What did Quan Chi have to gain from the Shirai-Ryu / Lin Kuei conflict?

brave1

Has this ever been explained, especially in lieu of how in MKX, Sektor himself also played a role?

Let's look through it chronologically:

1. Sektor hires Quan Chi to wipe out the Shirai-Ryu, killing Hanzo, Kana and Jubei. QC creates the illusion that the LK did it.

2. Hanzo becomes Scorpion under the pretense that the LK (specifically Bi-Han) killed his clan and family.

3. The 9th tournament. Bi-Han is assigned to assasinate Shang Tsung.

4. Scorpion shows up and kills Bi-Han. QC turns Bi-Han into Noob Saibot

So to sum up, QC has wiped out the Shirai-Ryu, and claimed the highest-ranking fighters of both clans as his champions.

The question is, why?

So to sum up, QC has wiped out the Shirai-Ryu, and claimed the highest-ranking fighters of both clans as his champions.

The question is, why?

You pretty much answered your own question: to recruit the highest-ranking fighters of both clans as his champions.

What irks me is that we're not supposed to question Quan Chi's and D'Vorah's inexplicable, undying devotion to Shinnok. Quan Chi is about to get his face lopped off, and the only thing he can think about is making sure his master is released. Why? What does he care? He's gonna be dead as a doornail.

It's Saturday morning cartoon writing. Quan Chi is evil and therefore he does evil things like caring about billions of humans getting wiped out even if it costs him his life. We just have to take it on faith that Shinnok is so terrifying/magnificent/beloved a leader to his troops that they would throw themselves on beds of nails for him to walk over... because NRS certainly didn't justify any of that with the 5 minutes of screentime Shinnok has in MKX.

Quan Chi could have just teleported out of there instead of getting his head cut off. but he had to release Shinnok right then instead of after. grrr!

You pretty much answered your own question: to recruit the highest-ranking fighters of both clans as his champions.

What irks me is that we're not supposed to question Quan Chi's and D'Vorah's inexplicable, undying devotion to Shinnok. Quan Chi is about to get his face lopped off, and the only thing he can think about is making sure his master is released. Why? What does he care? He's gonna be dead as a doornail.

It's Saturday morning cartoon writing. Quan Chi is evil and therefore he does evil things like caring about billions of humans getting wiped out even if it costs him his life. We just have to take it on faith that Shinnok is so terrifying/magnificent/beloved a leader to his troops that they would throw themselves on beds of nails for him to walk over... because NRS certainly didn't justify any of that with the 5 minutes of screentime Shinnok has in MKX.

That's who desperately needs an origins comic, Quan Chi. Do we know how Quan Chi became so powerful? His bio says he started out as a lowly Netherrealm demon.

That's who desperately needs an origins comic, Quan Chi. Do we know how Quan Chi became so powerful? His bio says he started out as a lowly Netherrealm demon.

Agreed. Origins of Quan Chi would tell us about the nature of the Netherrealm, the nature of resurrection magic, Quan Chi's personal ambitions, and Quan Chi's relationships with people like Shinnok (did Quan Chi see Shinnok as a true god, or merely a powerful benefactor?) and D'Vorah (did Quan Chi respect her as a fellow servant of Shinnok, or were they rivals, or what or how?)... the guy is just a plot device in MKX and he deserves so much better.

MKX was honestly the first time I ever liked Quan Chi. It actually looked like he revered Shinnok as a god instead of using him like a tool as he did in the old timeline. Of course it could be revealed later that this was all to his benefit, but seeing Quan Chi sacrifice himself was completely out of character for him. And I mean that in the best way possible.

I think it is for power. He knew Scorpion and Sub-Zero were great warriors and would benefit him in his pursuits. His reason for worshiping Shinnok probably did not change; it just so happens in MKX he was killed before it was revealed that all of his actions were part of an elaborate scheme. It would not surprise me if Quan Chi made sure Shinnok was released solely for the chance to use him as a pawn.

Playing through MK9, did anyone else get the feeling that QC intended for Noob Saibot to replace Scorpion altogether?

Playing through MK9, did anyone else get the feeling that QC intended for Noob Saibot to replace Scorpion altogether?
No.
As for why Quan Chi released Shinnok, I'm not sure. Something to do with the real and fake amulet? Perhaps Shinnok has the power to revive Quan Chi from the dead? If the latter is the case, it makes me wonder if Shinnok will discover the source of his amulet (Quan Chi) and swap it? Who knows...