So do you like MGS5?

LiangHuBBB

I'm not hating or sth like this but can somebody tell me if I'm missing something here? This game is literally NOTHING like the other MGS games. I've been playing it for about 15 hours now and aside from the prologue, there is absolutely no story whatsoever, the setting never changes, and the missions are almost all exactly the same. None of the villains have shown up since the prologue either, not even the slightest mention of anything that happened prior to going to Afghanistan. Wtf is so great about this game, it's just skulking around an unnecessarily huge and empty desert with nothing to do but sneak up on the exact same looking enemies over and over. I'm a big fan of MGS and stealth games in general but honestly I would give this game a 6/10 so far (maybe even a 5) compared to 3 and 4 which I would both give a 10. I can't believe I'm saying this but that last CoD game was more inventive than this.

Does anyone else feel like this?

On the side note I have never played Peacewalker before, but I have played all the other MGS games.
Why did MGS5's gameplay didn't keep going the way it started like in the prologue?

Lots of people hated the ultra long cutscenes. The story is still there, just in the tapes instead. Kojima LISTENED to his fans and made the game with a heavier focus on free form gameplay instead of 3 hours of cutscenes and 2 minutes of gameplay. IMO, the cutscenes are now evenly balanced.

And Big Boss runs a PMC, he takes orders from clients. That's why the missions are different than previous games. BB is rebuilding his army in order to strike back against Cipher. It's also playing off Peace Walker. You should have played that before MGSV. That way you could have avoided this game. All the design choices were made for a good reason.

Personally, I love it. AHideoKojimaGame/10

Probably going to have a fit with me since I love this game.

I stopped taking you seriously after you wrote that this game has no story. I beg the differ. I can see the story progress through the missions and see where we're heading. But I'm sure you're skipping the cutscenes because you're complaining about them being too long. That's the whole premise of Metal Gear. Their cutscenes have always been like that, and why people intend on complaining about it are dumb.

Also, the story, as what Bruzzard said, are in the tapes. You have to actually go out and collect some of them, not everything is handed to you right there and then. That's what makes this game even better. To hunt down intel and learn what's going on.

Yeah you're in the same area throughout the Afghanistan missions, but what did you want? A giant factory to infiltrate? Well, sorry, this isn't Snake Eater anymore. The area that you're in is just a selected area that won't have changes added to them over time because why should it? Games have that now. A great example is Dishonored.

You're now the second person I see that didn't enjoy this game. The first complainer whined about how he can't get behind this game despite this is the first Metal Gear game he's ever picked up and also complained that you can't just get into the story by picking up in the middle of the series.

This game is flawless... except for the online issues, but that was expected anyways.

You're now the second person I see that didn't enjoy this game. The first complainer whined about how he can't get behind this game despite this is the first Metal Gear game he's ever picked up and also complained that you can't just get into the story by picking up in the middle of the series.

This game is flawless... except for the online issues, but that was expected anyways.

He sounds genuinely stupid. Who jumps into a series at the 5th installment?

He sounds genuinely stupid. Who jumps into a series at the 5th installment?

Do you really believe everyone who played MKX or even MK9 have played every past MK? The same goes for all long-running games... Super Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Tekken...

There are people of the younger generations who have never owned past consoles that these games have been on, maybe they never felt interested in any of the past games but do now, because you know, people evolve and change interests... They don't have to go back to the first game made and play through every single installment if they aren't even sure it's something for them. And the first MGS is very different than Phantom Pain, so he couldn't know if he would like PP (teehee, peepee) if he started with MGS1.

It has nothing to do with intelligence.
However... if he picked the game up for its story, and if he truly believes one cannot pick up a game mid-to-late story, then he could have watched the entire story on youtube up until PP. His statement about this is indeed stupid - not because he is wrong, but because if he truly believes this, then he was stupid to not do his homework first.

Edit: Oh, btw, I haven't picked up the game myself because I suck at these kind of games, but I do quite enjoy the story of this series, so I will watch a let's play of it. It looks awesome, and Troy Baker is the VA of Ocelot, so that's just another reason for me to watch it. ;)

I don't like it at all. I think its extremely boring and a cop out from what made the series great. It's just frigging metal gear call of duty edition. Not happy. Does it pick up?

Do you really believe everyone who played MKX or even MK9 have played every past MK? The same goes for all long-running games... Super Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Tekken...

There are people of the younger generations who have never owned past consoles that these games have been on, maybe they never felt interested in any of the past games but do now, because you know, people evolve and change interests... They don't have to go back to the first game made and play through every single installment if they aren't even sure it's something for them. And the first MGS is very different than Phantom Pain, so he couldn't know if he would like PP (teehee, peepee) if he started with MGS1.

It has nothing to do with intelligence.
However... if he picked the game up for its story, and if he truly believes one cannot pick up a game mid-to-late story, then he could have watched the entire story on youtube up until PP. His statement about this is indeed stupid - not because he is wrong, but because if he truly believes this, then he was stupid to not do his homework first.

Edit: Oh, btw, I haven't picked up the game myself because I suck at these kind of games, but I do quite enjoy the story of this series, so I will watch a let's play of it. It looks awesome, and Troy Baker is the VA of Ocelot, so that's just another reason for me to watch it. ;)

The only reason I said that is because MGSV is the knot that holds the rest of the series together. Without playing ANY of the other games, how is anyone supposed to know what's going on?

And MK9 was a reboot, so that argument is flawed.

I really don't understand the small complaints I've seen every now and then about this game. Yeah, I'm totally fan girling right now, but some of the complaints are way too silly.

"The story doesn't exist" - Except there is a story, you have the cutscenes and the cassettes that explains what is going on. Or, if you're THAT impatient, go read the story on its Wikia site.

"Does it ever pick up" - This is how Phantom Pain plays. Every single mission is going to be where you have an objective to complete with several of them missing that you have to find via intel. It's not going to play like Snake Eater no matter how many times you ask for it.

"It's Metal Gear Call of Duty edition" - I have absolutely no idea what that is supposed to mean.

The main purpose of this game is to build an army to go after Cipher. It's not that hard to follow what exactly is going on. I sometimes get lost in the story because there's so much stuff in this series that goes on, but then I get right back into it after reading some ofame material.

Also, for those who are saying stuff about who's played what and if they didn't have the system or whatever... Out of all the Metal Gear games that has to do with the main series (I'm ignoring all the spin offs and such) I've never played Peace Walker. So some material for me in Phantom Pain is a little head itching for me. However, if I want to get into the story, that's where Youtube Playthroughs come in. So, I'm agreeing with Buzzard, the guy is dumb. There's a lot of material out there that can get someone to tell you what's going on these days. Before Youtube and Wikipedia, we had just ourselves finding out stuff. But, behold... internet.

The only reason I said that is because MGSV is the knot that holds the rest of the series together. Without playing ANY of the other games, how is anyone supposed to know what's going on?

I've played em all and I haven't a clue what's going on.

I really don't understand the small complaints I've seen every now and then about this game. Yeah, I'm totally fan girling right now, but some of the complaints are way too silly.

"The story doesn't exist" - Except there is a story, you have the cutscenes and the cassettes that explains what is going on. Or, if you're THAT impatient, go read the story on its Wikia site.

"Does it ever pick up" - This is how Phantom Pain plays. Every single mission is going to be where you have an objective to complete with several of them missing that you have to find via intel. It's not going to play like Snake Eater no matter how many times you ask for it.

"It's Metal Gear Call of Duty edition" - I have absolutely no idea what that is supposed to mean.

The main purpose of this game is to build an army to go after Cipher. It's not that hard to follow what exactly is going on. I sometimes get lost in the story because there's so much stuff in this series that goes on, but then I get right back into it after reading some ofame material.

Also, for those who are saying stuff about who's played what and if they didn't have the system or whatever... Out of all the Metal Gear games that has to do with the main series (I'm ignoring all the spin offs and such) I've never played Peace Walker. So some material for me in Phantom Pain is a little head itching for me. However, if I want to get into the story, that's where Youtube Playthroughs come in. So, I'm agreeing with Buzzard, the guy is dumb. There's a lot of material out there that can get someone to tell you what's going on these days. Before Youtube and Wikipedia, we had just ourselves finding out stuff. But, behold... internet.

The thing is these are valid complaints. One of the things that made Metal Gear great was it was different to everything else out there. Now you're in Afghanistan head shotting people in really boring missions. I think this game is why Hideo Kojima left Konami since they wanted him to make a game that utterly panders to mainstream shooter tastes.

You are all fooled and lulled into thinking this is a great game when its a really dull, repetitive, easy duck and cover shooting game with terrible stealth aspects. All the bells and whistles and 10/10 reviews have you all fooled. I guarantee this game will not have the same opinion from folk in coming years.

If invading a base, sneaking, shooting and sending people to float of in balloons is your thing, more power to you but that is all the game is. Folk are deluded. It is really that 2D.

Nope, sorry. I'm not fooled into anything.

I've been a fan of Metal Gear Solid since Metal Gear Solid. I think it's a flawless series. I have never came across a terrible game in the series.

You're talking to the wrong person in trying to convince to them that Phantom Pain is a terrible game.

But you get what I'm saying, right?

Nope, sorry. I'm not fooled into anything.

I've been a fan of Metal Gear Solid since Metal Gear Solid. I think it's a flawless series. I have never came across a terrible game in the series.

You're talking to the wrong person in trying to convince to them that Phantom Pain is a terrible game.

He's just a huge hipster.

The difference is that MGS is a series with a complex, intricate and fragile story line, while everything you listed above is either not story driven at all (MK, Street Fighter, Super Mario, Sonic) or is just a stand alone story. You don't need to play every game in the series to understand any of the games you listed.

MGS though? Yeah you should play from the beginning because they're all linked to each other and you're not going to understand any of it if you didn't play the previous installments.

The thing is these are valid complaints. One of the things that made Metal Gear great was it was different to everything else out there. Now you're in Afghanistan head shotting people in really boring missions.

But they're really not valid complaints. If you're complaining that the game plays like COD (which it doesn't) then you have no idea what you're even talking about. If you're complaining that there is no story, then you obviously haven't been listening to the cassettes which is partly where the story is. If the missions are boring to you, then you're probably just bad at the game. TPP is a fvcking solid (pun) game so far and I'm at 25% completion.

You are all fooled and lulled into thinking this is a great game when its a really dull, repetitive, easy duck and cover shooting game with terrible stealth aspects.

This right here invalidates everything you've said in this thread. You obviously have no idea what the fvck you're talking about and I'm pretty positive that you have no idea how to play this game at all.

If invading a base, sneaking, shooting and sending people to float of in balloons is your thing, more power to you but that is all the game is. Folk are deluded. It is really that 2D.

Are you fvcking serious? I can chalk up any game like that.

MK is just people fighting.
Halo is just a space man shooting aliens.
Assassins Creed is just a guy jumping from buildings.
Tomb Raider is just a girl in the jungle hopping from ledges.

Everything is 2D when you sum it up half assed.

The difference is that MGS is a series with a complex, intricate and fragile story line, while everything you listed above is either not story driven at all (MK, Street Fighter, Super Mario, Sonic) or is just a stand alone story. You don't need to play every game in the series to understand any of the games you listed.

MGS though? Yeah you should play from the beginning because they're all linked to each other and you're not going to understand any of it if you didn't play the previous installments.

... Yes, which I addressed later in that same post. *facepalm*

None of these can be compared to the Metal Gear Solid series. MGS is very story-driven so jumping right into MGSV is a lot different than jumping into a game series about a plumber stepping on Goombas.