like A-List Johnny Cage or Hellfire Scorpion, i need stamina to make that run cancel combos, i can't do it everytime.. Sometimes you need to check my stamina, these are the basic things about the game.. Yesterday i was playing with Unstoppable Jason and i beat a Shaolin Kung Jin player in a ranked match, this guy really knows his character but he don't know my character, i can brake armored wakeups when i activated the variation special called Punishment, so this guy has lost his two bars because he don't know it and he sent a message to me and he said that '' i will inform NRS about that, there is a bug or glitch whatever '' what the hell? I hope you guys will understand what i mean..

- Another good thing about the gameplay is detailed training mode.. I really love it.. Excellent way to learn the game.. You can try every compositions with your characters..

Story Mode;

- I have serious problems with the story mode of the game. First thing is the ''Cage Power''.. This kind of things can only impress children. I am a 32 years old guy, and i am not a cosby family fan. Shinnok was created to be the one the most powerful characters in all Mortal Kombat universe and he defeated by Cassie Cage and Jonnhy Cage because of the family power :vollkommenauf: I was expected a better storyline. Raiden was enslaved by regular Shinnok in the Jinsei Chamber, and Corrupted Shinnok was defeated by Cassie Cage, i never tolarate this shit.. This is not M-Rated story..

- Kung Jin, Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs and Takeda, these are our new heroes.. I have a problem with that.. Fujin is unplayable character because all of his moves are used by other characters like Kitana and Kung Lao.. Okay but what about the new heroes, Dive Kick for Kung Jin, Nutbreaker for Cassie, Teleport and Spear for Takeda and Air Ground Smash for Jacqui.. Both Jacqui and Cassie has same personalities with their parents. So these are the new heroes or reimagined versions of the old heroes..

- Outworld civil war is one the good parts of the story mode, good point but where is the details? Mileena has Shinnok's amulet but how? What is Reiko accords and where is Reiko? If you want to learn much about it, you have to check the comic. I prefer in game details. Also in my opinion, comic's story is better than the game story because i saw a lot of good moments in the comic like the war between Goro and Kotal Kahn, Sub-Zero and Sektor etc. I wish to see this scenes in actual story mode.. i wonder did you like the stupid Sub-Zero part in the story mode? :_wink: Sub-Zero is one of the golden characters of the game, he deserves better.. same with Scorpion.

- Some people never liked Scorpion because he was a mindless fool in past games, they prefer new Scorpion in MKX.. Okay but he is not a mindless fool now? I don't think so, Sonya told him every thing about the Quan Chi, they need Quan Chi alive because there is a hope to restore Kung Lao and Liu Kang and they worry about Shinnok's return. Why he kills Quan Chi:shot: I prefer old and evil Scorpion, he was badass and now he is a real stupid.

- Erron Black, Kotal Kahn, D'vorah and Ferra/Torr.. I like these characters but we know nothing about Erron Black and Ferra Torr.. Erron Black is the shining face of the game, total badass character, why NRS never interested with him in the story mode. Because Jacqui better than him :vollkommenauf:

- As the final word; where is Goro, Sektor, Cyrax and Tremor? I mean they are playable you know..

Last edited:
I couldn't stay with it. It was a good game on some points, but it wasn't enough for me to keep playing it like MK9 did. I love Mortal Kombat, but so many things went wrong with this game and though I did everything I could to stay positive, I just kept getting disappointed. I still play it now and then, but it becomes less and less. I haven't touched it in months. It's like a marriage gone sour, and now the sexlife is just nowhere to be found, so I have to get it from others.

The positives:

- It's a beautiful game, I love the character designs, the stages, the animations.
- Story Mode was great, alot more expansive and creative, some good character development. It was not perfect, there are some obvious flaws in it, but overall, I liked it more than MK9's Story Mode.
- The gameplay is really good and fun, I find combos easier to do in this game than MK9, allowing me to do more cool stuff.
- Most of the new characters are awesome in character and design.
- Best training mode in any MK game.

The negatives:

- The roster was lackluster. Some characters had no reason to be on the roster and there are other characters I'd rather have in. Admittedly, had Jade been playable, I might still actually be playing the game, however, the roster would still be lacking. Rain, Fujin, Sareena, Sindel, Reiko, Nitara, Baraka, Havik, Hotaru, Kabal, Noob Saibot, Shang Tsung and even Li Mei are all characters that people have requested to get in the game.

