Worth the purchase?

Kingsonnn Dededoo

Ey, I don't know if this merits a topic, but I'll have it locked if needed. After quite a long time saving up, I finally got an Xbox One earlier today, a week-early birthday gift if you may. I'm a bit stuck at the games department due to everything being really darn expensive for me. So far, I've only got the Halo collection that came with the bundle, and Killer Instinct. Might get only one more game for a few months.

I need to know, if that one game I'll be stuck with for a few months should be Mortal Kombat X. I've heard/seen that the netcode is a bit wonky, but I'm not going to be that big of an online player. What I want to know if the game is fun enough to spend a few months playing, be it single player or not. It looks fun, but I don't feel like paying for a game that might only keep me entertained for two weeks or so. I had plenty of fun with MK9, but MKX feels and looks way different.

To anyone that got the game, was it worth the purchase?

It's worth the purchase but only lasted me about 2 months or so. I've already moved onto other games, so personally I recommend you get something with more replay-ability.

Definitely get it, even if some of us may seem a bit cynical about certain things. It's a great game, there's plenty to do, lots of content and the variation system gives characters good replayability.

Also, add me on XB1 if you're new and want some peeps to play with.

Honestly, I can't say either way. On one hand MKX is in certain ways the best and most robust MK game to date with some very nice and well thought out features and an interesting cast. If I should highlight something it's definitely going to be the graphics/cutscenes, sound/voice-acting, variations, brutalities, intros, practice mode and the krypt. The story is decent, but feels a bit rushed and less satisfactory and complete compared to MK9. Online is better, albeit not 100% perfect. Challenge Towers, while a neat idea, are not always fun and sometimes you just play them to get the reward. Similar with the Faction Wars. But they did try to get creative, even with Test Your Luck. Amount of DLC is ok, but I guess it depends on your tastes. The actual gameplay I would say is smoother and more fluid. It's easier, but at the same time harder. Some variations are more underwhelming than the other, but overall they bring in something new and are a welcome addition. Practice Mode is very very well done. Brutalities are cooler than Fatalities this time and also harder to pull off. Some Fatalities are boring. The presentation of the game is top notch. It sounds and looks great, though the PS4 version has the slighter edge. Designs are phenomenal. The Krypt is a game of its own. It actually blew my mind, along with the character intros. No other game has this. The downsides are there are no Babalities, Friendships, Animalities, Hara-Kiris, Konquest, Motor/Chess/Puzzle Kombat and classic Stage Fatalities. Also, the DLC is a bit overpriced and it kinda sucks they decided to offer the unlocking of the krypt or easy fatalities as DLC as well. I don't like when companies start milking and become greedy. Thankfully you're not forced to buy any of the DLC. It just worries me that it's there and what might come with MK11. As for amount of characters and stages. I'm satisfied with the amount of fighters. New ones are also good, at least half of them. It's a shame Reiko, Sareena and Fujin aren't in, but who knows what plans they have for them. There could be more stages, though. As is it's bearable, but nothing amazing. There should've been be 2 more. All in all I think MKX is a great game and definitely a big step up from MK9. They really improved a lot of things. But then again, some things are missing. And also, for some reason I don't have that urge anymore to play. I finished story and unlocked a third of the krypt and have level 41 and while the game is good, I dunno. There's perhaps something lacking. I don't have much time to play games, but I don't think that's what I'm feeling. So I really don't know. It's weird. I would say 70% get it, 30% don't. If you take it slow, it should last you 3 months.

[MENTION=9422]Kingsonnn Dededoo[/MENTION]

Last edited:
The online modes are fun, but it's a bit laggy still.

I agree with [MENTION=18905]mandead[/MENTION], as far as offline modes and things to do offline is concerned, though.
The Living Towers are the reason why the replay offline is there for me.
Those Towers always change on a daily, hourly and weekly basis, so from week to week, day to day or hour to hour you could be playing a different Living Tower each time, which has its own theme.
Not to mention ranking up in your Faction and doing the Faction War Invasion Battles, Assassin Battles and Invasion Boss Battles are also fun, imo.

make sure to get Killer Instinct (season 1 and 2) - awesome netcode, most unique characters in a fighting game (atleast out of SF, MK, tekken), and fun.

MK X is also worth it. Yes, some netcode issues, but tons of content and so far, few times i've done online didn't notice issues (but where you live, etc also affects the net experience). Still a great fighting game.

Also, Ori and the Blind forest is beautiful. :) not too expensive.

I was very tempted to buy the full KI set now it's 60% off, but it just looks so ****ing bland. The fighting animation looks horrible (I hate that SF-style frame-at-a-time combo thing) and there isn't really a story mode to speak of, although it does seem Microsoft have been working with Maximilian to slightly improve that side of things.

It's great value atm (you even get both classic games) but I very much doubt I'd enjoy it, and unless you're a fan of more SF/Tekken type Japanese fighting games then I wouldnt really recommend it. It has more 'unique' but far less interesting characters than MKX, far less fluid animation and really no SP content or lore to speak of. It's not anywhere near as fleshed-out a game as MKX, so bear that in mind.

I mean, if you're a fan of the series then yeah totally go for it. But if not, buy it anyway because it's fun and there is lots to do. I'm still unlocking the krypt and learning new characters.

If you're only getting it for offline purposes, I would definitely pass. The Towers are boring as hell, Story mode will last you about 5 hours and there isn't any other kind of "Progression" mode since the Challenge Tower has been replaced with the half assed Test Your Luck Towers.

To each their own.
The online lag in MKX is seriously making me reconsider even bothering with PS+ next year (this coming from someone with VERY fast internet service and connected directly to the router via Cat6 cable), given MKX online is what I initially got PS+ for, and 99% of the other games that I'm interested in are single-player offline.

Last edited:
I can't tolerate MKX online since I played many other fighting games after MK9 got me into learning characters in games from Dead or Alive 5, to SFIV, to Persona 4 Arena. So I expect every fighting game's online to at least be decent.

To each their own.
The online lag in MKX is seriously making me reconsider even bothering with PS+ next year (this coming from someone with VERY fast internet service and connected directly to the router via Cat6 cable), given MKX online is what I initially got PS+ for, and 99% of the other games that I'm interested in are single-player offline.

I've noticed this. The phuq is going on at Sony?

I've noticed this. The phuq is going on at Sony?

Fortunately, the lag is more of an MKX thing, not Sony.
There are a few other friends of mine who've played Far Cry 4, and other games online and the online is fine, and then they play MKX and it also lags like hell for them.
NRS needs to work on their servers, not Sony.

Well, Killer Instinct was one of my main reasons for getting the console anyway. Already have the F2P version downloaded, played it the whole day and I really enjoyed it. Hoping to get Season 1 disk tomorrow, and wishing that there's a Season 2 disk eventually, Xbox Store kind of doesn't use the credit cards I have.

MKX looks to have more offline content compared to MK9. I'm sad that they removed the Challenge Tower, the Living Towers don't feel that attractive to me, but I'll get the game for sure, eventually, uh, when it gets a small price drop.

Thanks for the answers everyone!

MKX is a good game. It could definitely be improved in some aspects but overall it's a lot better than MK9 imo. People love the krypt but I honestly can't stand it. I unlocked everything within about a week because I no lifed this game at the start but it was tedious as hell. The concept art however is f****** amazing. I love reading the artist's interpretations and ideas behind the character/stage, it's all very interesting. Coins having no use after everything is unlocked sucks as well, I have like 600k coins with no purpose whatsoever lol. I'm also very glad they keep adding extra content every patch such as secret stage brutalities or different brutalities for characters, I think that's awesome. Really the biggest downside to MKX for me personally is that the online is shit and no Fujin. If Fujin is DLC later down the line I think this might be my favorite MK game of all time. Oh and another thing is the lack of really good stages. I really love the Kove, Jinsei chamber, and Sky Temple, but really none of these stick out like MK stages should. I was playing MK9 the other day and it made me realize how memorable and unique those stages are. I really hope we'll be getting some klassic stages for DLC (possibly for free, like the klassic fatalities), that would be really nice. I just hope it's not the Pit or Goro's lair again lol. give me pit 3 pls

MKX is a good game. It could definitely be improved in some aspects but overall it's a lot better than MK9 imo. People love the krypt but I honestly can't stand it. I unlocked everything within about a week because I no lifed this game at the start but it was tedious as hell. The concept art however is f****** amazing. I love reading the artist's interpretations and ideas behind the character/stage, it's all very interesting. Coins having no use after everything is unlocked sucks as well, I have like 600k coins with no purpose whatsoever lol. I'm also very glad they keep adding extra content every patch such as secret stage brutalities or different brutalities for characters, I think that's awesome. Really the biggest downside to MKX for me personally is that the online is shit and no Fujin. If Fujin is DLC later down the line I think this might be my favorite MK game of all time. Oh and another thing is the lack of really good stages. I really love the Kove, Jinsei chamber, and Sky Temple, but really none of these stick out like MK stages should. I was playing MK9 the other day and it made me realize how memorable and unique those stages are. I really hope we'll be getting some klassic stages for DLC (possibly for free, like the klassic fatalities), that would be really nice. I just hope it's not the Pit or Goro's lair again lol. give me pit 3 pls
Bolded the bits I 100% agree with.

As for new stages, I'm actually not particularly interested in klassic stages because I don't think they'd really fit the game, much as the klassic fatalities and skins don't (although the renders for the ones in the second pack look amazing) but I understand they exist as fan service. Certainly no complaints.

If new stages are added, I'd rather they explored unused content from the story mode such as Jax's Farm, the Netherrealm Throne Room, and possibly an area from the Krypt -- Shao Kahn's Tomb could be very atmospheric, for example.

I can sort of see them releasing klassic stages, but I doubt I'd pay for any tbh. Maybe. Meh.

My only complaints with MKX are one or two bizarre roster choices, inconsistent online latency, and a 'top-heavy' character costume selection; i.e. Scorpion has 8, Goro has 1.

I absolutely can't and won't accept the gigantic ****ing over that Fujin got in this game, though. It's supposed to be a new storyline based on a loose re-telling of MK4, and so we have Shinnok, Quan Chi, Tanya, etc. But Fujin? Best appearance ever, should have been on the main roster, and now not even DLC. I just can't give the game anything above a 7/10 for that, sorry.