Why are people offended so damn easily?

Taj Gill

Okay so I've noticed this is a growing trend as years go by. Apparently the term describing it is "progressiveness" but I call it censorship.

Why in the whole wide world are people getting offended more and more easily?

This past Sunday was the last straw for me and it compelled me to rant about this. Unless you live under a rock, you'd probably know by now that Game of Thrones is one of, if not the most popular TV show currently. One of the things that makes it so great is the no holds barred nature of the show, no one is safe, anyone can die, blah blah. It is really gritty and graphic, as the violence in the show is Mortal Kombat-esque, the cursing is rampant and the Sex/Nudity puts the 50 Shades of Grey Movie to shame (no exaggeration).

With all that said, there have been a lot of brutal murders throughout the series, excessive nudity and what not, that some people have to voice their complaints about. Well this past episode brought out the pitchforks in full force. A certain character... Not going to spoil it, gets raped very violently and viciously and she literally just became an adult. The rape isn't shown on screen, just the noises and what not.

You could only imagine the outrage that came after.

People arguing left right and centre about the oppression of women, etc. when this is a freaking work of fiction. Who the hell are you to try to change an Author's work because it goes against your moral compass?

I used to laugh at phrases such as the "pussification of America", but now I'm looking at it like it's true. What is going on with this world? Why are people becoming easily more offended and hiding behind the concept of progressiveness to justify their taking offense?

People expect me to get offended easily by anything given that I'm Lebanese, but I'm not. I've even had people not believe me when I voiced my thoughts about gay rights. I believe what you are saying is true Taj. Sort of like this stupid feminazi thing going on. People are going over the top, especially when it involves double standards. For instance, you'd open a door for a woman and she says,"No thanks I can handle myself." But if you wouldn't have opened the door, she would've scolded you for not acting like a gentleman.

People just like to be butthurt.

It's because people ALWAYS want something to b**** about.
People b****ing and complaining so much that they are "offended" is the reason why we have politically correct characters thrown in, just to appease certain audiences.
I think that I'm more annoyed with the politically correct nature of today's society more than anything.
I don't need entertainment companies shoving changes of sexual preference, race or gender for already established characters down my throat because __________ group of people will get offended, otherwise.
Well, F*** those people.
We don't need an all-female Ghost Busters, Black Johnny Storm or gay Green Lantern.
I don't want a female version of Thor, a male version of Wonder Woman (hypothetically), a white version of Black Panther (hypothetically) or straight version of a gay character, either.
I don't care for gender-washing, white-washing, black-washing or LGBT-washing characters, just for the sake of appeasing to groups.
Come up with some original stuff for original male, female, other races and LGBT characters.

/rant

EDIT:

Kung Jin is an EXCELLENT example of creating an original gay character, without having to do it to an already established MK character, and I'm 100% fine with it.

[MENTION=5028]Commander[/MENTION]

Agreed.

But

The part about the Black Johnny Storm.
It isn't like black people wanted that or the movie needed a token black. The director chose him because he was good friends with that actor and plus, comic characters have inconsistencies all the time.

It's because people ALWAYS want something to b**** about.
People b****ing and complaining so much that they are "offended" is the reason why we have politically correct characters thrown in, just to appease certain audiences.
I think that I'm more annoyed with the politically correct nature of today's society more than anything.
I don't need entertainment companies shoving changes of sexual preference, race or gender for already established characters down my throat because __________ group of people will get offended, otherwise.
Well, F*** those people.
We don't need an all-female Ghost Busters, Black Johnny Storm or gay Green Lantern.
I don't want a female version of Thor, a male version of Wonder Woman (hypothetically), a white version of Black Panther (hypothetically) or straight version of a gay character, either.
I don't care for gender-washing, white-washing, black-washing or LGBT-washing characters, just for the sake of appeasing to groups.
Come up with some original stuff for original male, female, other races and LGBT characters.

/rant

EDIT:

Kung Jin is an EXCELLENT example of creating an original gay character, without having to do it to an already established MK character, and I'm 100% fine with it.

This also irks me to no end. Make NEW characters that fit with the parameters that are set by Political Correctness, why do it to existing characters which we have grown to love by the way they were originally?

HBO was forced to increase the amount of male nudity in Game of Thrones due to allegations of women being objectified. Yet, if you use some logic, at least 85% of the nude females in Game of Thrones are cast as whores. Are whores supposed to be clothed the entire time?

You can please some people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time. I may have offended some of you by saying this.

HBO was forced to increase the amount of male nudity in Game of Thrones due to allegations of women being objectified.

Are you ing serious?

I actually stop watching because of that.
I was tolerant up until about season 5 then I dropped it soon as I saw yet ANOTHER gay sex scene.

Not against gay people or anything but I feel very uncomfortable watching it... especially when my brother or mom walks past.

[MENTION=5028]Commander[/MENTION]

Agreed.

But

The part about the Black Johnny Storm.
It isn't like black people wanted that or the movie needed a token black. The director chose him because he was good friends with that actor and plus, comic characters have inconsistencies all the time.

Well, he may have been a bad example, but my point was that it wasn't the first time that characters are either Black-washed or White-washed.
Kingpin in the Daredevil movie, anyone?

Are you ing serious?

I actually stop watching because of that.
I was tolerant up until about season 5 then I dropped it soon as I saw yet ANOTHER gay sex scene.

Not against gay people or anything but I feel very uncomfortable watching it... especially when my brother or mom walks past.

You being uncomfortable with it would get you branded as homophobic... When it's just genuine disdain for it. Another thing that pisses me off.