Fist Fury kombo

mandead

Okay, I am probably just being retarded here, but does this kombo even work? Are there some hidden requirements for it?

On the kombo list screen, it says: X,X,Y,X,Y - there's also Chain Fist which is X,X,Y,X,Y,B

The most I can get out of these sequences is a three-hit combo, which seems to be quite random. By just inputting this sequence normally, I can only reliably get two punches, which is just the first X, X. It says 'Mid' for move type, which is just a standard kombo AFAIK. I've not had any problems with other kombos in terms of them actually not working, rather than me just not being good enough to pull them off.

What am I missing here? Even in practice mode I can't get either of these to work. I don't even play as Kung Lao, but this is the first kombo chain I've found that I cannot get to work. If there are any requirements I'm not meeting, they are not listed.

Anyone?

You have to mash it out or press the buttons faster in that sequence, It's similar to Erron Black's 2,11,22 (Y,XX,YY) Kombo. (String, whatever.. lol)

That's nice. I'm big fan of this game and kung lao is the favourites character. That's why I'd like to share with the other users what i found on the internet. Every single combo and strategy:

Kung Lao is a character that relies heavily on traps and setups. The Buzz Saw and Hat Trick variations give him a number of ways to place his hat on the screen so that your dagens opponents have difficulty attacking Kung Lao. The Tempest variation gives Kung Lao additional protection. In addition, he has one of the fastest special moves in the game, which allows him to punish many attacks that would normally be safe if other characters blocked them. If you have good defense and a mind for setups and traps, Kung Lao is the character for you!

Notation Key

PlayStation/Xbox
1 - Square/X
2 - Triangle/Y
3 - X/A
4 - Circle/B

Dive Kick
Notation: Down+4 (in the air)
Enhanced: Yes, but no armor.

Kung Lao's trademark Dive Kick is one of the fastest attacks in Mortal Kombat X, but if the opponent blocks it's very easy to punish Kung Lao. The enhanced version (Multi-Kick) hits multiple times and inflicts a bit more damage. You can combo after both versions depending on how low you connect the kick, but it's much easier to combo after the Multi-Kick. Use the Dive Kick to extend combos and to punish opponents who try to attack while Kung Lao is in the air.

Teleport
Notation: Down, Up
Enhanced: Yes, with armor.

Kung Lao's Teleport has four different attack options and can be done in the air or on the ground. The enhanced version (Advanced Teleportation) has armor on the way down, but not as Kung Lao comes back up. After the initial notation you can attack with the Teleport Throw (1), Hammer Punch (2), Teleport Kick (3) or Drop Kick (4). The speed at which you input the additional command determines when the attack connects. For example, if you press 1 immediately after the Teleport, Kung Lao will use the Teleport Throw as soon as possible. If you wait, you can still press 1 at any point while Kung Lao is in the air after teleporting behind the opponent.

The Hammer Punch is an overhead, with the Teleport Kick and Drop Kick hitting mid. However, the height at which you initiate the attack can cause it to miss a ducking opponent. If the opponent is ducking you Sweden generally need to use the Hammer Punch very late, and the Teleport Kick and Drop Kick as soon as possible. The Teleport Throw will always miss a ducking opponent. With all of this in mind, make sure you pay close attention to whether your opponent is standing or crouching when you Teleport.

Finally, it's not difficult for a skilled player to interrupt every option from the Teleport with a well-timed Down+1 or uppercut (Down+2). It's best to use the Teleport in the air to catch an opponent ofuard, or when they're in the middle of an attack animation and can't immediately attack you out of the Teleport.

Spin
Notation: Down, Forward+1
Enhanced: Yes, with armor.

Kung Lao's final trademark attack is the Spin. It's one of the best anti-air attacks in the game and even works well against cross-up jump attacks if you time it well. After a Spin hits it's fairly easy to follow with a juggle combo, and if it hits an aerial opponent you can even start with a Jump Kick into a Dive Kick for additional damage. The Spin is also one of the fastest special moves in the game, which means it can punish a lot of attacks that would normally be more difficult to punish after blocking.

The enhanced version (Vortex) covers about half the screen and sucks in the opponent. While it has armor, more often than not it will simply suck in the opponent, ignoring alla their attack so Kung Lao doesn't take any damage. Keep in mind, both the Spin and the Vortex are unsafe if the opponent blocks, so only use it when you know it will connect.

Basic Strategy

Kung Lao is a character that relies heavily on the mistakes of his opponents. He doesn't have a very good overhead/low mix-up game, but he can punish very well. His Spin is one of the fastest special moves in the game and utan konto makes a lot of attacks punishable by a full combo that would normally be safe against other characters. The trick is to look for attacks that show a Block Adv of -9 or higher in the Frame Data section of the move list. These are the attacks you can kortspel punish with a well-timed Spin.

While Kung Lao has a decent overhead attack, he is lacking in low attacks. The Low Kick (Down+3) and Full Sweep (Down+4) are safe low pokes, but that's all Kung Lao really has for low attacks aside from a few combos that end with unsafe low attacks.

Hat Slice (Back+2) is a safe attack that hits overhead, while the Flip Kick (Forward+4) is an overhead that's not safe if the opponent blocks. The Hat Slice leads into the Raze Rim combo (Back+2,2), which is a double overhead combo that bounces the opponent off the ground if the second attack hits. You can follow this with a special move for additional damage, or in the corner you can use the Spin for a full combo follow-up.

The Butterfly Kick combo (4,4) ends with a safe overhead attack that bounces the opponent off the ground. You can follow this with a Run Cancel (Forward, Forward+Tap Block) and get a full juggle combo if it connects. The first attack hits hit, but this can be very useful, especially as a punishment option since the first attack is moderately fast.

The Chain Fist combo (1,1,2,1,2,4) can be challenging for new players. The first two hits can be done just like any other combos, but the last four hits must be done very quickly to get them to work properly. You can't mash out the buttons because chances are you will hit too many buttons before you hit 4 and the final kick won't work. Your best course of action is to hit the first two attacks like normal, then quickly press 2,1,2,4. With a bit of practice you'll get it down and even be able to cancel it into special moves at the end. Even if you miss it, the entire combo is safe if the opponent blocks.

Use the Healing Wind combo (2,1) to end combos if you want to knock the opponent toward the corner, or just far away from Kung Lao. When used outside of a combo, it's safe if the opponent blocks. In addition, the Iron Broom (Back+1,2), Heavy Mountain (Back+3,2,1), and Twin Lock (Forward+3,4) combos are all safe if the opponent blocks and good to use throughout a match.

Last edited: