Who here hates High Definition?

D1A1

Maybe I'm just picky, but to me, HD TV seems either too bright or too dark. It also seems like movement is slower, and sound is lower, no matter how much I turn it up..

I must be one of the last people on Earth who still owns the older box-type TVs. I had to buy a flat-screen HD TV to install my PS4 on, and ugh, how I hate watching anything on cable or my DVD player on that thing.

Again though, maybe I'm just not used to this kind of TV yet.

Am I the only one who feels this way about High Definition?

Maybe I'm just picky, but to me, HD TV seems either too bright or too dark. It also seems like movement is slower, and sound is lower, no matter how much I turn it up..

I must be one of the last people on Earth who still owns the older box-type TVs. I had to buy a flat-screen HD TV to install my PS4 on, and ugh, how I hate watching anything on cable or my DVD player on that thing.

Again though, maybe I'm just not used to this kind of TV yet.

Am I the only one who feels this way about High Definition?

Well the transition period is weird, but HD is inarguably better. Sound doesn't have anything to do with HD, its your TV's sucky speakers lol.

I get this weird feeling when I look at screen of large HD-TVs. You start to notice little things that feel off. Stuff in the foreground stand out so much that they don't feel they should be part of the scene.

I guess it's a matter of the eye getting used to such things. For some people playing video games that run 30 fps is not acceptable and must play at 60 fps and above. For comparison, 24 fps is sufficient to convey the illusion of movement, and animated films typically run at the rate.

I kind of feel that way. DVDs and especially blurays seem so overly polished that it looks phoney.

It sometimes gives older movies a screen quality that they need. But even then, sometimes those old cameras give films a nostalgic feel.

I get more concerned with how clearly polished and perfect films look with how they are made today. It just makes it feel more like a movie. We need more grit.

I kind of feel that way. DVDs and especially blurays seem so overly polished that it looks phoney.

It sometimes gives older movies a screen quality that they need. But even then, sometimes those old cameras give films a nostalgic feel.

I get more concerned with how clearly polished and perfect films look with how they are made today. It just makes it feel more like a movie. We need more grit.

I know what you mean about older movies. Personally, I'm not one of these people who needs everything to look polished and clean. I like movies from past decades to feel and seem like movies from past decades, rather than pitiful attempts at making them seem modern which is what I feel is often the case with HD.

I know what you mean about older movies. Personally, I'm not one of these people who needs everything to look polished and clean. I like movies from past decades to feel and seem like movies from past decades, rather than pitiful attempts at making them seem modern which is what I feel is often the case with HD.
Which is the whole reason I am against HD remasters in gaming. I want it to look completely faithful to the original, not some gimmicky polishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Yeah, some TV's make it seem like everything is moving faster. It looks really cheesy. Remember in the little rascals or the 3 stooges when they speed up the film for comedic affect? Like that except all the time.

This is something I tell everyone who gets a new TV, and I cannot stress it enough: CALIBRATE your television.

TVs out of the box come in what is referred to as "torch mode." All of the picture sliders are cranked up too high so that the TV looks good on the showroom floor, and pops under the bright lights. These settings are NOT ideal for home viewing, and can actually shorten the lifespan of your TV. They do this because every room and pair of eyes is different, so there is no "perfect setting" they can just use across the board, so instead of tuning it for home use, they tune it to pop. This also isn't specific to any brands either, as almost every HDTV manufacturer is guilty of doing this, and because so many people just take their TV out of the box and don't tinker with it, they just expect this is how the TV is supposed to look. This is also why modern TVs look overly vivid when you set them up in your house.

The first thing I would do is go through and disable all of the unnecessary stuff like dynamic contrast, motionflow, edge enhancement, etc. Your sending the TV a pristine 1080p image, these are not needed! Also, find out how to put your TV in "Game Mode" and do so. This will turn off a lot of the additional processing that your TV does to the image to reduce input delay and give you a more "pure" image.

The easiest thing you can do is go to TweakTV.com and see if they have any settings listed for your TV. Just grab the model number of your TV off the back and look it up in their "Tweak My TV" database. These are settings that are submitted by users who have done their own calibrations, sometimes even having them done professionally. As I said before, every room and pair of eyes are different so they won't be perfect, but they'll get you in the ballpark.

If you wanna get the best results though, the best option you can do is to set up the brightness, contrast, sharpness, and all that using patterns, because your eyes and the lighting conditions of the room dictate how these settings will be. The easiest option is to find a Pixar DVD (or Blu-ray, even better) your have, as those have a "THX Optimizer" built in. Pop it into your PS4 and go through the steps. If you don't have a Pixar DVD, Google something called "AVS HD 709". Download the AVCHD disc and burn it to a DVDR. This will only take about 5 minutes to do (10 at the most), but will make a dramatic difference in your TV, and it will look as it was intended to.

HDTV is amazing, especially for gaming, the problem is that most people just aren't experiencing the true capabilities of their TV.

Last edited: