The King of Fighters XIV

I keep seeing this game pop up every so often these past few days so I'll throw in my two cents despite I've never played this series.

I know of it, and I've seen what the game is like. From a person who's never played this, yes, this looks incredibly horrible. They didn't need to showcase this off if the demo is that bad, they could have just shown a title screen or something. Yes I know it's way too early to judge a game based on its first demo. I'm the kind of person that will always say that before the game is out (I did it with Mortal Kombat X). But Netherrealm Studios never had to disable the comments on their Youtube channel. These guys did, with the amount of backlash they received.

I'm sure within time, things will gradually get better, especially for those who love this series. But from the stuff I saw, and like I said I don't play this game, they did a poor job making people get behind this game. Everyone is entitled to their opinions yes, but I have to go with those who say this game looks horrible. It really does.

Some Hi-Res pics of Kof14
16_kofhires01.jpg
16_kofhires02.jpg
16_kofhires03.jpg

From these pics the game looks like it'll be 2d with 3d graphics like sfv, mkx etc etc and not like tekken

I'll just wait until KOFIV either comes out or is in more of a Beta stage, and I'll judge it then.
I've seen it go both ways where someone jumps on hype and it's terrible, and conversely I've seen something get a mediocre or bad review and it turns out being good.

Street Fighter 4 trailers didn't have a lot of dislikes.

Which is odd, because there was SO MANY PEOPLE complaining about how SF4 looked like back when it was announced. And even now, there's SO MANY PEOPLE complaining about how SFV looks like.

However, I think the SF fans were more grateful about getting a new SF game after 10 years of no new game in the series.

Yeah, I remember SF4 getting a lot of flak at the beginning. However, it had more to do with people disliking the art direction than technical execution. I'm more able forgive not-so-good models if they have good animation to make up for it, like I did for Tobal No. 1 and The Mark of Kri. I understand video games are not built overnight, but from what is currently shown, it's in need a lot of refinements, especially when showing it to the public.

Last edited:
I think it looks bad, but not awful. There is still time for improvement. Hopefully they'll keep up with the good storylines, the Ash saga was actually one of my favs, and it definitely ended with many possibilities for future stories.

Sooooooo . . . how long do we have to wait before we're morally allowed to pass judgement on how terrible it looks?

Sweet so i was right 2d game 3d graphics. I just wish the game looked more appealing. At its current state it just looks like and Xbla thats worth no more then 20 bucks

Sooooooo . . . how long do we have to wait before we're morally allowed to pass judgement on how terrible it looks?

If this game doesn't get the beta treatment like sf5 than it's dead on arrival IMO. I have a huge amount of respect for SNK but it's going to take more than some crappy trailers to win me over. I hope they can turn this around because I'm a big fan of the King of Fighters 13.

Now that's just a kick in the dick. It's sad how ugly it is now. 3d models weren't meant to move like that man.

Well, here's proof for you this game is going to be good, people put way too much emphasis on graphics nowadays (its SNK people, 2D graphics were exceptable for as long as 2005, does KOF XI ring a bell?), I am not a fan of the graphics either, but you can't say that it looks like crap, because this video clearly shows it doesn't, besides, I am thankful that we at least get a freaking sequel that is legit to a great game like KOF XIII.

Now that's just a kick in the dick. It's sad how ugly it is now. 3d models weren't meant to move like that man.

Well, here's proof for you this game is going to be good, people put way too much emphasis on graphics nowadays (its SNK people, 2D graphics were exceptable for as long as 2005, does KOF XI ring a bell?), I am not a fan of the graphics either, but you can't say that it looks like crap, because this video clearly shows it doesn't, besides, I am thankful that we at least get a freaking sequel that is legit to a great game like KOF XIII.

They move like their 2D sprites counterpart. Reminds me of how Capcom wanted SF4+ to look like and how Guilty Gear Xrd is. True, the graphics aren't as beautiful as many other current games, the models look low on polygons, but this video shows that this is indeed a King of Fighters game.

I do hope the graphics will be updated, but when it comes to gameplay and style, I like it so far.

They made such a mistake making it 2.5d. Everybody is going to compare it to SFV

Just like people compared MK9 with SF4+. That went fine though. I see no problem with it, as long they can get the graphics up to date as well. Alot of fighting games are 2.5D and they are doing just fine. ^^

It'll tank as a casual game, it'll tank as a spectator's game and will in turn tank as a competitive game. A game can be as technical as it wants, but the sad truth nowadays is if the stream wont watch it, the tournaments wont host it.