- Jacqui. Boring design, boring gameplay, boring character, no personality, no character development. She is nothing without Jax or Cassie. Even setting her up with Takeda was a failed attempt to try and make her interesting. Her entire moveset feels like it was something that was once meant for Jax, but instead they wanted a new character, so they made a girl Jax with these moves, but forgot to give her everything that makes Jax interesting as a character. And there are even lots of people who think Jax is boring! So that's not alot!

- Guest characters. I know alot of people like them and have requested them, and I understand why they are in the game, but I do not like them! None of them are interesting to me one bit, I don't like the movies they come from, and I don't like playing as them in the game. To know that there could have been spent resources on making some of the requested MK characters in instead of them gives me a sour taste in my mouth.

- Three Variations. Variations was an interesting concept, but I find that giving each character three Variations was stretching it way too much. So much that some characters have Variations that feels like they were taken from other characters that didn't make it into the game. Hell, some of them ARE taken from other characters NOT in the game! That's not only lack of creativity, but it is also incredibly insulting to those people who would rather have those characters in the game than just tacking their moves onto other characters. And in other cases, some characters' Variations just seem very out of place and unfitting, not to mention useless.

- No Challenge Tower. It was fun in MK9! And though MKX has alot of towers, as well as weekly, daily and hourly ones, they are mostly just normal towers with some schtick and some Test Your Luck features put into them to fit the theme. Challenge Tower had alot of different things to do that weren't just "fight this guy while something else happens".

- The netcode! It got fixed and is WAY better now, but it wasn't at first and we went a whole year stuck with really bad netcode! I'm grateful that NRS fixed it, but honestly, it feels a bit too late.

I think that's it so far... All I can think of right now anyways.
So in conclusion, I can't wait for the next Mortal Kombat game. Hopefully it will keep the good stuff from MKX and will be less disappointing with the rest.

hard to review a product that isn't available on pc...
from my limited mkxl experience on a console, i'll mostly type about mkx

tl;dr: average game

gameplay: 50/50 guessing game, barely any zoning, useless variations
the ai goes from kindergarten level to mind reader mk walker (which I don't really mind)
the weekly/monthly/whatever towers I really couldn't bother with

netcode: aids, complete aids on release and still the same on the pc. mkxl rectified this but i feel it was done a tad too late (even though it was a huge amount of work and nrs definitely deserves some praise here)
the krypt was ok at first, but got boring, tedious and buggy later on

roster: guest characters, characters that have no business doing in the game, broken dlc characters that get nerfed to useless later on, too many clones of the same character (three cages? (yes sonya is a cage))
on disc paywall dlc deserves a mention too

storymode: boring and uncreative
main problems:
scenes where apparently strong characters start looking like whimps just so that the main 4 good guys can pull off a win
where's goro?
very pro-feminist (gotta keep up with the modern trends i guess...)
awful, awful end boss (so much for a "surprise" ed boon)
not a fan of qte's (especially even if you fail them all nothing really happens afaik)
it felt like some scenes were too short and others were too long...while mkx had some good story elements, i definitely feel like mk9 had done it better
top notch voice acting

launch and overall game stability: shit, nothing else i can say about it

graphics: i think the biggest improvement over mk9 is the backgrounds - the textures, polycount and animation complexity definitely is an improvement.

lighting: it actually looks rather bland and flat. characters barely have any rim lighting going, therefore they basically blend in with the backgrounds. when they get all sweaty, it looks very unnatural and plastic. speaking of characters...

male characters:
great design overall. they look muscular, huge, tall, basically like every "best of the best" fighter would look. i don't mind them being sexually objectified either.

the costumes are great. you have tremor, who was basically a nobody but got a kickass design. scorpion and sub-z, even if it's the same formula over and over, look absolutely savage. kotal kahn while maybe not the most original character design wise (ogre), still looks 10/10 with his humongous triceps and pecs.

imo this is what mk characters are supposed to be about: huge, muscular and s-a-v-a-g-e. the cyborgs, while added later on, prove that nrs artists can do hard surface modelling just as well as organic modelling.

female characters:
"realism has always been our mantra". what else can be said? nrs basically caved in to a minor but very vocal buzzword group pressure. the female characters look awful: absolutely no muscle tone; huge necks (which is more a technical thing as explained by lead nrs artist); almost the same height for everyone. the "manfaces" i really don't give a shit about, if anything the mkx female faces (e.g. kitana & li mei) look just as bad.

so basically we're lead to believe...that these teenage scrawny twigs, who look like they won't be able to do a single pushup or bench/squat/deadlift half their body weight (20 kg), can easily compete toe-to-toe with the likes of goro, torr, scorpion and kotal kahn? get outta here...

their costumes basically got less sexualized. that's the biggest "improvement". amazingly the only interesting female character is d'vorah, who has absolutely nothing to do with "realism"...

there's more but you should get the gist by now. it's an average game for me with no replay value, unlike mk9.

Last edited:
I absolutely love MKX still to this day. It's by far my favorite MK game to date. The graphics , lighting , animations , and sound are all amazing. The variation system adds a level of strategic depth never seen before in an MK game. Now you can technically counter pick with the same character. The amount of content in the game is great as well.

Now with that being said , it's not perfect. The roster isn't exactly ideal or exciting , but most of the characters are fun to play as. The lack of tag mode was a bummer for me , but I can understand how hard it would've been to implement it without it being broken. My least favorite mode of all time is Test Your Luck. The Living Towers are based on this mode so I don't play them. I don't like playing a match where it's literally a coin flip if you win due to stupid hazards. And my last gripe about MKX is the lack of female characters. Where's Sindel , Sareena , Li Mei , Sheeva (wishful thinking for me)?

Overall I give this game a 9/10. And I wish people would stop saying this game is dying because it's not. Are less people playing it? Of course. That's because in this age of gaming you're lucky if players stick with a game for more than a few months , but it's never an issue to get an online match and the tournament scene is bursting with MKX play. If anyone wants to play on ps4 give me a shout BassCase428.

I absolutely love MKX still to this day. It's by far my favorite MK game to date. The graphics , lighting , animations , and sound are all amazing. The variation system adds a level of strategic depth never seen before in an MK game. Now you can technically counter pick with the same character. The amount of content in the game is great as well.

Now with that being said , it's not perfect. The roster isn't exactly ideal or exciting , but most of the characters are fun to play as. The lack of tag mode was a bummer for me , but I can understand how hard it would've been to implement it without it being broken. My least favorite mode of all time is Test Your Luck. The Living Towers are based on this mode so I don't play them. I don't like playing a match where it's literally a coin flip if you win due to stupid hazards. And my last gripe about MKX is the lack of female characters. Where's Sindel , Sareena , Li Mei , Sheeva (wishful thinking for me)?

Overall I give this game a 9/10. And I wish people would stop saying this game is dying because it's not. Are less people playing it? Of course. That's because in this age of gaming you're lucky if players stick with a game for more than a few months , but it's never an issue to get an online match and the tournament scene is bursting with MKX play. If anyone wants to play on ps4 give me a shout BassCase428.

Bro. Check your inbox. I figured out how to get the Cosplay cotumes to install for you.

Cheers

I love MKX but I realized I stopped playing it after finishing story mode and finishing everyone's arcade. I haven't played online with it at all. I played MK9 online almost everyday

I'm not going to type an essay. Don't have time for that. I'm just going to give a number. For me MKX is worth 7.9/10.

barely any zoning, useless variations
The 50/50 part is true but the zoning and useless variation part you're wrong on.
You can't tell me that Tremor, Hish-Qu-Ten Predator, Acidic Alien, Pretty Lady Leatherface, Sektor, Reptile, Cybernetic Kano, Kitana, Mileena, Bone Shaper Shinnok, Kenshi, Quan Chi, Gunslinger Erron Black, Dragons Fire and Flame Fist Liu Kang, Pyromancer Tanya, Full Auto Jacqui and Shaolin Kung Jin can't zone. I hate when people say that there is no zoning in MKX because that is just not true at all. I will admit that zoning in MKX isn't as strong as MK9 but it is still there.

About the variations. I'm a Grandmaster player and Grandmaster loses BADLY to Swarm Queen D'Vorah, like 8-2. There is literally no point in even cloning in that mu. But if I were to switch to Unbreakable, then the mu is now 5-5 or 6-4 in Unbreakable's favor. Same with Ermac. MoS Ermac is 5-5 vs GM but if he switches to Mystic then Mystic beats GM 7-3. So no, no variation is really useless.

Last edited:
The 50/50 part is true but the zoning and useless variation part you're wrong on.
You can't tell me that Tremor, Hish-Qu-Ten Predator, Acidic Alien, Pretty Lady Leatherface, Sektor, Reptile, Cybernetic Kano, Kitana, Mileena, Bone Shaper Shinnok, Kenshi, Quan Chi, Gunslinger Erron Black, Dragons Fire and Flame Fist Liu Kang, Pyromancer Tanya, Full Auto Jacqui and Shaolin Kung Jin can't zone. I hate when people say that there is no zoning in MKX because that is just not true at all. I will admit that zoning in MKX isn't as strong as MK9 but it is still there.

