The King of Fighters XIV

theincubuslord

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/screens/kof15-announced.htm

The King of Fighters XIV has been announced, and once again it seems like Xbox One owners get screwed over, as it is only announced for PS4.

*sigh*

Seems like I really do have to get me a PS4.

Anyways, it looks cool, they have gone away from the HD 2D sprites and are going the 2.5D route, having the characters and stages in 3D, but on a 2D plane. I like it. Iori and Kyo look amazing! I kinda hope Ash will be in the game, though canon-wise he no longer exists, but hopefully he would be a bonus character of sorts. And of course K' and Vice! <3

I would also LOVE to see some of the KoF: Maximum Impact characters in this one. Lien, Luise, Alba, Duke... would be cool to see them return.

I'm not that impressed with the character models, but I'm hardly suprised by the results either. SNK fell behind on the technology race long ago and became less prolific with video games over the years. SNK seemed desperate as they got bought out by a Chinese company, Leyou Technologies.

Last edited:
I might get this game. A demo would be nice first!!!

Characters who I'd want...

Mai Shiranui
Shermie
Leona
Mature
Vice
Chizuru Kagura
Maki Kagura
Lien Neville
B.JENET
SHION

I'm happy that we at least get an actual fighting game sequel, instead of almost complete silence for the 5th year in a row, you cannot judge the game yet, because we've barely seen anything about the game's mechanic and the graphics can change in a heart beat.

I'd want the gameplay to have all forms of characters in 1 character for example...

Leona and Orochi Leona
Chizuru and Maki Kagura
Shermia and Orochi Shermie
Iori and Orochi Iori

God it looks terrible. Such a shame that they'd forgo their legendary spritework to make the game look like a highend iPhone game.

Daimon_sprite.gif

goat

im a lttle worried because this game is set to release next year and it looks (to me) like a Ps2 game. Hell Maximum Impact looks better then this. I know that there is still time but still I just cant help but worry.

I don't judge the graphics or character models until it is done. I was strictly speaking of the design when I said Iori and Kyo looked great. I don't think the graphics are as bad as people try to make it out to be. People have a tendency to exaggerate, and I believe that is what is going on here.

No, the graphics aren't fantastic, but they aren't that bad either. And the game has JUST been announced, so they are still working on it.

I don't judge the graphics or character models until it is done. I was strictly speaking of the design when I said Iori and Kyo looked great. I don't think the graphics are as bad as people try to make it out to be. People have a tendency to exaggerate, and I believe that is what is going on here.

No, the graphics aren't fantastic, but they aren't that bad either. And the game has JUST been announced, so they are still working on it.

It's an absolute disgrace to the standard SNK has set for it's art style. They aren't going to change to 2d sprites when the game drops. Every fighting game has it's alluring eye candy factor, and as of now KOFXIV has nothing going for it. It looks like a college kid's Patreon project.

im a lttle worried because this game is set to release next year and it looks (to me) like a Ps2 game. Hell Maximum Impact looks better then this. I know that there is still time but still I just cant help but worry.

My thoughts, exactly. I mean, man this trailer looks UGLY. The Android-only KoF 2012 looks better than that.

It's an absolute disgrace to the standard SNK has set for it's art style. They aren't going to change to 2d sprites when the game drops. Every fighting game has it's alluring eye candy factor, and as of now KOFXIV has nothing going for it. It looks like a college kid's Patreon project.

You mean like Mortal Kombat's digitized character sprites? Oh wait, no, that's not why MK9 and MKX became such big successes...

Oh wait! You mean like Street Fighter's smooth SF3 sprite work, right? Oh... no... that's right, SF4+ didn't have that either, yet they too became big successes...

No, sorry BPL, as much as I like the recent KOF's spritework, your point about "alluring eye candy factor" just doesn't come through.

Last edited:
While the pixel art produced by SNK in the 90s are excellent, the fact they were used for 3 console generations was not a good sign. It wasn't until PS3/X360 did SNK decided to use bigger sprites with KOFXII, which are about the size as those used for Guilty Gear. Arc System Works, on the other hand, were already using sprites twice that size for Blazblue and Persona 4: Arena. However, the animation for KOFXII/XIII is better than Arc System games, but not as good as SF3.

3D is definitely not SNK's forte. KOF Maximum Impact paled in comparison to Tekken and Virtua Fighter. While the final product can look better, KOFXIV looks rough compared to SF4 when it was first revealed.

Edit: Looking at the trailer/screenshots more closely, it's the lack of skin texture that bothered me. The animation doesn't have the feeling of weight.

Last edited:
SNK is in economical trouble, right? Is why they got bought by that Chinese company to make games for the smart-phone market. They can most likely not afford people to make the spritework, so they have gone 3D to save time and money.

I don't mind it. I like how it looks, though of course I hope it improves. This is early content after all we're seeing in the trailer. That said, though yes, graphics are important... it's not all that matters. Most of the FGC swears to gameplay above all else.

I'm not a graphics whore by any means but yeah this looks awful..the gameplay looks sluggish too. This makes me so sad I only wished snks game got funded by Sony instead of capcom. king of fighters is my favorite Japanese 2d style fighting game franchise it deserves better treatment even if the company is lacking funds. I would gladly help if they did a kick starter

Then why does the trailer have so many dislikes?
Probably because it doesn't look that great, Maximilian Dood uploaded a video talking about this, and i agree with him 100% when he said that the game doesn't look great, the graphics remind me a lot of Maximum Impact, which isn't good for 2015, and the game looks a bit clunky, but then again there's no way that this is what the game's gonna look like even 3 months down the road, so we don't have to overreact to this trailer, i think they should've just announced the game alone and waited a short period of time to improve it slightly and then show it off, but the development cycle is probably longer than what we expect.