About the variations. I'm a Grandmaster player and Grandmaster loses BADLY to Swarm Queen D'Vorah, like 8-2. There is literally no point in even cloning in that mu. But if I were to switch to Unbreakable, then the mu is now 5-5 or 6-4 in Unbreakable's favor. Same with Ermac. MoS Ermac is 5-5 vs GM but if he switches to Mystic then Mystic beats GM 7-3. So no, no variation is really useless.
maybe you're right, it's been a while since i played it but i remember early on my statement regarding zoning was pretty much 100% true
same with variations, for instance with kotal it was either war god or gg go back to the lobby
not keeping up with latest updates anymore (in fact that's impossible on the pc even if i wanted to)

I have a question about MKXL DLC. I have sold my PS4 with MKX but I already bought another one and got my MKX back. I have purchased KP1 and had everything from the Krypt. Now I restored my data (May 2015) and some things from the Krypt must be bought again. So my question is: If I buy MKXL DLC, I will get only the KP2 fighters or ALL of the content from the game including the Krypt stuff etc.? It just seems a little overpriced I already spent so much money on MKX...

since the update to XL I can actual load the game up now and play it. ive gave it around a month of gameplay and heres my review.
(quick back story I love MK2, 3, UMK3, hated all the 3d ones and loved MK9)

if I could sum MKX up in one word it would be "disappointment".

heres my positives and negatives

positives:
the level interactions:
not so much throwing shit at people but the ability to manoeuvre off obstacles is great.

the run: yey can run again like MK3

and that's it for the positives unfortunately :/

negatives:
boring characters: yep the roster pretty much sucks

Bad character models: the characters are all ugly midgets

stages: boring generic stages that don't feel dark and dangerous like MK should, and not many stages, and no stage fatalities ( they shoe horned in 3 later on :/ )

awkward animation: the characters movement just feels very off. some jumping animations look and feel awful and the character stances are dull and lifeless the characters look and feel like total dummies.

the run command: double tap and hold block!!! seriously wtf!!

bad presentation: The background is now up in your face so theres no distinction between background and foreground so the characters get lost in the environment with the characters having the same level of detail and colour as the background that's right up beside them so it looks very messy and noisy.

were basically watching a bunch of midget dummies awkwardly jump around at unnatural cartoony speed in a messy boring generic stage setting :/ its just a complete eyesore

sound and music: the music is generic, its very well done but its very generic movie score stuff ( horns and strings mainly)and dosent have its own distinct eerie weird sounds and flavour that MK needs.

The SFX are way too harsh at all times so feels very fake and unnatural. eg a small attack from a small character like milleena has the same hard impact sound that a huge hit from Ferra Torr has. very unbalanced.

overall I just find the game very bland, ugly and disappointing :/

its a MASSIVE step backwards from MK9 which is very disheartening I'm actually worried for the future of MK now

Last edited:
You shouldn't be worried for MK. It's doing great. The game sold amazingly, had rave reviews, great media coverage and fixed many of its initial blunders down the road.

The problem is you just don't agree with how MK is progressing. It's nothing to be worried about, it'll be just fine.

You shouldn't be worried for MK. It's doing great. The game sold amazingly, had rave reviews, great media coverage and fixed many of its initial blunders down the road.

The problem is you just don't agree with how MK is progressing. It's nothing to be worried about, it'll be just fine.
They screwed it up on PC royally though. Even now the game is struggling to break 1k online players (it's around 700 which is a 2x increase from before...that's bad).
As for sales, MKX came out when Xbone and PS4 were still new with a rather small library of games. But it definitely sold a lot...

My rant-review there^^^ scored gave it 5/10, in the current state it's a 7/10. Good game, stability issues are gone, small design flaws on the PC (can't wipe control binds??), storymode is meh, some balancing I still don't understand even after latest changes and unfortunately I got no time for it.

I'm still worried because the characters look like ugly midget children. injustice 2 has the same problem, ugly tiny little characters. even superman is tiny and supergirl looks like a chucky doll :/ so yeah untill they sort that out I will always be worried

I've never heard that complaint before you. Do you mean they're too small on the screen?

yes theyre too small on the screen but what makes it worse is that the males have short wide stocky bodies and the females have little girl bodies :/